Redtail Rise the sphinx
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
All Welcome 
the weather upon the Rise matches the ice in her heart. stark, frigid, unyielding.

the bright winter sun does peek out every so often from the wispy clouds, but it provides no warmth. and Avicus, fur grown out to its fullest, paces 'round the rendezvous, barking a challenge to @Relic.

and then to @Redd and @Masquerade.

if the others are foot soldiers in her regime, her children are officers. or, at least, she means them to be. she will not let them fall to Nyra; she will not allow their death at the hands of that woman.

they will fight; they will win.

but they must be in shape to do it. she begins to square off with her burly son, feinting as he charges toward her and sending him galloping away; she catches his jaundiced sidelong look and snorts, breath fogging in the briefest of laughs.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
297 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Avicus does not call them often, so Redd is quick to respond to the summons when it comes.  Her brother is already there when she arrives and she stops a small distance away immediately, settling lightly on her haunches to watch as they square off.

She’ll remain ready, in case the Wealda does not wish to take them one at a time.  As that thought occurs, so does another.  War will not be guaranteed one on one either.  Perhaps she should try challenging more than one to a spar sometime soon.
Pledged
Dragonspine
871 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade wished they were tracking the killer rather than a couple of wild pigs, though of course there was merit to keeping the pack fed and fueled. They wondered if they might be able to wrangle one on their own, though the moment they caught a glimpse from a distance, Masque knew it was far too risky. The feral swine were a lot bigger than they’d anticipated.

They fell back right when the Wealda sent up her call. Masque heeded it quickly, knowing there would be reason for it but making a note to mention the pigs to Avicus. Perhaps if she’d already gathered her children to her, the four of them could go after one of the hogs.

The last to arrive, they swirled their tongue around their teeth and bowed to their Wealda and siblings. Masque had no quarrel with their station as the lowest-ranking among the small family and made sure to keep their head low and limbs loose as they waited for their mother to speak.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
they've settled their pecking order with time. brawny Relic with strength, the lithe Redd, ferocity, and Masquerade, who may bring up the rear but has proven herself a dogged hunter nonetheless.

she's incredibly proud of them all.

ah'hack me, Avicus orders. she squares her shoulders and plants her paws into the snow, gaze whipping 'round to stare down all three of them.

Relic relents, having just had a go (his pride slightly hurt, perhaps? or just winded?). that means it's one of the girls' turn—or both of them together.

she intends on fending them all off at once, eventually.

Nyra will not give them any breaks.
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
297 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Wealda is stronger and faster.  Redd begins to circle but does not jump in immediately.  She needs to find weakness if she will have a chance to hold her own.  She doesn’t expect to, nor want to, win.  She only needs to not lose.

If her sister joins, they may have a chance.  She could try to provide an opening.  Redd glances at Masque, then back to her mother, before lunging forward and aiming low.  She will try to open up a flank and hope Masquerade is bold enough to press forward.
Pledged
Dragonspine
871 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Avicus wanted her children to attack her. Masquerade licked their chops and glanced at Relic, though their focus hovered more steadily on Redd. They tried to read their sister’s intentions in her body language, cuing up their own response based off hers.

When Redd exchanged a glance with them and then leaped in for a low blow aimed at the Wealda’s flank, Masquerade made good on their role as wingman. Too wary of attacking in the direct vicinity of Avicus’s jaws, Masque sprang to snatch at the red woman’s tail.

In a true fight, such a maneuver would not prove fatal, of course, but it would serve as a painful distraction. And Masquerade could hold their enemy fast, allowing Redd to move in and do damage.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
Redd is first, of course. she strikes low. Avicus doesn't make any evasive movement, watching her daughter's progress—and letting her collide if successful—keeping her indigo gaze instead on the waiting Masquerade.

they are sisters. they've hunted together, play-fought together. they'll have learned to communicate without a word.

sure enough, Masquerade strikes—and she's intrigued by the girl's move, for as Redd goes for the flank, Masque goes rear-end, too. 

her tail.

she'd have thought her shoulder or nape would be a better target, but perhaps her lithe, rangy girl is too timid. in any case, Redd's blow to her flank strikes true, and she responds by skittering back, leaving Masquerade's teeth snapping just shy of her tail.

now whahh'? Avicus barks in command, and taking the opportunity, she lunges toward a hopefully-distracted Masquerade and her exposed midsection.

she won't do much more than lightly pummel her ribs—but how will they respond?
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
297 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Redd backed off as Avicus leapt back, but only momentarily.  As soon as she was distracted in lunging at Masquerade, Redd used this moment to strike once more.

This time she went for the scruff.  It felt wrong to try and catch Wealda so, but in a true fight the place would let her drag an opponent from her sister and bear them back.

She could submit after.  She had been ordered to fight as she would.
Pledged
Dragonspine
871 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masquerade was no tactician, though their failure to snatch their mother’s tail gave Redd an opening. As Avicus rounded on them and attacked their flank, they could see their sister lunging in to grab at the woman’s nape. Masque’s heart leaped, excited by the sight of Redd going for the “enemy’s” throat. They would happily take a beating in the name of their sister’s victory.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
tawny pelt blends into russet as Redd does, indeed, hit her mark, just as Avicus strikes at her other daughter. a short gasp escapes her nostrils as she's pulled back and away, and her face is no doubt pleased at this development.

goodh, she pants, then rears, hoping to knock the fiercer girl off-kilter and shake the weight off her nape.

ohh'er wolvehh' bigger 'hhan you an' me, Avicus explains, writhing snake-like in Redd's grip—and out of it, if she's successful. have'uh be quick an' agile.

get underneath them, if possible. nip and pummel up toward that fleshy underbelly.
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
297 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Despite the fierce opponent that was her mother, Redd knew better than to attack in a way that would bring lasting harm.  When Avicus shook her off she lost her hold and stumbled back, regaining her balance and her stance as swiftly as she could.

She listened, but after a swift glance, her eyes were again on Masquerade.  

She would begin to circle in but would not strike alone.  Their advantage was their numbers, and this practice she knew was solely to improve as a unit.
Pledged
Dragonspine
871 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The impact of Avicus’s muzzle would likely leave a bruise, though Masque scarcely paid it any attention. Their tail switched as they watched their mother’s and sister’s every movement. Avicus shook off Redd rather rapidly, though she was just as quick to praise their efforts.

Despite the triumph, there was much to learn. Masque’s ears pricked as the Wealda emphasized the importance of agility and speed. As she spoke in her distinctive fashion, Redd began to circle her like a shark in chummy waters.

Something about their sister’s predatory behavior reminded the gray Toweard to mention, I found some wild pigs earlier. They were a lot bigger than I expected. Maybe we could practice on them.

Their eyes cut from Redd to Relic and then settled on Avicus, lowering to her feet. Masquerade wanted to make them aware of the opportunity not just for target practice but for a meal, though they would defer to whatever was decided.

899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
her eyes cut to both daughters, then she nods, brusquely, at Masquerade's suggestion.

leadh 'hhe way, she commands, straightening.

with the best luck, the three of them will taste pork today.

and if not, lessons will still have been learned.

last from me!
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
297 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
There was more to learn but it would wait.  Redd gave her sister an affectionate nuzzle to the side and shoulder, both grateful that they had worked with her in this and to verify the spar hadn’t been a harder hit than it appeared.  All seemed well.

She would Masquerade lead and wind her way alongside both of them.  The hunt had its own teachings and many carried over.  To kill a wolf was not so different as to kill a wild pig.  In some ways the hunt could be more dangerous.

In this it would be three on one.  She would follow Wealda’s lead.
Pledged
Dragonspine
871 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Hunting would include many of the same maneuvers and strategies, with a juicy prize at the end if they succeeded. Avicus assented, directing Masquerade to take point. Thrilled that their mother and siblings seemed to approve of their plan, they eagerly pivoted to guide their family to where they’d spotted the drove of pigs rambling on the northern fringes of the rise.