Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
With a sigh, Meerkat flopped down beside the water. She hadn't found any poppies today and needed a break before she continued. She panted in the hot sun, scooting a little closer so she could dip her toes in the river. The water was blessedly cool. She closed her eyes, trying to slow her breathing and keep her mind clear for a few moments.

But, of course, it proved impossible. Meerkat's eyes popped open, staring into the middle distance as she contemplated what she was doing with herself. She should head back to the caldera, at least to check in with her mom and siblings, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. More and more, she realized she didn't want to live there anymore, even though it would mean missing out on her younger brother's and sisters' lives. She couldn't stomach being forced to witness her older brother's and sister's lives together.

Where else could she go? The obvious choice was Moonglow, though she discarded it as an option. She adored Kukutux and Sialuk but she didn't want to live in a place with so many memories. If she was really going to uproot her life again, Meerkat wanted to plant herself somewhere entirely fresh and new. Or maybe, her inner voice helpfully suggested, don't put down roots anywhere. You could just keep traveling.

Pushing herself upright, Meerkat stretched. She wasn't sure what she would do and she kept changing her mind. But for now, she began loping further north, following the winding river in the general direction of the coast and keeping her eyes peeled for any glimpses of red.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
She turned two, that sunny day.

Not that she knew. She didn't remember the earliest days, curled by a switch of sides. Her youth a blur of loss. Something she tried not to think about too long.

Although, brains were good at failing to not think.

She thought of Kigipigak as she trailed the river. Unsure what to think as days ticked by. She still held hope for a return or that she might catch sight of him in the familiar places she roamed. Never once did she, though.

Granted the figure who loped riverside was familiar. Loosely and vaguely. Sakhmet recalled her from the unusual encounter of Blackfeather. It made her tense some to think of the place, of the man who followed.

Only this one had not seemed like him.

She hoped.

Hey!

Warm, but mostly neutral — in tone and posture.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Someone called out to her and Meerkat immediately froze and looked around for a moment before spotting an unfamiliar ruddy figure. She blinked curiously, turning to face the caller and then striding toward her, intrigued. As the distance between them shrank, the yearling realized she actually knew this woman. Well, they hadn't formally met but she recollected her appearance at the edge of Eldritch's home... and, with even more clarity, Santiago shadowing her steps.

"Hey!" she belatedly replied in a tone that indicated her recognition. "I'm glad you're alright," Meerkat said, drawing to a stop a few feet from the other she-wolf. "I know Santiago followed you that day and..." And, well, she knew now he didn't just look threatening; he played the part pretty well. "We didn't get a chance to introduce ourselves. I'm Meerkat."
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
"I'm glad you're alright,"

Not what she had anticipated to hear. Truthfully, she had figured everyone had wrote her off as odd and rightly followed but. . . here was this young woman with kindness. Of course such a thing would soften Sakhmet to her instantly.

I'm Sakhmet. She introduced softly, a small but warm smile on her face for it.

Granted she couldn't help herself from rounding back to Santiago.

So, um, do you know him then?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She provided her name a little shyly and they were no longer strangers but acquaintances. And they had something in common already, unfortunately. Meerkat's own smile disappeared, lips pulling into a slight frown.

"Not really," she replied, "and I only got a glimpse of you both that day at the woods. But he and I crossed paths a couple weeks later. He... harassed me, for lack of a better term. Did he do the same to you?" she wondered, hoping Santiago actually hand't caught up to Sakhmet that day.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Somehow the gross thought of it all felt like it slicked over her like oil.

To know she hadn't been the only one bothered, to know that apparently he just did this.

Yes. Simple, but it was breathed out with her disgust and discomfort. He asked about having fun and then scaring me off. It was. . . weird. Uncomfortable.

She wondered if it was similar at all there too, if maybe he ran some sort of script.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Although she doubted either one of them really wanted to relive their encounters, Meerkat couldn't help but reach out to a kindred spirit, let her know she wasn't alone. "I understand. He did the same to me. He kept calling me pet names and trying to make me nervous." Unfortunately, he had succeeded. "He said it entertained him," she continued, face wrinkling, "and he kept trying to get reactions from me. Definitely weird and uncomfortable," she concluded, empathizing.

There was a beat of silence as Meerkat took another look around, as if expecting Santiago to materialize as if summoned. She then returned her gaze to Sakhmet's face and said, "You asked me if I knew who lived there, that day. Were you looking for someone?"
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Bad, bad, b a d.

Gross, gross, g r o s s.

It was all she could feel. She would have given Meerkat a hug if it had felt appropriate, but they had only just acquainted and their common ground was over something ill. Perhaps relating to each other was the kindness they could give for now.

Her own eyes roamed for a moment, before drawn back to Meerkat when she spoke.

Not exactly. I thought the woods were empty so it was awkward finding it suddenly full of scents. Bit. . . jarring, I guess. Soft laughter. Not that it was a funny event. More laughter at herself. How foolish she had been to think the woods to be untouchable with the passage of time. If it hadn't been wolves, surely something would have made home there.

Do you live nearby the forest? This was twice they had encountered each other. Although this time they would part as something more than strangers.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
That made sense. Meerkat bobbed her head in understanding, remembering when she'd abruptly discovered a pack living there. They had seemingly come out of nowhere. And now they were gone again, assuming Eldritch had left the woods to find another pack to join. The yearling's lips pursed thoughtfully.

Her mouth opened to answer Sakhmet's question with the affirmative. She hesitated for a beat, then said, "I do. I live at Redhawk Caldera just west of the woods." Her tail switched. "Did you know the pack that lived there is gone now? Those two were the last of them and they've likely moved on by now," Meerkat voiced her earlier thought.

Thinking about Eldritch made her remember her search for poppies. The craving had subsided somewhat, though just thinking about them made her skin itch a little. She wasn't in any particular pain at the moment, though sometimes she found herself desiring that wonderful high anyway, not as an escape but in and of itself.

But what if Santiago was around here somewhere? Meerkat wouldn't want to cross paths with him while drugged, particularly when it started making her sleepy. She supposed he could be anywhere, especially now that Ivory Rose was no more, and without thinking, she took a step closer to Sakhmet.

"What about you? Where do you live?" she found herself asking.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Redhawk raised a flag of concern. Hadn't her mother mentioned them? That Mou had been one once before, but now wasn't. Exiled.

Although the conversation plowed on in an easy way. Not necessary to bring up such dramas. Not now, at least.

Oh. . . no, I didn't. What happened to them? Do you know? Foolishly she wondered if the land was maybe cursed now. Maybe it had always been so.

Unintentionally, she mimicked the step taken. Always easier to be closer than further.

Granted here was the tricky part. She was proud of the family she had and the little home she had discovered. Except concern still lingered on the Redhawk front. Perhaps she could be vague, without outright lying to Meerkat.

I don't have a pack, at the moment. Sort of. . . searching for a lost friend these days. It was the truth. Most of her waking moments were spent venturing the nearby territories than at the plateau.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"Eldritch just said they scattered to the winds," Meerkat shared, chewing on the inside of her cheek. Perhaps she should've asked the woman more about it, not to mention made a stronger case for Eldritch to consider the caldera. She had been a little distracted at the time and, well, there was nothing for it now. She bit back a sigh.

When Sakhmet mentioned searching for a lost friend, the yearling swallowed. Here was more unfortunately common ground. "I know what that's like," she murmured in reply, resisting the urge to mention Phox and instead wondering, "Who is it? How's the search going?" And then, because why not... "Maybe I can help."
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
They had more in common. It comforted her. Yet she also wished she could tell Meerkat more. Maybe she would have liked Blacktail. Perhaps whenever things were sorted, she could talk more openly about it.

Um, not great. A nervous smile to admit it. His name is Kigipigak. He's very big and pale. Some scars. She was not sure how else to describe him without sounding odd. Perhaps that would do, though.

She needed all the help she could get.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She didn't know how she could help, just that she wanted to make the offer. Perhaps she could take the information Sakhmet gave her and join the search, though Meerkat had to admit that it her experiences with looking for others didn't give her a lot of confidence. As a matter of fact, she'd largely given up hope on ever finding any further news about Phox and co, though abruptly she realized maybe they could help each other.

"Kigipigak," she repeated slowly. What a mouthful! The name, paired with the description, reminded her of another father figure she'd sought back in the day. "When and where did you last see him? He's not your dad, by any chance, is he?" Meerkat asked, then realizing how off the wall that might sound, she explained, "I'm actually on the lookout for my dad, which is why I ask."
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
The plateau in the distance. . . She trailed off. Almost uncertain. She did not mention that others lived atop it — or that she lived atop it right now. No, instead she sort of gawked at the follow up of him being her dad. Definitely not my dad. He's around. . .our age? I think. Meerkat seemed young, but grown enough. Much like Sakhmet.

Maybe I can offer help looking for your dad? Especially if you're helping me.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sakhmet didn't state when, though the where was promisingly nearby. Meerkat pursed her lips, which curved into a smile at the expression on the other girl's face. She could acknowledge that it was a strange thing to have asked, particularly knowing the answer.

It wasn't exactly as detailed as a "Wanted!" poster but Meerkat now had a pretty decent mental image of the guy. Before she could say anything more on the matter or maybe press Sakhmet about a timeline, she found her offer countered.

She had given up on actively searching for any leads on Phox, though she certainly wouldn't turn down this opportunity. "His name is Phox. He's black with dark orange eyes and some scarring on the left side of his face." She considered mentioning Niamh and the pups too but left it there, not wanting to take advantage of Sakhmet or overwhelm her.

Besides, Meerkat had a feeling that when the day came that they found Phox, they would find Neema and the pups too. At least, she hoped it would turn out that way. She blinked a few times, vaguely picturing that reunion.
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
Sakhmet was not sure that she had ever expected words to punch her so heavily.

It was almost as if Meerkat had smacked their skulls together. A vibration through her brain at the mere name. She was going to toss up her last meal after this. There was no doubt about it.

Her head instinctually nodded before she blurted —

I'm sorry.

It seemed to be a theme for her around Meerkat.

I just. . . It sucks. To lose someone, but I'm. . . sure you know that. Her features sharp and downward. I'll make sure to send him your way if he shows up in my searches.

Consider her disappointed.

Disappointed in herself.

Disappointed in the universe.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Meerkat didn't notice anything amiss with Sakhmet's reaction or the way she blurted out what the yearling took as condolences. She frowned and nodded her acknowledgement. They both knew what it was like to miss someone. But maybe if they helped one another, they could mutually resolve that pain.

"Yes," she agreed, "thank you. I'll keep an eye out for K... for your guy, as well. If you'll be staying in this general area, I can come back in a few weeks and call for you and we can touch base about our findings."

Supposing Sakhmet accepted her terms, this gave Meerkat a sense of purpose while she otherwise floundered with what to do with herself. And though she had long since made peace with setting down the search for her father, she felt a flicker of renewed hope about reuniting with Phox.

Would you like to wrap? :)
511 Posts
Ooc — siv
wrapped! looking forward to where this takes both of them! :D

That sounds perfect. She answered with acceptance of such terms.

If nothing more was needed, she would kindly depart. On her way back, she made sure to gently skirt the plateau. Hang near the bottom of it instead of making the climb.

Down there was where she would empty the contents of a guilty conscious. Tears and bile staining the floor.

She just wanted something normal.

Except Sakhmet Melonii had not been born normally, let alone born into a normal place. Not to normal wolves or a normal family.

She wondered if that had been the first sign for the rest of her life.

Regardless she had to eventually collect herself and return to the normal that she presented to everyone.