Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Private 
@Maia 

Almost two months now on the road and the two Redleaf sisters were still going strong and had not lost enthusiasm for adventures. Sure, with the temperatures dropping it had got harder to find food and there were day or two inbetween meals, but they were together and, when there was no meal on the dinner table, there were tasty stories, to keep the mind occupied. Wraen had had some doubts and reservations about her younger sibling joining her, fearing that the girl was doing it in a spur of emotions, that she had not realized, where she had got herself into, that she would eventually be disappointed in her older sister, but time had flown and this was proven to be all wrong. And Wraen admitted to herself that it would have been a lot harder for her to cope, if it had not been for her sister's cheerful company. 

During their travels that had led them from Sunspire, through Kintla flatlands, to Greatbear wilderness, alongside coast and eventually brought them to the side of the valley, where in a far-off kingdom their brother Terance resided. Due to the weather conditions that were more favourable here than anywhere else, they had remained here from time being. They had spent most of the time together, but sometimes they would have to split up for the day, in order to cover more ground in search for suitable hunting options. And in the evenings they would meet and recap each other of that day's events.

Thus Maia had heard the hilarious story about, how Wraen had got scared by a tiny weasel with an ego of an elephant in Quartz caverns. How later she had found that the ghostly voice had come from under a bear skull. How Nynka had bargained, thinking herself very smart and cunning, without realizing that the wolf she tried to fool was messing with her as well.

She told about meeting the love-struck young man Whiskers by the lake, who had sincerely believed that she and her were a match made in heaven. How he had introduced himself with sticking his nose into her ear, slobbering all over it and declaring that she was the most beautiful girl he had seen in town. And, how he had been ready to follow her home right away and how she had barely managed to get rid of him. There was a bit of guilty conscience her as well, because she had not met him at the same place, same time as she had promised. But he was going to be fine.

She had told about Liri and Kavik, who were her friends from Blacktail deer plateau, who had offered them help and shelter, in case they ever needed it. That they were their allies, even if the two sisters were no longer part of Sunspire. And that maybe, just maybe, if conditions got very harsh and they would have no other options, they could join these wolves for a while to hunt together and bring down big game. 

There was this tall-dark stranger that had spoken about meeting gods and had wondered about stars and their secrets. He had been a mysterious fellow and probably the moon-light and darkness of the night had given him a greater aura of mystery than it would have been, had they met under bright daylight. She told Maia about, how he had claimed to connect with the Night mother and Dread father, and did not recall Osprey ever mentioning them, when she had passed on the lore and mythology to her children.

She told about running into Seabreeze and, how she had come to peace with her and how they had managed to put the past to rest. Their niece and nephew were doing as good as two children from a split up family could do. And that the two sisters were welcome to visit them in their new home. Not too far, from where they had stationed now. A while later she revealed actually running into Ibis and was caught up reminiscing about, what an angel she had been as a baby, and how much she had grown up and changed now.

Wraen mentioned the piebald Drageda girl - another pack by the coast - recapped their conversation on mythology, beliefs, life lessons and funny words in the Common tongue. She also shared the Dragedaslang words she had learned, but was not very convinced that she had repeated them the right way. But, what was important, there was another invitation to a different pack. A possible friendship, a possible alliance in time of need. A place they could explore together at some point and learn more about.

She had laughter in her eyes, when she retold about encountering two different, but hilarious men in Barrow fields. A russet yearling, who had been confused and baffled by her presence and stumbled for words. And yet another dark, tall, stranger - cocky, cheeky, over-confident, somewhat funny, but something about him had made Wraen wary and she advised her sister to be careful as well.

Wraen also had explained, why she wanted to stay on this particular part of the coast. About the fat, awkward, loud and rude sea-lions that frequented these shores and, how she would like to give a try in hunting them down. Knowing that Maia was always a hungrier than herself, if they managed to hunt even one, they would have full-bellies for a week or more. She added information about a pack that lived on an island, which was connected by a sand bridge, when the tide was low. Asked her to watch out for the islanders. The one she had met, had been friendly, but, who knew, what others could be like. 

Her running into Charon's daughter was also no secret and, if Maia did not know this already or had not been informed of the details, why Wraen was Moonspear's public enemy No.2 (No.1 going to that black-masked bitch, who had attacked Charon with her sharing the second place with Blackfeather woods), and why it was not advisable to boast about, who they were, near those packlands. She told about the history between her, the king of the mountain and it's three-headed beast and how it was not safe, because Charon's hounds could be on the prowl. Invisible, inaudible, but still there, watching quietly. 

All this, naturally, was many weeks worth of tales, there being many days inbewteen, where nothing of great importance had happened. Tonight Wraen returned to their shared den in the forest, bringing back a rabbit that she had hunted down in the meadows, and with yet another story to share with her beloved sister. The hunter put her kill on the ground, tipped her head back and called for her.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia had listened, with rapt attention as she could manage, while Wraen relayed each of these stories.  The mention of Whiskers creeped her out, honestly, and put in her mind that if she spotted him sniffing around she'd have to kick his butt and make him think twice.  No matter that Wraen was definitely older and able to make her own calls in that regard.

The rest were entertaining, though, particularly the weasel, and Maia found herself only a little put out to have missed it.  Imagine!  

Drageda sparked a memory of that one handsome boy in the cave, and her interest was peaked even more during that discussion, though she tried not to seem too eager.  Like as not he was long gone, because this girl seemed nothing like him.  But her interest was definitely more forthcoming when it came to exploring this pack; even enthusiastic, though quickly cut through with a 'I mean, if we have time, with all the other cool stuff' because she had to keep it chill.

She in turn told her own tales, albeit less.  Most were just depictions of hunting exploits, prey she'd found and some she'd managed to catch (while others she'd missed).  The bear was a feature, and the male who'd said he knew them from some Maple place.  It was only as she recounted it that she remembered him; she'd been with Wraen, after all, when they met the first time.  The bear had frightened her so much, however, that she couldn't even remember if he'd given a name.

Maia was on another boring hunt when Wraen called to her, but wasn't having much luck.  She'd just lost the trail, so with a shrug she turned and returned, jogging at her usual moderate pace to get there.  When she arrived she came forward and tapped her forehead to her sister's side, rubbing an affectionate greeting and taking her scent.  Chances were she was bringing another interesting tale!  Maia would have to return back something else, but that was alright, she'd think of something cool.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Someone's happy," Wraen said, when she had received Maia's very affectionate greeting and had replied with her own, by turning to nuzzle her sister's nape. It was great to have someone to return home to - it occurred to her that, in fact, these past few months she had carried her home with her all along. After all, the places did not matter as much as the people you were together with. And Maia had proved to be an excellent company.

"I brought dinner, unless you slayed a dragon in my absence and ate that," she gestured to the rabbit that was lying on the ground and smiled. "I snatched it away right in front of another wolf's nose. Good thing it was a familiar wolf, or you would have seen some battle scars too," she told, lying down and beginning to groom her paws. "How was your day?"
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Yeah I am!  You won't believe what I've been doin all day, she said, her tone drawn out and exaggerated as she smiled.  No dragons, but I swear, this moose I was tracking must've been a ghost moose because it vanished into thin air.  Freaky!  She flopped down.  The fact that even with her sister they would have had an impossible time taking down a moose didn't entirely escape her... she just figured maybe it was a small one? In the middle of winter?  Common sense would likely never be a strong suit of hers.

Really though?! Who'd you nab it from?  Were they real angry? Of course Wraen had gotten away with it though, she was the coolest like that.  Even if that other wolf had attacked her, she woulda won no problem, no doubt!
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Angry? No, I think he was smitten," Wraen replied with a mischievous grin. "Sunny from Morningside - he is a tad bit younger than me and is all, what you would expect in a classic patriarch figure. Except he has not got used to wearing that pelt really and therefore a little awkward with it," she explained. He was a nice guy, likeable and she was cheeky enough to assume that, if she truly wanted to, she could have him. Just reach out her paw and grab. But something kept her back from doing so, because despite all the good qualities her friend had she did not feel like he would be her kind of serious relationship material.

"Ghost moose sounds interesting though - remember - mom telling about the white pelted stag with the golden prongs that has lured many a good hunter away? Could be your case," she mused. "And, who knows, maybe someone else had been tracking it earlier and moos reaped it's tribute? How does that sound?"
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Of course he was smitten, who wouldn't be with her big sis?  She grinned too, appreciating the dishout. 

I guess I'm glad not to be lured, but I think I could take it, no matter what color, she responded teasingly, though even she knew that was a bluff she'd be hard pressed to make.  She would have at least needed Wraen there.

So this guy, you gonna go for it? Or do you have someone else in mind? She wasn't about to let her sister change the subject that fast.  If her sis had her eye on some guy, she wanted to know, if only so she could vet him next time around!
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I bet you would," Wraen would bet her money (if she knew, what money was) on Maia to tackle any pesky ghost back to the oblivion. Be it a moose or a vengeful grandfather with unfinished business on Earth. 

"Do you think I should?" she replied with a question and shrugged, because she did not have a solid answer for it. Technically - she was of the right age, she was an adult with a considerable experience dealing with kids and adults alike. And she was without a certain purpose in life at the moment. Therefore domestic bliss could possibly be one way to go. 

"I am not sure, really... I kind of this naive view that you had to fall in love first - be struck by lightening or something - and, when you met the right person, you just knew. Etc., etc...." she said and then something occurred to her and she laughed. "This would be a good place to ask Terance to share his experience," though it was not very likely that at this point he would have anything good to tell about playing the lovegame. 

"But mom and dad started out as friends too, didn't they? Though I got an impression from mom that she had set her eye on dad the first time she met him," Wraen mused. She had asked Osprey her side of the story only once and would have wanted to hear it again now that she had more questions to ask.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Wraen wanted to know her opinion? Well heck, this was a day wasn't it! Not that she hadn't wanted to know it on a lot of things before, but it was a special sort of time for a youger sibling when an older asks you for input on something so important as relationships. 

Maia thought a moment, then mirrored the shrug.  I'd have to meet him.  And he'd have to be pretty awesome to keep up with us. she added with a grin.  Her mention of Terance made Maia feel a little bad, mostly because she wondered how their brother was doing.  Your right, though, Terance would know. Her mind went back to the boy she'd met in the cave, and the man with the bear.  Like, I've met some that I thought looked really good, but it's hard to know if they are right.  Even if Terence's hadn't ended well, he'd obviously gotten pretty far in with her.

Her interest peaked when Wraen told about their parents' relationship.  Really?  She'd been too young through most of her time there for that sort of talk, and had always been way more interested in getting lessons from Sarah or doing patrols with dad.  How d'you think she knew?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Just knew?" Wraen offered laughing at the irony, because truly - who could explain you the exact process of how one met their significant other? In a way that you could fully comprehend and use it as an example for future experiences?

"I don't know. But maybe it's not that dissimilar from meeting the right people, who become your friends? You either click or you do not," she mused, looking at Maia and suddenly realizing that out of all people she had run into during her almost two year long stay in Teekon wilds, her younger sibling was the closest she could call a best friend than anyone else. 

There had been many people inbetween - Liffey, Rannoch, Hydra to name the few - countless acquaintances, but they all had drifted away at some point and once a meaningful relationship had withered like a flower that has been touched by frost. And Terance... in the end they had hung together more out of duty than anything else. They had nothing in common now. 

"Maybe we need time to get to know someone properly... we could hang around here then for a while, I could find out, if that Ray of Sunshine is the material of my kind - you could get to know him," she said, carefully choosing her words. "We could even join a pack for a while - Seabreeze, Terance's ex - has formed a Sanctuary nearby and offered her welcome a while back. But that depends on, what would you like to do? You have been a very faithful and loyal companion so far and your opinion matters."
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
That made sense.  Yeah, maybe.  I guess you should probably be pretty good friends with someone before you decide if you want to stick with them.  She giggled, mostly because it was a serious conversation but also because she had a hard time imagining being so serious about anything. 

If you think he's cool enough to meet I don't mind sticking around! But I don't know. She was a little less interested in thinking about Seabreeze's pack.  It wasn't that she had an issue with Terence's ex, not really, and it would be great to be around her niece's and nephews!! But it felt a little less like striking out and a little more like sticking to what was familiar, and some of the excitement wasn't there. How long do you think she'd want us to stay for?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That's a tricky question and I am afraid that there is no simple answer to that," Wraen shrugged, because this thought had occurred to her as the very first, when she had thought about joining Seabreeze's bunch. In theory - yeah - freedom and no strings attached, on the other hand, weren't it just a colorful advertisement banner that promissed one thing and had the real stuff typed in a hardly readable font? 

"I mean, there will be spring, there will be babies, there will be the same thing all over again. And I do not think that I wish to enter that cycle just yet," she said truthfully. "Though it is not always easy, I enjoy, what we both have here. It's beautiful, it's precious and I would not want to change it for the world," she looked at Maia sincerely. If she had to name that one person she loved unconditionally at this very moment, her sister would be it.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She'd do it, if Wraen wanted to, simply because she'd be happy anywhere her sister was, and she liked the idea of her getting to know this guy so long as he was an ok one. It felt a little off to have left Terence's pack for his ex's, but the thought of seeing Ibis and Okeanos again could do a lot to cancel that out too.  Back to best aunt ever, heck yes.

Oh wow she hadn't even thought of Wraen having kids.  Her sister didn't seem interested, but Maia silently tried to judge how she'd feel about that.  Pretty ok, actually.  Parenthood wouldn't change things between them, right?  And then she'd have double the nieces and nephews oh wow.

So do I.  Who needs a pack when you have the best company in the world? she replied, with an affectionate bump to her sister.  Though I'd be ok with it so long as it didn't have to be forever.  There's so much out there to see. Even if Wraen ended up likin this guy and wanting to stay... that didn't mean Maia had to she guessed.  But that wasn't as much fun a thought, so she didn't mention it.  She did tend to settle in places, as a rule.  It would just need to be a pretty great place now that she was having so much fun on the road.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"We could meet them and negotiate a friendly agreement, maybe?" Wraen was not ready to jump the gun just yet, she would prefer to get to know the wolves, who inhabited Hushed willows better, before deciding to join. "That we can come for a visit and likewise are friends to those, who live there? Maybe in coming months their help in larger hunts could be beneficial for us?"

"But maybe... let's cross that river when we actually come to it,"
she concluded. "I think that we are doing as awesome as two lone wolves can in the middle of winter," she yawned and stretched. "Care for a bedtime story?" she asked, preparing for a nap. It had been a long day and there were countless such ahead of her.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,514 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Yeah! Hunting would definitely be easier with more than two of us. Especially with how often they tended to have to spread out looking.  But we are doin pretty awesome, so I'm not worried. She said this with a satisfied sigh as she sat down, then settled in beside her sister.

That sounds amazing. Two things would always be true of Maia - she loved food and she loved naps.  She'd trade the favor another night, though her brand of storytelling wasn't great for bedtime because she always got pretty keyed up with the telling.  How about one about Diana? I love the one where she turns the dumb wolf into a deer. Maia giggled, then paused as giggle quickly turned to a big yawn.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That's kind of cruel one, don't you think? I always felt bad for the poor guy," Wraen replied, but told the story anyway. Of, how a mortal wolf had accidentally spied on the goddess Diana, who had taken a swim in the river, and how she had turned him into a deer in his anger. And how later his own pack-mates failed to recognize him and killed him in a hunt. 

And then she went over to telling a different tale, which featured Apollo and Daphne. How one had fallen in love and how the other had hated him so much that she had preferred to become a laurel tree than his lover. Also not entirely happy story, but beautiful in a way. With this evening ritual done, Wraen rested her head on her sister's back and fell asleep.