an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
set after this

"@Arsenio. will you please inform lady @Ruenna that an emissary from the palace has arrived. and that i ask for her presence."

he eyed @Qiao for a long moment and then faced forward again, awaiting the arrival of the matrona. she also did not care for akashingo but he rather doubted she would have begun this time with a threat.

it was too late to take back.
Loner
burying them there while we carry on.
317 Posts
Ooc —
under the burn of the general's stare, qiao remained composed. interestingly, germanicus spoke as if she were a welcome visitor, and yet, qiao could not help but feel hostility clamp around her like wolf jaws.

she was not one for small talk. the lady ruenna -- the general's wife -- would arrive soon enough. qiao wondered if she shared germanicus' pleasant disposition.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
An emissary, or a spy? Or both? Both seemed likely. Ruenna and Arsenio traded theories in hushed voices as he led her through the canyon. 

They stopped briefly to speak with Tamar, who was sent to prepare a room for their guest. 

Ruenna was all too aware of her heavy limp as she neared Germanicus and the emissary. She knew it was always the first thing anyone noticed about her, when meeting her for the first time. She tried to keep the pain from her expression as she approached, but this was not an easy feat. 

"Hello," Ruenna spoke, quietly and with a soft smile. "Welcome to Mereo. I am Lady Ruenna Caeso-Redsand." Her gaze flicked to Germanicus, but his features gave away little.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
teo, feel free to toss arsenio in anytime if u want! <3

germanicus experienced a rush of something he might better describe as sensitivity over how the stranger might receive ruenna. he too was aware of her gait. but it had affected nothing about her effectiveness as a leader. his yellowpaint eyes rested on their guest.

he wanted to be cruel and introduce the akashingo creature himself.

but he did not. the imperator was silent and composed. only qiao knew the words they had shared. unless she brought them up, germanicus saw no reason to revisit. 

ramesses' fellahin was aware of their standing.
Loner
317 Posts
Ooc —
qiao could see immediately why germanicus favored her - visually she was most appealing. silvery cream, doe-like eyes tinged with knowing, suggestive of a powerful mind behind tranquil composure.

a limp hounded her every step and shattered the illusion of anything but a creature of great suffering. qiao's gaze cut to germanicus in hardened accusation -- skilled physician and he let this noble woman live a life sorrowed by pain?

he was even crueler than qiao imagined.

she tsked to herself internally, noting traces of gauntness on lady ruenna's frame. this was not just a limp -- it was pain that shackled her and gnawed down to the bone. 

qiao bowed deferentially to the lady. "greetings, lady ruenna caseo-redsand. i am qiao-ilha. i have been sent by ramesses of the red earth to aide mereo in its establishment." qiao did not like the dark lines under lady ruenna's eyes. "i am a priestess and healer by trade, but my skills are both useful in the court and the battlefield. i hope to serve mereo well."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna could not help but recall Tamar's warning, that the threat from Ramesses would be veiled. What was this woman's true purpose here? 

"How kind of the Pharaoh," Ruenna spoke. "What an honor it will be, to host someone of your talents." Her words measured. It was odd, that this emissary called Ramesses by name. Ruenna was sure that she had never before heard one Ramesses's followers call him by anything other than a title or an honorific. It made Ruenna wonder if Qiao-Ilha was new to his employment. 

"Our medic, Aquene, mentioned to me the need for a second full-time healer for Mereo. The stars smile upon us." Ruenna's eyes met Germanicus's for a long moment before shifting back to Qiao. "I would like to take you to meet Aquene and her apprentice, Malila, if Germanicus is agreeable," Ruenna suggested.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am agreeable." but he was not. qiao had approached him as one who would conspire against the pharaoh. he did not care for the plot when she fairly reeked of that throne room. her assumed threat had commanded one of its own. mereo did not suffer spies. 

germanicus had looked levelly back at qiao, ignoring her accusation. it was not a lack of concern for ruenna, only his refusal to show weakness. and he did not care for the idea of his wife going off with the pharaoh's chosen. but he could not trail her as if he she were a child. all eyes in mereo would be upon their newcomer.

he nodded toward them and would stand with a soldier's stiff bearing, watchful until they had gone on. 

and then he would find arsenio again and set the red mercenary to be on his own watchfulness.
Loner
317 Posts
Ooc —
how different from the general this lady seemed; and yet, both carefully controlled their tongue. 

from one, honey flowed on golden tap. for the other, nothing but querulous ice. 

qiao bowed once more in the general’s direction. she distrusted his agreeableness, but gave little lead. turning to lady ruenna, the priestess spoke with a thin smile. thank you, my lady. i look forward to meeting the two of them.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Germanicus agreed, and it was settled. Ruenna led their guest away, returning her thin smile with a somewhat fleeting one of her own. "..They have been hard at work, building a medicine den and stocking it, which can't be easy in the middle of winter..." Ruenna spoke proudly of Aquene's and Malilia's efforts. "I think you will be impressed. I know I am." Ruenna's expression thawed as she spoke of her civilians' dedication, and the next smile Qiao received would be much warmer. 

Ruenna would lead Qiao to the tablinum and should Aquene or Malila be present, she would introduce hem straightaway. 

going to fade for us.