Jade Fern Grove Seems you cannot be replaced, and I'm the one who will stay
Pledged
Party City
1,546 Posts
Ooc — xynien
She watched him, spellbound and heart aflutter. He was explaining about snow, and then he was saying that he would like to watch her dance, and then —
Oh. He wanted to watch her dance. And he was looking at her in a way no one had ever looked at her before. She couldn't quite decipher the expression, but it sent another flush of warmth through her nonetheless. That moment could have lasted forever and she would have been content, but it was only a moment, and ended as they all do. Quickly, quietly into the next. They were meant to be hunting.
She didn't want to hunt, but she would have done anything to keep Lestan here, speaking to her in that tone, looking at her with that softness in his eyes. He was speaking of hunting now, and goats, and showing her the signs. She mirrored his stance as she followed and showed great interest in each thing he pointed out to her, though none of it was surprising or foreign to her. She simply hadn't been paying attention. Now she was, and it was fascinating only because Lestan was showing her.
I've hunted goats before, She answered him simply, misunderstanding his question entirely. Her eyes were on him now. Supporting roles, mostly. I can hunt well enough, but I... Oh, she was so stupid! She turned her gaze back to the trail, ashamed. It's - stupid. I don't like killing them. Anything. I will, though.
She usually didn't think about that part. Not until it was there, happening, in the moment. But her parents had taught her to stop crying about it, mostly. It hadn't been easy. And now Lestan knew, and surely he would think her the most stupid wolf to ever exist. They were predators, after all.
But death looked the same for them all, when it came for them. And she knew death too intimately to feel anything but grief for it.
Messages In This Thread