Noctisardor Bypass expectorate the snakes and water down the whiskey
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Birth 
Unlike her dream—well, her nightmare—childbirth was not painless. It was agonizing, exhausting and went on for so long, Druid didn’t know if she was going to survive it. When her labor finally came to an end in the middle of the night, she collapsed in @Heda’s arms, depleted and insensate.

The sound of two songbirds arguing outside the den door woke her not long after daybreak. Her whole body ached, particularly her nethers, and she felt like someone had scooped out her insides. Groggy and groaning, Druid began to sit up before it all came back to her in a rush: she’d given birth!

The new mother dropped back to the den floor with a little gasp, mismatched eyes blinking away sleep’s fogginess to take her first look at her children.

If you’re interested in playing one of the puppies, all you need to do is register an account and post a reply to this thread. Please note that since there’s a limited number of slots, it’s first come, first serve: only the first 4 pups to post will be viable. This opportunity will close on Friday, March 20, or when 4 puppies post—whichever comes first!
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Butternut
20 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The first of Druid's whelps slithered into life and made no protest as she was freed from the birth sac and cleaned of fluid. Silent and much littler than the rest to come, any knowledgeable midwife might assume the babe to be a lifeless one.

Stimulation of her tiny body at last prompted a response, however, and from her came a weakened cry.
Rivenwood
Butternut
10 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Of the children nestled at Druid's flank, Goldfinch was wholly unremarkable except for one thing: she looked nothing like either of her parents. Her coat was for now a dark sandy tone, and over the coming weeks it would lighten. Maybe one day she would question her own lack of resemblance to her parents.

Today she knew nothing of it, and she slept.
Typically accompanied by a male American goldfinch.
Rivenwood
NPC
Burnt Puptato
5 Posts
Ooc — Kitt
After being thrust from the warmth he had come to know as home for weeks, Artio had found himself among scents and smells he did not know, or understand, and tastes of the world around him. Strangely, he did not feel fear—though, he was no longer sheltered within the womb, he felt a comfort among the bodies he was nestled between. 

Some day, he would come to know of the world around him. But today—and for weeks following—he would suckle life giving liquids offered to him, wiggle and roll, coo and squeak at everything and anything. His sooty, burnt potato body felt large and unbelievably round, his energy sapping quickly to move it. So, he would rest among the softness he would come to know as his family.
“A bear does not fear his strength, but knows the power lies within him.”
[Image: artio.png]
Rivenwood
NPC
2 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
And she came last, like a late flower of spring, slipping delayed from her mother with a wild cry. Not soft as a daisy, or lily of the field, but like a rose, wrapped up in soft down and armed with hidden thistles.

And then, she was quiet -- mostly so. Soft gurgling spilled from her lips as she worked her way to suckle alongside her sisters and brother, shoving at those who got in her way with the thrust of a paw.

Last, but not least. A warrior had to have her fill.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
There were four of them. Druid counted them twice to be certain, her sleepy eyes widening. No wonder her pregnancy had been so difficult, she mused as she nosed at them in wonder. She’d been carrying four children: a son and three daughters.

She took a closer look at each in turn, beginning with a little girl with sooty fur and white marks; before moving onto a surprisingly towheaded babe; and then nudging an equally unremarkable daughter. Finally, she inspected the single boy, easily the largest of the litter.

Wow, was all she could think to say.

Druid stared at them for a very long time before remembering they were not alone in the den. She raised her two-toned eyes in search of her sister, who might very well be asleep. They’d both had a very long night.

WOO, BABIES! Consider the post order open.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
"wow, druid," was all heda could breathe as she held her sister after it had all finished.
in truth, being a participant in a birth was not the same as witnessing that of another; the miracle of life had transfixed the pregnant widow, and as druid's body contorted and writhed, each child had been received with a similar gasp and laugh by the red-nape.
first, a tiny girl, so little that heda was instinctively worried until she began to breathe and move. second, a darkfurred girl, striking against the flank of her mother. next, a boy overlaid by shadows of stone, and lastly, another girl hinting at gold. 
all beautiful, all perfect. she kissed small toes and adjusted little bodies and felt herself glow with the perfection of motherhood, and so close she was to this dream and to her own that she imagined, perhaps, if one day she might wake to something like this. a woman cradling children, a devoted husband beside her.
would god grant her another chance?
"you did so well, druid. ill stay all night." anselm could take her patrols for all heda cared; her world consisted of her daughters, their cousins, and her sister.
Rivenwood
Butternut
20 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
She was handled so very gently by the Den Mothers present, but the tiniest girl did not appreciate the pokes and nudges she received. Blind, defenseless and having been forcibly thrust into a whole new existence, she was understandably fearful.

Both exhausted and anxious, the bird-boned newborn was quiet and still in her hope that she would be left well alone.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Outside the den he stayed. Even further from it. That he could bsrely hear any noises. As such if he were needed Heda would need to come outside or yell.

Most women didn't like anyone on the dens when birthing and he respected that. But he was here for his skillset and thus he did as told.

He waited there and when he was certain all was okay. He got up from his shadowy spot and slid back to where he spent most of his days.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Druid met Heda’s words of praise with a fleeting smile. The hard part was over, wasn’t it? Well, she knew child-rearing wouldn’t be easy but that horrid pregnancy and the delivery were things of the past. And the children were here, all four of them!

After a few more minutes of marveling, Druid had no choice but to depart the den momentarily to heed nature’s call. She passed much more than urine, much to her discomfort (and horror, honestly). She tried to put it out of her mind as she went back inside and curved her sore, empty body around the newborns.

She felt like she was in a state of shock as she just kept staring at them. Druid figured she was beyond exhausted. Even though she’d just woken not long ago, she decided to catch some more sleep, knowing Heda would keep watch. She lowered her head to the cool floor and closed her eyes, trying to think of names as she drifted off to sleep.

I wasn’t sure if anyone else wanted to post again, so I figured I’d wrap this! I’ll leave it open for a few more days before archiving. :)