Character Approval Feedback?
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
Let me preface this by saying I do not have a character currently waiting on approval, I'm just curious. Is there a reason that there is no feedback given when a character is denied? It seems counter-intuitive and like it would create more work for the CM team since people end up submitting their characters several times. I could see not wanting to have full blown conversations about what's wrong with a character, but I don't see the logic behind making the player figure out what, exactly, is preventing their character from being accepted on their own. Just looking for some understanding here, thank you in advance!
10055/50000 (10055/50000)
22 Posts
Ooc — suledin
not a cm but i think it's to keep people from arguing the reason or skipping reading the guidebook? but i feel like people who are inclined to argue are rare & will do so anyway via forum (plus maybe they couldn't if it was made part of the automated wolf message or smth?), and for the latter i think a good fix would be to refer them to the rule rather than outline it (e.g. "please revisit wolf's rules on character appearances")

edit: oops, forgot to add i do support the idea of feedback along the lines i mentioned. it would make things so much easier for people like me who are just scatterbrained/forgetful/bad at math and miss details occasionally LMAO. i once spent an hour trying to get a character approved only to realize my birth date math was off
Note; Astrid is non-verbal and primarily communicates through body language.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
I feel like we've all been hit by the "bad birth date math" monster.

Small things like this can be a waste of effort for both sides. It can be super deflating to be excited about a character and then get a "NOPE" stamp with no direction, and I'm sure CMs don't enjoy hitting the NOPE button, lol
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
Here is what the Denial PM says:
Quote: Unfortunately, there is a problem with your profile and/or prompts and your application has not been approved. Make sure you've:

— Completed all required information in your profile (and that none of the content violates our policies!).
— Completed the "relations" field, if your character is being born in-game.
— Completed your roleplay prompts in your profile.
— Treated your prompts as if they were posts by other players.
— Reviewed your prompt responses and profile for breaches of the Guidebook policies.
— Used proper spelling and grammar in profile and prompts.
— Checked the math on your character’s age and birthdate.

If you feel you have done all of the above, you may contact the Community Managers. But please note that we do not offer personalized feedback, as we expect applicants to be able to pass our application process on their own. :)

Every denied profile hits one of those criterion mentioned above. (Exception: the time I hit deny by accident instead of approve - fat fingers!) It’s the player’s responsibility to read and understand the Guidebook, and read/check off the points in the PM above if they’ve been denied.

If players read the Guidebook, and create a character that fits in the Guidebook’s rules, they won’t be denied.

All of this is answerable in the Guidebook. The application process serves as the final litmus test that the player is suitable for this game. Giving personalized feedback would totally negate the process and would be similar to a teacher preemptively handing out the answers to a test when they’re trying to gauge their student’s comprehensive understanding of the subject.

If this is in regard to a recent application, that character was missing a birthdate/age (specified in the Denial PM), had a mane, and was a color specifically pointed out in the guidebook as not permissible.
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
devour the stars
243 Posts
Ooc — Gina
(November 04, 2020, 01:58 PM)Arcturus Wrote: Here is what the Denial PM says:
Quote: Unfortunately, there is a problem with your profile and/or prompts and your application has not been approved. Make sure you've:

— Completed all required information in your profile (and that none of the content violates our policies!).
— Completed the "relations" field, if your character is being born in-game.
— Completed your roleplay prompts in your profile.
— Treated your prompts as if they were posts by other players.
— Reviewed your prompt responses and profile for breaches of the Guidebook policies.
— Used proper spelling and grammar in profile and prompts.
— Checked the math on your character’s age and birthdate.

If you feel you have done all of the above, you may contact the Community Managers. But please note that we do not offer personalized feedback, as we expect applicants to be able to pass our application process on their own. :)

Every denied profile hits one of those criterion mentioned above. (Exception: the time I hit deny by accident instead of approve - fat fingers!) It’s the player’s responsibility to read and understand the Guidebook, and read/check off the points in the PM above if they’ve been denied.

If players read the Guidebook, and create a character that fits in the Guidebook’s rules, they won’t be denied.

All of this is answerable in the Guidebook. The application process serves as the final litmus test that the player is suitable for this game. Giving personalized feedback would totally negate the process and would be similar to a teacher preemptively handing out the answers to a test when they’re trying to gauge their student’s comprehensive understanding of the subject.

If this is in regard to a recent application, that character was missing a birthdate/age (specified in the Denial PM), had a mane, and was a color specifically pointed out in the guidebook as not permissible.

Nope, not in regards to any recent application, just something I've been contemplating as I might bring in another character.

This does clear up quite a bit - I didn't realize it was being used as a way to "test" someone, more or less. This brings another question about for me, however. Is there a point where a character is ddeenied so many times that it gets permanently denied?
10055/50000 (10055/50000)
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
(November 04, 2020, 02:05 PM)Stjornuati Wrote: This does clear up quite a bit - I didn't realize it was being used as a way to "test" someone, more or less. This brings another question about for me, however. Is there a point where a character is ddeenied so many times that it gets permanently denied?

Not for currently approved players bringing in a new character, no. There is a hard limit for non-approved (new players) who fail the prompts and that is 3 revisions. Passing the prompts is probably the most important thing, since they are there to test a player's ability to not godmode/powerplay and understand and embody the rules.

If it is something minor like the math being slightly off from birthdate to age but everything else is good, I will send a PM if I see it and have the time. Some of you have definitely gotten poked by me about that (I am guilty of being mad at math also so I get it).

We wrote the Denial PM to give people as much clues to triple-check their application as possible without outright giving the answers away, since the Application process is designed to weed out unsuitable players from the game (Unsuitable meaning: powerplayers, godmoders, inability to play by rules, etc).
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away