Haunted Wood she was an orphan but raised by a cousin, who gave her the time
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
Leaving the wood to return home, Hydra sought the same wolf the Redhawk woman was. Nose to the earth to seek any indication of recent violence, she caught the trail of something that snared her attention. Vaguely familiar, Hydra cleared her nose with a snort to further investigate the smell. While it was no one she knew, the scent belonging to one not yet a yearling if her nose was to be trusted... instinct dictate she investigate. 

Hydra moved silently, drawing nearer and nearer to who the scent belonged to. She would sate her own curiosity, if nothing else, and then be on her way.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
98 Posts
Ooc — Noki
She had spent a few days back home, back in the misty woods where she had once called the group of violent vagabonds family. Whatever was left was an empty husk of her memories, but it was more than what she had before to hold onto - which was nothing. Nothing at all. Unfamiliar scents littered the woods, stirring up a territorial feeling, that whenever she would encounter these individuals... she would make sure they left one way or another. 

One of which scents apparently sought her out. A sense of unease crept up on the not-yet-yearling, a looming sense of desire to take what was rightfully hers and yet... unsure of how to do it in any other way than violence, the one thing she knew. Like a prowling beast, she wandered the mist, making sure her scent mixed with her homelands as much as possible - until brilliant flame rubies falling onto a dark figure in the mist, halting her in her footsteps to study the long-lost-friend of her fallen father. Immediately gold-tipped hackles rose, a deep growl warning the stranger of her presence.
[Image: zaR4vWK.gif]
The desire to conquer is itself a sort of subjection.
New Threads: closed
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra came forward from the mist, acknowledging the low growl with a twitch of her notched ear. She paused for a moment, to look the other over with keen interest apparent. It was her scent that Hydra had noted, here there and everywhere within this place. But there was more familiarity than that, and Hydra looked to the others features to seek just why that was. Her gaze drifted to the others feet—as large as a man she had once known, and who was long since dead. 

Her gaze flit back to the girls face. She wished to have her suspicions confirmed, and was not one to waste her own time. If she was wrong, there was no reason to linger. Correct me, if I am wrong, she started. There were several differences between the girl and the man, too. Her cleanliness for one, and the absence of the stench of rot. The red furs, too—an entire contrast from Vengeance's darker hues. Where Conquest was fire, Vengeance was ash. You are the daughter of Vengeance, she guessed, giving the girl room to state the contrary.
98 Posts
Ooc — Noki
The aggression wasn't returned, and so, Conquest simply stood her ground for now. Too young to be sure of her own actions just yet, lacking the guidance for any knowledge on how to interact, she was going on pure instinct and it was telling her to wait for now... to not engage with a possible more experienced individual unless necessary. And right now, the opposing, darker, woman, was as calm as a storm brewing in the distance.

She spoke, and Conquest's eyes narrowed. Her features not yet relaxing, not until the mention of her father's name came around into the air. The mere mention of him nearly soothed the beast, something familiar - was she familiar too? Snorting to clear her nostrils and the air in her lungs, the young woman's hackles smoothed over along her back as she cautiously gave the black woman another once over... 

I am. She breathed. One of them at least. Who is asking?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The girl seemed to settle, and Hydra took some odd steps closer while still keeping a respectable distance between them. Though her thoughts felt confirmed from that alone, Conquest went on to admit as much for her to hear too. Shifting her weight, Hydra inspected the girl further. Saw shadows of him within her, though perhaps it was her own imagination and the mist combined. Vengeance had been a man of his word to her. An ally, she trusted, that were he alive would fight with her to this day. And so, for him, she would ensure his daughter became a great woman. One she herself would be proud of. 

I am Hydra Ostrega, Queen of this Wilderness and of Moonspear. Your father was an ally of mine, she drawled lowly. He had been a friend, beyond that. Her gaze did not leave Conquest, but her ears heeded their surroundings. You are alone, she had observed—her scent was the strongest here, and mingled with no others that dictated their own residency here along with her. Winter was coming, and Conquest was young enough to fall victim to it should she remain that way. 

Contemplative for a moment, Hydra seemed to have arrived to some conclusion. She spoke again, I can see you mean to follow in your fathers footsteps. I would like to see to it that you do, she hummed, eyes flashing. Can you tell me what it means, to be a leader? She asked, wondering what lessons the wilds have taught the daughter of Vengeance.
98 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Though Conquest had calmed a little, a flash of warning returned as the woman took a step further. Too close for Conquest's liking. Teeth snapped as she demanded the distance still, but nothing else came from it other than that, a simple warning that she was not quite ready to trust just yet. She wanted to know more, after all, more of her father, more of their relationship. Who was this woman to him? Who was she to her now?

Her curiosity alone kept her feet firmly planted on the ground for now.

Intrigued, ears pivoted to attention as they caught Hydra's words. Ally of her father's? As far as she knew, her father had few allies, even fewer now after his death as most seemed to turn from him after he perished. She never understood why, why they would follow only to turn so easily. Yes. This time her voice was smooth, warm like embers on a dying flame, flickering, just waiting to be fed.

Alone, it was what she was most familiar with.

Hydra spoke again, and thirsty for what was brought to the table, Conquest took her own step forward. Hesitant, slow, but she was clearly drawn. A shiver of pure anticipation ran down her spine, prickling her skin in waves. I wish to succeed where my father failed, that is all I know. Alone, there were little interactions with leaders that she could properly answer Hydra about what it meant to be a leader. She was willing to learn... To bring back the Rache legacy and learn from Vengeance's mistakes.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was pleased to see Conquest had a sense of self-preservation; she wondered how her young might act, in this same scenario, and could only hope that they would behave as Conquest did then. Not bothered by the display (understanding the reasoning behind it), Hydra loosed a yawn to show that at least then and there, Hydra posed no threat at all. Where Conquest was on edge, Hydra was at ease in the moment. Despite her presently cool disposition, Hydra was still guarded herself. She knew better than to blindly trust, herself—what Conquest had then was not yet that. Hydra simply provided the ruddy cub the benefit of the doubt. Young though Conquest was, she still had teeth.

Interest won out, as curiosity typically could—Conquest came closer herself. Her answer meant that there was much for her to learn. Huffing out a warm breath from her nostrils, Hydra asked next, and where do you think he failed? What sort of girl was the daughter of Vengeance? Hydra felt certain that her answer here would provide an indication as to what sort of woman Hydra might help her to become.
98 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Whether Conquest knew it or not, Hydra was good. Really good in fact at defusing a moment. Every word, every action, every tone used by the nightshade woman spoke to the flame's basic instincts. 

Another question and this time... the Rache child thought. Piecing together how to explain what she had accumulated during her short time conscious, remembering the rumors being passed around and whispers in the wind. Before speaking the child's eyes wandered the woods as if it held the knowledge she sought, thinking that maybe, looking among them would hold her memories. 

In a way it did. He ruled through fear and intimidation. For that, he was hated. To the point where a mere child, one of the many he was training had turned to use her teachings against him. It was shameful, but from what Conquest knew, it was no ordinary child. One taught by all members of the pack to hone in on her abilities; and he trusted their fear would keep them from turning.

Tell me about him? She grew softer, just enough to eye the woman with a pleading glance. She wanted to know more, more from someone who respected him instead of the toxic words spoken among his once followers.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to Conquest, intrigued by this side of Vengeance. While she knew him plenty, there were certainly aspects she was not privvy to. She had not been his subordinate, after all. Fear and intimidation do have its place, she drawled, knowing that to keep order one must trust the promise of consequence, which was a close relative to fear in the scheme of things, but one should not use these as their way of leadership, by and by. To earn respect is the best way, and that comes with hard work and time. I will show you how to do so, she continued, looking Conquest over. Mintaka was gone, but in her stead came the flamekissed daughter of Vengeance. Potential Hydra would not see wasted. 

She nodded. I shall, she determined. I would like for you to come home with me. Winter comes, and she is ruthless, she began, thoughtful. This was by no means a charity case. Hydra would see that Conquest would accomplish what Vengeance had wished to, and rightly. All while expanding her own grip upon the Wilderness, as Vengeance had agreed to do. Conquest, though, somehow seemed wiser. Hydra preferred working with women, truth be told—and for Vengeance, Hydra would be sure to see Conquest grow into one of the finest, right alongside her own savage daughters.

You can right the wrongs put upon your fathers name, be them falsehood or truth—and learn from me, if you wish, how to lead. And then, as your father had, you can claim the Woods and become a part of the coalition I build to protect this Wilderness, expanding my own claim, she offered. And I will share all I know with you of your father. He may have been hated, but never by me, she had not believed Valour when he spoke of things she imagined to be rumor. If Vengeance had done all of that, Hydra imagined at least one of them she might have heard. 

But even if he had, it did nothing to speak ill of the dead. And Conquest... well, she seemed the right wolf to still the tongues of those who might.
98 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Hydra was wise, Conquest could tell immediately. If she truly was close to her father, she would be a valuable asset to have by her side. She nodded along as Hydra spoke, soaking in everything she was teaching even now. Like a sponge, she was thirsty for anything, any lesson, to grow and be nourished somehow more so than just food and water. She was starved for more.

Perhaps a mother, a father, a family the most. Something more than the bleak darkness which is all she had known than the brief time she had spent bickering with her siblings to survive when they were but whelps. Will you? She questioned it simply out of disbelief that this woman even considered teaching her anything further after this. For once, she felt hopeful. 

There was an air of apprehension at the mention of leaving with Hydra, away from the Haunted Woods that she had spent so long searching for. Flame licked eyes wandered the mist around them, knowing very well she would miss this. Again, her time here was so brief... she was already fighting anyone who dared walk through it, putting in the effort to take it - it was a hard pill to swallow. Eventually, those same eyes found their way back to the smaller, and yet larger than life wolf in front of her. With a shaky breath and a nod to steady her nerves, Okay. She accepted that for now, she would have to move on from the woods and claim it later.

Again the woman spoke, inspiring the little flame to become more than just an orphan trying to find her way back home. Her gaze hard with determination, she found her voice and a certain pride once again. I will not let either of you down. Either as in Vengeance, and Hydra. From here on out, she would step into the massive prints left behind by her father and build on what he had left behind; and his partnership with Hydra would be seen as nothing less than a gift left to her, by him.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Fading <3

Hydra responded with a nod; so long as Conquest was willing to acclimate and adjust, and learn too, the matriarch would teach. The matriarch, real or imagined, saw wisdom within the youth that she hoped to foster, and to build. Whether or not Vengeance would do the same for her own child made all of the difference to the matriarch. Hydra felt that were she the one to have passed on, he too would take any found cub of hers under his wing to turn them into something she could, and would have been, proud of. And with all of the evils in this world Hydra knew present... Hydra would teach Conquest how to conquer those, too. 

The girls affirmation was heard and nodded; had Hydra believed that she would, she would not have as much plans as she was beginning to. Conquest had plenty of untapped potential, and Hydra would live to see it brought to light. And so, with this in mind, Hydra began to lead the way home.