Altar of Twilight Unleashed
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
All Welcome 
For @Hydra.
Freedom. It felt as if a great weight had finally been lifted off her crimson cloaked shoulders. Tzila had severed all ties with the Nightwalkers without a word or a sound. She had left not so much as a hair of her own, weaved with her scent, behind. She had come to this decision long ago. It had only been a matter of time. Vengeance, she had respected to a point. Hela, the new Warlord, she did not. No matter if she had won the title by claiming his life. She was still a child. The throne was no place for children. Tzila had strung them along, fooling them into thinking they controlled her. No one did and her final, unapologetic act of defiance drove the point home, like an arrow through the heart.

Smirking easily, she was better suited to the lone wolf life anyways, she thought. No rules...no competition...no sharing. Without a pack to support her, she would further carve herself into a hardened survivor on her own, as she had done for so long. She had no set plan in place for the future. If by chance she happened upon a willing travel companion, then she wouldn't turn them away. But only if their personalities meshed well. Or heavens forbid, find another unsuspecting pack to latch onto. She would wait and see what fate had in store for her first. Walking with a newfound ease in her step in the darkest hours of the night, she was in her element as she headed north, away from the Haunted Wood. She sought sanctuary...to be alone and at peace. Nearing the very edge of Moonspear's range, she took care to slip through this silent valley with senses pricked. She gave the resident wolf pack of the grand mountains a wide berth, un-willing to infringe. She would find a detour if she had to. 

the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra continued her investigation, not alone in her doing so; @Alya was her companion as of late, Lyra tending to her son. She navigated new snowmelt easily enough, knowing how to navigate territories such as the one she traveled and the changing climate that meant Spring had sprung. It had set in early this year, earlier than the last at least—good, when thinking of the hunt... her own personal one included. As of yet though, it did not seem as though her quarry had come this way—

She caught the sight of Tzila from afar. The burnished ruff, namely, was what called to her attention; Alya too was at attention, and they closed ranks upon her slowly but surely, appearing aloof but interested as any wolf might behave when seeing something other than its own that was still its own in breed. It was that Hydra saw two eyes that caused Hydra to recognize this was not their target, and an ear-flick caused Alya to turn her attentions elsewhere, electing then to climb a little ways up to continue their investigation there. 

Tzila struck Hydra as familiar, though not in an unsettling way. There was no bad to associate her with, and the matriarch did not act as such given that. Hydra paused a short distance away, ears pricked forward with interest as she recalled how she knew the other. Tzila had been there that day, when Nightwalkers and Moonspearians and behaved as a united front to keep others away from what was their own. What was she doing all the way out here, she wondered? Hydra had work to do still, though determined that she could invite the other along if she wished. 

Hydra retained her aloof demeanor while she emitted a low chuff of invitation to see if they might do so, eyes looking just beyond the she-wolf while her nose sought to deduce whether or not any of her other allies were with the she-wolf. It would be good to speak with them to see how they felt of the change within their hierarchy, Hydra thought.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
In the distance ahead of her, against the dimly lit backdrop of melting snow, approached two identical dark figures. Wolves. But not just any random stray like herself. With a practiced eye, as @Ayla veered away to tend to something else, the wraith noted the natural way in which Hydra carried herself. So very unlike the slouching, predatory strides she often adopted, to appear more intimidating. But not tonight. Tzila carried herself loosely, with a certain lack of tension that hadn't been there before. 

Recognizing the Moonspearian Queen instantly, that same sense of kinship and worthy respect bloomed in her chest. The likes of which so few in her own eyes, was rarely afforded. Tzila almost smiled as Hydra chuffed to her, as if to invite her in for a discussion between allies. Retaining a neutral yet not un-friendly mask over her dark features, an amciable swish of her tail was granted in return. Then, wasting no more time on informal little introductions, she closed the gap. Her strides were long and easy as she glided forth, tail loose as she greeted the matriarch, skirting her partially. Tzila was almost welcoming, as her body language seemed to suggest. She was unaware of Hydra's return from the very pack she had abandoned of her free will, but the scarcity of the Nightwalkers scent on her coat would provide the first of many clues, and perhaps questions, of Tzila's appearance here tonight.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Tzila elected to join her, and once the other was near enough Hydra moved to sniff at her in none too idle a fashion. It was the way of the wolf, this—a brief exchange of information that shared much between two canines. Tzila was indeed who she imagined, first and foremost, but also Hydra came to note that she no longer carried the macabre scent that had made her Nightwalker once. This was of great interest to the Ostrega, who had not imagined that the change in leadership would sit well with all of that variety. But to Hydra's knowledge, the young Warlord's claim was as of yet uncontested.

In any case, clearly, it had not sat well with Tzila. Could Hydra blame her? No. Not at all. As Hydra regarded her and her physical state, she found the notion of such impossible to even believe. Some things did not suit others. Hydra would not state the obvious, but she would also not assume the nature of Tzila's departure. Perhaps she was wrong in each and every one of her presumptions. Perhaps Tzila had made a bid for the throne there and failed. There was only one way to find out. 

Hydra navigated the territory now one slow step at a time. While some of her attentions reserved for Tzila—revealed by the way, now and then, one ear would cup toward her—the rest remained divided by her surroundings and her task at hand. Hydra now sniffed at the tracks of a wolf that had recently passed through, though the scent did not match any in her inventory that meant enemy. So, when was it you came to leave the Nightwalkers? she inquired lowly, lifting her head from the earth to peer at Tzila for a moment. She fell silent then, both silent and willing to hear all of her story. Tzila herself had made it evident it was not because she wished for an enemy in Moonspear, at least.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Stiffly, but with an easily waving tail, the Shadow Keeper allowed Hydra to sniff at her fur; washed clean of the Nightwalkers. Any lesser wolf she would have warned away with a snarl or snap of teeth. But not her. There was some air about Hydra she could not quite pinpoint that she felt inclined to respect. Calmly, she angled her muzzle in to take a courtesy sniff of the other. She inhaled. Yes. She recognized it. It shared the same signature as it did with @Revui, whom she had crossed paths with some weeks ago. Hydra's brother, but younger brother, that she did not know.

As she turned to investigate tracks of another wolf in what remained of the snow, yet still kept some of her attention towards herself, Tzila fell in step beside her un-hurriedly. "Two days ago. Of my own choice." There was no hint nor shred of regret in her voice. Only a cold indifference to said pack. She let a stretch of silence settle. And then "It had been a long time coming, if I am to be honest." With neither Revui nor Abbadon, Vengeance's spawn, could she speak where she felt entirely comfortable in her own words. Maybe here and now, with Hydra, she might find that. She had learned that the Nightwalkers was not quite the perfect fit for her, as she had hoped they'd be. Now she was un-chained, set free.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened as Tzila spoke, and at least one of her suspicions were confirmed. Tzila had left, by choice. The ruddy she wolf continued on and Hydra still remained silent, her interest maintaining its genuity. No regret, not a lick of it. Perhaps not on bad terms then, or if so, Tzila did not care for them. Only when Tzila did not elaborate further did Hydra respond: a long time, you say. Since Vengeances reign? she wondered aloud, inviting Tzila to share more if she so desired to. Or, alternatively, had her satisfaction with the Nightwalkers ended when his life had? 

The matriarch invited Tzila to speak openly with her with a simple look that suggested she was open to the discussion for what it was: truths laid bare. Hydra much preferred the candor and the dynamic of such conversations. From the sound of her, Tzila was not so simple a woman who likely had her own convictions she stood by... Hydra could only guess at those, and yet, as she had with Ying, imagined there was something similar between them in what said convictions might be.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
One simple look was all that was needed. If Tzila were to lay it all out here with Hydra, she must speak the truth. Tzila was not above lying. Not when the situation called for it, or if it was for her own benefit. Neither of those applied here. She set Hydra with a firm, steady look, conveying the honesty that she would indeed, receive. Sitting down, Tzila showed her seriousness in regard to the topic about to unfold between the two females. "Not quite that long. Towards the end...before his death." She peeled her eyes away, letting them settle on the distant, craggy peaks of the Spear.

"I joined him for one reason only at the time. He allowed me the freedom to be who I wanted. Not..act as something I am not." She remembered her days in Elysium, but felt no need to mention them. "It was exciting. He seemed to understand and for that, he earned a small shred of my respect." She didn't bother turning to read Hydra's face, perhaps partially fearful of what judgement she may find there. "What I didn't expect was the sheer chaos...the lack of structure. I felt...suffocated, at times." A hint there, that she was a woman not at all used to being tied down. "When I learned of his death by Hela, not even a year old, that was the final straw." Her features hardened slightly, ears twitching back. "I do not follow easily. Let alone in the footsteps of a child with nothing but a lucky win for merit. It takes more than brawn and luck to lead a pack."
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Interesting how a lack of structure became stifling; one would think the alternative to be true. Still, it seemed opposite for Tzila. Hydra worked toward understanding, though the final points were easy enough to. Be it luck or skill, Vengeance could not have been easy to fell. Perhaps that day the young girl had both in equal measure. Regardless, respect was to be earned... and between the death of the once Warlord and the rise of the new one, Tzila had not found any for Hela. 

Indeed it does, she concurred. Hydra knew as much from her own experience, having led Moonspear for years. Have you become who you wanted to be? she asked then, having heard the appeal of Vengeance. Hydra wondered who that was, too, though hoped that Tzila might be forthcoming enough to share her growth there. That Tzila had once pretended to be any other was curious, too; for what reason? Societal obligation? So much of the world shirked at the idea of a strong woman. Damn them if they were not beautiful, demure little things that needed saving.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
There was no rebuff. No snide comments or mocking little snippets for her choice. Tzila wanted to let her inner tension go, but found that she could not. She added on at last "In the end it turned out not to be what I was hoping...looking for." Hydra's oh so simply phrased question would have been easy for any ordinary wolf to answer. But for Tzila, when it was voiced, her legs nearly buckled. She almost turned away, flinching as if she had been struck. It had hit home, and hard.

Pressing her eyelids shut, she drew in a slow breath. Thinking. Trying to collect herself. Bits of her past flew by like pictures of a crudely put together photo album in her mind. Memories, possibilities, accomplishments...mistakes. She peeled her eyes open, staring at the snow beneath her paws. "I'm not sure even I know who I really am." And how could she? Her past was a train wreck littered with sins of bitterness and resentment. An innocent soul could only handle so much before they were ruined.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Interesting. Strange, how one believed they wanted something... but when they received it, it ended up not being what they pictured. Although in peripherals Hydra could see that the question hit so hard that she looked to be struck, Hydra did not look to her head-on so that Tzila could recover as she darted toward a tuft of fur that clung to rock. The revelation revealed was one that caused Hydra to look back at the she-wolf, who seemed deeply effected by it. 

By the look of her, one could not guess their age difference. Tzila was a large, sturdy, strong looking she-wolf. There was a feral edge to her that Hydra's eye caught and quite enjoyed, and this was a side to Tzila Hydra would never imagined was there. But here it was. Hydra did not think it was something often revealed, but Tzila was vulnerable before her then. Such a thing was hardly seen as weak; Hydra always admired when a wolf who could speak the naked truth simply as it was. 

Hydra was no counselor, and thus out of her depth here in helping to heal. But the matriarch knew that sometimes, someone only wanted to be heard. Hydra was an adept listener, and could certainly do at least that for the distraught, lost woman. Again Hydra sensed Tzila had more to say, though gave her the space to speak without asking. Hydra imagined Tzila was reflecting, and did not want to infringe upon that moment. With a shake of her furs, Hydra took a step toward Tzila to invite her to speak further. Though she had no answer to give for the thought of letting Tzila expand if she so wished, her ears rounded toward Tzila even when her snout pressed against the earth so as for her to know she was being listened to. Heard. At her own pace.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Sorry for the wait! <3

Tzila was appreciative for the silence that Hydra afforded her. The silence was comforting, though hung heavy in the air that her voice had not fallen on deaf ears. Allowed to express herself at her own pace, without pushing or prying, the scarlet naped female unwravled more easily. Picking up on that subtle but meaningful step forward, she raised her pale eyes to meet those of sharp blue.

She pointedly flicked her eyes to the side after a moment of consideration. Keeping them pinned to the horizon, as if on an unseeable future. "What's worse...is I don't know who I want to be." Her jaw tightened, her tail lashing through the air. "I've done terrible things in my life. Yet I don't regret them. That day...at the lake..." She reminisced, the memory as clear now as it had been then. "I enjoyed that scuffle...the sense of power. Of control." She ventured closer, equally dark hairs of opposing flanks inches away. Tzila barely knew the Queen of Moonspear, but for she of all wolves, to converse so openly (even if Hydra was hardly the ideal wolf to seek for counsel) said a lot on Tzila's behalf. "I always believed in survival of the fittest. Of taking care of myself, first. Even if it meant playing dirty. But...something is missing." She took in a great sigh, heated air expelling from her nose. "I know I have some real soul searching to do." Change was never easy, and the question was, if she even wanted it or not. 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
doubly sorry here <3

Hydra could understand why Tzila might have enjoyed that day as surely as Hydra had. In the difficult time of famine, their bellies, by the end of it, had been filled. Thanks to her intervention and command both, the moose was secured and none of their own party had been wounded due to it to the point of being unable to recover. Hydra echoed the sentiment mutely with a nod, understanding that at least. Though when it came to survival, she was not simply out for herself. Hydra fought for much more. She wondered if that was not what Tzila searched for. Something, someone, to fight for. Not simply herself. 

But Tzila would come to find this herself, Hydra was certain. You seem wise, she drawled. Hydra tucked away what had been shared openly. Tzila was self-aware enough to get out of where she could no longer grow. I do not doubt that in time, you will find whatever it is that you are looking for. Your reason, she hummed. And Hydra did not mean reason as in wit, but reason as in... what she lived for. 

Hydra took a few steps forward, sniffing at the earth again and creating, unintentionally, some distance between she and the once-Nightwalker. Hydra was at work, and invited Tzila along still with a look. Some wolves have one. Some several, she supplied. Hydra was in the latter category. Hydra had much in life that she fought for. I fight, and I kill, for my family. My pack. They are one and the same to me. Perhaps even if you are not of Moonspear, you might still fight for me, if you seek a reason to fight as you find yourself, she offered. It would, at least, give Tzila some semblance of direction. Purpose beyond the mundanity of day-to-day. Tzila seemed lost; Hydra, feeling generous, would offer her a compass.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Wrapping this up.

Tzila felt that her meeting with the Queen of Moonspear was coming to an end. She felt some sort of weight lifted off her shoulders, and a new sense of certainty. To her remark of seeming wise herself, Tzila only smiled faintly, far too reserved to brag about such a quality, whether it was true or not. "Time...however long it takes, for something worth it." She uttered more to herself than to the dark female by her side. 

Moving alongside of her, Tzila listened, absorbing her words like a sponge. They made sense and they were not difficult to understand. Her struggle then, must be more complex because of her emotions weaved into her past. Her offer, to fight for her and the very reasons she stood for, was met with a soft blink of her silver eyes. It wasn't a direct invitation to Moonspear - at least that's not how she perceived it. Still, to know that she as an individual was considered an ally, or even a foot solider in the shadows, flattered her. After a moment’s thought "I will stay on my own, but I feel too much has already transpired not sever my ties that remain to Moonspear." Her head swam for a moment, as she realized that she might dare call Hydra a friend. In a tentative gesture unlike her assured self, she brushed her nose gingerly along the coarse hairs of her shoulder, tail flicking once, amicably. Then, she slowly veered away. "I...I think I know what I must do. Something...tells me I must reconnect with my roots. Maybe for closure." She gestured with her muzzle north. "The coast." That was where her travels would take her, now. "I am only ever a call away, but I do hope to see you again." Fixing the Queen with an intensely meaningful look said that she had been more help than she may ever realize, by simply offering her presence and a listening ear. Then Tzila was gone, melting away back into the shadows.