Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
985 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
All Welcome 
tags for ref or joining! just setting a scene <3

the wolves of the red palace settled temporarily in a forest of fruiting trees. the air was sweet here, and senmut murmured here or there that one berry or another might make a fine vintage. "let us come back to this place when we return to akashingo. we will bring a great lot of these home with us."

the woodland was deep-set and moss-grounded. senmut helped @Machiavelli and @Legend to pitch their camp, leaving the perimeter to @Zaahira.

food was gathered and distributed; they ate and spoke quietly. the prince insisted on first watch, and true to form had made his own bower not far from the others, fully given over to the greenery and trees without a single pelt of comfort from the divine palace. it was as he wished. austerity was responsible, and he had grown spoiled.
Brecheliant
Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
There was a gathering of scents on the wind the likes of which Kigipigak had never before encountered; it was somehow wolf, somehow coyote, warm like autumn, and heavy all at the same time. A musk, which brought to mind fox scent, or the aroma of freshly tilled soil beneath a baking sun.

He had been roaming the area already, and was compelled to investigate. In part to be alert for the sake of his son Kivaluk, and also in part to do his best to remain alert and apprised of changes in the area. As Kigipigak drew nearer to the scents he saw a camp being built, a man giving orders.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
985 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
senmut knew some reach of the moon tribes here in the enclave of their wilderness, but his contact directly with them had been very brief.

he was thus intrigued when attention was brought to a man standing beyond the fringes of their camp, tall and the hue of fine linen, though rent by the life of a guardian.

he made the assumption of this one's origins; he raised a paw in welcoming motion. "we are peaceful emissaries. will you speak with us?"
Brecheliant
Eun Liath

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The one who gave orders took notice of him, and welcomed Kigipigak to come nearer; that was enough for the lone man to be courteous as well as cautious. He had never seen anyone who looked or sounded anything like this man, or those around him in the camp.

Kigipigak approached but did not sit, did not settle while he took a look around; noticing the warrior woman (Zaahira), who appeared to be the only one of her kind. That supported what the stranger had said.

I am Kigipigak, he introduced, feeling at once like he was meeting strangers on the edge of his village despite having none. You appear to be far from home. Are you looking for something? Or somewhere?
Inupiaq. · Common.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
985 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
"we are from akashingo, the red palace of pharaoh isetnofret toula." the green eyes shone. "travel east to the flatlands. the palace is massive and cannot be missed."

surreptitiously had morsels been brought, saged mutton from shadowed larders and berries plucked just today. as for a drink, well! water would have to suffice, unless one of the others had spirited spirits from the storerooms before departure.

"i am senmut, high priest and prince. my pharaoh and her Consort have sent us on an excursion to form several alliances and new trade routes. well met, kigipigak."
Brecheliant
Eun Liath

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
All the titles and the finery went over Kigipigak's head; he understood that this man was from a far away place based on his scent, and when it was confirmed to be far to the south he was interested, although he knew he would never go so far. Especially now, with his children scattered in this region.

Well met. He repeated back.

There was a collection of foods and goods displayed by the man, what smelled half like food and half like medicine, and Kigipigak was quickly made wary of the strangeness of these things. Best to focus on the man, who claimed to be a spirit-talker (a point against him) and a prince (a point in his favor).

Due south of your camp is the village of Brecheliant, as if they had not noticed this themselves. North for two days would bring you to village Moonglow. If you seek trade that would be a good place to start. He did not feel compelled to share about the other moon villages, or Dutch in the weald, or the plains people — Moonglow was the heart of this Bear Wilderness.

What trades do you seek? I myself am a trader, at least for now, and I have traveled far beyond this region with my work. It was not a lie; Kigipigak had been all over the Teekon in his lifetime. He wanted to learn more about these people.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
985 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
kigipigak was helpful, though senmut noticed he did not partake of what was offered. the red prince then, made a small show of eating and tasting what had been brought, as much for the sake of the other as to satisfy his own hunger.

"thank you for the navigation. i am familiar with brecheliant, though not so well how to get there. and i have been nowhere near moonglow, though too i have made acquaintance with those in moontide." it was appealing to know that another of the lunar-named packs might be a source of wealth for pharaoh, and he made a mental note of it.

"we seek beautiful objects which can be found neither in desert nor flatlands, exotic meats, pelts to charm the eye, spellwork, inlays. our secondary aim is to familiarize ourselves with such fighters as can be called from the area."

and, tertiary: to pad the gilded rooms of what would one day be a harem should rashepses have his way.

the greenstone eyes were curious on the man. "it would be good to have a guide. i am not certain we will go so far as moonglow this time, as i intend to cross the flatlands for the mountains, and what lies beyond. and already, you see that i am out of my depth," senmut grinned. "a man made for words, not navigation."
Brecheliant
Eun Liath

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
In his time away from the area Kigipigak had been so thoroughly isolated alongside his wife and children, that he had forgotten about the rest of the world. Now that he was living again in the settled wilderness, now that he spoke to this trader from a far-off place, he remembered. It was interesting to note which settlements the man spoke of; his aim was to seek the mountains and he spoke of needing a guide.

What objects could be found there? The man also spoke of spellwork and Kigipigak felt his interest withdraw a touch, as he mentally sorted Senmut in to a category of people that he naturally pitied for their superstition, and was touched by doubt — but he also sought warriors, which was intriguing.

You look for many things. What place did this man come from that was lacking in so much?

I am sure you could procure yourself a guide, or some guardians, if you visit any of the Moon villages. They are helpful and welcoming people, well, except in his own case, but that was his own trouble and he would not come between the Sunshine People and future prosperity when it would affect his own children. I would offer myself, but I have family to watch over. I do not want to be far from them so early in their lives. The look on his face asked, do you know what that is like? But he would not outright ask if this man was a father as well.

He looked young; and he spoke of his travels in a way that told Kigipigak there was nothing more to his life than this act of service to a crown.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
985 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
ah, a family. "i respect your need to remain here, kigipigak. family is greatly important."

o nazli!

"i will keep this in mind," senmut said, still noting how the scarred fighter held himself apart from these moon villages. and yet he was named as them, and spoke as them, insofar as the prince knew. curious.

a signal; a pouch of seaside feathers gotten from raindrop opened and presented to kigipigak. senmut drew out a green plume, iridescent as it flashed, and offered it to the man. "for your information, and for your time."

for the future adulation of akashingo.
Brecheliant
Eun Liath

1,276 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The man is charming. If Kigipigak was in a better headspace he might have lingered and cultivated a friendship here. Instead he was given the gift of a curious plume, and felt the conversation meet a resolution.

Thank you, he murmurs, observing the gift as he carefully takes it. Perhaps he would offer it to his son Kivaluk.

Safe travels. This region is well protected, so you should have no troubles. Kigipigak did not know of any villages further than this wilderness, but it was possible someone had settled in the mountains. He saw the man had warriors at his disposal and was not worried.

With a small bow of his head, Kigipigak took the feather and withdrew.
Inupiaq. · Common.