Swiftcurrent Creek Ten years of this, I'm not sure if anybody understands
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,406 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Private 
Set before the last Rev/Lestan thread in Rev's timeline @Jakoul <3
Reverie knew from Lestan that one of the women among them was expecting. She did not know who it was, but she knew most of the women in the pack, so it came down to a process of elimination. The gilded girl had spent the last hour gathering some of the few herbs she was able to find in the snow; the kind that would encourage milk production, and something to calm the soon-to-be-mother without negatively affecting her children.
Reverie was no midwife; that was her father's specialty, secondary to his training as a combat medic. But she knew a few tricks.
So she picked out the unfamiliar scent among the others and followed it, carrying her gifts with a distinct edge of timidity to her gait. She'd never seen a pregnant woman. Part of her was nervous; uncertain what to expect. Suppose the woman chased her away? She'd heard of pregnancy hormones before! But she was determined to be helpful, so she stayed the course and prepared for a very nerve-wracking interaction.
Watching me is like watching a fire take your eyes from you
THIS WHOLE WORLD IS ENDING, A NEW ONE BEGINS
326 Posts
Ooc — siv
She was sick and tired.

Literally. Exhaustion had gripped her firmly by the face and she likely looked a mess. Sunken features somehow found it in them to sink more. Her distended sides made odd on her snake-like figure.

She wished them out each and every day.

The thoughts ceased when visitors came. She welcomed them each day out of an odd place of loneliness. This unfamiliar one was welcomed too!

A tired chuff of welcoming and two pale eyes filled with a yearning curiosity.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,406 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Oh... oh wow. Reverie could only stop and stare with wide eyes for a moment. She was distantly grateful for the welcome she received, but at first her full attention was dedicated to only one thing:
Pregnancy
was
horrific.
The woman's dark sides were so swollen it looked painful. Her aura was dimmed; she practically radiated exhaustion. Reverie's heart ached for her. I - hello, Her greeting was soft and full of tenderness, but muffled by the herbs. She stepped closer to drop them near her. I brought - herbs! These will help with - feeding your children. She indicated one type. And this will help with um, anxiety. Then the other.
Concern surged into her expression and forced out her next words: Do you have a midwife? Probably not. Arric had said there were no healers here. But she didn't want to assume, either.
326 Posts
Ooc — siv
She thought of Maegi in the paleness, in the arrival of herbs.

Perhaps she had become too hormonal, too emotional. Nearly instantly endeared by the thoughts of someone who had been. No one would fill that hole ever again, not even the things that fussed inside her, but she might try.

Try and try and try to fill that still aching hole in her heart.

She sniffed softly over the exposed things. The thought of how it all worked was over her head. Which meant it was good that somebody with knowledge had come to tell her but, ah —

Midwife?

She blinked with a gentle look of shame. She did not know this word!
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,406 Posts
Ooc — xynien
The woman questioned her, and Reverie understood that she would have to explain. Oh! Um! A healer who specializes in - pregnancy and childbirth. My father was one, She explained a little shyly. I was never really into that, but I learned a little. They're usually not necessary, but sometimes... well, it's good to have one just in case!
Reverie knew better than to say it, but she implied it as much as she dared. Things can go wrong. It would do no good to fill the soon-to-be-mother's head with worries, but to a certain extent it was necessary to acknowledge the reality of it. Better safe than sorry, always; especially with such delicate matters.
326 Posts
Ooc — siv
She had no one to fill this space.

Yet she had come to realize, through this one's words, that she should. Just...in case!

You midwife. For me? Jakoul did not wish to waste the chance, but nor would she force the woman to take over for the sudden care of her last few days. Her ungodly sleep schedule and the grand discomfort of her sides.

They had to come out soon.

She eyed the herbs brought for anxiety.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,406 Posts
Ooc — xynien
For my own reference and Ebony's (@Lestan I'm so sorry for all the tags): I'm going to make a small edit to Rev's latest posts since no one else has referenced anything yet, and say that she's been checking on Jakoul regularly since this thread, I did edit the threadlog date but it was just to put things in order so timeline is v fluid
Reverie had been about to offer — but she didn't need to. Her eyes widened slightly at the sudden weight of it all. Children. Responsibility. Did she want this?
Yes, of course! She stepped forward with tail swishing and ducked her head to brush her muzzle affectionately against the woman's. It was a little bold for a first meeting, but if she was to care for her through this, they would see much more intimate sides of one another before this was done. I'll visit you every day, I promise. But try to call for me when it's time if you can, okay?
Reverie stepped back to assess the woman with a healer's eye now. For now, let's try to make you more comfortable. Are you in pain? Nauseated?
They hadn't even exchanged names.
326 Posts
Ooc — siv
The woman stepped close to brush muzzles.

Jakoul offered a soft nibbling of teeth through the short fur of her chin. A silent thank you as her tail tiredly thumped across the fox-fur floor.

She was in no place to be a recluse anymore. Life would soon burst from her and she knew she must have support. Otherwise she would likely...spiral. Perhaps. Maybe she still would, who knew?

A nodded head, the sign of an understanding patient. One who silently soaked in this new bond and all the things that might come with it.

As for symptoms? She grinned but it seemed more like a grimace. Yes. She heaved out the word. Both! Everything! Her pregnancy was not a beautiful glow but a long suffering.

What take?
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,406 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Yes. Reverie could only smile at that answer even as she blushed under the returned touch, a gentle and sympathetic smile that said she understood. She didn't, not really. She herself had never experienced pregnancy, of course. But she had trained from a young age to be a healer, and had long since mastered the expression of a kind and helpful doctor. Sympathy was part of the job.
That wasn't her job anymore, but right now it was. In this moment, it felt natural. Not much, She admitted, smile fading. There isn't a lot that won't hurt the pups, or make labor more difficult for you. But this should help - Reverie gestured to the herbs for anxiety. And I'll find you something for the nausea. You'll want that one just before and after eating.
I'm Reverie, by the way, She added a little shyly. Her gaze caught on the silver of the woman's eyes and the breath stilled in her throat for a moment. Like Everett. Your eyes are very pretty.

So she would treat the woman for what symptoms she could, and leave her with the promise that she would return. Reverie could keep this promise, she thought. For Jakoul.