Duskfire Glacier bittersüß
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
All Welcome 
set for tomorrow at dawn. @Takiyok but AW. taking some liberties as it seemed others were taken with his fight thread

it was a day's journey from noctisardor to the glacier where the winterwhite woman had said her pack resided. mahler traveled in a grim silence, chewing on the frayed end of a marrowbone as he went. his efforts to claim the bypass had gone unchallenged, but thus far, no one had joined him there. it was of little consequence for now, as he planned still to bank down for the snowy months alone, but the prevailing presence of the weak pack nearby addled him.
the glacier loomed soon above him; dawnlight had seen the kill of a stoat, a lucky snap of teeth. he bore its long body along the ridgeline, holding far back from the borders; dropping the thing coiled at his wide paws, mahler tilted back his crown and requested takiyok's presence once more with a long croon.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The malguk had risen long before the sun as usual. Sleep was a waste of time that could be better spent with more productive things. She had first checked in on Sia to see how he was doing and if he needed anything from her. Whatever issues they had before he got sick were put aside for now; all she wanted was for her brother to get better, and she had gladly taken over all leadership responsibilities while he healed. After he had assured her that he didn't require anything, Taki went on to start her morning patrol. 

The sun had peaked over the mountains announcing the morning while she made her way along the borders. It had been a quiet morning, and she had seen no packmates so far. She assumed most were either still asleep or just waking, not keeping anywhere near the strange sleep schedule she did. The call broke through the quiet and halted her steps, her ears twitching towards the sound. It was the male she had raced in the valley not too long ago, and curiosity urged her to answer his summons. 

She found him a ways from the borders, weasel on the ground at his feet, and the malguk stopped a few steps away. She met his lavender gaze, offering no spoken greeting as her snowy face held an inquisitive expression, seeking the reason for his call.
Inuttuk
Common

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
edit to reflect wounds

it was not until takiyok appeared that mahler considered what it might seem: less of a business arrangement and more the sort of social call a man might make upon a woman. ashdark ears flicked — mahler set this carefully aside to consider later — and focused on the impassive nature of her features. "for you, frau," he muttered, nudging the prey toward her with a quick motion before lifting his muzzle once more. the pull of it caused him to wince; the great wound along the side of his neck still oozed blood from beneath soft scabs.
"i have come to ask for help, and to offer my services in return." mahler saw no reason to waste the woman's time with idle prattle; small talk was not a strength of his, and there was no reason for it now.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
It wasn't until he pushed his the carcass towards her that she noticed his wound. The briefest look of concern crossed her face, but she kept her questions to herself for now. Thank you, was all she said, showing her appreciation for his gift. 

He got right to the reason for his visit, something she was grateful for. Mahler stated that he needed her help and was willing to offer his help in return. She was instantly curious as to why he needed her help specifically. His offering of his services in return only furthered her interest. What could a lone wolf possibly offer a wolf with the advantage of a pack that would come to her aid with just once quick call. She regarded him somewhat suspiciously, studying him with her citrine gaze. What is it that you need help with? she wanted to know first. As curious as she was to find out how he could help her, she first needed to know what kind of help he required from her. She had a pack to worry about after all; she couldn't exactly go traipsing into trouble like she might have in the past.
Inuttuk
Common

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
he had little to offer in the face of her own and powerful pack, but the shadowpriest was not unaware of his own strengths, nor the compromises he was willing to make for his own ideals. however, asking takiyok for aid to do something he himself had not been able to accomplish chafed the man, and he passed rosy tongue-tip across his lips before continuing.
"are you familiar with the pack in the maplewood, frau?" he inquired, turning to tilt his muzzle in that direction. "their continued presence there keeps away herds that might othervise settle, though they are too veak to hunt them. i did not kill their boy king when i had him; that fault is mine." his lilac eyes rested upon the ground now; mahler cleared his throat. "alone, i cannot drive them off. with some small aid, it might be done, and the wood would belong to you as extended hunting grounds."
"but your duties are to your pack, and i vould understand if you vill not offer help, as it is a problem that does not concern you." exhausted by the long-winded nature of his explanation, the man lapsed into a silence, awaiting the negative reply he was sure would come.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
When he asked about the pack in the maplewood, her ears flattened briefly in irritation. She knew that pack well, and she held no good feelings for them. She nodded but waited to say anything until he finished. She thought it was a shame he hadn't killed a their leader too, even though she had no idea who he was referring to. In her opinion, they deserved whatever they got. It seemed he wanted her assistance driving them out, and it was oh so tempting. This was a golden opportunity for revenge dropped right in her lap, but she hesitated. She wanted to agree, but he was right about her duties to her pack. What position would it put them in if she waged war on a neighboring pack? She would surely have to get the approval of her packmates to incite a potential threat to glacier. She thought her brother certainly wouldn't agree, and she didn't think she could trouble him with all of this while he was so sick. 

Finally, she released a small sigh. I have to admit, I have less than unpleasant feelings towards that pack, she started, anger filling her expression. I would love nothing more than to help you give them what they deserve. The second statement came out through gritted teeth as she fought to control her hate. I don't know that I can bring that kind of trouble on my pack, though. She sighed again, unsure whether she should admit the next part, but deciding to anyway. My brother is sick, and I am currently the glacier's sole leader while he heals. If something happened to me, it could put my pack in a dangerous position. She watched his expression as she said that part, studying his reaction to such a sensitive piece of information. I'm not sure I can be so selfish as to take this on for my own revenge, she added shaking her head. Still, she was curious. What do you have planned? the showy leader asked with devious interest. Maybe she could find some other way to help him out.
Inuttuk
Common

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
takiyok's reaction to his news of the maplewood pack broke her usual stoic impassivity; the annoyance that flashed across her features charmed mahler, as did the rage that built behind the click of her teeth. the man wished to ask what the weakened wolves had done, perhaps in a stronger time, to engender such a response in the woman, but did not inquire for now. duty vied with instinct, but the former won; his request was denied.
and yet mahler was not disappointed. takiyok had granted him a reason for such; she could not leave her pack, not in a time of trouble such as this. however, her intrigue was unabated, and an amused expression shone thereafter in his lavender stare. "i promised the boy that i vould be back. he is vounded, and a second attack might mean his life. i doubt he vill risk it, however."
the child was a fool, but returning with open gashes to his pack would undermine his position as leader, if not worry the maplewood wolves about his ability to protect them. mahler's own lacerations had been given gladly in sacrifice. "for now, frau, i vill vait, and if the opportunity presents itself, i vill strike a second time. another member of the pack, perhaps."
pleased that they seemed to share a common annoyance in the continued presence of the stubborn pack, the musiker fell silent. the ire and interest that limned her features had begun to cause a stir in some coiled part of him that was not truly understood, and he wanted to leave, but propriety suggested he stay until takiyok had dismissed him.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
To her pleasure, he informed her that he intended to return and finish the job. She wondered which wolf he was referring to when he spoke of a boy. Last she heard, morningside was not lead by a boy, but she wouldn't be surprised if their stupidity had left them with an inept leader. She would certainly be happy to see the pack's demise, even if she wouldn't have the delight of partaking in the event that rips their claim from them. 

When he stated he would wait to see if another opportunity presented itself, she nodded. I can keep an eye out for you as well--let you know if I hear anything that might be useful to you, the malguk offered. It was the least she could since her responsibilities kept her from a more active role in his plans. I scout the lands around the glacier frequently; maybe it will provide me with something for you. 

She was fond of the lavender-eyed male; so far he seemed strong and intelligent, which were always attractive qualities to the snowy leader. He was someone she'd like to have in her pack. She wouldn't ask, though. He seemed like the type that would have asked for himself if it was something he wanted; much like her. 

Is there anything else I can do for you? she asked. She enjoyed his company but as usual, Taki had little time to indulge in such things.
Inuttuk
Common

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler could ask no more; the northerner's offer far exceeded what he had been expecting, and he dipped his broad muzzle respectfully to her. "danke — er, thank you, takiyok." likewise, if the gargoyle came across anything in his patrols that might have been of interest to her, he would bring it.
hers was the first pack in some time that mahler had considered joining, but remembrances of grimnismal's fall, and swiftcurrent's disappointments, kept the man's impulses firmly checked. as of late, he did not consider himself a pack-beast, and felt still as if he would chafe beneath a ruler.
even her.
"no. that is all i vished," mahler rejoined crisply, knowing their meet would draw soon to a close. and yet, and yet he lingered, glanced into the orange and licking flame of her eyes before fixing them on some distant point. "but i vonder if i might call upon you again, frau, in the future." he was unsure of what it was he wanted to ask, but trusted his own articulation, and fell silent to await her response.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She nodded once in response to his thanks, slightly curious about whatever language he started the sentence with, but stowing it away for possibly another time. 

He stated he didn't need anything else from her today, gaze trapping hers for one intense moment before looking away. His next question came as kind of a surprise to the malguk, and she paused briefly before answering. I guess that depends on what you mean by call on me, she replied, a little reluctant to lower her walls, even if she did find his presence enjoyable. Maybe that's why her walls remained steadfast in the first place; liking to be around someone usually led to some kind of attachment, which meant vulnerability--something she was not very good at. Still, she was getting ahead of herself, her mind throwing worst-case scenarios at her like always. It was possible he just wanted company throughout the winter; someone to help him hunt, which she saw no harm in doing occasionally as long as her pack was fed first. Above all, she was curious, and so she waited for him to answer, no hints on her face at the business of her mind.
Inuttuk
Common

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
of course she would ask what he meant; he did not know takiyok to be an illogical, flighty beast. like he, she was focused upon what data there was to be had, couched in a firmness that befit a leader. he was caught rather off-guard, though this did not show upon the gargoyle's countenance.
but mahler must not let too much time lapse following the pale woman's question. there was a balance in all things, and he must strike it. "to share your company, and you mine. perhaps a hunt, if the day allows it." it would not be an oft thing; mahler had duties in noctisardor, and the business of driving out the maplewood wolves.
was it courting? he did not think so, and firmly put the thought from his head.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
The malguk nodded once in response to his explanation. Alright, she offered. What he asked was easy enough and didn't require too much from her. Good luck with the maplewood pack, she added with a raise of an eyebrow. She would be keeping an eye on the situation--quietly rooting for the stalwart male and keeping an eye out for anything that might be helpful. She glance back towards her claim before turning her fiery gaze back on Mahler and stating, I must get back now. Duty called, and she needed to check on Sia again. 

She turned to leave, pausing after a few steps to turn her head and offer him a nod over her shoulder. Then, she padded off through the snow unless stopped.
Inuttuk
Common