Bearclaw Valley cursed to hold a weight you cannot bare
i survived
the laws of gravity
180 Posts
Ooc — delaney
All Welcome 
steep walls surround the valley on all sides but this narrow passage, and newt stares at it, imperial gaze sizing it up, sizing up the snow that blankets the earth, the boulders, rocks and dusts the conifers whose limbs bow with the weight of the snow from the heavy snowfall recently. it doesn't outwardly appear treacherous but he knows looks can easily be deceiving. there is a flutter in his chest then; apprehension. his ears feather back against the strong curve of his skull —

but there is fresh raccoon scents leading into the valley thru this passage and if there are raccoons it's a safe assumption to make that there will be other small woodland creatures there, especially given the lack of pack scents. he is a provider, a guardian and watcher of hearth and home ...that was not without its risks. steeling his shoulders, he begins to trudge through the snow, finding it deeper in some places than in others.

it is only when he steps into the valley that yawns before him, protected by the steep rock walls that he releases the breath he had been unknowingly holding. though he considers looking back at the passage; he resists. instead, he follows the raccoon scent trail eager to find his quarry once more.
━─┄ these jaws of brevity
i will not let them sink
their teeth into my soul

813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet had hoped to return by the time Autumn rose, but they'd been held up. Even now @Mona had remained behind, assisting her brother, but she'd given her blessing for Gannet to take Ashlar and see how the hollow fared. Gannet felt badly leaving her alone to look after an ailing Casmir, but Ashlar was keen on coming back and Gannet had not wanted the boy to come alone. He was perhaps old enough, but just.

Unfortunately they had arrived too late. The Hollow was gone, dispersed elsewhere. "It happens, sometimes," he'd explained, but Gannet felt the disappointment in his stomach as well. He'd promised to return and had failed, and now the pack was gone.

Now he cut a path south, and planned to perhaps stop by Moonspear before leaving. He hadn't traveled this way very often, but he recognized the valley they passed through. Bearclaw Valley, he said softly to his shadow, who was staring above with open fascination at the surrounding cliffsides.

Then Gannet froze as a stranger crossed nearby. He didn't call out, but did watch him carefully. He seemed engrossed in something. A hunt?

i couldn't wait <3
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It hadn't felt very good to leave momma behind.  Ashlar was impatient to explore, but when he had proposed coming back here, he had thought maybe both baba and she would follow him. When she had to stay Ashlar almost called it off.  He was just old enough to feel the pressure of leaving the nest, and cancelling travel plans to stay with his mom was hardly the move of an adult.

Ashlar missed her like crazy.  He couldn't imagine if Gannet had elected to stay behind as well.  How anyone left their parents all together was a little beyond him; he had so much to learn!  Baba was teaching him plants, how to heal, and how to explore!

Cool.  Are there really bears? Ashlar breathed softly as Gannet told him the name of this place.  Then, just as quickly, he stopped rigid as well when the other adult did.  It seemed that he wasn't going to get an answer right that moment.  He took a step back and behind, an old habit, and lowered his head ever so slightly.  Even if this other wolf was friendly, Ashlar wasn't one to take chances.
i survived
the laws of gravity
180 Posts
Ooc — delaney
thanks for joining! <3

the valley that yawns out before him as he begins to head towards the woodland, the sound of fresh water detected among the chirrups of squirrels and calls of birds, is surprisingly hale. it would be foolish to think that this sanctuary — tucked away next door this whole time! — would harbor large game and yet the hope for it blooms readily within newt's chest all the same. still, he keeps to the fresh raccoon tracks, biting back the small snicker of laughter that threatens to escape his throat as he sees the deeper parts of snow where the little beast has, clearly, struggled and waddled in it.

he has to oft remember that he, west ( probably clay ), and greyback were colossal beasts that likely push the size limits of their species. it shows in how gaunt valette has allowed herself to get so that she could provide for them; and these thoughts ...they only ignite the spark of the hunt within newt.

his singular revere, however; is broken by the sound of voices nearby. steps cease abruptly and his head swings in their direction. they hadn't called out to him but newt suspects that he hasn't gone unnoticed. it is almost tell-tale in the way the adult stares at him, and from behind him with lowered head stands a youth about his own age. it's almost comical, to see a near full grown youth standing behind the pale male like he would as a small child.

the staring, though, soon begins to fill newt with the feeling like he was taking part in a showdown at sunset. uh, hey. he eventually greets, tail giving a neutral wave to show that he isn't interested in being aggressive with them. you two travellers? he inquires lightky, trying to get a feel on whether they were just passing thru or if they were here for something more permanent.
i will not let them sink
their teeth into my soul

813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet smiled as Ashlar hid behind him. He did nothing to correct it either, as he didn't mind the boy was shy. He would likely get over it in time. Gannet himself wasn't one of many words, though time with Mona had made him slightly more vocal than before.

He was looking to find a route around without disturbing the hunting man, but instead it seemed his presence interrupted anyway.

We are, the white wolf replied, an apologetic undercurrent in his voice. I am Gannet. This is Ashlar. Who had lived around here, did he remember?

We were looking for the Hollow, but they are gone. He settled on telling rather than asking who Newt belonged to. He wasn't recognizable from Terence's pack but could have been a newcomer. He seemed around Ashlar's age; young to be too far from parents, but not unheard of.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ashlar looked down when Gannet introduced him but made no move to add anything.  The youth was never sure what to say to strangers.  Hello was a good place to start, sure, but then what?

He felt his mouth go dry and raised his eyes timidly.  The other wolf cut a hugely imposing figure and seemed extremely sure of himself here.  Despite their approximate ages, he felt distinctly insufficient by comparison.  He didn't feel bad about that; Ashlar was just quietly fascinated as he peered subtly at Newt.  He hadn't had a friend his age really since the Hollow.
i survived
the laws of gravity
180 Posts
Ooc — delaney
we are, comes the pale male's response.

gannet, the introduction follows. newt's imperial gaze goes from gannet to the youth about his own age introduced as ashlar and then back again when the darker of the two doesn't seem inclined to add anything.

i'm newt. he offers his own name in return. gannet supplies that they are looking for 'the hollow' — which newt is left to assume is the name of a pack ...but if he's heard it before it does not ring any bells; seconds later as gannet informs him that they are gone it no longer matters. i'm sorry to hear that, newt offers as a condolence despite that he, himself, doesn't know how it feels to come here to a whole pack missing.

only a brother and that was bad enough. well, i'm not really the one that knows much about packs around here — newt admits, cringing slightly at how much it makes him sound like a homebody. but my mom or dad might. they lead easthollow. it's right next door. newt says and then hesitates before offering, i could take you to the borders, if you'd like? it would mean foregoing his hunt but if it helped these two wanderers find their way to whom newt assumes is their family then it was worth it. there were other raccoons, after all.
i will not let them sink
their teeth into my soul

600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The other boy had an odd name.  Newt.  Ashlar liked it quite a bit, and he mouthed it silently as Newt continued to speak without even realizing he'd done it.  

His hopes fell a bit when Baba's question came back with no real answer.  It wasn't a definite, however, and Ashlar's eyes lit up when Newt said his parents might know instead.

We should go.  He said it quietly, but as he did he took a small step forward.  Then he flushed a little, timidly.  Um, if it's okay.  His tongue tripped over the second part awkwardly, stumbling through as his nerves caught up with his excitement.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet had to think about it for a moment. He wanted to press on to more familiar borders, but if there was a chance they knew where the Hollow had gone, it was worth taking. He opened his mouth to speak, but was surprised when Ashlar cut across him.

Okay. Moonspear could wait. He shouldn't have been surprised. Ashlar only knew Terance and his family, after all, and the hollow had been his only home here. Outside of Liffey's family, who were even longer gone, most of his circle was there. Gannet didn't recall exactly how close Ashlar was to Terance's children, but it must have been some to ignite that response.
i survived
the laws of gravity
180 Posts
Ooc — delaney
newt looks in muted surprise, ears cupping forth atop his skull as the other youth pipes up, speaking for the first time since newt's addressed the wayfarers. the darker pelaged boy is in favor of accepting newt's offer and after what newt assumes is some deliberation gannet eventually speaks up. his response is simple, but its accepting of the offer newt has presented the strangers with. his ears cup forth and a neutral wave of his tail is given as he turns from the direction he'd been heading, abandoning the raccoon trail.

ok, newt says. it's not far. he assures the pair, motioning with a small gesture of his muzzle for them to follow him. he retraces his steps with ease, leading them back thru the passage way he'd taken to get into the valley and 'round the small squat mountain that protected said valley to the borders of easthollow. mindful of his company, newt lingers back instead of crossing over the claim threshold and sends up a howl for @Valette or @Greyback — whichever parent responds to it first. when his summons ends and begins its fade in the distance, newt looks to his companions again, hoping that it doesn't take long to flag a parent down.
i will not let them sink
their teeth into my soul

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was curious when her son howled for her. She made her way to the border, curious to find him with two other wolves. The female slowed down into a walk and stepped towards them. Her tail up but generally really friendly towards the others since they were with her son. Valette dipped her head. "I am Valette, Matriarch of Easthollow," She introduced to the two strangers.

She then looked at her son to explain more about them. Did Newt just find new recruits for Easthollow? That would be amazing. They could use some extra members to help out and take down the bigger prey. Since there were clear signs they were returning.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet can be skipped for a bit unless directly addressed!

It wasn't long between when Newt howled and Valette came. Gannet hoped they had news, especially for Ashlar's sake, but he didn't count on it. He did not remember if the two packs had been allies or communicated much, so it seemed that hadn't been the case.

Now that Ashlar had requested this, though, Gannet stayed back and looked at his son with an encouraging smile. This is all you.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ashlar followed and felt oddly more comfortable around Newt now that he'd spoken.  He followed as Newt led them to his home and remained silent (yet at ease) until the wolf Valette approached.  Ashlar expected Gannet to speak for them as usual but instead his father directed a rather pointed look at him.  The dark boy was not one for the spot light and shivered with how I'll-suited it felt.  When he finally lifted his voice, Ashlar's tone held an audible quaver.

H-hi.  I am Ashlar and this is my b- dad.  He'd almost let the nickname slip but managed to catch his tongue in time.  We w-were wondering, do you know what happened to the hollow?  To Terance and everyone?  His voice held a note of hope despite the stammer, and he waited avidly once he was done for an answer.  Please, please, please, let the answer be yes.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Leta always liked to try and be useful. When her head was not in the clouds and her eyes not on the stars, she was doing her best to do so. Today she tried by trailing her mother; she felt she had much to learn from their own family matriarch, which, clearly, her mother was. Though Leta was young still, she was old enough to understand the importance of her mother and father both. Leta had taken to following them both when she could, though she was far less stealthy than @Greyback was in her efforts.

So her mother likely would have known that, sooner or later, Leta would emerge. And she did now, just as Ashlar stammered out his sentence. She looked to Newt and drifted to his side, sniffing at his shoulder before she turned toward the other boy, her interest in him and his father apparent. Leta's tail waved; her mother seemed calm, so she reflected that... with a few cups of happiness and a sprinkle of excitement added into the mix, too. Unable to help herself, Leta bubbled over with a thrilled little: Hi! But then looked sheepishly toward her mother, tail wagging between her hinds as she darted to place an apologetic nibble-kiss to her dams chin, oops! Didn't mean to interrupt!

leta can be skiPPED!
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback came upon the scene not much later after the call, his regal self appearing and looking over the group of wolves. His mate, and two out of his three children were present, something that didn't happen all that often anymore. The quakes had changed not only the life around the hollow, but the functioning within the pack. With a smile he made his way over to give each of them a firm nose press on their crown in passing before turning two the two new strangers.

He was in time to hear the younger one give their names, and rolled them over in his head for safe keeping. As for his question, Greyback wearily glanced over to Valette. 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Skipping Newt since they came to talk to Val. Hope that is ok! <3

The matriarch smiled encouragingly at the youngster when he was talking. She always had a soft stop for them. It would be a good experience for him to talk to her. The female's ears twitched as she heard another approach. Valette closed her eyes happily when her mate greeted her. She was always glad to see him or have him by her side. The youngster, who had been doing the talking asked about the hollow wolves.

"They are well, yet there was little food in this valley so they moved---," Valette assured them but had to stop half way because Leta decided to greet them. The mother looked at her daughter with a pointed look but quickly continued. "Arbiter told me that they would move up North from here," she explained, glad that Arbiter visited her and let her know. She was glad to be helping these two. Especially since Easthollow now had far more neutral territory where they could take prey from since the Hollow wolves moved. "I do not know their exact locations but as soon as you traveled for a day north I would just howl from time to time to see if they hear you," she advised. "Do you need any rest? You are welcome to rest here. The hollow wolves were always courteous neighbors and since you are friends of the hollow I'd like to extend that courteousness." It was a good lesson for her children as well in diplomacy.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Another wolf showed up, even bigger than the one who had met them first.   Ashlar felt his face flush with nerves and quailed a bit under Greyback's austere attention.  The boy kept his feet and did not back away, to his credit.

Ashlar looked excitedly at Gannet when he heard the news, and he could not prevent his tail from going a bit with the excitement.  He had worried that they would not find them and that they were gone for good.  He didn't really know how to respond to the rest of what she said.

Thank you!! Umm... I d-dont think so.  I think we can go.  He felt his mouth go dry, but when he looked over, Ashlar smiled at Leta.  He was a little overwhelmed by all of the new strangers but she seemed super nice. Maybe it would be good to have neighbors like these who could eventually become friends too.