Ankyra Sound If there's a heaven, Lord, I'm headed straight for hell
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
There was a foul breeze that blew through Rusalka of late, and it came in the form of a certain Dragedan man.  Rosalyn had little interest in seeking him out; counter to that, she made every effort to avoid their paths crossing.  She did not know what had possessed the current leaders to accept him into their fold, but her hatred had lent a frigid fury towards his presence there.  She wouldn't raise anything over it, but only because she had more important cares to occupy herself with.  Woe to him, however, if he came near her family.

They'd had few visitors so far, which the new mother was grateful for.  Currently she was basking in the sun just outside their den's entrance, watching @Reyes as he clambered upon poor... was it @Clementine?  She smiled fondly at the idea that it would be near impossible for the pups to tell they were not all one brood.  

They were beautiful, but they were a lot all the same.  She was tired, and could feel herself drifting off for a nap as the sun warmed her back.  She gave a lengthy yawn and figured she should probably move; it was just so pleasant here.  Before she knew it, she was napping lightly, ever instinctually alert to the sounds in the den as she dozed.

tags for ref, aw
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas shared similar reservations, and as of late had kept furtive. the less the wolves of rusalka (and by proxy, the ex-dragedan) saw of her, the better. she did not yet abandon her duties to the mothers -- she saw to it that rosalyn, erzulie, and grezig never wanted if she could help it.

coming across rosalyn, caiaphas noticed the traces of exhaustion riddling her comrade's features. "you sleep -- i will watch." she settled down close to the russet priate, keeping her focus on the cubs which played rambunctiously.
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn snapped awake as Caiaphas came up, but she relaxed when she noted who it was.  Her mistrust and old grievances had been stirred again, but none of that extended to thinking that Caiaphas would harm their children.  Most of it wondered, once her current value as a mother was gone, what their relationship would become.

They are quiet today, but soon they'll be ready to move outside, she said, remaining as she was but leaving her eyes open a spell.  She was excited for that day as well - the den could get crowded with seven of them.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
caiaphas settled her thin limbs in the sand, ready to stand vigil if need be. the pirate remained where she was, which caiaphas accepted with a nod. often, it was hard to simply dispense of that motherly feeling -- even if you were exhausted.

rosalyn's comment caused caiaphas to glance at the pups side-long. they were a healthy lot, proof of rusalka's strength. she imagined if things in that den were not already crowded, they would soon be. pups had a way of always wanting to be constantly on the move. "time flies," she remarked dryly, turning back to rosalyn with her face grim. "their father?" she did not wish to sting the pirate, but if she had been visited by their cowardly sire, caiaphas wished to know.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
It really did.  She glanced back fondly too, then laid her head down on the sand with a brief sigh.  Her gaze grew harder, though, and careless as Caiaphas mentioned their father.  They don't have one, nor do they need one, she answered.  Illidan had seemed to doubt that fact, but she somehow guessed Caiaphas would have less issue with the concept.  Erzulie thought maybe, but now she agrees.  They are better off for it.

It was likely a little hypocritical, judgement of Firefly's fleeing coming from her.  But while she had run from a good many things in her life, there were things you could not run from.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
a hardened film overcame rosalyn's stare, cutting the warmth of her russet features. caiaphas regretted being the author to such a change, but she needed to know; she hoped, in some way, rosalyn would understand it was not just idle curiosity that drove her. to abandon one family was crime enough - but two, and an entire pack... well..

firefly might be welcome back in rusalka, but he might find the reception filled with teeth. in either event, he would be unlikely to leave alive.

the siren turned her gaze away as rosalyn spoke, understanding the woman's conviction; a flicker of that wronged flame burned also in her heart. "they will never miss him." the sylph intoned, crossing one slender paw in front of the other as she sighed. would men ever grow apart from dogs? "and they are better for it. if i see him, i shall give him your regards." caiaphas' eyes flashed with promise, and a wry smile played the edges of her blackened gums.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She wasn't wrong in guessing they were similar minds on this; but their problem had always been that they were similar, was it not?  Others were worth as much as their use, and Firefly's had run out the instant he did.  He was nothing to her now, and she doubted he was much to the siren either.

Hopefully he stays gone.  I don't think that he has any interest in them, but if he does, he won't survive to make good on it.  She wouldn't give him the benefit of forgiveness if he attempted to see them, especially without her blessing.  That too he had forfeited.

Speaking of return - I hear one of the dragons has returned?  she turned Sharp, unreadable eyes on Caiaphas.  An explanation of that would be nice, honestly.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
for a moment the pair reflected on firefly, both of similar opinions of the man. if caiaphas saw him again, she would show him the blessing of her teeth -- and she knew rosalyn was good on doing the same.

speaking of men, another man she had much preferred being absent from her life had returned, and rosalyn rightfully was curious as to the nature of his unanticipated inception into ankyra. she shrugged her shoulder in the universal gesture of powerlessness -- had it been up to her, she would have turned the rogue away. "he came just as i regained my power," the sylph explained, feeling a sigh edge into her words. "illidan was there and wished to give him a chance. once, you know, i was like that -- this sound was harbor to all types of hellhounds and misfits." she trailed off, knowing rosalyn would recall saltwinter. "i did not wish to speak against illidan's decision. he is young, but he must learn how to be a leader. part of that is learning from your mistakes." the crone did not believe for a moment vercingetorix was an ally; but it was better to keep your enemies close, for fangs only came with so much range..
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She wasn't entirely placated by the risk Caiaphas was taking in trusting this decision to her son, but she also wasn't in a position to argue.  She had absolutely no interest in making a bid for that power again.

So long as his mistakes don't become our problem, she replied,   but I'm sure we'll all be watching.  If Verx did not try anything then perhaps Illidan's trust was founded.  But she couldn't believe the Dragedan's position here was in good faith, and she could not bring herself to like him after her experience in the cliffs.  If he tried anything, and her family came to harm, she'd know where the blame lay.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
they were of similar opinions. caiaphas trusted vercingetorix just about as far as she could chuck a walrus: as it was, she couldn't chuck a walrus.

her lips pursed as rosalyn finished, and she gave a nod of assent. "indeed, all eyes are on that man." caiaphas intoned rather ominously, knowing that much of rusalka resented vercingetorix for his part in their fight against drageda. yet, if ever there was a place to atone for past griefs, it was certainly the place where it all started..
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn affirmed with a mute nod, though she knew for herself even that wasn't enough.  She doubted she would ever accept his presence here or allow herself to consider him a packmate.  A necessary annoyance, perhaps, but no more.

I appreciate it, came her only succinct reply, though she did share a wicked grin shortly after.  A part of me hopes he tries something.  It's been quiet.  Any excuse... well.  Obviously.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
rosalyn’s distrust of the swarthy man in their ranks was not unfounded. caiaphas noted, with much amusement, that her daughter shared the same view. what ever had she done to raise such a jaded, sardonic child? perhaps Rosalyn had a hand in it — not necessarily a bad thing, given that a healthy skepticism of all things was generally how wolves stayed alive. 

caiaphas did not grin in return, but her expression was warped by some glint of amusement in those hawkish yellow eyes. and if he does... she need not elaborate. rusalka was not a spineless bunch; every wolf in their ranks was tenacious, armed with teeth they used all too gladly. let him try, caiaphas thought bemusedly...

after all, rusalka had already been underestimated once..