Sunspire Mountains scindo
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 

it was almost time to depart these mountains.

germanicus now had taken the fair assumption that the pale wolf and her counterpart had descended from the stone teeth. he had returned with sihaya to the vale as promised. they would not stay longer.

it was a steep and downward path that trailed. he could not help but think of the shadow.

germanicus put a silent patrol in a broad perimeter at the tracks's base, intending to catch any saint which might have thought it safe to return. a final march before their return.
Loner
seraphs sob at vermin fangs
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
After the battle between Nyra and the horde of angry wolves that saw fit to end her life, after Sivugat had chosen himself above his loyalties to either party, after running like hell was on his heels ready to drag him under, the boy had found a small dark place and holed up there.

It wasn't until a few days later that he had begun to digest what he had undergone. The pain in his side had not lessened; if anything he felt worse for the heat that it gave off, the incessant itch he knew he should not scratch.

He had some new score-marks across his body from the scuffle (fangs had been flying and he had not been so lucky) and these he tended to with the same indifference as the other hurts: he slept in his hole, doing next to nothing for himself.

The sound of footfalls outside of his hiding place, cued with his first excursion from the hollow since he'd collapsed there, made him stiff-legged and cautious. He needed to go outside and take a piss, but Sivugat was on high-alert, disinterested in the lingering threat of whoever had won.

Any of the three warring parties would happily take his life.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the scent was familiar.

germanicus stopped. "show yourself. akashingo controls these lands now."

it was a gambit, but one the eagle was willing to make.

his voice fell away. he merely stood, eyes smoothly gliding from shadow to hollow to crevasse. a soft wind scattered orange leaves down across his silver coat.
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The stern voice which had goaded him in to a fight, came next. Demanding that he expose himself. There wasn't any reason to obey except that Sivugat worried - if he did not, if he hid here in his hole the way he hid from everything always, would the man come to claim him? Or would the hole become more of a prison, the way Kukutux' village had?

There wasn't time to debate things internally. Sivugat was not given the luxury of that, as he knew the voice, and had learned the hard-faced man was one of action more than paltry words.

He rose and came staggering from where he had rested, his side caked with blood. His paws raw from running. Sallow-faced and hungry, utterly pathetic in the wake of war.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it was the boy who had run from him. germanicus flicked his eyes over his own handiwork and then back to the sullen face.

"the saints are gone. you can leave these mountains. or you can come with me."

the younger wolf had been strong. proper training would further hone his large body. "if i am made to drive you off again, i will not be so gentle."
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Gentle? That's what he called it? It was not a word within Sivugat's lexicon to begin with, but now he saw the strength of the man and had a word for it.

Here there was a choice to be made. Sivugat rarely got offered such things. The last had been from Kukutux but she was a witch and, as witches do, she had tricked him. How then would this man trick him? Sivugat saw the way he appraised the boy's body with a look - and his thoughts turned dark.

What exactly did this man want him for? It wouldn't matter; Sivugat was aware of his current weakness and he knew he could benefit from aid, and training, like he had from Nyra. And as with Nyra, should this contract lead to disappointment, Sivugat would make use of it.

Fine. He slurred. What choice could he have? He could not run, and a fight would only result in a loss. Begrudgingly the boy moved, showing signs he would follow, though he was unhappy about it.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"pharaoh ramesses of akashingo holds these mountains now." it was a lofty claim, but their victory had been assured.

"he means the canyon to be his. an outpost. it will be a gathering of men i believe. soldiers. not to begin war but to end it."

germanicus turned, gestured. "you will help me to build it, and perhaps to hold it when i leave."
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The name of some man not present was meaningless. The title of a land Sivugat would never see, equally so. The rest of what the man said was valuable to the right person, although it was not something that Sivu cared for either.

He accepted his position easily enough - he was to be a warrior for this outpost. For this pharaoh. A soldier to end wars.

The most curious part came after - as an admittance by the roman. Leave? The boy's ears shot forwards as if he hadn't heard correctly.

You want to make a soldier out of me, the way Nyra wanted, only to leave, like she did? The fur along his nape bristled. There came a strange look upon Sivugat's face, as if he were studying Germanicus now, weighing his truths, making his own judgements.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"unlike nyra, i am telling you now that i will be leaving. and who knows for how long. but before i do, this place will stand and be strong."

he felt himself being studied. "i have a prior obligation. it will be fulfilled whether or not you join this outpost."

his voice was level. the eagle waited.
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Was this the way the world worked? Someone strong came along, gathered a force, only to fuck off at the last second every time?

He could not recall such things happening within Ursus; but then he thought of his father, or the stories of his father that he had been raised on, and knew it had been true then too. That wolves who felt they were strong often forgot themselves — or forgot that death could come for them at any time, cushioned by their sense of superiority.

Sivugat did not like that this man was the same ilk as Nyra, only dressed in a different skin. Using different words to say the same thing: I am weak, but I am telling you from the start that I am weak.

Was he to take comfort in this premeditation?

Fine. He states again, flatly. His thoughts were put aside for the time being — Sivugat knew he could not be picky when it came to who he followed, not now, when faced with this man who was in greater health.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the eagle grunted.

"i do not want to be a leader. i wish to make leaders of those who follow me. i answer to no wolf. nor shall you, but you will be stronger when i have taught you discipline."

he paused. "what is the name you were given at birth?"
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Sivugat had no grandiose vision of himself. He was the snake under heel at the best of times. Learning now of the man's desire, to build something, to create someone strong enough to lead, he saw nothing but struggle ahead for himself. More wolves to bow to. More bodies fighting for control of him. More teeth to be used upon him when, inevitably, he was subjugated.

This earned nothing but a scowl.

As for a name, he had only one thing to say: I was never named. Call me what you want, like all the others before you. That was how the contract worked; he would assume this identity and keep it until it was suitable not to.

Tuur, Karst, Nuak, Sivugat ---

What did it matter what he was called, when really the question was always, what can you do for me?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
a man of many names.

he was reminded of sabah.

"i do not want ownership over you. i will not choose your name."

the eagle's voice was calm. he moved onward, sweeping for the wolves of the dying light.

if the boy did not wish to give a name, then let him be nameless. merit lay in strength. strength lay in discipline.
Loner
667 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He held no ownership of any identity.

The man before him refused to grant him such a thing — yet in doing so, afforded the boy freedom.

Once before he had chosen a name for himself. So many others piled on that quickly enough he lost himself to the chaos of his life. What did it matter what he was called?

This time Sivugat had nothing to say. The man was hunting and the conversation seemed at an end. The boy would give it some thought but as he ruminated over what to do, he silently fell in line to follow the warrior.

It was better to keep moving.