Redhawk Caldera the oak when it blooms; a fox in the brush
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Joining 
It was time. Long enough to linger with no affiliation. One moon since his Dad's death. 

. . .Re-death?

Killdeer still didn't know what to make of that whole deal, but he did feel one thing, very deep down—he was not alone in his grief. Bronco had left other kids behind, and while Fennec still wandered, he felt it right to remain near his siblings, to guide them as Caracal had once guided him.

Sure, that guidance had involved foolish adventure and plenty of curse words. He'd probably tone down on both of those things. But as for the other stuff that went along with mentorship. . .

He smiled at the thought, and howled for @Maia, and, with a beat's hesitation, @Teya. He didn't know what his dad's mate thought of him, given the circumstances, and to be frank, she made him a bit nervous—in the way all beautiful women made guys nervous.

But the call to both was sent up, and now, he waited, tail swaying slightly as he tamped down the urge to pace.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,523 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
saying this is after they return so I can snag it <3 but keeping the hunt vague

After the hunt, Maia had immediately spoken with @Eljay about her conversation with Kukutux. She'd let her anger get the better of her, but she hadn't apologized for it, and she knew that he would understand. He'd loved Wraen as much as she did, and despite his worry, he never prevented their children from moving on. He'd shared the news that Frolic was gone and she'd accepted it with a deepening ache in her chest.

Their daughter said she would be back, but Maia was having a harder and harder time believing those promises. How could she ask it of them, when happiness seemed to be found everywhere except at home?

She hid this deepening insecurity from her husband. He was a wonderful father and she... she had done her best. Maia knew he would not accept her criticisms of herself, but she also knew that she deserved them. Kukutux did not deserve her respect, but a part of her recognized some truth in the woman's spite. She'd never fought for her children to stay. So she had no right to be upset when they didn't.

At least she was finished with it. Wraen's death hung over her first birth and, with every year since, she dreaded everything about pregnancy. It had been worth it up until now, but with her age and Eljay's what they were, it was time to allow others to carry the future.

Maia brightened somewhat when she heard Killdeer's call and went to find him. A short time later she met him with a smile. I knew you were here, but with the hunt, I wasn't sure how long you were staying. I'm really glad you came back. Her sincerity would be obvious; it was hard to tell how Teya felt about everything, but he was family, and she remembered what losing her parents had been like. Having an older brother to talk to could only help.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
the hunt hadn't been unpleasant, and teya had secretly been pleased to see no presence from akashingo, but she was glad to be home.
and just in time too, it seemed, her body responding to a known safety, though it was one that no longer included a husband.
when killdeer's call rose, teya knew she should be sociable. but she was tetchy, on edge, and generally soaked with water from an invigorating session of ice-fishing.
still she came all the same, not wanting to linger in her changing state but desiring to see killdeer, to welcome him.
teya slid to maia's side with a smile.
[Image: zTO57rj.png]
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He gave Maia a smile at her arrival and nodded at her mention of the hunt. Right, that. He ought to have tagged along—but honestly, he'd wallowed in the aftermath of, well, everything, and had neglected to volunteer himself.

I hope it was a successful hunt, Killdeer replied. I think I'm here to stay, for a little while. For—

He broke off abruptly at Teya's entrance, giving the woman a soft stare. They were both grieving, even if it was in separate, distinct ways. He'd have to connect with her one-on-one, once he'd settled in.

I was telling Maia that I'm here to stay, he went on. I'd like to get to know my brothers and sisters—I didn't have any littermates, he explained, as an aside, and they're family. And if you loved Bronco, you're family, too.

Even if that last bit hurt a little to say, given the tiny part of him that still smarted from his parents' separation.
Brecheliant
NPC
96 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ponyboy's grief hung about him like a shadow, one that he dragged to each and every activity he took part in. It felt heavy; and he found that day by day, it did not become lighter, and made it more and more difficult for him to find the energy to hunt, patrol, and engage with others. It loomed over him now, having grown while he'd least expected it to. 

It shrank back when he heard laughter and joy- but those sounds had not come from Ponyboy in some time. 

But when he heard Killdeer's voice on the border, he could feel something shift; he remembered a sliver of what it was to be curious. Numbed, still, to most emotions, he too moved to answer the call, coming to halt by his mother's side, regarding his half-brother with a tired, but mild gaze.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,523 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
It was a lot, Maia admitted, laughing a little at how uncomfortable she’d been with the whole thing. It was ridiculous, to be so overwhelmed! They’d returned safely, and she’d only offended one pack (and maybe three by association), so it could probably be called some kind of success. Maybe.

She smiled welcomingly when Teya came up alongside her, allowing her the closeness of solidarity. Maia was glad she had come and seemed open to Killdeer, even with the awkwardness of their family situation. Maia hadn’t known his mother well, but recalled her being pretty abrasive? Clearly Killdeer took after his dad, thankfully. If Teya resented that Bronco had a prior child, she’d never shown it. Maia supposed it would be a bit like her hating Weejay… which made zero sense! She could never.

We’d love to have you! For as long as you want to stay. This is as much your home as it was your dad’s. Maia hoped she wasn’t overstepping, but it felt right to say. Bronco had loved all of his kids with every fiber of his being. There was no way he wouldn’t have said it himself if he was here.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
so sorry to hold this up, whack me next time!

"please stay, killdeer," teya said softly, touching ponyboy's shoulder in quiet. "we could all benefit from you being close," she said. in the wake of everything, her children needed more support than she could give.
killdeer would be able to help there.
she was prepared to move now, to welcome the young man another time.
[Image: zTO57rj.png]