Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
Pack Activity 
hunting thread! participation greatly encouraged! maybe four days for rounds? <3 lmk if that doesnt work! @Bartholomew @Thresher @Miseria @Kacia @Blueberry

the forest of bleeding sequoia was still quiet when the wolves of sweetharbor found their way to the woodland. a pair of caribou had retreated here, perhaps bolstered by the silence of this place. a soft snow rippled through the air, bringing their breath to plume.
heda ranged ahead. the saltwater at her brows and withers had begun to crystallize, shimmering as she swung her head to and fro, searching out scents. "one of them is injured," the young wolf muttered, and motioned that they follow.
the broad great trunks thinned to a tiny clearing half-choked with brush. it was not an optimal place for a hunt. but it was where the pair had bedded down.
in caribou both sexes kept their antlers. the female was only slightly smaller, but the male was visibly injured, snorting with pain as he hobbled in a semi-circle.
"okay, uhum. some of us need to go one direction, and some of us — go the other." killing it. "but first, i need to know who can run and who will help jump the stag. i'm going to run, to bring the cow away. i need at least two other runners because we need to keep her pinned long enough to wound him. so whoever doesn't run has — a guess a heavier job." wow. amazing.
she felt cold as she stood there, waiting for someone to speak.
99 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Blended in with the pack, Thresher followed the pale huntress, nose to the ground as she went. Her ears flicked forward, attentive for instruction, and she nodded and moved as she was guided. She was eager to hunt and feast upon something large and warm; seafood was delicious, but sometimes nothing could really beat something fresh, warm, and from the land. Grass-fed, the caribou would be excellent food for them. 

Thresher listened, brimming with anticipation. The would target the injured one, but the other might put up a fight, and would need to be drawn away. Both of them had long, curved antlers that would have a terrible reach, if they should lash out. When roles were proposed, Thresher knew which role she would prefer- but she felt it might be best if she weighed the skills of those around her. All were medium in sized, and the majority of them were slim. None among them were brawn and brute strength. All of them seemed more suited to the chase, rather than the tangle of bringing down the prey and she assumed that among them all, she and Bartholomew might be the eldest. As such, she assumed they might have had more experience hunting large game than the others. 

"I will go for the stag," She said, and gave Heda a smile and bob of her head, grateful that she had taken up the role of leading the chasers who would keep the female away. Then, she waited to hear who might be on her team.
486 Posts
Ooc —
Missionary
hunting lands they had once been barred from.

heda led it and he could not be prouder, more grateful. if her plan was not refined, he did not notice. for he had never been much of a hunter. but for heda?

his gut clenched softly.

thresher would tag the stag. bartholomew could not imagine himself taking such a role! yet he was uncertain if he wished to place anybody else upon it. even those that he might think as fitted for it he fretted over.

i can follow thresher and the stag.

he declared, a bit awkward but still warm!
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
It was amazing that, for all her time spent on land relative to her short stint on the island, here again on the mainland she felt like a fish out of water. 

It disconcerted her in the moment, but was soothing overall; she belonged out at sea, even among the zealots that called the isle their home. 

For her part, Blueberry would watch, wait, and heed orders. Heda seemed like she was well in control. 

Oh, except they were choosing their own roles. Coooool.

I, um, guess I can run, she piped up, ears flattening a bit, face unsure. I'm not very strong, but I'm fast enough. And I can be a distraction.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
starting next round! @Bartholomew @Thresher @Blueberry, jump in whenever @Miseria & @Kacia <3

two of them for the stag. heda nodded. "that's good." she wanted to warn them all to be careful, but she felt it went unsaid. "blueberry, awesome. we'll run."
that left the other two she-wolves; she thought miseria should come with she and the white wolf, graciously allowing kacia to join bartholomew.
something tightened in her belly. heda focused on the hunt. 
"come on," she said lightly to blueberry. she squared her shoulders. the clearing was small enough to where there was little room or need to corral the pair.
they would go directly. she shut her eyes hard and then opened them with resolution.
heda glanced to her left and to her right, and then she began the charge, veering toward the cow who still lay comfortably upon the ground. it occurred to her that they could kill them both, but heda felt that the greed was not from god. if he spoke, then they would have each.
for now she focused on keeping the cow down, leaping in to rip tufts of fur from the animal's haunch. the cow bellowed and stabbed her antlers toward the young hunter.
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
skipping since this is older and wanna move along!

She stuck to Heda's side, taking advantage of the more experienced hunter's position. She was wispy, ghost-like—and then the time came to move.

Blueberry summoned all her courage and charged along with Heda, taking the other side.

Between the two of them, she thought they could keep the cow pinned?

She nipped insistently at its ribs, dodging hooves here and there, her heart thundering high and fast in her throat. She could die. But the thrill of it all brought her life.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
wrapping! <3

they hunted, they raced, they felled.
sweetharbor feasted.
heda gave thanks.