Firefly Glen my funny valentine
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
@Hydra, this post makes no sense and i am not sorry.

Normally, she preferred to patrol during daytime. The Wilderness was more ominous in evening; there were too many possibilities, and without a second guard, Ying felt uncomfortable with the idea.

She rose with sunrise and stretched, shaking the sleep from her muscles as she began her first patrol.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Returning home from her trips with @Alya trailing her, Hydra caught sight of the familiar face of Ying. Despite the series of events that had led to Hydra's journeys, the weight of it lifted some at the sight of Ying. Alya sensed it, her interest—for the first time—becoming pointedly intrigued with the subtle change in her sisters state of mind. Between the twins was an imperceptible gesture that allowed Alya to know that before her was friend. Sometimes such lightness of heart came from seeing the enemy. A peace that precluded a terrible violent event to end all violent events that may transpire in the future. 

It earned a tail-wave from her sister. Hydra looked back to her twin, who understood by the look her request that she return home to check on their son. Mother, the three of them. She, Alya, Lyra. Someone had hurt their son. They would pay. Her twin heeded Ying with a chuff that translated roughly as hello, it is good to see you, I will see you some other time, goodbye—while Hydra strode to meet her with a wave of her plume. 

The scent of Ying had become prevalent here; it brought a great warmth to her heart to recognize this, and understand why. She had not been the one to share the news given the need to investigate and learn, as well as educate, those nearest to them that she knew were there. She had presumed Ying to be upon the Coast, but her being here told her that between then and now she had made her way back. Hydra moved to nose Ying's shoulder in a fond and familiar way, choked by her own gratitude and unable to speak herself then and there.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Goodbye! She smiled at the dark she-wolf, watching her walk through careful eyes. Ying's attention soon returned to Hydra, whom she regarded with a polite nod. The show of affection came as a surprise, though she welcomed it; rather than moving away, Ying reached out and mimicked the nudge.

Details of the attack were still unknown, but she didn't need them. Hydra's demeanor was indicative of her hurt. How are you? Ying asked, wondering if her companion might be willing to share. 

While awaiting an answer, the guardian fell back onto her prior path. She turned to Hydra and said, Arcturus tells, no- telled me about the attack. Is everyone okay? Ying didn't know anything about healing wounds, but her ears were open, should Hydra feel inclined to share.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Friend

How long had it been, since Hydra had gained a true one such as this? It felt like years. Hydra had not opened herself up to the notion of it up until recently, thanks to Alya's suggestion... but even then it had not felt entirely right up until now. Ying had opened a door none had been able to so much as touch, removing the cobwebs there with her own return of Hydra's even more rare display of affection. She was able to gather her bearings by the time the question came, setting to join Ying's path.

It was a loaded question; how was she? As well as she could be, truly—the sadness had come to pass, and all that was left in its wake was her (self-perceived) righteous anger. I am alright, she shares, angry. I do not want this to happen ever again. My son was fortunate Dacio had been near, he could have been killed, she remembered, and fell silent for a moment as she thought on all that had transpired that awful day, all I can think is, something must be done. And so I have traveled to those that neighbor me to warn them, and to prepare a call to action, while searching for the wretch who harmed in... Before that, though, there is the task of finding where it is our enemy is based. To root them from that place, to bring them to a permanent end, that must be known so that they could go there to do so. Kill them all, each and every murderer present.

How was she? Hurting, but not immobilized by it. Planning. Hydra looked to Ying and drawled after all of that, I had intended to come to find you after seeing my son; I am glad that you are here, though, so that I might see you sooner to tell you of all of this, and to see her. There was something to be said about the woman who seemed to be a kindred spirit and the peace that came with someone who understood that sometimes, the violence they brought was a necessary evil to rid the world of a more terrifying sort. 

Osiris is healing. Distant and quiet since the attack. Not as young as he once was before all of this, Hydra answered, tone dark and eyes hard as she said this; she paused to regain her composure, sniffing at the earth before pawing at it, scent glands expressing the warning to keep ones distance here before she continued: But the wounds we can see... Lyra, my sister, mends them. Dacio has also been wounded, but he is insistent on the hunt. Healed enough to do this, though, she informed.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Osiris, son of Hydra. He wasn't the only victim named, but seemed to be the most important. The guardian listened to the explanation in its entirety, nodding along to mentions of the tasks already completed. 

Arcturus's description of the assailants had been crude. Could Hydra give more details? You know how they look like? Ying asked. She wondered if any of them had managed to slip by, camoflauged by her own ignorance.

When I comed herecomed here?Arcturus said there are three. I don't see anyone, though. She wondered if it would have been better for the trio to remain near. Then, Moonspear would have been able to enact their vengeance and gain closure without the additional stress.

She paused and looked over each shoulder, ensuring that her testimony remained true. They were alone, accompanied only by the prey animals hidden within the brush. Ying looked to Hydra and examined her for a moment, before turning back toward their path. I am here for how long you want, she explained, and I help you, when you need.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded. I have yet to see these wolves for myself. I have smelled the three Arcturus has spoken with you of, however, and I can also describe their scents to you, which Hydra then began to do, rattling them off one by one... from Caiaphas, to Merrick, to the wraith that trailed them, her scent the freshest on her mind and the same as it ever was, with the addition of something other. As for their appearances, Hydra reminded her of what Arcturus may have shared with her in that same order; Caiaphas, with a pitch-black face and a white body with eyes that might very well match her daughters own yellow; Merrick, with one eye—the color of which she had not been told—and a burnished ruff; the nameless shade, who was recently injured (and she described to Ying how Dacio had done so), who was a wolf with a black coat. The matriarch paused to add, Mal has informed me that wolves have attacked his own subordinates in the same demographic as my son, and as their typical target seems to be. One he described as also injured, a male with black fur and lilac eyes. Perhaps the girl and he are related. I cannot say for certain what her own eyes look like, though, Hydra admitted. But her scent? That was more valuable than the appearance of her.

So many things could change a wolf and their appearance. New scars, new things to add upon their person—she thought of the once Nightwalker, Black Hat—but a scent? That stuck with a wolf. That was one thing that, at its base, did not seem to change. For all of the places Towhee had lived, she still had that one thing upon her scent that made her undeniably Towhee

Hydra huffed. They are difficult to find, it seems. We had not looked too hard in the Winter, our priority surviving the famine. It was too vain a hope to have them die of starvation, I now know, she drawls, tongue rolling over a canine as she then arrives to the point she had long been considering on her journey, I feel it is now up to me to decide what next we must do. Forgiveness is not in my nature, not with this. I cannot let this happen again, and again, and again—until one day I hear someone has died. For what? For waiting, and seeing? No. I know what they are capable of. We must prepare for that, and we then must find them. Kill them, she drawled darkly, declaring with a lifted head in a tone not at all absent of her conviction in the matter: All of us. Together. Not simply for the future of my Wilderness, but for the future of the Wilds. 

Whether the Wilds knew it yet or not, all of their young were at risk for as long as they three—or four, or five, or however many now—remained. 

She looked to Ying then, wondering what she thought of this. Wondering if she agreed, and if she would wish to join her on this journey to bringing an end to the nightmare that was Caiaphas, Merrick, the nameless one. Those that followed them. The sentiment shared was not one missed, and Hydra rumbled, thank you, Ying. Truly, with several more sweeps of her plume. Her actions spoke volumes as to the nature of her character. Hydra had done the same for her own friends in the past, friends who had taken her nature of granted. Demonized it when convenient, to make her a monster in a story of their own design. 

Hydra, though, recognized in Ying herself. Hardened by life, softened, in some measure, by love—a great betrayal would change that, but Hydra knew for certain that it would not be by her. Damn whoever might come to take advantage of Ying! But Hydra could not dwell on that now. May life be kinder to her friend than it had ever been to her, so Ying would not know the true and awful pain of it.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Each description was carefully filed into her memory. She heaved a sigh of relief, having realized that the dark-capped woman was not her sister, but another wolf entirely. Caiaphas's appearance being so closely tied to her reputation was another problem; it meant that until she was taken care of, several of her loved ones would be at risk of unwarranted attacks.

Ying continued listening, nodding her head along to Hydra's words. Attacks such as these, made for no discernible reason, needed to be stopped. Springtime would bring pups, the most vulnerable of their population. Knowing what she knew — three potential pregnancies, one of them her own — prioritizing this mission was an easy decision.

She would continue with her patrols, continue guarding the area until commanded otherwise. Until the threat was located, there was little more that anyone could do. To Hydra's thanks, she chirped a soft note, and continued onward.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra thought of her own pups. Not simply her present ones, but the ones to surely come from the union between she and her mate. Hydra would need to be responsible and take care not to bring anything to their doorstep, and also ensure that her doorstep—and beyond—could be defended, and defended well, while she whelped. 

The matriarch gazed to Ying. I think for now, the right thing to do is to train. To prepare. To further teach self-defense and educate on a smart offense. How has your own recruiting been going? She inquired with genuine interest; for she intended to include Ying within this operation to train, thinking that Ying herself had much to teach that she had learned within her own life.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Assuming their communication had been semi-consistent, she didn't feel the need to mention each potential member by name; some of their recruitment threads were still active, which could complicate things. 

My friend is here. He is very good with fighting, and worthy of trust. Fengmian's arrival had awakened something within Ying, something which she wished had remained dormant. Always so quick to fall...! When I tell...telled him about you, he says he is ready to come and say hello.

It brought a question to her mind, which Ying thought that she ought to ask. Do you remember my request? Bright eyes turned to Hydra's own, though only for a moment. Things would be much less complicated if the answer were No.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's tail waved at the mention of another friend of Ying's, and that he was prepared to meet her, too. That was good, and Hydra prepared to respond when the next question came to be. It took a moment for Hydra to recall, given the differences in the subject; for a moment, her mind sought answers to the question entirely related to what they presently discussed. Two and two did come together though, and when it did Hydra nodded. 

I have. And I have some thoughts on the matter. I have two brothers, though one is entirely opposed to the idea of things being arranged for him when we discussed things in the past, before you and I have even spoken of such things. It sounds as though you have met him. Perhaps you can win him over yourself then, and know you have my approval, Hydra hummed with a little grin, and the other is a strong and solid. A man of not so many words, but good at the heart of him. I have spoken with him on the matter, and he is receptive. He is the littermate of Arcturus, she informed with the wave of her tail. They are quite different, though. As to how, Ying might come to find for herself. With Arcturus, she would leave much to chance; Revui was more than willing to commit to the cause, and to Ying. 

What Hydra wanted most of all, though, was the happiness of each one of them. Her brothers were too important to her for Hydra to propose something that Ying herself may no longer wish for, or desire at all. And Ying, too, had become important to her in a different way.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Your brothers, I know Arcturus and Revui. Each had their own set of important benefits — the former was handsome, charismatic, but the latter was strong — which could easily translate into fatherhood. Ultimately, Ying wasn't looking for anything more than a mate and the children they would give.

She wouldn't pester anymore. Hydra's explanation implied that the decision was hers to make, and so make it she would. Ying's tail began an anxious tick as she thought over both candidates.

When Hua comed, wait- She shook her head and lowered her voice, turning to Hydra with embarrassed eyes, How I say it? She comed, I don't...anyway, when she is here, she might be pregnant now. Her sister's potential carrying of whelps made the idea of a challenge significantly less attractive. 

Though they be illegitimate and irresponsibly conceived, the whelps which might live would be her children by proxy. Her nieces and nephews — was their health worth the glory? I ask, you think it is better to wait until after they come? To move forward, to move her.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
*runs in here* cameo... IM SORRY

As she made her way for Moonspear, the gentle hum of voices catches her attention. Familiar ones, at that. One voice of a black panther, the other of a silver drop of moonlight- two whom she knew to be accquantinces at least, if not friends. Her eyes narrow slightly with suspicion- she had not known Ying was so close. Without having heard anything, she's already curious- so she searches for a minute or two, finding a patch of Moonspear scent and unceremoniously rolling in it. Once she feels confident her seabrine smell is covered, she returns, making sure to stay out of sight and just off the edge of the glen, aided by the dimness of the rising sun. Finding a patch of ferns and bushes, she lays down behind it- unable to see the couple, but with perked ears, awaiting whatever more conversation may transpire.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra continued moving, listening to Ying's review of her brothers. So she had met them both; that was good. The matriarch thought Revui to be a better match, but Ying must find this out for herself. Arcturus would surely tell her of his wishes to remain upon Moonspear as he had all but expressed to Hydra. He had been offended by the very idea of expanding their claim if it meant he had to leave to do so; Hydra imagined him as permanent a fixture upon the place as she herself, and the landmarks that made it. Hydra quite liked Ying, though; perhaps, selfishly she hoped, Arcturus might sway her to their settlement if that was so. 

Revui, though, she envisioned more than helpful in the forging of what Ying and herself alike desired. 

Ying went on then, shifting to her sister now. The change in topic caused Hydra to listen with interest, though the furs along her nape began to prickle. There were many eyes upon Moonspear that might have fallen upon them then, and one could not fully regard themselves as a mother until they became used to the unsettling undivided attention a child could suddenly bestow upon you as you became their target... not when they did it so often, anyway. @Antares in particular quite enjoyed that. Therefore it was not at all Ying's sister the matriarch suspected near, even though she discussed her impending arrival. 

It was typically always impossible to discern up until the moment he, or his siblings, revealed himself where exactly they were. That familiar feeling had come and not gone as Hydra moved along. Even still she was not absolutely certain; sometimes, that creeping feeling came upon her for no reason at all (so she thought; sometimes, young though they were, her children could find success as their prowess grew). If there was one thing she did know, though, it was how to lull them forth from hiding if she really wished to. 

There was an amused grin upon her features she could not truly hide at the thought of her young watching them then. Many a time as a girl, she had stalked her mother and father with her sisters... sometimes, when feeling particularly bold, by herself. Hydra had also liked to lurk and overhear their political conversations, though she never hid her face for that. Perhaps they did not think themselves welcome to hear such talks? Hydra had never known them interested, though they were growing older. She imagined that Dragomir might benefit from hearing such talks, and being a part of them... though he himself had never prowled after her to overhear or catch her unawares. 

Her mind remained upon Antares. So much like her with his curiosity! 

But who knew if she was even right about such things. Looking to Ying Hydra started lowly, in a low voice for her ears alone to hear, one of my children might be watching, perhaps, she revealed. It was clear she was unbothered by the notion, and used to it, too; and in the next beat Hydra answered aloud Ying as though she had whispered not a thing at all, and pressed forward at a quicker pace... so practiced was she in doing this with her mate to trick her cubs out of hiding, reckless with their imagined success where perhaps they might become too bold: your sister is returning to Moonspear? Pregnant, potentially, too... which Hydra had suspected might come to be, giving the others admittance to her. Before getting to what Hydra thought, she wondered this while her gaze pointedly held fast to a spot she knew was good to utilize as a point in which to launch a surprise attack on her ideally unsuspecting child, When can we expect her? I do look forward to meeting her under better circumstances, and Hydra looked to Ying then, the words spoken in earnest. Hydra found that she could not answer Ying then and there without knowing who her sister was, truly. Hydra thought she was a fool for coming as she had, but the then-empress—to her knowledge—had followed her instruction to leave, and respect her enough to interact with none of her own in the interim. Of the male variety, specifically. 

For that, Hydra would give her another chance... which she felt Ying might appreciate. Before then, though, Hydra could not fairly judge. She did not know her. It seemed like Ying had come to the conclusion though that she would, which Hydra would trust if that was what she meant. It was Ying's family, after all, and she would know best on how to rule it... and when to, also. 

Hydra herself then forged forward to move toward a tree with a low-lying bough. Too obvious that, but there was a better tree just beyond it with a broad trunk that the matriarch looked to. Surprise attack, was her idea, but to keep things moving and as though there was nothing awry, Hydra drawled: I expect soon I will know whether or not I will become a mother again. What would you prefer, if you could choose? Sons, or daughters...? and just before Ying could answer, Hydra huffed: that is strange. Come, look at this... 

Before she slipped behind the tree and settled expertly into a crouch, utterly silent as she looked to Ying with a wicked little grin. If one, or more, of her unwitting children fell for this... they could execute a surprise attack. Of course there was also the chance that she was wrong, but the thrill of the idea of pummeling one of her children with Ying superceded that they might not be tricked by her this day. It was a trick she had not yet utilized with them, but knew that nothing tempted them quite like something strange. Her children understand well her brand of fun. A little rough, but always out of love. 

And anyway, if it were Antares, like she suspected, she figured he would make it known sooner rather than later in the business of learning, which was typically his priority. One way or the other, he would learn. Hydra was quiet, listening for any indication of another approaching... only suspecting her own cubs, for now.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Hm? The unnamed wolf could have continued without acknowledgement; Ying hadn't noticed them there until hearing Hydra's warning. She matched the woman's smile and nodded, deciding not to say anything else on the topic.

Their conversation continued, though she regretted her inability to answer. Hua hadn't mentioned anything about travel plans, but Ying had a feeling that the Empress would soon depart once more.

Looking around, she replied, Sometime soon. It probably bothers her, the last meeting. Ying followed in Hydra's footsteps, coming to investigate the mundane scene. If I can choose, then boys — a careful glance in each direction, eyes peeled for a dark child — because they are fighters.

She winked and awaited Hydra's signal, keeping her muscles charged for whatever the woman had planned.