the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
backdated! before mira goes missing.

Knowing all that she knew, Hydra also had every desire to keep her bases covered. If the Saints were caught lurking or heading toward the Wilderness, Hydra wanted to know. The same with Ursus. And perhaps even before they could arrive, they could be dealt with. It was good to know that all were on the same page as she in this matter, and she would doubt the sanity of any who was not. She was not a woman of inaction, and nor was she a woman who desired to leave things to chance. 

Too much wiggle-room, there. Hydra, at the end of this all, wanted no survivors in her enemies party. 

Having informed @Dirge of her quick trip, Hydra brought with her @Alya. Fortunately, they ran into no trouble along the way... and had the good fortune of coming across this territory along the way. Warmth, even despite the cold drizzle that fell, surrounded her... and Hydra was tempted to take advantage of this place. Perhaps on the way home, she determined with a passing look to her sister. They had an important matter to discuss... so first, to find @Ira.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
responding like Alya is there too but if she doesn't join ill just :eye: keeping vague on YL updates since thread is ongoing

Ira was pleased with her trip to Yuelong. Hua remained true to the colors she had shown in their drive to move the saints and the Count was content with officially calling them an ally. Their island was unique, a strange place to make a home but one with many benefits. While she brought home an ally though, she also carried the updated news of the wilds. What a headache, if only the Saints had moved farther away. She would need to speak with her Council before proceeding any further, but chances were they would be in agreement. Something must be done.

The Count sighed, eager to reach the borders of home as she crossed through the springs. A light drizzle rained from above, the drops that hit the ground only adding to the steam that rose from the warm earth. Glancing to the distance, two figures stood out like shadows amongst the haze. Ira squinted, slowing her pace as she traveled closer. It wasn't any set of shadows, they were identical. Well, this was quite the change, I never knew the Queen left her mountain. Compared to the last time they met, these were neutral grounds. There was no need to submit, but it would be smart to not try and attempt dominance even with her land just on the other side of the river, so instead, Ira remained neutral.

She'd keep her head raised as she did when properly addressing others though her stance was relaxed. Moonspear never left their mountain, even when she was in Easthollow they rarely visited and the two that did were related to Valette. So why were they here now? For a moment, her mind flashed to @Speedy who was only a river away from those she used to call family. Had Hydra finally sought her out? What brings you so far from home, Hydra? She might as well be straightforward, Gods knew the Queen would be.  It was better than listing the possibilities.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Fortune smiled upon her. 

In the distance was a vaguely familiar cut of a wolf; the scent of her, though, was undeniable at its base. It was nice to not need to travel beyond this so that she could return home all the sooner, but then the fact that this was the territory that she might speak with Ira... well, how could one complain? Alya quietly acknowledged the presence of Ira, though a noise in the distance called to her attention. Mutely the two communicated, and Alya set off in the direction of it. Hydra would know if there were trouble nearby this way. 

Moving to meet the woman halfway, Hydra slowed to a halt when there was a comfortable space between them. The scent of Ira's second was not yet picked up upon, as the scent of the coast was far more overpowering. More than that, Hydra thought Speedy was dead—it was not a scent she sought... as of yet, the matriarch had not caught wind of her. 

Business, she drawled, though it seems with that I may have found pleasure along the way, she remarked, gaze turning from Ira to the hotsprings all around them. Her attention was still solely for Ira, though; Hydra saw her there in the side of her eye, and even when her head turned one ear remained cupped toward the woman. Do you come here often? she asked with interest, moving nearer to one hot spring to inspect it while still keeping a healthy distance. She was uncertain as of yet if these were geisers—the sort that could eviscerate you upon eruption. 

A lovely place to bring an enemy for a stroll, if such was the case. But if not, well, it certainly was as good a place as any to discuss business.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
One of the figures left leaving the Count and Queen. She wasn't sure who had traveled with the head of Moonspear, but Ira knew enough to know it was either Alya or Lyra. The remaining wolf wasted no time in closing the distance between them as soon both came to a halt.

"Business"

The one-word response was spoken with laze. Had it been any other tone it likely would have set her on edge, but it almost seemed as if Hydra knew not of her little secret. Though even if the Queen did not know of her involvement, that did not strike out the possibility that she had traveled this way in search of her friend. Occasionally. Ira's own response was cut short as she allowed her own gaze to travel to the surrounding springs.

She too was not one to leave her territory often, but occasionally she would seek out the springs. Speedy had informed her of their soothing benefits after she injured her leg around a year ago. This territory borders my own. Gold would shift to watch the other woman's expression. Would she know of Kaistleoki? Two from Moonspear had passed by in the summer months, though it seemed they were visiting any pack they crossed. I lay claim to the land just beyond the river.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Osiris had told her of the whereabouts of Kaistleoki, and her sharp gaze turned then to Ira. There was no trace of malevolence in it, and she breathed, I had heard as much—you met my son, Osiris, and Desdemona as well, she recollected, sure Ira would remember them both. It had not been too long ago. She finished, succinct as ever: my business is with you. It has been some time, she hummed, moving around the hot spring and listening for any sounds of disruption within the water. 

There was nothing yet, but it did not rule out her suspicion as of now that it was not a geiser. 

An ear flicked as her nostrils flared, the scent of the coast brought to her from Ira's recent travels. I spoke with Hūa; it would appear we each have a common enemy, came her low voice. Not imagining Ira would have several of the sort here, but wondering too if they might have more than one—did Ira know of Ursus?—she awaited the womans reaction, gaze lingering on Ira's features for a long moment before turning again to the hot spring.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Yes, I remember. Osiris informed me of your new rank, though I am sure it's no longer new to you. As the queen had stated, it had been quite some time. It was almost a surprise that the woman even remembered her, though she had remembered Hydra and there were far more faces for her to keep track of than for the Moonspear wolves.

Golden eyes follow the black shadow as she moved almost as if she was warry or perhaps she was just being careful. After all, Ira was the one who had more of an advantage, though she would not have sent away her sister if she was worried about Ira calling for backup. It was not likely that she was the cause, in fact, it was highly likely that she was overthinking the whole situation due to her knowledge of Speedy.

Then she spoke. A wave of relief washed over her, though it be temporary. This was not in regards to her members. Huā, perhaps a nickname for Huāzhēn, the name was too foreign to be a coincidence. Ira was aware that the sea wolves had many allies, that was evident enough during their encounter with the Saints, though she had not expected their threat to reach as far as the mountain range across the stretch of land.

The Count couldn't help but raise a brow before Hyrda's gaze moved to the springs. The Saints trouble you? Honestly, she wasn't sure what was more surprising. The fact that somehow their name had spread across the entirety of the Teekons or the fact that Moonspear was troubled by the presence of another pack.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded. By now, the matriarch was well used to the weight of her crown—though she had always worn it well. And Ira too had guessed quickly as to who she had spoken of, but then Hydra had known she would. Ira had never seemed slow to the matriarch. That she had idled with Korei Julia for a time... well, the two of them both were a victim of circumstance, to be saddled which such company in their lifetime. And look at them now. 

Far better off without her. 

Not yet, she breathed, but why leave it to chance? As of then, she had not the slightest idea that Valour ran with them—all that she knew was that they were a problem. And problems required solutions. She had a rather simple one: kill them. If there were any redeemable ones among them, let them bring her the head or the body of her purple-eyed enemy. If they had not the gumption to kill her, Hydra would gladly do it. That was not so much to ask for, was it? Simple, really.

Settling on her haunches to at last test the waters with a paw, she found the temperature more than tolerable. Delight crossed her features, pleasantly surprised... before she looked to Ira again. What do you know of war? She asked, curious.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The count waited patiently as Hydra weighed her words. A simple huff, that akin to a moment of laugher was breathed out as Hydra claimed to air on the side of caution. She didn't blame the Queen, in fact, she'd rather have the Saints delt with too, but given the circumstances, Kaistleoki was no prepared to take on that task alone. As such, she's left them be to deal with more pressing matters. Hydra was right about one thing though, letting the Saints become a problem would be much worse down the line.

Any blood spilled would be on her paws for not dealing with the issue sooner, and frankly, Ira had more than her fair share of blood already dirting her paws. Then we are in agreeance. Kaistleoki was fortunate enough to see neither head nor tail of those self-proclaimed savages since they had chased them off, but that would not last for long. They had bothered Yuelong with few to their numbers, who knew what havoc they would wreck once they had built an army of loyal soldiers.

Ira watched as the dark shadow reached into the pools of the geyser, seemingly pleased by the water before asking her question. For a moment, the Count's mind flashed back to the distant memories of a mountain range too far away. A family that was never hers and the blood of many spilled on the ground before her until those that opposed her existence feared or respected her. She no longer looked at Hydra, she saw through her, I know far too much. Blinking back to the present, golden orbs sought to lock with blue, You're planning one.

There was no question in her words, for she could already tell what the Queen's answer would be. The evidence was in the way Hydra spoke and she allied with Hua who allied the wilds. Is that why she had sought her out? To fight in an army? Would her council approve their involvement? Two packs were already enough to ensure their victory against one small and widely hated pack. Though knowing Hydra, she wanted to be more than sure of a victory, she wanted to eradicate them. After all, why leave it to chance? 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra watched Ira, curious when her gaze turned distant. And when she returned to the matriarch, she shifted her weight. Would you tell me, of your experience with it? She inquired, interest true. And, as to the womans statement, Hydra gave no pause before she rumbled in confirmation. Subduing would not be enough. All that Hydra had heard of Donovan was more than enough for Hydra to know the sort of being that he was.

In knowing all that they have done, I know all that he will do—and all that they might. And it is not simply the Saints, she drawled, for at the time the band was allied with Ursus, there is another pack that they have aligned with of similar mind and make. They are indiscriminate in who they bring harm to—though they prefer those they know cannot fend well for themselves. The young, she rumbled, disgust clear in her voice.

Osiris had been harmed by one of theirs—and Hydra would never forgive the woman who dare lay a fang upon her family, at least not until the wretch was nothing more than bones for her future litter to sharpen their teeth with. Generations upon generations of her family would mar and dig their teeth upon those bones. The purple-eyed shade would become nothing more than her kins chew toy.

Hydra continued, this is something that goes beyond the Wilderness, Ira. This is something that goes beyond here and now. Our children, and our childrens children, should not live in fear. They are killers, and that is what they will seek to do. Now, later—that is their nature. And the only way to end this is to speak in a language they will surely understand, she drawled. Hydra looked to Ira, grim—she knew the language in which Hydra spoke of. It was one the matriarch herself was fluent in, and unfortunately for their enemies it was the one she herself spoke best of all: violence.

A terrifying thing, given her eloquence.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
"Would you tell me, of your experience with it?"

Truthfully what was there to say about war that wasn't already common knowledge. There was no glory in taking a life, only pain. War is a result of hate, indifference, but more importantly the need to take action to make a change where words could not. No one wins, there is only one who loses less. My experience? What is there to tell that is not violence and bloodshed? If I am to be more personable, then I admit, once I carried a title equal to that of a war general. I learned that everything has its price. Make sure what you are getting is worth what you will have to pay. She was aware Hydra was smart, but that did not make her immune to mistakes. Even if she had all the power of the wilds, it was best to keep one's head on their shoulders. Get too cocky and you will be face to face with your demise, or worse, the death of loved ones.

The Count fell silent as Hydra continued. She too knew what could come about if the Saints were left unchecked, though this is now the second time she's heard of them holding an alliance...or used to at least. Hua had filled her in on recent news of the Saints. Supposedly a spy had given her some information they likely wouldn't want to get out. They had no allies, no one to back them up should it come to clashing fangs. You speak of Ursus? The name was still unfamiliar to her, but the more she learned the more they appeared to be more of a threat than the band of self-proclaimed savages they had chased away back in spring.

I know little of them, but the more I hear the more my levels of concern rise. I think you'll be pleased to know though, that they no longer ally themselves with the Saints of the Dying Light. Hua had a spy who informed her of their alliance crumbling. Though they were not allied, that still left the new issue of Ursus. From what she had heard, they laid close to her family in Easthollow. They seemed to be less aware of the dangers stirring past the mountain range, but all too familiar with those that declared themselves neighbors.

I am not a woman who seeks the blood of others, but make no mistake I will do what I must to ensure my family's safety. I am not against a permanent solution, but this does not involve solely myself. I have children to raise, a pack to guide, and this concerns their lives as well. I need to know that they will be ready to fight should the need arise. What kind of leader would she be should she not put the wants of her people first. She could not drag them into a war when many sought peaceful lives. Peace came at a price though, and she knew it only lasted so long without interference. She would have to discuss with her council and vet their opinions.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to Ira, and considered. I have been thinking much about that, she drawled. Wolves die in wars. But wolves have been dying, been abducted, tortured... all without one. Children, too, she breathed, and those that we have lost... those that we stand to lose if we do nothing—they are all worth fighting for. Dying for, she thought aloud. And Hydra meant it. She would put her life on the line and die for this if it meant her families future was safer for it. But she would not go out alone. She would drag several with her to the Hell she was meant for. 

That does please me, she acknowledged with a hum. Good. Saints, by themselves—Ursus, by themselves. Praimfaya had anticipated that end. One seemed to need the other. 

And as for the rest of what Ira said, Hydra thought a moment. It is enough to know that you, a once war general, would join me in this cause. You need not involve the pacifists of your pack. I would not ask them to fight. Simply to be prepared to defend. With or without a war, that would be best—lest the wolves of Ursus or the Saints find them. But perhaps, she drawled, we could create something of an army here. I would like to command it, and fight within it, she expressed, but perhaps some of the Wilds best can be convinced to join us in this joint venture, when push does come to shove, she thought aloud, looking to Ira for her own thoughts on this. What might she think?
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The Queen's response was fair. There were already dues in this fight, punishments they would face if they chose the passive path. The Saints won't stop, perhaps Ursus too, though they seemed to be a low priority with all things considered. The only way to ensure that there were no unjust deaths down the road, was to eradicate them while they were still weak. I can not speak for those who would fight, but Kaistleoki is not a pack for those who wait. We take action when needed, I am sure we could have more to offer than just myself.

Still, she would speak to the council. If a group was already forming to take action, then risking her own life may be foolish. Ira was no longer alone in this world, and her children already had one less parental figure than most. She would not make an orphan out of them as her father had. Gather your allies then. I will find you again. We can discuss an alliance from there. The Count was intrigued by who might join the cause. Surely Yuelong, but aside from them and Easthollow, she was unsure who Hydra allied with. Easthollow seemed too kind for war and too distanced to even know of their troubles.

At least so she hoped. Her time spent in Easthollow had been, for the most part, peaceful and quiet. A content life as she sat upon the borders, maybe boring to some, but there were no worries. Generations of wolves lived in that valley, and she hoped with many more to come. They were passive wolves, yet the other side of the mountains led to very different lands. There was turbulence with every pack she had met with, even those from the mountains beyond and the ocean's sand. Taking a step back, the Count glanced to the trees beyond her river, her home. This is not a fight I wish to see, but you've made a good argument. If the Saints will not leave these lands, then it is up to us to remove them. Until we meet again, Hydra...

Ira waited a moment longer, though if nothing else were to be added then she would turn to leave and finally return home.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra sighed. The truth is, she admits, it is not a fight I wish to see, either. I worry, though. I have seen this before, and inaction has led to things only more terrible. She considered for a moment, before determining, I will not begrudge you, if you and yours do not wish to fight. I am glad that you consider it at all, for the greater good of those within the Wilds, she breathes. It spoke much to Ira's character, and Hydra found her respect for the woman had not been without reason. 

She watched Ira go, and lingered a while longer until her sister returned to her side. She and Alya both, then, gave themselves the time to experience the hot springs; not something that flayed them, but a pleasure to experience. Should she and Ira break bread again, so to speak... perhaps it could be here where they could mix both business and pleasure. Some said it ought not to be mixed, but all work and no play... well, it made for a dull livelihood.