Hushed Willows Call it post-traumatic, now it's do or die
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,426 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Private 
More and more, Reverie found herself relying on @Kyrell; his kindness was a reassurance, his charm soothing in tense moments, his presence a much-needed constant amidst Hearthwood's uncertainty. Unexpectedly, he was beginning to gain her trust. She needed that now more than ever, while Boone recovered from his own brush with death.

She'd just finished changing the dressing on her husband's wound; it was midmorning when she exited her den in search of Kyrell, trotting past Fisherman's Keep toward Bluebird Thicket where she knew he preferred to sleep. Her eyes were still red-rimmed, her fur still a bit tousled, but she wasn't so much a mess as she'd been when she'd first told him of Boone's condition. Reverie slowed as she reached the outskirts of the pine forest and called out for the Punk, searching between the trees for any sign of him.
Watching me is like watching a fire take your eyes from you
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
The year only started and Hearthwood was being put to the test. Barely a week passed without a fresh trial for the newly born pack. With Boone's infection, he had been tasked with maintaining their food supply. Several new members, with potentially more on the way, all arrived in the winter. Nothing could be taken for granted.

He had started with taking stock of their caches. The haul from the bison hunt would keep them afloat for some time yet with the winter weather freezing the meat. But it would not last forever.

Scavengers did not help the matter.

Within the thicket Kyrell encountered a poaching fox at one such cache. It's neck had been freshly acquainted with his teeth when Reverie called for him. He evaluated the cache, covered it, and collected the fox. Perhaps its fur could be put to use.

He exited the pines and approached the Coach. Her haggard appearance had not gone unnoticed. Setting the limp fox down he inquired, How are you holding up?
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,426 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Her eyes fell to the fox first when Kyrell came to greet her, and her stomach churned. It'd been days since she'd eaten anything, days since she'd even thought of it, but... a fox? Reverie averted her eyes, a little unsettled by the abrupt intensity of the craving.

It was easy enough to put her focus elsewhere when Kyrell spoke, at least. She managed a sad smile. I'm managing, Barely, but she left that part unspoken. I see our caches are well-guarded. Thank you. Soft, genuine words; Reverie had asked this of him because it was the most essential task in keeping Hearthwood alive. They would be nothing if they all starved.

She sighed, gaze turning thoughtful as it drifted back to the trees. Sometimes I think chaos follows me. When I lived at Swiftcurrent Creek in the valley to the east, there was this - witch. She wanted Blossom - she was just a newborn then, and the witch terrorized the whole pack looking for her. It was all a crazy mess, A faint laugh slipped from her at how strange it sounded now. I guess this isn't as crazy as that. But I'd take a witch over my husband nearly dying any day. I probably could've, you know, kicked her or something.

But - She turned somber then. What happened to Reina and Boone - I don't want it to happen again. This is um, really Boone's domain more than mine, but he's - well. I think we should try to make sure everyone can defend themselves. But I only know one wolf who might be able to help, and I don't know if he'd want to help. The Beta of Swiftcurrent Creek, Arric.

I thought we might offer something in return, but I don't know if we're in a position to do that... They'd already given gifts to Moonglow, but those had been promised before all this. Reverie was thinking aloud now, not truly expecting Kyrell to answer. She couldn't have these conversations with Boone, not now. Even if all the Punk could offer was his support, she would be grateful for it.
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
Kyrell's ears cupped towards the Coach as she recounted past and present woes. Former packs and witches, and friends that may be friends no longer. Old wounds aggravated by fresh ones. He listened quietly, even when her words were less for him and more for the open air.

Nonetheless, he was surprised Reverie didn't take ownership for her place in Hearthwood.

I think you're underselling yourself. You may not feel it, but Hearthwood wouldn't be the same without you.

He meant it.

He sat back onto his haunches. Reverie was considering looking outside for more help. Were you hoping this Swiftcurrent fellow, Arric be a self-defense teacher of sorts? His tone was tentative. It sounded as though bad blood may be left between Reverie and this man, if the not the entire pack of Swiftcurrent Creek.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,426 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Reverie was filled with her own gentle surprise as Kyrell made his assertion. A flush crept over her ears and cheeks. Hearthwood had always been Boone's pack more than hers; his dream that she worked to bring to life if only to see him content. Her choice would have been Kvarsheim, if not to wander forever and see all the world.

Instead she had followed him out from the center of it all to — here. Nowhere Town, The Mountains. Not even really the mountains, but some far-flung forgotten corner tucked between taiga and ocean; an identity crisis of an ecosystem with scarcely a soul around to witness it. But somehow they'd made a home of it. Somehow they'd brought others together. Somehow she'd found friends among this great stretch of nothing.

Hearthwood wouldn't be the same without you.

It meant more to her than she could ever say. Thanks, Kyrell, She murmured, eyes shining with the beginnings of tears. But in the next moment she blinked them away and tried to focus on the conversation at hand. Arric. Yeah, I thought he might be able to help teach some of us... I certainly can't teach anyone about fighting. He um - he's like family to me, but it's... complicated, too. The alpha of Swiftcurrent Creek, Akavir, kind of hates me - and they've always been close.

So I don't know if Arric will help or not, A faint, bitter smile accompanied her words. But I think it's worth trying. When um, when Boone is more stable, I might go there myself to ask... It would be unfair, she felt, to ask anyone else to walk into such an awkward situation.

Do you think you could check in on him while I'm gone? She asked next, anxiety creeping into her tone. The thought of being parted from Boone for any amount of time was almost too much to bear.
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
A glisten came to Reverie's eyes and Kyrell's ears splayed. It had not been his intention to cause her tears, however she recollected herself before he could offer an apology. She carried on, explaining more about Swiftcurrent Creek. Arric and Akavir...

A thoughtful sound creeped out from the back of his throat. There was value in training their members. While the pack clearly was able to show force, their main strength was numbers as opposed to skill. But if the alpha of Swiffcurrent Creek hated her... Was it worth the risk to ask? Worth the debt it would incur? Reverie had already sent for healers.

A neutral expression crossed his face. When Boone was stable...

It is something to think about for sure... It may be best to take someone with you when you go. It may be awkward, sure. Kyrell continued slowly, emerald gaze passing over the Coach. But I can stop in by the big man, sure.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,426 Posts
Ooc — xynien
So sorry to cut this short but is it okay if we fade this?
Reverie nodded, her gratitude in her eyes. You're right, I shouldn't go alone, She conceded softly. Pregnancy had never been kind to her; she had to remember that. Though, she wasn't sure at all who she would ask along.

Thank you, Reverie murmured, gaze drifting in the direction of her den for a moment before returning to Kyrell. I should um - I should get back to Boone. Her tone was apologetic now; leaving her husband alone for any amount of time pained her. Suppose the fever returned? She was suddenly anxious to see Boone again. We'll talk again soon, I promise.
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
All good to fade!

He nodded to Reverie, paw lifting slightly to wave her on. Don't you worry about it. I'm not something to add to the list, you got that?

He would not keep the gilded woman longed than needed. Not when they both had their parts to play. She would care for Boone, and he would keep the pack fed.

When the coach would ultimately depart, Kyrell's gaze would travel back down to the fox at his paws. He was not sure how much time he would have to himself in he coming weeks, but he even he needed busywork. Collecting the animal, he too turned away. Wandering back into the thicket.