Redtail Rise Phoenix
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
432 Posts
Ooc —
just chucking this in here, last for me <3

Sister against sister, might against might.

Riley rose to defend Masque, but it was over before he could take two steps. She sat pinned to the ground, her bad leg taken out underneath her.

Her flaming arc cut to a finish before it ever even started.

The rest of the wolves were watchful. He noted Mulherin flank to Redd, as Redd postured before New Snow and Mountain Boulder.

This fuckin' family, man. Riley had his own taste of familial troubles -- after all, he came from Laurel. His aunt tried to drown him, his mother tried to replace him, his own cousin and second niece all tried to murder him -- but at least in his family, the dynamics had been out in the open.

In the Rise, it was like juggling a Russian Nesting Doll with a coiled viper inside. Which roulette game was it today?

Masque moved away, limping and eyes adverted. For a long while, Riley studied Redd -- the Rise's newest and surprising usurper.

Then he walked after Masque, one ear turned behind him should any turn on him too.
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
649 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
it was over swiftly.

the boy supported blood star. the man moved off with thorn caller.

all at once, the young caru would find that they were in a similar position to the youthful pair which had already dispersed.

his yellow eyes followed thorn caller as they went, but then blood star approached once more.

peace.

his body relaxed; his eyes fell to slits; the pale ears splayed. 

like her mother before her, he kissed the fierce chin and howled a note to proclaim her wealda.

and then he too looked to new snow, still unsure but willing to keep as they were while peace was held.

the den in the bloodwood remained their own.
Pledged
Dragonspine
881 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade looked up just in time to watch Mulherin nuzzle Redd’s chin. She quickly looked down again, her heart in her throat. It was much more bruised than her ego. That smarted too, of course, but it was grief that washed through her now as she remembered just what they’d been fighting over: their dead mother’s title.

Masque hung her head, body trembling. She was exhausted and in pain. But she tried to rally, at least to acknowledge Redd’s victory. Masque didn’t want to be a sore loser. And if anybody tried to refute Redd’s claim to the Wealda title, the Caru would be the first to leap to her defense, the past few minutes aside.

Riley drifted toward her. Masque looked up again, the fire in her heart snuffing out abruptly when she realized nobody else had come over to check on her. Her heart froze in her chest and began to sink. It plummeted at the sound of Mountain Boulder’s proclamation.

Still nobody looked her way, save for the dark Ulfr. Was the rest of the pack going to shun her now? Would Redd and New Snow chase her away? Was Masque about to lose the only home she’d ever known, just days after losing her mother?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Bjern
98 Posts
Ooc — H2O
one post wonder, just wanted to keep her involved! skippable <3

she had come late, and perhaps it would be the quiet rumblings of her sister and parents that would fill in the blanks. sunrise did her best to hide the sharper glint in her eye as she looked upon the other red girl, feeling her ego bruised from the elk savagery-- she had been shoved away, and she couldn't quite understand why. there is forgiveness in her savage heart, and yet there is an unwillingness tor forget. this new red girl is watched closely.

she comes close to her parents, rumbling quietly, and would join the call to support the new title holder. sunrise knew her place thus far, and felt no need to spark more tension. with their family together, perhaps they would seek a decision that would make or break the rise. for now, she forces herself to be pacified with the unity of the rise.

Sunrise is a nonverbal character and communicates using facial expression, body language, and primitive vocalization. Please see her pawprints for more details on threading with her! 
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
304 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It was a long moment, waiting for their deliberation.  Her interference might have changed nothing, and if it had, she could have turned the entire pack against herself in a single moment.  Redd was not the familiar presence her sibling was, nor the steady presence the wordless pair presented.  She was new.  An outsider in her own home.

And now, a usurper.

Thankfully both accepted, and she felt a grateful calm when the hunt lead took a step further and signaled the change himself.  She had intended to announce it herself, but instead joined her voice with his.  Informing all not present that stability would continue.

Harmony was not a guarantee yet.

Redd turned to find Masquerade still present, not gone as she had assumed might happen.  She did not know how she would be received, but stepped towards them with a cautious and searching look, tail relaxed.  Their conflict was done - there was no need for posturing.  But her understanding of Masquerade’s willingness to follow her was shaken.

She hoped they would come and provide this answer, but she would not force it right now.  There had been enough conflict here.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
256 Posts
Ooc — April
They come to an agreement, for now. Redd would lead. 

From the corner of his eye he could see Masquerade. The pain in their gaze spears him.

It hurt, but his stance was clear. Division was to be avoided. In the least, he is glad they are not alone—it seemed Riley had taken to their side.

He woofs a low note, regarding the rest of the Rise with an easygoing wag of his tail, and rushes off after Masque.
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Dragonspine
881 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade stiffened when Redd finally turned to acknowledge her. Her sister looked surprised to see her there, which confused her. Her eyes cut to the other faces, wondering. Did they all expect her to leave now? But where would she go?

The new Wealda approached and Masque held her breath, though it turned out there was nothing to fear from Redd. Every notion of fight or flight emptied from her, immense relief taking its place. She reached out to touch her nose to her litter mate’s jaw.

I don’t know what came over me, she said, which was true, barely resisting the urge to glance at New Snow. I don’t even want those things… Masque said on a long exhale, then nosed Redd’s chin again. This is what I want.

Redd was Wealda. Hopefully Masquerade could maintain their role in the pack, their sister’s staunchest supporter just like they’d always been Avicus’s. Only time would tell, just as it would heal all wounds.

For now, they were in pain. They were exhausted too. Masque bowed their head to the queen, then retreated without looking at anybody else.

I hope it’s okay to tack this on here, as I know this thread is concluding. If anyone needs me to remove it so they can post beforehand, just tap me! <3
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
304 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Redd accepted the explanation thankfully, but as Masquerade left, her gaze followed with a troubled light.  Things were as resolved as they could be right now, but there was an air of ill ease to all of this, as if the entire rise were a house of cards a misplaced breeze could send flying.

Redd would remain to greet and reassure any who needed it, but she would not seek out those who parted to take space just yet.  It was not in her nature to press.  Inevitably, these problems would find her, and when they did she would handle them as they came.

wrapping this here if that’s alright!!  Last for Redd at least <3
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
649 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
last for me too!

it was over.

thorn caller relented, not only in word but in gesture.

they retreated. huntlead exchanged a long look with wealda, then set off, gesturing to his mate and daughters if they wished to follow him on patrol.
Redtail Rise
Caru*
310 Posts
Ooc — ???
New Snow stood still, after, uncertain for a moment. Not desiring to upset Bloodspot, she did not approach her then, but when the woman looked her way her gaze was softer, and then averted respectfully. 

She herself did not want Wealda. New Snow wanted children, and to look after the ones that would come from not only herself but these two before her. By nature, New Snow was typically submissive and docile—though it appeared otherwise, when challenged on the matter of building her family. 

And so New Snow found her own line. It was something she would fight for, and perhaps the only thing she had bared her fangs toward another of the Rise about. But even still, New Snow felt conflicted. The Rise was her home, and these wolves she was loyal to—but were they, without Red Woman, loyal to her? 

Her gaze turned to the new Wealda. It had been answered by her actions. Gratitude lingered in her gaze. And then she looked to the other children of the Rise, who also seemed to be content with the outcome and not fall into what New Snow had seen in the place she herself was born. It was an ugly thing, setting another into the role of Omega—or forcing them out of the home they had always known. 

She remembered her own mother snapping at her heels, her youngest of siblings badgering with her while the oldest and some of her own litter mates looked on, uncertain. Her mother had known her daughter more than New Snow had then recognized, who at that time did not even dream of motherhood. Only the wide open white plains and those of her first family occupied them, then! 

But as she turned now to look at her man, she was glad her mother recognized this within her before she herself ever could. Never had she thought it cruelty, as it was the way of things—but now she believed it to be something good, and even right. 

New Snow could not blame the Caru for her actions, and would not begrudge her for them. For this was also the way of the wild. Bloodspot was a fledgling woman, and her mother was no longer there to guide her through the things to come. 

Once more did her eyes turn to her, softer still—but still she was rooted, having the sense to grasp now the root of this at least. And when her man moved, New Snow nipped gently at his hip and would follow, looking back to loose an encouraging note to her daughters in invitation before stepping after him.