Moonspear i see the torch we all must hold
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All Welcome 
Gray, wet days came and went, one after the next in a seemingly endless succession. The first few could be appreciated for the thorough shower and the soak--his mother had instilled an appreciation of the rain, or he had picked up hers after she had gone, and taught him to listen to its beat. Beside that, and more practical, the plantlife could surely appreciate it all after their long, warm summertime days. But it swiftly became too much, and neverending. Bordering on worrying, though Jarilo tended to think too much without help already.

He had put his paws all over familiar trails, torn as usual, between the guard in light of everything (the suspicious wolfeater in the lowlands especially rankled him), the hunt (to feed the growing mouths, and the appetites behind them), and of course, when all was said and done the landscapes itself when he could--before his family pulled him back home to their flowery field where he eased right into peace despite the world at large. 

On the Spear, they were granted the high grounds, at least, but slick rock did no one any favor. He urged his young to mind their steps, and hopefully stick to the grassier swatches of land while he was left to hope they wouldn't wash away too. Then, he wondered as he picked his path towards a middling creek he had not visited in a few days, was this a prelude to winter and what was to come? What happened if this turned to ice, then snow? His skin prickled with a phantom chill but soon, he rounded a bend and heard the waterway well before he saw it. Rushing from the snowmelts above, its banks had swollen--far worse than he had ever seen it be. 

Frowning to himself, he followed it back down the mountain.. albeit from a distance.
i needed a current naturalist-related thing for him
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Things were understandably a bit different after Bronco and Meerkat returned from their first trip to visit the Copse and their family. It'd been nice, to touch base with his family, and also to avoid any pressure he'd been anticipating from his mother who had been off on a scouting mission at the time. He'd see her next time, likely, and she might have questions for him then. 

Meanwhile, he'd learned that Osiris and Desdemona had been sent off on a scouting mission, which made him a feel a bit uneasy. He'd learned from Mal at Neverwinter that there was trouble stirring in the East, and he felt worried that something might happen to his two packmates while they were away. While he felt they were both fit and capable- if there was an entire pack of wolves with sinister motives settling to the East, there wasn't much hope for a mere duo should something hostile come up. 

His ribs still ached, though he did what he could to follow the advice he'd been given by Kukutux, and as a thank-you to her, he began to scout down the mountainside, hoping to find something she might be able to use as a pelt. In his mind, he thought perhaps he could find a fox- or even a crossfox if he was lucky. His travels took him down the mountain's slope, where he thought he might stroll and reinforce the borders in Desdemona's absence- when he caught sight of a dark figure wandering in the distance. 

At first he wondered if it was Antares- but he quickly corrected himself when he realized that this wolf had lighter markings about his underside, and a grayed tip to his tail. He'd heard of Jarilo, and from his scent- mingled with the scent of herbs, spruce and salmon- he could only assume that this was the lucky man who'd taken Kukutux as his mate. Keen to introduce himself and endear himself to the family further, Bronco chuffed to catch his attention- a bid for him to slow his pace enough for the still-ribsore male to catch up, and join him as he skirted down the mountainside not far from the banks of the swollen stream.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
As he roved, little changed. The waterway overpowered its former curvatures, in some places more dramatically than others. No matter where he looked, wetness prevailed his every sense and the longer he thought about it, the more it threatened to weigh him down--metaphorically, though the perpetually wet fur was another issue entirely, one he would save fretting over for later. Now, it was just best not to think about that. He kept his sights turned to the landscape at large.

Still, he picked his way along, frowning well to himself until his ears turned to the sound of something besides water. Not exactly a familiar voice, but he turned to see a face he didn't recognize.. but he checked out, scent-wise.. at least as well as he could tell in all this sogginess; Hydra had given him the short of it whereas their ambassador and guardian were concerned, and Kukutux provided further insight as well. The dark beta gave pause until the other could catch up (the footing wasn't the greatest out here, and he didn't want to make the other feel like rushing), and even then, he wasn't in a massive hurry to get back to it. The creek continued to churn. Oh, hey, he returned, amicable, and keen to see someone who wasn't just the rain and its doings here with him. Normally its a lot more peaceful out here, he gestured at the waters, threatened by a scowl then. What brings you this way? I'm Jarilo.. by the way, he asked, and provided, at once.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
There was a coolness to the gaze he was given when he was noticed that indicated to Bronco that he was being observed and assessed, and rightly so. He was a stranger to most in the pack still, though he assumed that word of two Firebirds joining them as friendly ambassadors had likely spread to most of them. Nevertheless, he appreciated Jarilo's patience as the lumbering yearling made his way over, careful as he tread across the slick, gentle slope and gearing down his posture to show respect. 

His gaze followed the rueful words spoken by the man, in reference to the stream which gushed, shoving relentlessly at the rocks along the banks which would normally have been dry this time of year. It created a wash of pink noise that was fairly loud and constant, but Bronco didn't find it all that disturbing. "Sounds kind of nice, if you close your eyes," He offered with a hopeful smile. Bronco was the sort of wolf who could sleep through anything and something like this definitely would've lulled him into a nap had he allowed himself the time to rest. "I was just thinkin' of going out for a patrol, since Desdemona 'n' Osiris are away," He said. He tipped his head forward in a friendly greeting when Jarilo confirmed Bronco's assumptions. "I thought so; I'm Bronco- I met Kukutux not too long ago; she helped me when I uh, hurt my ribs," He explained.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
When the yearling caught up, he stepped back on to an easy walk. I suppose if you're into that.. he replied with a soft chuff of a laugh. Though he favored quiet for this place, he would appreciate a different outlook's side all the same.  Admittedly, I'm just used to a peaceful scene here. I've never seen it be so much, the dark Ostrega shook his head softly. He knew what it usually was, what he considered its usual rather, and that was where his worry trickled in--as all the unknown swelled at its banks, no end in sight for the gray, dreary skies. Yeah--I was thinking I should do the same soon, honestly. Hope the road's being good to them, he answered, having carried his thoughts of Desdemona and Osiris not so long ago, hoping they were doing alright out on their travels even as he cast another stare to the waterway. He wondered how long they would be gone, too.. and if the rains had impeded anything so far.

Anyway, the beta felt some things fall firmly place after finding out that indeed, this was Bronco. This sway to his tail came with a knowing look, and slow nod. I heard. How are your ribs doing, by the way? he asked him then, easily seguing into that area of interest--since he already understood they were lucky to have Kukutux to help tend their hurts. Jarilo knew just enough about the situation's outside from his arctic wife, and how long had it been by now? Really not that long, in the grand scheme. At least Bronco was young, though, and hopefully he was seeing some improvement by now; he seemed to be getting along alright when hurt ribs could be awfully significant. Knowing that it had been a bear's doing, he was perhaps lucky it wasn't worse. But, there was certainly something to appreciate about his bravery to find his way to that position. Jarilo had to give him silent credit for that one.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Bronco offered Jarilo an apologetic smile. "Y'know- an' I don't want you to hate me for it- but it started raining like...The day after Meerkat (that's my sister) and I got here," He said. "But I swear, we din' bring it with us," He said, offering to allow Jarilo a moment or two to lay blame somewhere. "Truth be told, I- I thought it was sort of like...A mountain thing, raining all the time. I haven't really lived on a mountain before, and it just started raining right after we got here so...I figured 'cause we were so close to the clouds, it just...Rained here more. Like, I figured this was just normal, for living on a mountain." He said. There- he'd said it out loud. And it didn't sound too crazy to him, and he felt it was a worthy observation for someone who'd never been on a mountain before, considering his current experience. "Some relieved to find it ain't. I dunno if I'd wanna live on a mountain if it just rained all the time." He said with a light chuckle. 

His cheeks flushed with warmth when Jarilo admitted that he'd heard about him already. Of course, Hydra might have mentioned something, but he suspected it might've been Kukutux who had been the one to talk about him- and he found himself wondering what she might've said. "Still sore, but gettin' better every day. Listen, I, uh," He said, and cleared his throat. "I'd like to surprise Kukutux with like...A gift of something, as a thank you, but I'm nota hunnert percent sure on what, yet. Has she said anything lately, about something she wants, or needs?" He asked.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Divided between watching his step and listening to Bronco, there was a look of interest to accompany this. The new mountaineer had drawn a perceptive conclusion, even if it did not prove true. And, Jarilo had not yet considered a catalyst to have caused all this rain, though that was an interesting way to look at the timing of their arrival. Maybe in some star story or myth, that would be the case and he would keep that thought for later. Believe me, this much isn't normal here either, he said. Though it would be too easy to get to just blame someone showing up for it, he snickered a bit. While maybe too dark a remark for a first encounter, it would've given them something to do about it.. if it reached a point where they really had to make it stop.

He was starting to miss the clear skies more than anything, but trusted it would end one day soon. Well that's good, he motioned towards Bronco's shoulder with that bob of his own head. Livable, then, obviously, as the yearling went on along, onto what to gift his wife as thanks. Hmm, I can't think of anything that's a need lately. he said, thoughtful as he scanned ahead, beyond the waterway. Fine-furs and anything unusual coat-wise make nice gifts, anytime--I think, which may have been a hint of his bias. He often tried to keep a lookout himself for anything of interest that simply caught the eye just right, as he was fond of the furs she'd preserve, or wear, or whatever else. And of course, anything seasonal.. to help stock up before winter kicks in, I'd reason.. Jarilo mentioned for his wandering reply with a few facets to it. He was reminded to find out more, too, of what she would want to keep over the cold months. This was his first autumn at her side.. her first at Moonspear, and ah, he was getting off track. Really, I think she would appreciate anything with the thought behind it though. the beta added truthfully, if it was any help.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Bronco weighed the thought of being blamed for the bad weather, and came to the conclusion that he'd simply have to let it roll of his shoulders if it ever happened, like water off a duck's back. "A guy could get used to bein' called something like 'Stormbringer'" He joked lightly. In all seriousness, though, he did appreciate the fact that he'd not found himself amongst a pack of superstitious wolves- otherwise he might have had a much more miserable initiation into the pack's ranks. The rain itself was bad enough. 

He hoped that there might be something particular that Kukutux would want, or something that she was in short supply of- but her mate turned up only a few suggestions, ones he'd figured out already. "Y'know, I seen a fox once, not like a red fox, but like a red-and-black fox," He said. "I think Ma called it a cross-fox. I guess you could say its pelt was used for decoration," He remarked thoughtfully- though in truth, the fox had been caught trespassing and had been torn to shreds, and the borders had been littered with its remains as a means of warning others away. That was his mother's idea of decorating; he appreciated Kukutux's finesse much more. "I'll keep an eye out for something...I s'pose it'll just sorta jump out an' bite me when I see the right thing," He said with a shrug.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He couldn't help but grin a bit, musing over the title Stormbringer. It's quite a title! A little ominous, but.. nothing wrong with that, he snickered with a small laugh, where his thoughts wanted to roam to someone who had essentially worn a very similar moniker, language-differences considered; but she was gone and now was not the place, storms, their wind and rain, or not. Now, he did have a raindrop to fondly consider, but she had not yet had the chance to grow into a harbinger of storms herself.

A crossfox was a good title for them. He wasn't sure if he had ever sought anyone else's description of them. I remember seeing one kind of like that once when I was not quite a yearling. It had a very dark face, and a mostly smoky gray body but red ears and belly. Then another time.. down in the valleys, I saw a red one with white speckling through its fur--but that was moons ago. Never seen anything exactly like either since, and I've seen a pretty good share of foxes this summer... he said, even with the area's pesky fox population that had bloomed since last winter. Jarilo had simply guessed that they were doing well, but the ones he spotted were average colors--some a little more louder of a red than others, though, and some with bolder black markings. Maybe if he really paid them close mind, instead of just being annoyed when he found them, he might appreciate their more subtle varieties more. But yeah, you'll probably find the best thing when you least expect it, honestly, he supposed. Still, he didn't think Kukutux would mark him down for not finding the most perfect, ideal gift out there. Surely the thought, and the time spent on obtaining such, wouldn't be lost on her.

You remind me that I do need to find out what else she wants to stock up on for the winter.. it's the first one she's lived here for the start of, and since it's coming faster than I really want to admit, he mentioned. Really, he didn't want to think about winter yet, though the dutiful side of him said otherwise. Can't hurt to stay prepared, just in case that rushes in. Jarilo, so far, got the impression Bronco wouldn't entirely mind these extended details as part of it was him thinking out loud. If I get any good leads on anything more specific, though... he'd pass it on.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Bronco frowned as Jarilo described the different foxes he'd seen. Apparently, they could come in a variety of hues, but as the male disclosed, they were few and far between, and once spotted, it seemed that they did not like to return. He couldn't blame them- while Wolves didn't generally see foxes as prey, they did see them as something useful and something that could potentially be a threat to young ones- so the smarter foes knew full well to stay away from them. It was only the boldest ones who trespassed, and often found themselves being chased away. 

"Sounds like they come in all sortsa colours. I wonder if they could be baited," He said. "But I don't think I'd wanna do that anywhere near the borders," He said. Leaving out morsels of food was a surefire way to attract a coyote or a fox, he thought- or potentially another wolf...Not something he wanted to do lest they should pose a threat. 

When he mentioned winter, Bronco stopped to shake some of the rain from his pelt. "Yeah, an' then all this mess'll be snow, thanks for the reminder," He said with a laugh. "But yeah; I owe her, so...If there's something she hints at, that you wouldn't mind me stepping in an' taking care of, lemme know?" He asked. Of course, he knew Jarilo would also want to do simple tasks and favours for his mate, and Bronco didn't want to stand in his way.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
It was probably fair to give the foxes credit--he'd seen wolves come in a wide array of shades over his years, and this was coming from someone who didn't exactly go far from home very often. The smaller canines were probably not much different, at least given a certain range of what made sense to draw their palettes from. Then again, he couldn't say every wolf coat pattern he'd seen before fell within the realms of "made sense", either. However, on baiting the wily things--honestly, it was very plausible. Bet so, he went on to reason, though not that he could speak on experience there. He had never tried to lure them in, not intentionally. I know they seem to have an awfully hard time resisting a fishy cache.. he sighed, and had learned that little lesson the hard way before. His ears drooped momentarily at the memory, but maybe Bronco could use it. Maybe that was something there to consider.

Anyway, true, winter's approach didn't paint a very hopeful picture so far.. not to him. He didn't want to face the possibility of all this rain turning to snow soon. Far too nasty to even think about for very long. Hopefully they had time before any of that really came. Hard to say. I will definitely keep an ear out, he affirmed about Kukutux, though. Surely some sort of need would come along, right? It was easy to get caught up in the usual routine lately, patrol-hunt-pups stuff, and it reminded him to pay attention elsewhere, too. Let me know if you find out anything good on a fox trap, too. he smirked. Maybe it could help keep them away for the freeze..

Then, with a beat of silence, he sighed, feeling damp--the usual, as he looked ahead on another deep breath. On the whole, it seemed to him that Bronco had fit in pretty well so far from what he had seen. He definitely didn't seem all that out of place, even if the mountain had roughed him up a little already, his spirits were in good shape. Jarilo was content to mosey on a bit more, in company he didn't mind.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
Just trying to tidy up some of my older MSP threads <3 Would be happy to have an updated one though!

Bronco squinted slightly as he considered the possibility of bating a fox- it was an interesting concent, and Jarilo too seemed open to the idea. So long as he didn't start leaving bits of fishy food too close to the borders, he might be able to catch one out in the glen, perhaps. Maybe in the heartwood. Somewhere that foxes lived, where it would be far enough away to keep them from thinking that they could steal from Moonspear's established caches. "That's a great idea!" He blurted enthusiastically. There was no way that a predator could miss or resist the smell of fish, when left out in the woods. 

Antsy to start looking and setting traps, Bronco pranced lightly on the spot. "I'll for sure let you know how it goes- I'm a gonna go an' try to catch some fish, an' look for fox tracks. Thanks, Jarilo!" He said, bopping his nose lightly against the male's dark shoulder, before he bounded off with a new plan set in mind.