Noctisardor Bypass any other phase
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Private 

She couldn't say she blamed Wylla for leaving, though Sequoia did feel like she was owed at least a goodbye from Mahler. He hadn't even said goodbye to Druid as far as she knew. The two of them were just gone, and Sequioa felt her heart harden, just as it had done when she'd found out what Kiwi was capable of.

But Druid was still here, so was @Witch, and Laurel was in no state to travel. The piebald mother remembered when Mahler had asked her to step up and be a leader, and she'd refused. She didn't regret that decision, especially with her bad footing with Wylla, but she wondered now if she'd be forced into it.

She called the few remaining members of Rivenwood hoping to sort out what to do next. Mahler had said they could not call on Duskfire, but he had no say in it now. He had no say in anything now.
No longer speaks Trigedasleng regularly.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
606 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
She didn’t even realize they were gone until her mother told her. Although Druid trusted Sequoia implicitly, she couldn’t help but go and see for herself. She traced Mahler’s scent, which indeed blended with Wylla’s and Phaedra’s, all three leading away from the bypass. She halted there at the borders, staring out into the wilderness, then turned back toward the heart of Rivenwood.

Druid sought her mother’s company again, raising her snout skyward when her dam called. “I’m on my way,” she howled in return, voice quivering slightly. She picked up her pace a little and arrived simultaneously with Witch. Druid gravitated toward her sister, both of them looking to Sequoia.

Witch would probably insist he hadn’t left them willingly, giving Mahler the benefit of the doubt. But Druid saw the writing on the wall. The man who’d raised them like a father had packed up his wife and real daughter, then left without so much as a word of farewell. He’d abandoned them.

This also meant he’d foisted the problem of Laurel onto the mother and sisters. Druid would’ve preferred Laurel leave too, though she knew Sequoia would never stand for that. Although she cared very little for the woman herself, she now understood that Laurel was important to her mother.

Druid found herself at an impasse: she didn’t want to leave Rivenwood, yet if they stayed here with Laurel, it was only a matter of time before Ursus came along and finished the job. They were like sitting ducks.

Mama, she said before Sequoia could say whatever she’d called them here to say, I think we should leave too, but only until it’s safe to return. I don’t want to join another pack or live anywhere else. Rivenwood is my home. It will always be my home.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel's heart had been hardened when she first came to Rivenwood. Fake smiles and un-meant pleasantries were how she lived her life, then. To her own surprise, she found that her interactions with Mahler and Sequoia prompted the occasional genuine smile. Mahler was the one closest to ever figuring out what had happened to her, with Iliksis. She had loved him, in a way. Maybe not as a lover or romantic interest, but not exactly as a friend, either. It was hard to tell what precisely he had been to her. All she knew now was that he had ripped out whatever shreds of her heart she'd opened up for these two Rivenwood wolves to see, and hardened the protective shell over what little was left.

Laurel did not know why Sequoia and her children stuck around. It would be easy enough for them to leave. Mahler had even suggested it as one of his last acts as their leader. Yet, Sequoia stayed; and wanted to help Laurel still.

At Sequoia's call, Laurel limped her way towards it. She was tired of it all. Tired of healing, tired of not being able to go and collect her children. They were right there in Bearclaw Valley, a place that she had once ruled over herself. She'd given a lot of thought to all manner of ideas that had been thrown about. Maybe Duskfire could help, though Laurel knew no one there but the man who'd impregnated her (she had no idea that he was no longer at Duskfire's helm), and she was in no state to travel. Maybe Sequoia could go there and infiltrate, but Laurel did not know she could bear to stay behind and wait like that, especially with Sequoia's own children. If her friend would die, there would be nothing left for Laurel or for Sequoia's children. It was such a huge risk, though Laurel appreciated that her friend was willing to take it.

Druid was already there. Laurel didn't catch what she said (I think?) though looked towards Sequoia with a heavy expression on her face. She felt a fear in her heart that Sequoia would choose to leave her, too. Perhaps it was in part because of that fear that Laurel said: I understand if you have to leave, too. I think — Maybe I should go to Ursus alone, and try to reason with them, try to convince them I want to join them. I might get killed, but I might be able to find them and get them out. They're... She looked at Sequoia to show that her next statement was untrue, They're all I have, anyway. Laurel held onto her heart, and it showed on her face that she was afraid of what Sequoia might say to her now. Laurel wasn't sure if she was more afraid Sequoia would convince Laurel to risk her own life, or if she was more afraid that Sequoia would agree with Laurel and inform her that she and her children would be on their way out of Laurel's life, too.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Druid seemed to want to leave, but Sequoia wasn't having it. I am not leaving, she said, her tone firm. If Ursus came again, they could run, but Sequoia wouldn't be pushed out before anything had happened. Merrick had the children, and Sequoia thought it unlikely that they would come again so soon. Mahler and Wylla could leave, but Sequoia wouldn't leave Laurel here. She was in no state to travel, made even more obvious when she'd gone after Mahler post-meeting.

Laurel arrived, and Sequoia repeated herself. I am not leaving. Druid and Witch could go to Duskfire if they wished, but Sequoia would not be yet another wolf to run away. You have me, Laurel. We'll figure something out. We just need time. You know Merrick better than any of us. Do you think he's likely to attack again so soon? she asked.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
606 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
She didn’t want to leave, not truly, so it was reassuring when Sequoia firmly countered her, repeating Druid’s own words at the meeting not so long ago. Since her heart wasn’t really in it, she made no argument. She only nodded silently, her heart beating hard in her chest as she exchanged looks with Witch. What did this mean for them?

Druid’s ears folded back when Laurel arrived, looking worse for wear. She had nearly forgotten about her children. Druid’s back stiffened but she remained mum as the two older women exchanged words. She didn’t want any part in that, nor did she want Sequoia or Witch dragged into it either. It sounded to her like Laurel herself didn’t consider them unified; each mother and child trio was an entirely separate family.

But that wasn’t how Sequoia operated. “You have me, Laurel.” Druid blinked and let out a small sigh. Still she said nothing, though she turned inward, delving deep into her thoughts. Sequoia and Laurel might have seniority here, yet she and Witch were young adults now and should absolutely get a say. And not, she thought, her heart hardening, as some sort of afterthought, like Mahler had done at the meeting.

We should rebuild the pack, Druid said quietly, then cleared her throat and spoke up louder. We should recruit. If we get strong enough, we don’t have to worry about attacks. And we can just go to Ursus and demand they give Abel and Indra back, or we’ll wipe them out, she said with surprising vehemence. And I think we should only recruit women, Druid added, a sneer in her very soul.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel expected Sequoia to turn on her, too, unwilling to hold on to any sort of hope in her battered heart. She was the only one she could trust. Her and her alone. Besides, a part of her was unwilling to get Sequoia hurt. When younger, Laurel'd always dragged Indra into her whimsical decisions — one of which brought you here, dearest, one of which drove your nephew mad — and had not often thought of all the consequences. Something seemed to be changing with age, and perhaps there was a weariness in Laurel, too, that made some part of her desire to give up.

Sequoia would have none of that, though. Surprise flashed across Laurel's face for a moment as her only friend stuck by her rather than leave with the family that she did have left.

At Sequoia's question, Laurel numbly shook her head. After a moment, she said, I — I think that he took them because he knows... He knows it's worse than taking my life. Because you took his mother away, dearest. So he would do the same to you. Take them away from their mother. It wasn't precisely the same, but Iliksis had a point. If I'd be dead, there'd be no use keeping them. Laurel could not imagine, at least, that Merrick would want to keep Indra — namesake and lookalike of the mother that he killed — alive. If any, then maybe Abel... But she didn't see any point in him taking them other than to torture her.

However, Laurel did feel some urgency in retrieving them, even if she didn't think that them staying in Rivenwood was problematic for the near future. Druid suggested that they should recruit and amass an army, basically. It was a good thought, and Laurel saw Druid in a new light as she spoke so strongly of growing strong and defeating the enemy. However, it would take too long, simply put. Unless they'd know where to find an army right now.

No men, Laurel reiterated as she looked at Druid with a solemn, almost conspiratory nod. It was something that Laurel had said many times before, but she'd never acted on it. Now was perhaps more the time than any, after watching yet another man follow his dick rather than his heart.

Even though I don't think he'll attack again soon, we really need to work on getting Abel and Indra back quickly. Especially Indra, she looks almost precisely like my sister. He must be treating her terribly because of that. He's a madman. He'll kill her if she gets on his bad side, if he has a bad day, or if he decides he needs the punishment of taking them away and ruining their lives isn't enough for me. Laurel's worst nightmare every single day right now was finding Indra's corpse splattered across Rivenwood's borders. Duskfire is a good start. Indra and Abel's father is their Alpha. Wintersbane. He's a friend of Mahler. Laurel had no idea that he was dead. He doesn't know they exist, but maybe it's enough to get him to help us. Maybe if we can get another pack to help, we stand a chance to make demands of Ursus.

Laurel also could not help but think, There must be other packs who have trouble with Ursus. Maybe there's a chance if we can find another who's against them? Or... Or some other pack who's willing to help? Laurel was grasping at straws by this point. She had no friends except the one that had just pledged to help her, and she couldn't travel too far with her bad shoulder to try and make friends elsewhere.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Slowly, but surely, their plan began to come together. They would recruit women—no men—into their ranks. Sequoia had only ever been spurned by them, so why not go that route? In the next breath, however, Laurel was suggesting they go to Duskfire and call on Indra and Abel's father.

I will check with the nearby packs, but I won't go to Duskfire seeking their father specifically, least of all using Mahler's name. They know Druid, and they trust her, so they should trust me, too. It's been awhile since I've stretched my ambassador muscles, but I know they're still there. I'll see who else I can recruit while I'm out and about.

Funny how easy it was to slip into being a leader when there were no men around to make her feel silly about it. And no Wylla to take it the wrong way.

I'll leave at first light tomorrow. The three of you can stay here, lie low, and I'll be back with as many women as I can gather and hopefully some good news. Finding women this time of year might prove difficult, but perhaps if Sequoia could arrange something similar as Mahler had done for her, it would work. The promise of a place for children (sans the men, of course).

Laurel, you'll stay here and assess anybody who I send back. Druid and Witch, you can get the new recruits settled. Sequoia felt better and better about this the more she spoke of it. For the first time since she'd come back to the Teekon Wilds, she felt like she had purpose outside of being a mother (although that purpose continued to be her tip-top priority).
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
606 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Duskfire Glacier is gone, Druid said softly, a pang in her breast as she thought of Heda. She already missed her sister sorely, though she was glad she was out of reach of this. Heda said they were moving to a mountain far to the west. And she didn’t think their leader’s name was Wintersbane, though Druid wasn’t sure enough to speak to that. Besides, it wasn’t really relevant, was it?

She thought about mentioning Sapphique, yet she didn’t want to drag Mireille and her family into this mess, either. But they were certainly a pack of strong women, so perhaps it would be wise to call upon them. Druid bit at her lip, sending furtive glances at Witch as they seemed to have a conversation in absolute silence.

Before she could make up her mind, her mother outlined a plan. Druid replied, I will hunt for us. They would probably be eating a lot of fish in the coming days. And Witch and I will do patrols, she added. She didn’t aspire to be a guardian, but they needed to keep watch and protect their home. I’d like to assess too, she concluded, two-toned gaze resting thoughtfully on Sequoia’s face.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Sequoia took charge, which was a load off Laurel's mind. With Indra, it was always Laurel who was the mastermind, and since the death of her sister, it was always Laurel who had to be her own mastermind. Now there was finally someone new that she trusted. Someone that made her feel like they were actually going to succeed at getting back the children. Sequoia didn't address the hurry that Laurel noted specifically, but Laurel felt it in the way she quickly formed and proposed a plan.

She nodded as Sequoia told her she would stay here to assess the new recruits. Honestly, any woman would be welcome as far as Laurel was concerned.

Druid said Duskfire was gone. An unwelcome surprise, as they wouldn't be able to use their former ties to the pack. Laurel said, We should only recruit women. But if there are any packs nearby led by men or other powerful men you run into, there's no harm in letting them believe we need a white knight if that means they'll expend their resources to help us. As long as we don't let ourselves be fooled into believing the same. Words Laurel had taught Indra a long time ago. Druid said she wanted to help assess recruits too, and that much was fair. Laurel nodded in silent agreement to that. Druid and her hadn't been particularly close up to this point despite Laurel's closeness to Sequoia, but now that it was just the four of them, those things were about to change.
408 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
last one from me, i think? unless something warrants another reply. <3

Gone? And they hadn’t told anyone except for Druid? Sequoia silently cursed them, but they were probably the best bet. Well, maybe they left a trail or somebody behind. I’ll check just in case, then see if I can find out where they went. It couldn’t hurt to try.

Druid also mentioned wanting to assess, and Sequoia nodded. The more the recruits were liked by the core wolves here, the better.

As for Laurel’s comment, Seq would take it under consideration, but she wasn’t holding her breath. She was done relying on men to do anything of importance. They had to do this their way, and Seq really didn’t know of any men she could trust, even if she were deceiving them.

I’m going to go grab a bite and rest up for tomorrow. She looked at the rag-tag group, the hope of a smile on her face. We’ll be okay.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
606 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Sequoia nodded at her request. Druid felt empowered by her mother’s acknowledgement. Mahler had addressed herself and Witch as if they were afterthoughts during the meeting. But they were grown, natives of Rivenwood. Druid felt they had both earned an equal say in the pack’s fate. Having proposed their new plan, she felt even more entitled to seeing it through and driving them toward a brighter future.

Yes, mama, Druid said, exchanging a quick look with Witch and another with Laurel. She nodded and said decisively, We’ll be more than okay.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel nodded to everything that was said by Sequoia and by Druid.

It was tough to hear that they'd be okay. It was perhaps easier to say for Sequoia, who at least had both her children here, with her. Laurel didn't have the same luxury. She was all alone, and every day that passed was a danger to her children, who were captives. Especially Indra. Merrick had murdered Laurel's sister, Indra's namesake, and they looked so much alike... With how mad Merrick was, it was a risk for her to just be near him.

Laurel didn't get angry about it, though. Instead she just nodded numbly, suddenly feeling very tired. Druid said they'd be more than okay, and while Laurel felt doubt in her heart, she smiled at the girl's words and optimism. Thanks. All of you, she said in the end, exchanging glances with Sequoia, Druid and Witch. I think I'll take a rest, too. Laurel nodded at mother and daughters and then made to take her leave. She hated being able to do nothing but wait, but she knew that it would be stupid to just rush at Ursus and try to take them back, or try to convince Merrick that she had some merit to keep around. No, Sequoia was right, and however much Laurel hated to admit it, all they could do for now was wait.