Sun Mote Copse say you'll stay with me tonight
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Moonspear was not a good place to be in the light of Hydra's upcoming season. Charon had always been terrible with seasons -- Althaia and Potema slumbering proof of that -- but to see his own daughter in season was a whole new kind of confusing. Then, still influenced by the scents in his nostrils and the desire to further his lineage he'd fought with Amekaze and that made it all the better for him to depart the mountain a while.

And where else to go? As he approached the copse and Dhole's scent met him he remembered that this was hers. He'd managed to avoid confrontation with her so far, and he dearly hoped that he wouldn't find her at the borders today. Despite the risks -- running into Dhole or Wraen instead -- he tipped his nose and howled for @Maia, then waited at the borders. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, to seek her out now that his nose was still filled with the confusion of Hydra's scent, but he didn't know where else to go. Potema was gone, his friends were gone. But Maia was here. He waited, feeling oddly anxious and restless, as the sun started to set while the last of the birds chirped their spring songs.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Fortunately for both Maia and Charon, she'd already passed her first heat, safe and sound in only her sister's company.  Her only real preoccupiment lately was with trades. She'd started to feel a little self conscious, not having one, but still had yet to actually go through the avenues of starting.  What if she wasn't any good?

Charon's call was a very, very welcome distraction from a boring and extremely distracted hunt, so the instant she heard it, she took off in that direction.

Hi!! she yelled as she got closer, coming to a skidding stop in the leaves.  Playing hooky from your kingdom to see me?!
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Maia sure was a sight for sore eyes. The anxiety that he may run into ghosts of his past rather than his friend quickly dissipated as he saw her cheerfully heading his way. His stomach twisted as he watched her come closer. Something was different. This feeling was familiar, for it had happened to him once before in his life, but it also felt weird and very much wrong, all things considered. His mouth was dry as he watched her approach, feeling strange in good and bad ways and everything in between.

Rather than showing any of those feelings he tucked them away and grinned as Maia approached. Something like that. Nothing like that, really. Charon let out a strained breath as he recalled the argument with Amekaze. The stars aligned in all the wrong ways. He shouldn't have come here. It was a mistake. Hydra's heat, the fight with Amekaze -- this was the last place he should've come. But if it was, then why was everything in his body screaming that this was exactly the right place to be?

He scraped his throat, suddenly feeling awkward. He hated it. Charon didn't remember the last time he'd felt as on edge as this. I want to show you something. Being in the copse did not feel right. Neutral lands was where they belonged, where their friendship felt free.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She caught an edge of something off of him as she walked up and he responded, but as usual she passed it off as nothing.  Whatever he had going on, it didn't matter now because they were going to hang out and that was cool indeed.

Okay!  I can play hooky for a while too, she responded, definitely eager.  It had been a bit quiet for her lately, mostly hanging out with Wraen, and she'd been thinking recently of taking another short trip.  Maybe over to visit the prince on the coast, she owed him a dragon lesson.

What is it? She couldn't resist asking as he led off, though right after she asked she guessed it would probably ruin it if he said instead of showed.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It hadn't even occurred to Charon that Maia might not be able to get off her pack duties that easily. She was just one of Dhole's underlings, right? What did it really matter? Would her pack really miss her? He felt the itch to kidnap her to Moonspear and just never let her leave there, because he didn't really want to let go of the feeling he felt when he was with her. It was different than anything he'd felt before. Much different than the stable and smart influence Ame was on his life. Fluctuating, dangerous, wild and energetic -- but he wanted it, all of it.

With nothing to show for all of that but a charming and pleased smile on his face as Maia said that she could play hooky for a bit, he turned away from the Copse's borders again. They'd pass down north, just like the direction he had come from. Rather than answering her question, he looked at Maia with a playful glinstening in his eyes. It's a bit of a walk, Charon warned, though he didn't mind. He knew it'd be fun because Maia was there. So if you want to see it tonight, you might want to get your ass moving. Charon bumped his head playfully against Maia's shoulder and then he dashed off in northern direction, passing by the ghost lion craig and heading north so that they could go 'round the mountains and head east when they could.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Cameo only.

Charon's call for Maia at the borders sparked curiousity in Wraen, who would have intercepted him, had not her sister made there first. Hidden by the canopy, standing still, listening and observing keenly, she did not make her presence known either. Though she was not unaware of the fact that Maia got on with her former alpha way better than she had ever had, the level of the familiarity between the two felt wrong. And, when he suggested to take her sibling somewhere, Wraen had to take it all she had to restrain herself from bursting out from her hide-out right there and then and denying him that right. 

Only after the two were out of sight and hearing distance, did she move to inspect the footprints the both had left and deliberate, whether she should follow their path. Something desperate and miserable inside her urged her on, but for the second time today she restrained herself from doing so. After all it was not Maia she did not trust. Charon was someone she did not wish to share her sister with. 

With this newfound dislike for Moonspear's alpha and his role in Maia's life to think about Wraen disappeared in the copse.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
From Maia's side, she'd never much considered her feelings for Charon.  Other boys she'd crushed on immediately, but perhaps because he was her mom's old friend, it was as if he'd skipped a level into close friend or family immediately.  Who knew if that would change? She certainly liked attention, and the fact that he enjoyed giving it to her flattered her immensely as their friendship progressed.  He was king of an entire mountain!!

Completely unaware of Wraen, Maia wrinkled her nose at the mention of it being a ways.  She'd been looking forward to slacking a little, but she wasn't about to pass this up anyway.  Okay... hey!!! The first was more of a huff, the second an exclamation as Charon took off.  Not fair!!

Laughing, Maia sprinted after him.  Luckily he was not as fast as Wraen, so she might be able to somewhat keep up!  This wasn't a pace she would be able to hold for long, and she'd be winded by the time she stopped.  It felt really good to run though! She let everything fall away outside of the focus of catching up to Charon and her own paws pounding the ground.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon, too, was too caught up in his moment with Maia to really care or notice Wraen there. He'd been nervous to come here initially when he was afraid he may run into Wraen or Dhole instead, but ever since Maia had appeared all those concerns were totally gone. She seemed insulted at his sudden departure, and that was exactly what he was going for. He laughed over his shoulder but allowed her to catch up with him soon enough on purpose.

What's your favourite childhood memory? Charon asked Maia as they ran, slowing down the pace somewhat so they could also talk while he headed northeast.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Even though he slowed down, she was definitely breathless by the time she caught up.  It took her a minute at their slower pace to be able to answer,  but she was grinning while she breathed.

I don't know, she finally answered.  It was a cop out but she'd had a charmed childhood compared to most.  Games with Cori and Cass, quality time with both parents, endless love and support.  It was a little sad to think about still honestly but she could handle it.  A month ago she wouldn't have.  I think playing quest with Cass and Cori.  Anytime we played Cass always made me be the monster, but it was still fun.  Her smile faltered a little.  I miss them a lot.

A moment, then it was done.  Your turn! She shouldered him back chipperly, eager to hear just what great memory he had that had spurred the question.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Playing quest with Cass and Cori. Charon smiled softly as Maia said she'd play this game and it brought him back to dragon hunting with Osprey. Oh, how exciting it had been. What had she made him gather? Dragon points? He didn't really remember, he just remembered the big adventure it had all been and how she had introduced him to the trolls and to the crafting bears. Ha. He wondered if any of his children still held this sort of sense of adventure. Charon felt failed as a parent on his latest brood when it came to this sort of stuff: He had taught Vela all about Osprey and his adventures. With the latest he'd been more protective and they had been less creative so hadn't encouraged each other as much, either. Yami would've been the missing link, he felt, for she had often been excited and creative, but she had gone missing so early that he didn't think she was likely still alive.

He was lost in thought until Maia shouldered him and exclaimed that it was his turn. Oh! Right -- let me think. He thought of mentioning any of his adventures with "cool aunt" Osprey, but he didn't want to flare up another spark of nostalgia, both for Maia and himself. I guess... Thoughts of the fight with the bear flashed before his eyes. He remembered being terrified, he remembered Jorunn getting grabbed by the bear, he remembered Flóki being there. Atreyu telling him to flee... Him grabbing Flóki and just running, running, running.

But most of all, he remembered the tear of the limb as it came off. The exact sound that it made.

It sounds pretty boring, but I guess... Taking care of my little brother Flóki and my adopted mother after my adopted father died. I guess that the only really 'fun' things I had as a kid was hanging out with my cool aunt Osprey, he admitted. Which you already know all about. But caring for my family gave me an opportunity to give them something back. Which was partly true; he had wanted to give them something back, though it had also given Charon immense pride to become Beta of the pack at nine months, and then Alpha of his own at a year. He wondered where Thistle'd gone when she had, but maybe she had just gone off to die somewhere. He still missed her sometimes, and probably always would.

He slowed his pace and looked at Maia with a frown. Sorry, I didn't mean for this to become sad.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Sharing memories was always going to be something sad now, she was starting to find.  But that didn't mean it had to be a complete downer.  His was sweet, though she didn't exactly know if she would have considered it a best memory if she were him.  Taking care of someone? Boring.

I bet you were the best big brother ever, she replied, shaking her head at his apology.  Second best, she thought internally, but Terance could forgive the fib because in Charon's case, to Floki, he was probably first!

It isn't suuuuper sad, just kinda.  But once we get to this super awesome place it won't be.  Where's your little brother now?  That was kinda a loaded question, but Maia grew up stable enough that she hadn't quite found how iffy asking others about family could be.  Especially when they talked about them in past tense.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon grinned as Maia said he must've been the best big brother ever. That was probably one of the best compliments to get, especially as he thought back to his youthful self. Charon tried to think of other memories but honestly, every one he could think of was either sad or small and kind of boring to tell about. Every small moment he had spent with his family was important to him, but they didn't make for good stories, most of 'em. And again, most stories, even some good ones like when he had fought Dante or when he had gone to the Glacier to retrieve Kevlyn and had gotten wounded by the monster dog on the way back... They were good stories but he wouldn't exactly call them his favourite childhood memories.

Flóki's gone. I don't know where he went, but I think he died in the snow storms we had a few years back. That's the last I saw of him after he went on a scouting mission. Charon frowned thoughtfully as he kept walking. I always hope that one day he'll just come walking up to the mountain, that he'll make it back. But from the tone of his voice it was clear that he realised this was idle hope; just something that kept him going through the days, hoping to see his lil' bro again. I bet you're a great big sister, too. Which was still sort of sad, but not entirely. It's better to have loved and lost than... Well, something like that.

After a while they approached the Moonstone Quarry. Charon couldn't help but notice by the fleeting scents of their borders a ways off from them that the Deapwood Weald was now claimed; he wondered out loud: Do you know what pack lives here? The distaste for this pack was clear in his voice. They didn't make their presence known to Moonspear yet. Then again, not many seemed to these days. Was tradition becoming lost on all of them? Or maybe he was just getting old.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
So same as mine.  He might not have.  Maybe he got lost?  She answered, optimism stemming from the fact that she had to believe that of her own siblings too.

I don't know, I didn't meet them.  She left before Osprey had the new kids, just before.  They had said it was alright, that they would manage, but the guilt was heavy on her now.  If she'd been there, maybe she could have helped.  They were really little.  She added with a swallow.  They totally made it out.  Totally.  Maybe I'll get to find out when they find us.

She was glad for the subject change that allowed her to switch focus.  Nope!  She laughed, thinking back to their first meeting.  Maybe they're like us and just to busy to even know there's a mountain.  You should go say hi, and make another friend.  Though I doubt they'll be as cool as I was.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Maybe, Charon said, though it was clear from his voice that he wasn't too sure. It had been a long time, really.

His remark hit a chord, clearly. Charon could not help but think about how Maia would also make a good mother, which was different but also the same in many ways as being a sibling; but he quickly shoved those thoughts aside. He told himself it was only because of the season that lingered around the teekon wilds that put such thoughts into his head. I'm sure you will, Charon said despite not having any real evidence that she would. But he really wanted it to be so.

Her response on the pack's presence elicited a snort from Charon. He shook his head with a grin; clearly she had no idea that he wasn't usually good at making friends at all. The only reason Maia and he were friends was because... Well, because of Maia. Hmm-mm, maybe I will, Charon said with a smirk twitching on his lips.

Alright... Charon said a little while later, as they had passed the quarry. Close your eyes from this point on. And just keep following my voice. Charon really hoped the fireflies were out tonight, or Maia would have to do a lot of closing her eyes.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia had little doubts Charon could make more friends of these other packs if he wanted to.  She'd never thought of herself as being particularly easy to get along with, though she was most of the time.  She guessed any others would go the same way theirs had - so long as they were cool too of course.

Okay, she said with some joking dubiousness as she closed them.  But if you lead me somewhere off a cliff or something I'm totally haunting your mountain.  I'll just sit on top of it and howl terribly.  She kept her eyes closed as she said this though, and followed along where she could hear/feel him going.  Jokes aside, she trusted him.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
At her joking about dying and haunting him, Charon snickered. Oh, well -- Change of plan, guys, he shouted to no one in particular but the pretend-wolves he'd pretend-hired to pretend-murder her. Alright, no peeking, eh? he said and lead the way on into the Firefly Glen, while making a few more jokes to make sure she knew where to go.

As he rounded the corner to the glen Charon held his breath, tense with anticipation. Alright, he said, the tenseness clear in his voice, then quickly added: Don't open them yet!

It seemed it was his lucky day because when they entered the glen the lights of the fireflies lit up the dark glen beautifully. Above them the stars shone brightly in a clear sky. Charon smiled at the scenery -- this was his favorite place to be -- and forgot for a moment that Maia had her eyes closed and probably had no clue what was going on.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She smiled as he joked about her joke.  She trusted him, but depending on how long she had to stay like this, keeping her eyes shut did make her a bit nervous.  She wasn't the most graceful of walkers with them open.

She took her time and managed to not fall on her face, which was cool.  When he ordered her not to open yet, she'd been just about to peek, but squinched then shut again with a little sigh.   She wanted to see!!

Fortunately for Maia since Charon didn't really give the signal, she was way too impatient to actually wait on him to do so.  It was another approximately 30 seconds before she peeled out, and when she did her eyes flew open.  Fireflies!! She exclaimed, delighted.

Wow this was gorgeous.  One of those scenes she should probably drink in and note for future stories, so she tried.  But after a couple, she grew restless with that and moved to walk through among the lightning bugs.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon didn't even notice that Maia hadn't waited for his cue, since he'd forgotten it himself in the first place. He smiled excitedly when she opened her eyes, waiting to see how she'd like the surprise. Okay, so he pretty much expected her to live it, because it fit into what he knew about her that she would, but still... When he saw the happy expression on her face and the excited exclamation about the fireflies, Charon's mood improved visibly as his own smile grew.

Beautiful, aren't they? This is my favourite place to be at night. The fireflies make the glen look almost magical, and the stars are really pretty out here too. He looked up briefly before looking back at Maia with a smile still on his face. I'm really glad they're out tonight. It was a bit of a gamble, after all, to see if they'd be there.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
It was beautiful for sure.  She listened as he spoke, but didn't look at him... instead she was captivated by the lights.  It's like fairy dust, she breathed, circling around tight to see all sides.  Don't follow it, or you'll never go home, and the mountain would lose its king. She added, jesting.  It was like a fairie's hideout though, and they could be tricky creatures if her mother's stories were to be believed.

If you could have one wish, what would it be? She asked suddenly, thinking of fairy dust and magic.  Her real answer was sad, obviously, but if he asked she doubted she'd be honest.  Some places were meant for happy wishes.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon chuckled as Maia gave a very Osprey-like explanation of the fireflies. He followed as she circled and watched them, glad to be here, in his favourite place in the Teekon, at his favourite time of day (or, well, night). He didn't actually believe any of the fairy talk but there was no denying there was something very magical about this place. If faeries did exist anyhwere at all, it would certainly be here.

Her question caught him off-guard, and it showed on his face. Charon blinked and looked almost flustered as he realised what the first thing was to pop into his head. I -- He paused abruptly, not sure if he could say it. And was that even his biggest wish? The first thing that he thought of without thinking was that he would wish for Maia to live on Moonspear, and for her to stand by his side now that Amekaze was old. The next feeling he felt was guilt, because he truly loved Amekaze. But what if she would never bear him children? And what if she would die within the year because she grew older each day? Charon did not know how old she was and she had never shown it but it showed. He just had not realised it at all until she could not bear his children. Then other cracks started to show.

He couldn't tell Maia, of course. It was just a silly dream. It was feelings that weren't smart or good and that she probably didn't even feel. But he should say something rather than be silent and mull it around in his head this entire time... Charon looked at Maia's face when he said eventually, his face serious: For you to live on Moonspear. Honestly, he wanted to ask her the return question too, but first he needed to see her response.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
He seemed to have trouble answering, but that didn't bother Maia.  She did kinda put him on the spot after all, but hey, that's what friends were for!! Keepin things interesting.

She had formulated a couple guesses for him.  To reach the moon from his mountain, maybe, or to lead his pack forever.  Maybe to fly, or maybe because he seemed like the type, to be the most honorable and courageous knight in his own story.  Or, maybe like her real one, it was to have his family back.

None of her guesses came even close to what came out of his mouth, and she stopped and stared at him a moment.  Then she laughed, because she couldn't help it.  He'd taken her completely by surprise, and she couldn't fathom why he'd want to spend his one wish on that.  You only get one!  Why would you wanna spend it on me?  She replied teasingly.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
There was a look of surprise on her face at first, but it didn't last very long until she started to laugh. Charon then started to laugh, too, realising how silly this must sound when you could have any wish at all granted. But the answer to the question remained the same even as he considered all of the other options. Well, his wish wasn't entirely sincere, perhaps -- he didn't just want Maia to join Moonspear, he wanted Maia to stand by his side as his Queen one day. He imagined stealing kisses in the corners of the mountain, in little lonely caves nobody cared about, until the day that Amekaze would die and he would pull her up beside him. But then again, he did not really want to wait for that. Yet Maia seemed like a free sort of spirit, and so Charon was unsure if he could ever even have her. All he knew was that that was the thing he wanted most in the world.

It's silly, isn't it? Charon said as he finished chuckling. Then his face turned serious again and there was a softness to his single-eyed gaze as he looked at Maia again. Yet no matter what angle I look at it from, the wish remains the same. I -- His voice faltered as he tried to phrase what he wanted to say. Or rather, as he tried to figure out what to say without really saying it, because Charon was afraid that it would drive her away. The scent of Hydra's upcoming heat was still fresh on his nostrils and clouded his thoughts. Eventually he said, gaze still soft and also fragile, afraid of what she might respond: You mean a great deal to me, Maia. I knew you were special from the very moment we met. You're not just another friend easily made. I don't think I've ever had such a strong connection with anyone the second I met them. And that feeling had only grown. Now was the scary part where he found out just what she thought about all of that, and how she would interpret it.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh boy, was Maia ever flattered.  She was not a wolf who hated attention or compliments and right now, Charon was dishing both out rather heavily.  She could practically feel herself glowing from the declaration, even as she wondered what the heck she could even do with that.

She wasn't dumb.  She'd done an awful lot of chasing boys in her time, and even if she had never really been the one chased, she knew what that look Charon was giving her meant.  And boy oh boy, was it validating.  Really?  This came out a little more hesitantly - surely he wouldn't be punking her right now, but she couldn't help asking.  He had so many wolves there already, and since he was King he could probably hang out with any one of them.  But instead, she was special.  Her feelings about Charon didn't matter right then - she wasn't even considering it.  All that mattered was how he felt about her, and how that in turn made her feel - awesome.

Well, I guess I am pretty great, she responded, her heart rate picking up as she looked at him with a smile.  His wish wasn't going to happen in any way without a talk with Wraen, but she'd ride this feeling gladly.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Maia sounded almost like she expected a bunch of other wolves to jump from the bushes, shouting "oooooooooh" and laughing in her face when she asked him 'really?' again. There was something endearing about the fragility with which that was asked. But even though Charon liked to play and joke he wasn't one to prank all that much. Especially to those wolves that meant much to him. He nodded and he could read on her face that she was quite uplifted by this statement. Maybe he shouldn't have said it, but fuck it, life was short and some day Amekaze would die -- he much rather wanted someone by his side that he actually loved when she did, then another mateship born out of cold logic.

Charon grinned at her statement, and then asked: What about your wish?
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Now it was her turn, and she had a choice to make.  She could go real or she could go light-hearted, and right now, light-hearted was the frontrunner.  Charon's wish had made her happy, and she wasn't about to let her own make her sad again.  How lame would that be?

So she would fib a bit.  Not a bad one, but the wish she gave was the one she would ask for if none of the bad in her life existed.  I'd definitely wish to be a valkyrie.   They always seemed super cool from mom's stories, and it'd be neat to be a warrior and take part in epic battles with a bunch of awesome sisters.  Her eyes shone as she talked about it.  She'd never been in a battle, and wasn't sure she ever wanted to be in a real one; this was a wish, though, so the battle would only be like the ones in stories.  In the stories, good always won and the after-effects didn't matter.  It was only the glory of the moment and that was what she would wish for.