Wheeling Gull Isle count all the bees in the hive, chase all the clouds from the sky
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Private 
When Towhee told him she would be staying indefinitely, Caracal could’ve cried. Hell, he did cry, whilst hugging her and getting snot and tears all over her neck. She laughed at him a little bit, though mostly she just patted his back and held onto him awhile. Then she sent him to his room made him go back to his little spot on another hill to get more sleep, insisting it would make all the difference in the world.

It really did too. He woke up the following morning feeling significantly better than the past few days. Rather than head to the den straightaway, he went and caught a fish first. It didn’t take long, fortunately, and it was still bright and early by the time his shadow darkened his family’s doorstep.

He let the fish slide from his mouth and flop on the floor, then gave his wife a sound kiss on her temple, dropping a whispered apology there too. He then waded through a sea of puppies back toward the doorway, though not before chucking a paw at @Malakai.

Hey, you wanna come outside and take a walk with me?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Malakai woke to the scent and sound of the fish plopping to the ground at the opening of their den. Instinctually, he went to check it out. Instinctually too, he would have growled and pushed on the younger, weaker siblings just the same but stopped himself. Though he wanted to (something he didn't know he was naturally driven too) he was taught that this was wrong to do and was unkind. So, very quickly after a few sniffs, he slumped back into a sit, made to stiffle those agressive displays. 

Thankfully enough, his father gave him a pawing at his shoulder, inviting him to come along with him on a walk. Thank God. Sure! With a smile, the boy trotted along after, hopefully to expel this pent up energy.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Awesome, Caracal replied, smiling at his son. We can find more where that came from, he added as he began to stride away from the den, having noted Malakai’s brief interest in the fish.

For a few minutes, he didn’t say anything, focusing on guiding Malakai down the slope of The Greenhills toward the tropical swamp on the south side of the island. But every few steps, he glanced over at Kai and grinned, sometimes even throwing a playful elbow at his son to see if he could dodge it in time.

I have two questions for you, the boy’s father eventually broke the companionable silence. First, what would you like to do today? Secondly, if you could’ve named yourself, what name would you have picked?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Malakai was mostly quiet too on their walk down the green slopes and towards the outer portions of their lands, places which Kai had not traveled far enough on his own to be aware. He was excited at the idea of fish and growled and snarled in both play and in practice as his dad tested his reflexes by elbowing at his sides as they moved. He mostly avoided him but when he did not, nipped at his father's limbs and laughed. At least he knew he could rough house with his dad without him being a sour puss about it. 

Then, his father had two questions for him. Hmmm... He pondered allowed, taking some time to think it over as he bounded between the more solid areas of ground throughout the marshland. Dunno. He shrugged, but continued. Mom says, my name means 'Messenger of God'. I like that... And then, Unless it was warrior of God. Like Gabriel or Michael..! He knew all his siblings were named after 'Godly names' but didn't really know the details of it just yet at this age. Maybe you teach me to fight today! Or go fishing. Either one would keep him busy honestly.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
The little boy seemed to take his father’s questions seriously, pondering them before answering. His response was very telling about Malakai’s persona, eliciting a grin from Caracal. So, he aspired to be a warrior and he was spoiling for a fight? Caracal was the furthest thing from a fighter—he was much more likely to take a pounding than dish one out—but he would be happy to show his son a couple of moves. And then maybe he would nudge him toward someone who could actually teach him, like Towhee.

You’ll probably kick my ass, he said before halting and clapping a paw to his mouth. Guess we’ll have to put a seashell in the swear jar when we get back… anyway, did you know some wolves have two names? Maybe you could be Malakai Michael and we can call you M&M for short?

He kept moving until the pair of them was a little closer to the edge of the mangroves, where silt gave way to proper sand and the waves lapped inward from the eternal sea. Caracal gazed out at the blue horizon, then pointed his fox-like muzzle back toward Malakai.

Whenever you’re ready, he said, putting up his dukes, come at me, bro.
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
His father's first initial response had him laughing, mimicking his father by slapping his own dark ruddy paw over his mouth. OOOOOOOO....! By the way his father act, he could tell that his words were something naughty. Swearing might now both get them in trouble one day. 

Malakai Michael, the boy thought of this. He could be M&M! Though this thought left his mind once they reached the sands along the edges of the mangroves and his dad readied himself for the fight! 

Charging (although more like hopping and prancing in the sand) he rushed upon his dad to try and tackle him the same way he did Simeon and Dinah. All the while 'roaring', I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Hey! Caracal shouted in reproof, laughter in his eyes nonetheless. ‘Thou shalt not swear,’ he misquoted to his son in the next breath, though the lesson was likely lost as they fell to sparring.

He kept his balled fists raised, playfully jabbing them at Malakai as he threw himself at his father. But when this did not deter the boy from continuing to plow into him, Caracal let himself be shoved over into the sand, gravity finishing the job as he fell onto his side.

How are you so strong? he cried out, throwing his forelegs up in front of his face now as if in terror of a real beating, hiding his grin. You must be a true warrior of God!
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
The repremand fell on deaf ears as they tussled. Malakai is both laughing and growling now as he lays atop his father, his jaws open as he mouths at his father's limbs made to protect him from the puppy nightmare which was his son. 

Winner! YES! He barks with joyousness, lifting his muzzle and yowling out the best howl which he could muster given his age. Malakai Michael! God's words and paws! Messenger and warrior. Protector o da innocent. Destroyer o da evil!
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He pretended to quiver in fear at his son’s fearsome declaration, though Caracal couldn’t resist the laughter that bubbled up out of him. It wasn’t derisive in the least, merely an expression of his affectionate joy over his son. His whole body writhed with it, so he gently pushed Malakai off him and rolled onto his belly beside the pup.

It seems to me you don’t need me to teach you anything about fighting, M&M, he joshed, poking at his boy with a toe. But I have another idea, if you’re game. What if I baptized you, with your new name? Then we can play in the water and stuff. Whaddaya think, holy fighter?
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Malakai happily laughed with his dad. Even if he was just playing around, because his dad was bigger then him and all, it was awesome knowing that his dad thought he was going to be a great fighter one day! 

Plopping down on the sandy earth where his dad pushed him off, his silvery ears perk at his father's suggestion. Yes, yes! He cheers out in agreement, tail running back and forth along the grass behind him. Then, he jumps up, heading further into the marshland of the mangroves. What do I do?
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He seemed keen on the idea, probably because Caracal had suggested it rather than because he knew what it entailed. In fact, he didn’t, and asked what he needed to do with all the enthusiasm and trust in the world. It brought a smile to Caracal’s face and his heart.

We’re, he began to answer, only for Malakai to bolt deeper into the mangroves. Laughing, he loped after him, continuing, We’re just going to wade into some shallows and I’ll bless you by sprinkling some water on your forehead. Sounds pretty basic, doesn’t it? But it’s meant to be meaningful. You’re signifying your dedication to God and formally naming yourself one of his warriors.

He wondered if any of that would give his son pause. It was kind of a big deal, in a sense, even if it was a simple act. Caracal glanced into his face to gauge his expression, even as he struck out a paw to nudge Kai toward the nearest surf line.
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
So. They stood in the mucky shallow water of the mangroves and his dad sprinkled water on his dad. Malakai looked to his father a little dumbfounded and then a 'are you serious?' expression with a crinkling of his brow. 

It does sound basic. He says with a smirk as he looks to his father still. But, whatever he guessed. The idea of officially naming his dedication to God as one of his warriors sounded like doing something cool, exciting but if doing this was just as good, well, he was all for it! Let's do it. He said then, moving off into the direction which his father pointed to.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
It’s symbolic, he replied, wondering if Malakai truly understood. We can do it today and then again when you’re older, to confirm and renew your vows to God.

The two of them broke from the edge of the trees onto a strip of shoreline at the head of the island. Caracal led Malakai toward the surf, walking right into the shallow breakers and motioning for the boy to join him.

Trying to remember his words from Dinah’s baptism, he cited, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Sun and the Holy Seagull, as he raised a fisted forepaw and dribbled saltwater over the crown of Kai’s head. You are hereby christened Malakai Michael Redhawk.
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Malakai nodded. Honestly, he probably didn't understand every bit of it, but Kai knew this was something he had to do to make himself one of God's warriors. That it would be official in the eyes of God. His father would not steer him wrong and Kai trusted his parents knew what they were talking about and what was right, so he obeyed. 

Following Caracal into the ocean tide, Malakai took high steps and a few hoping prances over the waves as they came at him until they passed those and into a calmer area beyond. The ocean was strong. Malakai had felt this before, pulling and tugging at him. He had seen those tossed onto the shores, battered by the waves, but he had never feared it. He, like his parents, did God's work and was at his mercy. Whatever happened to him was meant to happen - right? 

'I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Sun and the Holy Seagull' Kai lowered his skull as his dad lifted up a paw, ears flattening as water is poured over him. When he raises his head, from that moment forward he is Malakai Michael Redhawk, messager and warrior of God. Thanks dad. He grins.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He chucked his paw gently against the boy’s wet cheek and replied, My pleasure, M&M.

They stood in the shallows for a bit longer before Caracal motioned for Malakai to follow him back to the shore. He paused to shake the saltwater from his coat, then turned to make sure his newly christened child was right behind him.

Let’s do something to celebrate. I vote we find that seashell I’ll need to deposit when we get back home, then maybe another souvenir from the tidepools to commemorate this day. But what do you think? Remember, this is your day, so it’s your choice.
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Commemorate?? Kai said with a tilting of his wet skull, as he follows his father back to the shore, hoping over roots of the mangroves as he does so. Tide pools sound good! Christen made me hungry. He decided. He didn't know souvenir or commemorate, but he knew the tide pools had quick and easy food!

Hoping all around his dad as they headed off, Kai looked to his father then, with a new thought to his mind. Dad... there is light and dark. He began, thinking how there was a balance in life, equal: Predator and prey. Light and dark. Hot and Cold. Good and bad. Sometimes he and his siblings were being bad... Then, There is good and evil too, right? Surely his father would want to know what he was getting at. What does God do with evil? He and his siblings were taught to be good. To live in God's light- be kind, be patient, be open and understanding. When they were bad, they were told that 'this was not how God would want you to act'. So, what if others continued to be bad? Did they get in trouble by God, like they did by their parents? Or did he not do anything? If so, what was the point of being good? 

Malakai would question all these things as he grew and very much so sparked by the arrival of the new children to their home. Kai didn't mention that just yet, but he needed to know how God handled these things first. If he were to walk the path of God, he needed to know what should be expected of him in any situation. After all, Malakai was protective of his siblings. It might not show, but @Simeon and @Dinah were his siblings to tease and fight with- no one else. And @Judah... he was someone Malakai felt would always be bound to him beyond any other. They were twin. A bond that was not easily explained by others who were not twin themselves.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Yeah, it’s another way to say celebrate, Caracal replied. Solid choice, he added, happy to head to the tide pools with his son.

When Malakai began musing aloud en route, Caracal bent an ear but remained mum. It was when Kai said something about good and evil that his father looked over at him, surprised that such a profound question came from someone so young.

These are great questions, Kai, and I don’t mean to cop out. But I think we’d better ask your mother. She’s the one who taught me everything I know about God. She’s so much more knowledgeable on these matters than I am. She’ll have the answers you seek. We can go speak with her after we grab a snack, Caracal promised, reaching out to rest his paw on Malakai’s shoulder a moment before carrying on toward the pools.

Maybe fade here? :D
Messenger of God
99 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Sounds good to me!
To the tide pools they went! Malakai was ready to find something good to eat, after the official christening of becoming now Malakai Michael Redhawk, messenger and warrior of God. 
Just the thought of such a name brought a grin to his features and a proud pep in his step. One day, he would make both his parents and God proud. 
Then, his father spoke up, saying that maybe we should wait to ask what mom thought. Kai nodded, keeping that little secret of where these thoughts had come from in the back of his mind. Right now, it was lunch time!