Swiftcurrent Creek we fell through the ice when we tried not to slip
Pledged
1,540 Posts
Ooc — xynien
In truth she had hardly registered Lestan's presence until he spoke. Sunlit eyes flicked to him and did not leave, not until Akavir spoke. For a moment she didn't understand, couldn't comprehend the implications. Then she did.
Us. Such a simple word, yet it changed everything for Reverie; to hear that Lestan would leave with her, for her, because of her — that was all she'd really wanted from him. It didn't matter what Akavir said after that. Reverie hardly heard it. He chose me, she thought, a little dizzy. He chose me, even after I hurt him so terribly.
She did hear some of what Akavir said. Enough to know that he was not sorry he had hurt her — and that Lestan had been the true target of this betrayal. And Jakoul was gone. Reverie wasn't sure what to do with that last bit; it hurt, to know the woman she'd befriended had disappeared, but the feeling was lost somewhere in all that she had to deal with in the moment.
Lestan would never hurt me, Reverie said quietly, her last words to Akavir's retreating form. She turned, briefly pressing her nose to Lestan's shoulder in a gesture meant for comfort and solidarity — and then she moved back toward their den, feeling strangely numb in spite of her anger. It was worse, somehow, to know that it was Lestan he had distrusted enough to send Kel. Lestan was his family, his packmate, likely the reason he tolerated Reverie at all. Shouldn't Akavir have known that Lestan would never do anything so horrible?
She might have been able to forgive Akavir for hurting her, but she could never forgive him for trying to do the same to Lestan.
Messages In This Thread
RE: we fell through the ice when we tried not to slip - by Reverie - April 26, 2023, 07:49 AM