Survival options for an unweaned, played puppy?
ಠ╭╮ಠ
36 Posts
Ooc — Melee
This relates to @Sandpiper, and I'm asking here because I want to make sure our solution is sound and as realistic as possible.

Sandpiper is essentially orphaned and is using Muses as a wet nurse. With Donnelaith burning to the ground, she will likely lose her wet nurse, but her player would like to keep playing her. Because the Nereides enjoy stealing pups, we thought it was a good opportunity to shake things up-- but I am unsure of the logistics, because Meteora is not currently lactating.

I'm wondering what solutions would be considered acceptable in this situation:

- someone brings in a character that could act as a wet nurse, either having recently lost puppies or because Meteora kills their puppies (presumably because they were male)

- a character in game teaches Meteora how to lactate via herbs and other midwifery techniques

If both options are viable, I am curious if there would be any conditions for us to play out to ensure realism.

(Edit: I needed to clarify this question real bad.)
meteora is a non-consent character; see profile for details.
teal dialogue is spoken in greek. black dialogue is spoken in common with a heavy greek accent.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Doe would be happy to help her out; she was the one who helped Muses to become a wetnurse. I mean, not if Sandpiper was stolen from her, but if some kind of trade happened between them / the two packs, she would definitely want Meteora to be able to care for her.

If you were intent on kidnapping, I can't really help with that XD
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
I don't think there's a blanket answer for this but, based on the specific details, here's what I think might work best to allow the player to continue playing their character and respect semi-realism:

I'd think that weaning her early is the safest bet. She's ~3 weeks old and wolf pups can start eating regurgitated meat at ~2 weeks (proper weaning begins at ~5 weeks). *cites her (external) source*

Sandpiper should not be the picture of perfect health. She should have physical and possibly developmental delays due to the early weaning. The severity is up to the player.

Please allow @Rosalyn to weigh in as well.

For general reference: we'll treat similar situations on a case-by-case basis, as our solution will always be dependent on the particulars.
ಠ╭╮ಠ
36 Posts
Ooc — Melee
I'm definitely interested in a trade over stealing, I'm just curious what the rest of the admin team is comfortable with in this type of situation. I didn't realize that Muses learned to wet nurse after Mannoch died; that's good to know!
teal dialogue is spoken in greek. black dialogue is spoken in common with a heavy greek accent.
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Oh goodness, I didn't even realize this was in Help Desk as opposed to Drafting Table.

Sorry admins!
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Anything you guys work out is fine by me!
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
If I bring in an Oreithyia baby, we could assume she'd had pups but would have killed them had they been males, so she'll be able to nurse the little one. It'll take a bit of adjusting for her, to get used to the fact that male pups don't need to die, but...It could be fun :)

And that first kiss coming, let's just freeze the frame
Your eyes were closing, as mine were opening
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
No worries, @Doe. Y'all are welcome to continue discussion here. :)
ಠ╭╮ಠ
36 Posts
Ooc — Melee
Thanks for weighing in, everyone! And thanks for a response on the expected level of realism for this particular situation. ^_^

@Shrike, I would love for an Oreithyia babe to be the wet nurse, and I'm definitely still interested in @Doe teaching Meteora how to nurse, herself. I think between those two and that Piper will be able to eat regurgitated meat, she definitely won't starve despite being sickly. ^^
1,293 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Tactician
Seer
(December 29, 2016, 08:22 PM)Shrike Wrote: If I bring in an Oreithyia baby, we could assume she'd had pups but would have killed them had they been males, so she'll be able to nurse the little one. It'll take a bit of adjusting for her, to get used to the fact that male pups don't need to die, but...It could be fun :)

Distantly screams about baby