Neverwinter Forest do not let me down
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
backdated to before ros/ez/hua/ying thread!

Mal was to thank for her recognizing the scent. Mal had exposed himself and made himself vulnerable to their vengeance. The Ostrega knew she should inform him, and so, accompanied by @Alya Hydra did just that, though only after speaking with her mate and brothers on the topic. Whatever their misgivings be on a personal basis, this was far, far bigger than that. Mal had shown himself to Hydra to not be an unreasonable man in any case, and given none of his wolves had hunted upon the Glen and the famine seemed to be over with Hydra felt their bygones were just that. 

She arrived after investigating the glen; recent snowfall disallowed anything new to be deduced, and nor did her trail come up again along the paths they utilized. Hydra would delve deeper into that on the return journey, though they still had plenty of miles to go. The Nightwalkers were next on the list, Neverwinter was simply closer in proximity... and Mal more at risk himself. Hydra kept a respectable distance from the borders, Alya further still, as she loosed a howl to call for him. Once the sound faded, she peered into the woodland and sniffed the air. No trace of the shade, so it seemed.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
With everything that had happened, Mal didn't have a chance to go out and find out that a familiar scent had returned. He'd stuck close to home, and likely would for a little longer -- other more important things with new dangers had come to his attention. He needed to figure out a new plan once he was sure Cupid and Caerus weren't suddenly going to have someone chasing after them. 

Pause. Wait, there were two of them? He took a moment, eyes flicking between them for a second just to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. Whatever. He assumed the one closest was Hydra. Did she come here with some information about the ones that he'd came to them about. He suddenly wished he'd been able to keep looking. Oh well. Maybe she had some additional questions or something since he hadn't been able to speak to her directly. Still, he gave her one of his now-classic smiles. So what's brought you to my woods today? Would be nice if it was good news, but he figured if she had bothered to come this far with a clone of hers, he suspected not.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He fortunately did not delay. Hydra heeded Alya only with her ears, but in the backdrop her sister was preoccupied with the investigation. It was in part to keep Neverwinter safe, and additionally for the information that could be gained: had the wretch been here, or had she not? 

Nothing good, I am afraid, Hydra admits in a rumble. One of the wolves with the seawitch has returned. The she-wolf. She attacked my son; my subordinate defended him in the Glen. She, or they, may be near, she forewarned; and then, for the secondary reason she had come: I want to do something about it. For as long as they remain, I believe they will hunt those who they think cannot defend themselves. Hydra awaited to see if he might have some interest in joining that cause at least, in any capacity. Newborns were often so well taken care of they could not be known; Hydra had no idea if he had any such innocents... she did not intend to invade to find out.

But the same could not be said of their mutual adversary. They had proven capable of the most unsavory things.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Of course it wasn't good news. Was anything ever good news? Seemed like never. He frowned, Great. So now there could be three of them -- up to five if we add in the other two psychos that came with that girl before? I already told my wolves to go in pairs when possible, I'll remind them. Not right now, of course, that would be silly. Perhaps once the meeting was done so there'd be no random addendum. Hope yours heal fast. Now I'm wondering if all these attacks were somehow coordinated. If when we find that chick we'll find the other guys that attacked my members. Assuming the message had been passed on, it probably would make less sense if not. Look, it was too coincidental to discount the idea entirely, even if the reality in the end would prove they weren't related.

Hadn't known she was back. Since I got back I haven't had a chance to head back out to investigate for any of them. Between Cupid and Clover, he was firmly staying put for... How long? Basically until he was sure nobody was gonna cause trouble. He was a little cagey about it, more because he didn't feel like he should have to give up his personal life here where it wasn't important -- this was all business, after all, And I don't think I can go for.. a little while longer at least. Otherwise I'd go out scouting for them myself. And then, since threads aren't done and force other vagueness about who is available, Have you spoken to Ying? I liked her idea of her army helping all of us. It may be easier to coordinate if either or both of us have to attend things at home.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's ear twitched as he spoke of more than just who she had been aware of. Hydra would clarify that point later, if that is what he thought she had meant... or perhaps he was seeking to inform her there was more. In any case, as he spoke on imagining they were related Hydra found herself nodding. She thought so too now. If they had not known each other before, by now they certainly would in their journeying together. Unfortunately it seemed they had survived Winter.

The thought that there might be more of them would make sense. Perhaps they had brought together more wolves as sick as they were. Perhaps there was even a pack of them now. Did not like call to like? Oh, he had said his own members had been attacked. No, as she remembered it, she had heard of this... though only secondhandedly. It would be better to hear it from the source, and Mal was source enough given he had delivered the news in the first place. 

Hydra herself could investigate for a while, with Alya too, and she knew her other subordinates would do what they could along with her. He brought up Ying, whom Hydra had thought of but had not yet seen or sought yet individually. Presumably she was still working things out with her sister upon the Coast, though she did intend on finding her. I will be, she informed firstly. She thought again to his own incident and asked, would you mind going into detail about what had happened with your wolves? They were attacked, she repeated. The devil was in the details, though, and Hydra was not one to miss those whereas others might be. As for his other point of needing to remain here, Hydra nodded. I am sure you know already to be on alert... given that they know where you live. Traveling in pairs is wise, Hydra hummed agreeably, and though she felt it went without saying it felt wrong not to. She cared enough  It was all they could really ask of their members when outside the territory. Not heeding it would be a mistake on their subordinates part, but it could not really be forced. 

For now, though, she would be scouting. I will be continuing to search the Wilderness for now, and some of the coast. If I see anything, I or another of Moonspear will let you know when we are able, she expressed. Beyond that, though, it was not good timing. Hydra felt sure she would soon know whether or not the seed of her mate had come to quicken, and once that day had come she would need to put on pause her own search.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
See, it would have been much easier if he'd been able to speak to her directly. Or not, considering the timing of that thread, but it wasn't like Mal had been aware of that. It might have been funny from a writer's perspective, though. Only one I have a physical description of: black, purple eyes, and he got pretty messed up when one of mine fought him off. Hopefully he's dead, but if not, I'd hope he'd be pretty easy to spot. The other I didn't get a description of -- he freaked out my packmate too much for that -- but he wasn't interested in killing the kid seemed like, but uh... Pause. How did he explain what happened to Phillip? Phillip himself hadn't said anything to confirm, and saying it to a stranger felt weird. It messed him up more mentally than anything. He should go find Phillip, find out how he was doing. It had been a while since Mal had crossed paths with him, but he'd been busy, so that didn't seem too odd right now.

But both attacks were unprovoked and on near-yearlings and occurred more to the east. One in the dead forest, another at the lake beyond. I don't know if either attacker came back since the attacks. Once I'm able to leave again I'm planning to continue informing packs. I'll be able to see if they're still lingering then, I think -- I know all their scents at least. He had a thought then, Of the original three, I do wonder how much they remember or know about either of our scents. Of my pack, I think I'm the only one who would recognize theirs here at this point. I don't know how much attention they were actually paying when they came through my territory before. Would they recognize yours or were you always the one on their trail? It might effect recon, after all. Mal enjoyed just being able to trade on information instead of getting into the fray, but it would make it hard if suddenly he might become the hunted.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to everything shared in a respectful, and interested silence so that all could be shared without interruption where it was not necessary. Hydra thought on the second attacker; she wondered if he was not killed due to outside intervention, or something else. If something else, what might it be? It all seemed too related to be separate. All wolves of the same sort. All who ought to die. Were they one and the same, or different? Hydra took note of the direction and considered traveling that way at some point. Of course they were done upon near-yearlings, of course unprovoked. A dark look passed over her features, easy enough for him to read: these are the wolves they have always selected. With the exception of the mercenary, their targets were young wolves they likely believed they could take advantage of. 

Hydra wished Osiris might have proven them wrong, but the shade had been able to take advantage of her own position and he had been too trusting, surely, to think she might attack. Nevermind the warning of ones mother when life had been nothing but kind to them. Hydra understood this was the way that they must learn—the hard way, the painful way—though felt no better for it. 

She answered his thought with further news she was sure he might not be thrilled to hear. From what I have heard of the eldest of their trio, she is one to hold a grudge. I am sure she remembers, and has instructed them to remember for her own work to continue. I do not doubt that if they were to return and did recognize it, something might be done out of spite. Sooner, later—I am not sure. As far as Moonspear goes, they had no reason in the past to think on our involvement or our tracking of them. Now they might, given the girl from then attacked my son, but for that alone. Still, she was wounded herself in the ensuing scuffle. Perhaps she thinks nothing of it. Or perhaps any of them will come to seek vengeance for her. I assume the latter, if only to be prepared for it. Best not to be caught off-guard, she drawled. With a flick of her ear, Hydra huffed, half-playful: it would be too easy for any of us to know where they are settled so that we might simply deal with it now. As it was, she had much work to do to find out. Nothing could ever be easy, but that was fine with her at the end of the day; Hydra knew full well that all good things came with time. 

As far as what Hydra wanted to do about it? When they are found, Hydra hummed, I am of the mind that our intervention is necessary. I think that they will only continue to attack those, given that they have shown us now that they are, that they think cannot fend for themselves—and it is only a matter of time before they succeed in bringing one of that number to an early end. I do not know when that day might be, but I do wonder if you would fight for that cause when it arrives if you are able. A way to unify their own front, and themselves too, with the destruction of their common enemy. Mal seemed scrappy enough to be interested in doing something for those he cared for; he was bold, and brave, and she wondered if there was a bite behind his bark. 

Hydra could not help but hope there might be, for the good of Neverwinter and for the Wilderness, too. The more that they talked, the more she found she did not dislike him as wholeheartedly as she imagined she would. It was only thanks to the opinion of her own family she maintained some reservations, but in this she saw the opportunity for them all to show their true colors to one another. 

not sure as of yet if hydra would have been told about stara having purple eyes herself so just, vague w the similarity there!!!
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He listened then nodded. It did kind of put a bit of a wrench in his plans -- Mal had hoped to carry favor by providing knowledge they might otherwise not have... But he wasn't about to go risk his own hide unnecessarily. He had other more important things to think about. Namely that he said he'd be around to help with Caerus, not to mention his older packmates. He kept his thoughts about that to himself.

A brief grin, I'd say my education has trended more towards hunting than fighting if you expect me to keep step with you folk. Which was true enough. Self-taught but survived, and not really ashamed of it. Mal just operated a very different pack than Moonspear, which he was thankful for. And though he was the sort who would happily hunt for information too, what she had just said made it sound like that was not a good idea -- her wolves might have a better chance. But I agree. I'm long tired of having to deal with people messing with my wolves. it's gotten old and it needs to be stopped. And Moonspear wasn't innocent of it either, but he trusted that Dirge had investigated that -- and honestly wasn't too keen on poking the bear if they were suddenly going to behave. But I'm not the only one who might be interested, especially if we find that black guy. That would bring Kratos out -- and maybe Zephyr too -- no question. I'll find out who might want to come.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There are similarities there. It is a good baseline, at least. Better than something not at all geared toward the physical, she encouraged in a way that, truly, came from a good place. She meant it too; he was not simply at square one. As a hunter, he ideally understood how to deflect, or else avoid, a blow prey could sometimes (more often than not, really) dole out. Although Hydra would not have minded him digging for information, at the end of all of that she hoped to include his teeth in the punch that they all packed as a united front. 

There seemed to be more interested. Those listed must be his fighters; not many, but more than just him. Every fang counted as far as the matriarch was concerned. If they could bite and were unafraid of the fray, she wanted them to be a part of the trios (read: and their perhaps expanded gangs...) demise. 

I intend to warn as many as I am able. I would like to think that no one wants the children within the ranks, their own or otherwise, to come to harm. I think that this is one fight that all could stand to join, if it meant the removal of these sorts of wolves. Mal would not be alone; perhaps some might join the fight that had less skill than he. What mattered to Hydra in all of this was their willingness to learn, to try, to protect... in the name of keeping those that could not do so for themselves as safe as plausible. At least not brought to an end by a group of happy sadists. Nature was one thing, but this defied it; this was broken. 

And if what was broken could not be fixed, it was time to get rid of it.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
But based on all his past experiences with Moonspear wolves, he was internally hesitant to figure out what weight to give her words. Perhaps it was good, perhaps it was more of an "oh you pitiful thing, you tried" kind of comment. It would take more than a few words to make him trust anyone from that pack. Time helped. Not getting glowered at helped too. 

I'll keep an ear out. And maybe make my own inquiries, depending on how much time passes. If Ying keeps patrolling around nearby, I'll pass what I know on to her. If she isn't, I'll see if I can find one of yours that likes me, he said wryly. Look, if that kid was gonna stay bent out of shape about Mal defending his territory and food, he was likely an enormous hypocrite. He also assumed his sister was much the same way -- she was weird the previous times they'd met as well. Anyway, back on topic. Hopefully when they're found, everyone will be ready. And honestly he wasn't sure if there was much more to say than that. At least not that he thought she'd be interested in. He sort of had the feeling that his pack was rather like an anthill in her eyes, so she might not even really care to know anything other than Mal was willing to assist.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded to Mal, and did not miss his words in reference to one of hers that liked him. If not for those words, spoken in so mocking a fashion (perhaps he had meant to be playful, which she considered... still it did not sit well), she might have been inclined to think some things to have been exaggerated. Mal had seemed a decent fellow enough, willing to help... This did not change that, but it certainly allowed her to see what they had that day existed. She did not dignify that with a response; Hydra had heard all about the encounter, but naturally would defend her own in that. Whatever the semantics were, what Hydra did know on that matter was this: Mal had been a man on his own then, taking residence in the Forest. He sought to claim it, but one wolf by their lonesome in a time of famine hardly seemed credible. He had himself to feed, and she had an entire pack, children—two of which he had squabbled with that day. Mal continued to be miserable about it all, which Hydra noted. 

A wolf that liked him among Moonspear? Well, no one disliked him that ever knew of him (she assumed, in any case); if they remembered him at all, it must be for his arrogance, which he touted even now. He had left a terrible aftertaste, to be sure, but he nourished. And... impossibly... he amused her. Her eyes seemed to brighten, but she said no more on the matter. What was the use? She would leave the beating of a dead horse to him. Her energies were put to far more productive things. 

His hopes were heard, and Hydra nodded agreeably, quiet still. If Mal needed help in the preparing, she imagined he or one of his might let her know so. But as he had not brought it up, Hydra would not undermine his authority neither to suggest nor ask, not wanting to bruise the ego she imagined might be there and damage the tenuous bridge they had only just truly begun to build. In his own time, in his own words, perhaps. We must prepare so that we are, she hummed, hoping to plant some sort of seed. Would his mind take to it, or would it simply hear what was said? How might I prepare my wolves?, she willed him to think! Even if only the ones that wished to fight! I thank you for your time, Mal, and your joining of this cause. If you have need for me, you know where I can be found. And likely his nose had figured out the only reason she had not come when called that one day. 

Hydra would wait to see if he had any rejoinders or inquiries before she departed his company.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He would always joke, he would expect that everyone would underestimate him, if not write him off entirely. Why bother? It wasn't so much arrogance as it was just knowing that Moonspear wolves seemed to be utterly grim things, and get them a little pissy and experience said they didn't exactly forgive. And if they had a single sense of humor among them was questionable. But in the end, it wasn't his problem to deal with.

He knew what he had to do and he'd do what he needed. He bobbed his head. Yep, he knew. He'd pretty much affirmed all that already, right? That was pretty much it.  A pause, And Vallkyrie had wanted me say hi to you for her, by the way. Technically that was back when he'd visited the first time but eh. Whatever. Wasn't like that message was going to get delivered right so he hadn't tried. But other than that, he suspected she'd be heading off, so he'd give her another obviously-so-charming smile and wait for her depart before heading off on his own.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Vallkyrie. That was a name she remembered, and Hydra had thought the familiar scent might be hers. That she was here was quite interesting; it seemed much too... informal a place, though she supposed the she-wolf was simply adaptable. Her tail swayed as she thought of the she-wolf who had sought a place in her ranks, a polite and astute woman. Hydra supposed she might not be home given she had not answered the howl with Mal, or else she would have said it herself. 

Maybe on her return journey home she could reunite with the she-wolf, but she did feel time was of the essence in warning her allies of what had transpired in the Wilderness. If it is not too much trouble, please tell her I say hello, and that I hope she is well, Hydra said in turn, and on that note the matriarch nodded to him and turned to head to the Nightwalkers, Alya suddenly at her hip. 

last from me <3