Moonspear look what you've done
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
His return home had been tough. Charon had received much hostility even though he just wanted to make sure everything was well between all of them again and was treated like the enemy, when clearly he was the King of this mountain. He'd met hostility and he had met some love and sanity -- mainly from Arcturus -- but still Charon did not know how he stood with some of his kin. He missed Vela, who would surely understand his side of things. She might not be happy or even accept if Speedy's womb would take and bring new life, but she would at the very least not allow the rest of the family to chew Charon out over it like that. It was clearly not his fault; hormones were at fault here, and if anyone was to blame, it was Amekaze for if she had come into her season like normal then Hydra and Speedy would not have. She had given the suggestion she was not fit to rule any longer, and he graciously accepted that she would not bring him children (eventually) yet she still stabbed him like this, treating him as if it was all his fault.

He knew better than to tell her that it was her fault, though, and so he had not yet done so. Maybe if Speedy was pregnant, it might come to that, but for now things simply remained tense. Charon had tried to convince @Amekaze that he could sleep by her side but it seemed that for now she would not let him (gerra pls let me know if this is an incorrect assumption). Spending more time away from one another was not in any way the way to fix this mountain and what played on everyone's mind now, however. Charon knew that. Ame seemed not to understand this. Maybe she was getting too old.

Yet these thoughts made him feel guilty, for he still loved her and he really did wish it to be them against the world. Not them against one another. He wished that she would see that Speedy's children woud be her children instead, that they would raise them and they'd never know differently, just like he had been raised by the Alpha pair that were not his birth parents. She didn't get it. She wouldn't get it, he knew that. If only he could convince her somehow.

All of this weighed heavily on his heart and the news of Hydra's upcoming litter mixed in oddly, as though he was not sure whether to be happy or sad about everything that went on.

The King of the mountain wandered a path that lead higher up the mountain. Maybe he would reach the stars this time, but he doubted it. After two summers of trying, he doubted that the third year he would make it. But maybe. At the very least, he could use some distraction, and a good view from the mountain's higher reaches had never failed to put him in a better mood.

all welcome!
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra, too, wanted things to be cleared between them. While she was entirely on her mothers side and was even still set in her suspicion, she had decided for now to settle on an armistice. Speedy had said nothing had transpired between her father and herself, and her inclination toward faith in her father benefited the tawny medic that day, saving her from further reprimand. And it was that same faith in him that had her following his trail this evening.

She caught up to him with ease, despite her condition. She was not one to laze, and she was as fit as she could be given the fortuituous change that was coming over her. Hydra loosed a whuff, seeking to close the gap between them.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
His peace and quiet time was disturbed by his daughter, and Charon was torn between minding and being fine with it. He wanted things to be good between them and interaction would make it better, he knew, but also he wanted to just forget all of this was happening for a moment and blow off some steam. Fancy he'd run into Hydra -- or rather, she followed him up here -- this high up the mountain.

He chuffed back, and wondered instantly if she'd seen Speedy yet. Honestly, part of him just wanted the truth out, and whatever battles flowed from it fought, but maybe it was more tactical to keep quiet for now. He didn't even know if it was necessary to fight those battles just yet, after all. Charon didn't expect Hydra to understand his struggles. He'd never considered her less than his sons, but now that she was pregnant and his problems with his mate concerned her reproductive health surely she would be selfish in her side-picking. She'd never understand his struggles. He remained silent for now and waited along the mountain path, waiting to hear if Hydra had come for anything specific.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She hadn't, not really. Not until she arrived by his side. What is it? Hydra asked, then, realizing she was being unclear: We have always been on the same page, Hydra breathed, until Speedy. Hydra did not realize it was her own heat that drove him away, and on that note, she reiterated. When mother told me what was going on, I did ask permission. I thought she might tell you. She allowed it, Hydra advised with the slight dip of her head, I have never desired to disrespect you. You must know that she expressed, watching his features.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
What is it, she asked, a heavy question. A lot was on his mind, as was on everyone's... The upcoming grandchildren that he had not said his blessings about, Speedy's likely upcoming children, the fact it felt that everyone in his family turned against him except one of his sons... Charon wasn't even sure where to start. Hydra thought it had started with Speedy, but it was before that. It was when she came into heat, and Amekaze did not, that things had started to slip, whether she had seen or not. Speedy was just another symptom, except they were all too blind to see it.

He frowned when she said that she'd never meant to disrespect him. What could he say? Charon looked at Hydra, suddenly feeling weary about this whole battle. He didn't want them to fight. He didn't want any of this. We should be a family, like we have always been. I am so proud of what you have become, Hydra, but... I'm also scared of what you are becoming. You may no longer need me soon. He hoped she understood this in some way, understood his fear of his little girl not only leading her own life, but taking his away from him in the process. I won't see our mountain fall because of squabbles. But somehow it feels like it will be different, that we cannot speak like we do now, when the others are here too. That we will stand again like that day, and that I will be the one falling then. Charon glanced seemingly offhandedly (but not really) to the side, to the valleys below and the steep cliffs of his home. It should have been her, Hydra -- and it should've been mine. His frown deepened and emotion shimmered in his eyes as he looked at Hydra's stomach. I will tell you that I'm happy about your children even if I'm struck that you did not wait to ask for my blessing... and then I want to tell you a story. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, somewhat of a sigh. He wasn't sure she'd understand, but if not today, then maybe some day she may look back upon this conversation and regret what she might do in the future, understand what he meant at last.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Fear. It was as her brother said. He shifted to a different reason, and Hydra was quiet as she listened. She tempered her own anger and willed herself to listen, truly, this time. As he spoke of her not needing him any longer, she did not even wish to admit she would always need him. But he had shared this moment of weakness with her, could she not plainly do so with him? She was still stung by his (what she perceived) attempt to remove her brothers face in her... and Hydra actively fought against this. 

She listened still. She curbed her tongue, and as he spoke and looked to her belly, Hydra held her breath until she finished. Hydra feared that were she to not, the force of it might cause him to fall rather than a mere disagreement. She recalled his thoughts, and she asked: do you think that the onset of it can be willed away by ones own mind? Or willed to? That is not so. It is not in our control. I suppose only mother could have ended my heat, she would likely have killed anyone else who bore their teeth to her, but she could not force one upon herself, or force it away. I did not think to wish for this. But she was there for me, she guided me, and she was not at all angry with him for not being there. Perhaps this was one thing only a mother could do. I could not wait. It comes when it comes. And with it comes knowing. I knew to go after Speedy, she explained, to protect her. To protect the pack. As you said you would do, her tone was not accusatory here, or pointed in a way meant to offend... simply to say: I had thought you understood—except now, she understood his intent. 

He had protected Speedy. Against her

The epiphany had struck her silent, though it may very well seem to him that she was willing to hear his story as her eyes shifted and she sorted through her thoughts.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon listened as Hydra told him basically what Amekaze had told him except with less chomp. He still didn't entirely believe this, because this was what it was always like, what it should be like. They should have raised another litter beside Hydra's. It shouldn't have been this way. The problem with the heat is the hysteria that it induces, Charon said, unaware that his words may be perceived respectless because that's just how he saw things. Everyone gets heated about this when it's a lot simpler than everyone is making it. Honestly he felt that Hydra could've easily waited for him. You could've called, could've sent Arcturus with a message, could've waited. What was a year to wait if she was sure she wanted this? It had prevented much drama.

Charon frowned as he looked at Hydra, who only seemed to be getting upset with him again, acting as if he was dumb and just didn't get it. Do you understand what it's like? Of course she didn't. To be denied children, to be spat at at bringing up the very subject, to be told off by your daughter in front of your pack? He shook his head, the story forgotten for now as he turned his head away, looking over the lands below. The view was spectacular, but he had a hard time enjoying it right now. He didn't look away because he didn't want to look at her or talk; he looked away to hide the emotion that shimmered in his eyes because he did not want her to think him weak. Clearly it had not helped at all to tell her of his fears, clearly he was foolish to share them at all so they could be used against him.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
As he spoke the words, Hydra tilted her head. Who suffers from hysteria? Genuine interest came into her tone. She wanted to hear him refer to her as such, if that was what he truly thought. If anything, Hydra felt it was him who was becoming hysteric throughout this. And for this tawny bitch who should mean nothing, who perhaps would have. Hydra sighed to his words. This is how it has always been. You, and mother—now me, as I have come into it; I thought were you here you would have given me your blessing as mother had, truthfully. I thought it was mother who had gone to you with the message, actually—and having heard nothing from you throughout my time, I thought that I had it. It was not something I hid from you, she shared with him how she thought of this. Never has there been other blood but yours and mothers on this mountain. And now, yours, mothers, and mine—for they share the blood of you two, as they do my mate and I, she waved her tail at that. There have been no others. And to allow for it... for Speedy to act on her heat despite my warning, is a challenge to me. It would mean she has no respect for me as her leader, either. It will mean that she and her children will always be above the decisions that I make. And it will teach everyone that my word means nothing... and... she faltered here. She did not want to admit what made bile rise in her throat, and fortunately for her he spoke first. 

Mother would never deny you if she could help it, though. Perhaps it does not feel like that right now, she reasoned, but it is because she loves you that she is so enraged. You think it is simple; perhaps for men, it is, she allowed, and that is not a bad thing, if so, and would explain why womens heat must be prevented by a lead female. Why I knew what I must do, she considered his thoughts in all of this. But for women, especially those that do lead, there can be no greater insult than for something like this to be done... even the belief in it caused anger. Mother loves you enough to see what you have created versus what she did not give this year, Hydra shared. What she was not so certain of was if her mother not going into heat was a permanent thing. When he turned away, Hydra did not see the tears that brimmed his eyes. But she could sense a great sadness. 

Her nose moved toward his chin, and she sighed. I was hurt when you spoke to me the way you did that day. Never have you spoken to me like that, and I reacted. Not to undermine your authority, but to reestablish mine, she explained, wanting him to understand this, too. I listened to your decision, and set aside my instinct, something she had never done before. Hydra withdrew then, watching his features, murmuring, before she withdrew, I trusted you. 

For she had. And some of her still did, and that was what presented itself in this moment. There would be plenty of time for the fiery anger that lurked in her own belly, keeping her children warm.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
At Hydra's question, Charon said, somewhat confused because he thought he had been clear: Everyone who is influenced by the season. This included him, even though he'd never say that out loud. But he saw the way his sons acted as well as he knew he could not trust his own instincts on the matter.

Hydra said it was how it had always been, but it wasn't. The difference was that Hydra was the one becoming a mother now, and Amekaze refused to birth him more children. She said that she had no control over this but neither was she sad about the lack of season. That alone must mean she must have some degree of control over it. So it was once more Amekaze who should have relayed him messages, but did not. Charon was growing more paranoid, wondering if his mate was more conniving than he thought, or simply thoughtless of it. She did not, he said, his tone cold and a little hurt. I would have said yes, of course I would have -- but that isn't what this is about. She knew it, he imagined, considering time proved she was very much her father's daughter. He felt a twisted sort of pride rise inside him. Once more he thought back to the conversation he had held with Amekaze about allowing Hydra to step up and take their place. She wasn't ready, perhaps, and he was not so sure his place should be in her shadow, either.. but these moments showed why he wanted her to. If only it could be him to stand beside her, like he had stood beside her mother when she was still strong and full of life...

Charon shook these uneasy thoughts away. He recognised that much of Hydra's feelings were reflections of his own, except on different subjects. He didn't understand all of it, but this much he knew. It seemed finally she, too, opened up some to him. He looked at Hydra and said: Nobody would think less of you for it, for it was my decision, not hers. She knows she is not above you. Speedy has no ambitions to be. You know that. I understand that you were upset about my overruling, but you must understand... You are the one who is awaiting children, as I did in years before, which left me without a home to avoid wanting to -- strange feelings -- hysteria -- as heats do. Amekaze was angry and refused to birth more children. I was left with nothing. I wanted... I needed... To be in control again. But he couldn't say it, even though it clicked suddenly that he needed it. And the next moment that thought was gone.

Ah, if only he could be the one to stand beside her. But maybe he could, in another sort of way. Maybe it was time. Surely Amekaze would hate him for this, but... When he looked back from the view Charon's eyes still glimmered with emotion, but there was a determination and pride in his face too. I have a dream, Hydra, and in it you would step from our shadow and take your intended place in this pack and in this world. Your charisma will build a world my grandchildren deserve. Your mother disagreed when I suggested this to her, but I believe you are ready. I would advice you and make you strong, and from this mountain we will take the valleys below. Everyone would hear our name and quiver rather than take ours away from us as they did to Galaxy or Floki or Yami. Our family would rule supreme from this star-tipped mountain, and we would have soldiers that we make sure are loyal to us to make this happen. He looked at Hydra to see how she would react to this sudden twist to their conversation.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He saved himself, and she was keenly aware of it. Revui would not have lied to her. But she acted none-the-wiser. She had told her brother she would not betray him, and she would not. She was steadfast to him, and had no reason to reveal him except for her own pride. He included himself without verbatim saying so, but Hydra understood it as such. 

As he explained, Hydra found a chord struck. She understood, in a way. But he did not see how it mattered not what Speedy wanted, or what he wanted, that day. It was her right, and his desire to be in control tore it away from her. It could not happen again, and what might result from it... but Speedy had said nothing transpired. Hydra held onto that thought as her father spoke, and maintained herself well for it. Speedy's dishonesty provided Hydra with a calm mind for their conversation, though she was still angry with him for speaking against her at all to turn Revui away from her, and to make Arcturus speak as he did toward her. He would not have done so, were it not for the seeds he had planted. But she did see what it was for, now: he felt he was losing control. 

A symptom of hysteria, perhaps. All would have been well amongst them if he had seen that he was in control; he controlled the entirety of that moment, but not in a way that benefited those he cared most for. Yes, indeed; he let hysteria manifest itself inside of him. And perhaps it lingered still. How could it not, if he could speak of her in the way that he had? That he could think the unthinkable and believe his mate would deny him what she never would if she could control it? 

Anger cannot stop it. I was angry for a week before it was my time. I let no one near me, not even Lyra—I thought I would attack Dirge, one day, she remembered with a frown. But as for being left with nothing? Her expression shifted, and her ears cupped backward. You have her, still, and you have me, and your other sons, and worthy daughters, she hummed with a wave of her tail. And soon you will have grandchildren. Perhaps hysteria had you believing that you had nothing, Hydra suggested, not thinking or believing that he thought nothing of their family, but you have always had everything. A home, wolves who love you, respect you, look up to you, she had been among them, but still was feeling a little heart-sore. I can see how you must have felt so confused in that time, father, but do you see now that you were wrong? He was wanted. He was loved. He had created his legacy, and maybe hysteria had him forget, but it was time to remember.  

His next words appealed to her entirely. Each of her capstone traits rallied within her as he stroked her vanity, her pride, her ego, her ambition. As he spoke it, she did not forget his wrongdoings, but she supposed this was his way of acknowledging them—by acknowledging her, and admitting her true worth. Hydra lifted her head; if her mother had doubts, she knew they must all be gone by now, for during Charon's sojourn they had grown closer, and they, too, were of similar minds. This was the road that they would take that would heal them all, she imagined. 

I share that dream, she revealed to him. I always have, father. That is the world I want to bring my children into, where their family was the same unit they had always been, and always would be. I am ready.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Although Charon did not think Hydra's words about his doubts were true or that he had acted wrong, for he still felt that many of his family had failed him and that they should trust his decisions as Alpha -- Speedy being one of them -- he kept quiet for now. It was all water under the bridge in the end, so he just nodded when she asked if he realised now that he was wrong.

Charon just wanted to see his dream come into fruition; for selfish needs, perhaps, for Hydra was his daughter and a product of himself. Her success would mean as much as his own, and she had enough friends across the valleys to be able to manipulate them all; willingly or hard-handed.

As she said she was ready, a proud smile plucked at his face. It was clear this was his favourable outcome. Not because he wanted to save his skin, but because this was the future he envisioned. There is only one favour I must ask in return that will benefit our dream. You were right to doubt me. I did not intend for it when I did what I did that day, I thought I could be in control but then she... Speedy may be with child. But don't get angry yet. We need soldiers -- let us raise them as thralls, break them, and make sure they will always be loyal to our family. Charon waited, knowing this was the moment of breaking or making his dreams for the future. But he knew that she knew the family need to stand strong for their common dream to come into fruition, and even a simple thing such as to cast Charon out would mean they would never be more than 'just another pack', setting back whatever progress by much.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She had felt they were on the path to progress. All would be right and well again, she hoped, with this transition. In his decision, he did away with many of her concerns, and so when he asked a favor of her Hydra listened attentively. She would never have thought what would come from him then, but for her part, Hydra did well in not revealing a shred of what she felt.

Hydra's mind raced. She dwelled over it, and his request that she not get angry did little to prevent its arrival. He had been wrong, he acknowledged, which was a balm to the burn she felt in the pit of her belly, and she had been right. Her nostrils flared at that, lifting her head a measure, and she heard loud and clear the blame of Speedy. At least, though, he acknowledged his place in this mess. His own hysteria. She was quiet as she considered his words, and the truth of it was she saw the merit in it. And her own mind, tactical as it was, ran wild with it. She did not want these children to be, but the way he spoke of them, in a way they would not. They were expendable. Perhaps the first line, guardians of her own cubs, to her brothers and sisters, to her mother and father, to her, even. Should someone seek to drive at any of her full-blooded brethren a blow, they would be the ones to receive it, the bastards—

These were cruel thoughts that came to her, but these were lives that were not supposed to be in the first place. Her father knew it as well as she did, to suggest it at all. There was the matter of her command to Speedy; that if she lied, well, she would no longer be welcome to live her any longer. Hydra would make good on that, though in a different way than she would have imagined. Hear my own proposition. It might do well to resolve many matters, Arcturus's perceived slight among them, she shifted her weight and began. I told Speedy that if she lied to me in the matter of your union, if she was with child, due to her lie, that she would not be welcome upon Moonspear. Well, what if we begun our plan now? Perhaps Arcturus might be interested in being the first to expand our empire. Alpha of that place, but another second to Moonspear even still, always welcome here. He will be under the instruction of us even still, and learn, like Revui. Speedy can give birth there, live there, though not be welcome here. When her children are old enough, they will be brought here to learn, she tilted her head, wondering what her father might make of her thoughts. She felt it would mollify their mother, too, which could only serve to further, and better, their cause.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
In Charon's mind breaking his own bastard children was beneficial to even them. They would know what to do and they would further their father's heritage -- what better future could they have? Charon listened as Hydra spoke. Maybe if the pack had been large he would accept this, but now... they were so small. How could they split off now? He contemplated, then said: It will only work if the pack grows bigger soon. Otherwise there will only be two small packs. Have you made friends on your travels that will move under your command? Charon wondered. She will stay here until it is possible to split off, but I agree that when the time comes, Arcturus can be moved there to lead as regent, with Speedy in exile, while when they are weaned off milk the pups will be raised here. He looked at Hydra to see if she agreed.

Then; We should call your mother to tell her about these plans. We haven't... Seen eye to eye yet since my return. Charon frowned, as he wished for things to be as they were. But surely his new plan would win her heart over, for it showed that ambition that had lured her to him in the first place (or rather, that had made her accept his claiming of her).
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra sighed, understanding all of that. There was precious little time, and she rumbled in her discontent at the idea of the litter being born in the same place her own children were. That seemed wrong, and none but her mother had earned such a privilege. I do not want her to give birth upon our mountain. I do not want her to have resources that were only ever meant for mother, and now, me, she explained, sighing, but her tone suggested there were ways in which she may be able to be convinced. Still, she did not want their softness to cause her own brothers to mistake what they were meant for: death. I would not mind protection extending to them, should the need arise, but I want your grandchildren to be the priority. Speedy's children could be bait, for all Hydra cared, for the predators... but Speedy herself had lied, and there would be consequence to that. Would her father permit dishonesty from others? To do so was to permit it to continue, and she would not enable the behavior. 

The dark she-wolf nodded her head. We can bring it up with Arcturus. See what he thinks, first, and if he might want it for himself. Perhaps Revui would prefer it and Arcturus would wish to remain here as second, in the end, though, she would like to see his longevity as well as his loyalty recognized, and she advocated for it. There is the matter that Speedy lied to him, too... have you shared this news with any other? She asked after a beat, concerned as to how they would take it... She considered it for a moment, though had determined to not let any violence come to her, except to be chased from this place. 

The Ostrega nodded to his suggestion. This may be a way for us all to see eye to eye. We should decide things together, not apart; that is when we work best. That is when no one can defeat us, she hummed, tail waving. It had been that way for so long, and her mind was at peace in thinking that they would put what had come between them in a place where it would be insignificant to them all.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Though Hydra said she did not wish for Speedy to give birth on the mountain, it was clear that she also understood there simply was no other way as was. Charon didn't really think they would steal resources; he believed that they could hunt enough to make sure there was plenty for both litters to co-exist. We will make sure there is enough for both. Right now we simply do not have the numbers to split off just yet. That's a reality we will have to form plans around. Maybe another punishment could follow. Charon's stomach twisted as he thought of the pleasant weeks he had spent alongside Speedy and how he did not wish for her to be harmed, but he also recognised rationally that these bonds formed were partially simply because of the hormones that had driven their minds mad. He liked Speedy, and he wished to keep her here, but right now things were complicated at best.

Hydra went on to suggest that they should speak with Arcturus and if he did not wish it, then maybe Revui. Revui did seem a good choice, for he was loyal and sturdy and did not use much words. A risk in some way as it was hard to tell what went on in his mind, but as long as their family was united Charon did not think it would be a problem, for he was raised to follow the Ostrega family's wishes and had not betrayed them yet. His only risk lay when they were divided. At Hydra's question, Charon said: Only to Arcturus. He did not remember why precisely, but somehow it had seemed important. Maybe because the boy had seemed the only rational family member in a sea of chaos and anger directed at him, and he needed an ally at the time.

He bobbed his head and said: Let's put this plan before your mother. And let's hope it will mend our bond like it has ours. He offered a small smile, a tiny extended bridge towards his daughter, hoping that this would truly bring their family together again. Then Charon lifted his nose and called for @Amekaze's presence here, in some of the mountain's higher reaches.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
He was receiving no slack from her, not after expending so much of her favor so quickly and giving her frustrations towards him nowhere to go. A part of her didn't want to answer, and only because she was nearby enough, freshly fed, and well-rested would she grant him an ounce of her time. Lately she had spent more time warring him off, not wanting anything to do with his empty, misplaced attempts at reconciliation. Going to him was against all of that, but she took peace in thinking he would probably be storming off soon enough anyway--so she wouldn't have to deal for long if she kept her tongue sharp. She was still viciously mad at him for disrespecting her and disappointing her in one good go of it, even without the whole story.

Amekaze didn't hurry, but these elevations she had long memorized kept her route precise. Soon she came to Hydra's side, wordlessly enough with her tail up, and glared expectantly at Charon.
[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded, plans already coming to mind. In any case, she did not doubt that reality would, at some point, lead Speedy to that end. Even in this, the stars shone their light upon Hydra; she felt far more herself, here and now, than she had in days. At the information her father shared, Hydra nearly lost some of her carefully maintained composure. 

Arcturus had held a far bigger secret than Charon's mention of hysteria to him, and that much she had not even known for certain. The weighty slap of her brothers betrayal in not sharing this with her brought on a clarity that stung. 

The pain only ever did make her stronger, though, and wiser too. 

Hydra had high hopes, despite that. This was her life, and she had worked hard for it. Hydra was glad when he called for Amekaze; strangely the benefit of this chaos had been their united front, which Hydra maintained as she came to be beside her. Hydra nosed her chin in greeting, and elected to speak first. Hydra knew that the words her father spoke held less weight to her mother these days, and did not want that to diminish her, or their idea. 

The pregnant Ostrega looked to her mother and began: Father shared with me his hopes for me to lead. It is something I feel ready for, now more than ever, she breathed, her gaze searching her mothers features but sensing she would understand. Plenty had been given up when she had not been able to assert herself, but she could find it in her no longer to not answer the call within. I would like it if I had the two of you two advise me, and Hydra pictured her mother alongside her still as Hydra learned the final ropes of being the strongest leader, as only the best alpha female in the wilds ever could. In these past few weeks, Hydra understood she had plenty still to learn from the wise matriarch of their family, and her respect toward that was clear; Hydra did not wish to rip it from Amekaze, but rather share it until her mother felt she had instructed all that she ever could.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
As Amekaze drew up beside Hydra it was painfully clear that she did not look fondly upon him. Charon let Hydra do the talking for much the same reasons. He waited patiently as Hydra explained and studied Amekaze's face to see what she thought of all this.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
She bumped her muzzle against Hydra's lightly, and though it was not aimed towards her daughter, she remained particularly guarded as she tried to feel out the situation that had summoned her. Without knowing the subjects at play here, she did not yet know how to gauge it. Charon said nothing so far, and she decided quickly that she didn't trust his silence.

Together they had talked about this, so it wasn't a big surprise to hear. Ame had already been advising Hydra carefully for moons now--not just in things that blatantly translated to leadership, but life, and handling it with a balance despite the turbulent seas all while honing a ferocity in her befitting the mountain itself. This was likely to be a lifelong process, or at least until proximity didn't allow any longer (which she was in no hurry to face). But right here and now, Ame felt a touch suspicious of the timing, everything considered. Charon had brought Revui's promotion along recently, too, and now..? I see. I cannot say I disagree, she replied, thoughtful, but just as with talks in the past between her and Charon, she did not feel particularly ready to shelve herself quite so entirely. Especially if she wasn't mothering pups this year, she had nothing else in her way besides the mountain and mentoring her offspring (and grand-offspring next) to be their best.

Yet Hydra was more ready now than she had been months ago--on that, she certainly agreed, upcoming pups or not. In the middle of all this turmoil, Hydra had been her steadiest support and her greatest confident; she trusted her more than him right now, anyway, and that was saying plenty on both of their behalves. You are okay with the timing of such a thing now? With pups, soon enough? she asked her daughter, wanting to be sure before she could align anything else. True there was still time, but she knew better than any that it could pass quickly. Summer would be spanning on before they knew it.

Her nose lifted when she peered back Charon's way then. Before, he had mentioned not being ready to step aside then, and she wasn't either--but honestly, this was not exactly what she had been thinking about between them lately. She needed that much, for start. One thing at a time.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was pleased to hear her mothers response, and it showed in the slight lift in her chin; such a thing was no challenge, only an indication that what her mother had said was well-received. Her mother was held in high esteem, and had been a place of stability when her own life was upended for the first time thanks to her coming into her womanhood. Her mothers inquiry was met with a firm nod. It was largely due to them she was ready to take her place; it would guarantee their own, and there could be no uncertainty there—not that she would permit there to be a chance ever again without her knowing. 

It would not get in the way any; she had seen her mother fully capable after escaping the den, and Hydra would continue to learn from her there, too. But she was ready; she knew she had a solid group of wolves to defend her, and that they would always be well looked after. Her nose sought her mothers cheek, grateful for her support as she had been her fathers, and her gaze turned toward him as well, shining in a determined light. 

A secondary look came then, a plead for him to still his tongue here so as to keep the peace between them, as she glanced back to her mother. Your granchildren are our packs future this year. Mother, I spoke with father of other things as well. We want to come to expand our claim, in years to come, when we are ready to. Perhaps Revui or Arcturus might want to act as... Regent, there, answering to me even still, and among our council where all will be taken into consideration. I have spoke plainly to father about wanting to remove Speedy, and he has accepted she be removed in time, once we are able to expand our claim. Anything begotten by a union, here there was a savage gleam in her eye that indicated how she felt about that, was a mistake that shall not happen again—but perhaps it might be of use this year, Hydra tilted her head here. She thought of their old enemies, namely one, who might wish to avenge himself in some cowardly manner (as was his way); he could have his pickings, but they would never be hers. Oh, to be sure, they would be protected, and thoroughly avenged—but who would truly weep over such a loss for very long, but for Speedy, who deserved any misery at all that befell her—

All this she did not say, and instead what came to her tongue was they would be raised simply to be fighters. Our frontline defense, expendables, and should resources fall short, well, Hydra glanced to her father, it has been agreed upon that our family takes precedence. Hydra was a tactical woman; she would take these wrongs and make them right. Her mother could at least rest easy in knowing that mistakes made were admitted as such, and would not happen again, and that their worth and their place in the world was nothing. The most Charon asked of her was their life, but had accepted the consequences of the quality of it. They would know very little love. 

He had set them up for a miserable life—they were better off elsewhere, or dead, but perhaps this, too, was what Speedy deserved.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The pointed look that Amekaze gave him did not go unnoticed. It seemed she did agree with the plan to make Hydra their leader, a plan that Charon felt was the only way to salvage the wreckage of their family. Honestly, part of Charon played with the thought of simply taking Speedy and leaving, finding a pack of their own, start anew.. but then he thought of all else in his life. He thought of his dreams, the ones he had long ago, to create a big legacy. It had never happened, but now... Maybe still... Charon appreciated Speedy and felt she didn't deserve what she might receive, as she was his friend, but what he felt for her wasn't enough like love to tumble his entire life over for. However much it pained him. But it seemed impossible to choose between his children and, well, his children.

Charon watched in silence as Hydra spoke, his posture confident as normal, while he watched for Amekaze's response. Surely she would be angry, but hopefully she would see the sense in what Hydra displayed before them. Our family deserves to rule these wilds. It is time we make good on the legacy our children deserve, and we need every soldier we can get. Charon then waited, surely receiving Amekaze's wrath for what had transpired, but knowing she would see the wisdom behind forgiveness some day (even if that day was probably not today).
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
It became a steady cascade of information to sort through. One thing led to another, of course. Hydra herself didn't balk at the timing, so that was good, and there was that to almost savor for all of the half second she could. Then, Ame didn't disagree fundamentally with some eventual expansion of their claims, especially with her offspring growing up and into families of their own further in the years to come--some bound to head outward sooner or later, but this all veered swift into bringing Speedy into the situation, and here before Charon, she didn't like it on principle. Her brows quirked, half skeptical and half in that vague disgust she could peer down her nose at him with when she understood what Hydra implied--then went on to speak on at length of their worth.

So, she was absolutely right to think that he would have failed in his lovely little mission to protect Speedy during her heat, then--not that she was surprised, but she was angry with him for it. That was as much confirmation as she would need, and, proof enough that he had willingly gone against what she had told him. In the one time he had brought it between them, she had expressed readily that she was not about just anyone for the sake of family--that his did not equal hers, not when she had no part in any of it, except frustration--just like this. Interesting, as I thought Speedy told you nothing came of it, she deadpanned and her tail lashed, for this statement she pointed at Hydra, who would understand what went unsaid. Liars, too, then.. the both of them. You saw what happened the last time I heard all about the potential worth of the unborn that I did not sanction here, she said, meaning those newly born dead bodies arranged on their borders left behind by Zafina. She had never elaborated that situation to Charon, considering the timing, so didn't care if he understood what she meant.

Needless to say, she didn't trust any of it. Hydra's offspring were the only sure thing she could bank on, and so for them, that was all that mattered. She didn't want to look at those cubs merrily enjoying the mountain meant for their family, and see Charon's features and know that he had lied, gone behind her back, disrespected her, and so had Speedy right along with him as a willing enough accomplice to the crime. She would kill them before they could even grow up enough to be the meat-shields these two were imagining. Didn't they realize...?  How could they expect her to be placated on these hypotheticals, ones placed on the shoulders of what she viewed as lesser already?

This is not to say that I do not support spreading our reach, or them branching on their own, but I do not want to splinter my family in any hurry for the sake of Speedy's illicit whelps. We do not have the numbers in excess to make that easily possible now, and I would much rather have my grandpups protected by their family first, too.. Which meant here, with them. She didn't care about the fate of Speedy's pups and had made that clear well before the chance. She didn't want to worry about recruiting flaky randoms at a time when they needed to focus on themselves here at home, and the lives they would welcome that mattered to this mountain in what, hardly more than the whole turn of the moon? They would all know why she only trusted her own with such delicate, important matters as those. Expendable or not, I do not feel quite convinced yet that I need anything to do with them yet.. she sighed, mostly just tired of needing to drill this so badly. She understood what they were going for, but it went against more than it helped.. Just as much as I do not need you beside me, as someone I know that I cannot trust any longer, this much she grated directly at Charon, showing the edges of her teeth.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She had, Hydra agreed aloud, and her gaze shifted to her father. Speedy will be removed from Moonspear, and while she is here, as an immediate consequence, she will become Omega. Hydra was sure her father would agree to that, given the fact that she had lied to three wolves within leadership with the exception of her father, given he had participated in, well, the truth of it. Hydra looked back to her mother as she spoke of Zafina's cubs, and nodded to that, too. Zafina had known they were not welcome here; so too did Speedy.

Hydra did realize, of course; she was as offended as her mother, for her honor and for much more. She had felt the same, and still did—at the end of the day, the lie had been given. It was up to them what do with it, and Hydra was keen to take it into her own hands. All will know their worth, mother. No one will not. They will be bastards the moment they are born. No one expects anything of you. We will all keep the whelps in their place. Speedy will not witness but will know of the fate she herself chose for her children, Hydra's ears flicked. And if they died, well, they died. They are not our family, despite carrying his blood. Our own family need not leave this reach, either, if you do not think that wise. We will find a way. The Wilderness will be ours, Hydra lifted her head a measure, looking into what might become the bigger picture. Truthfully, they did not need Speedy's children—but the beauty of it all was that if resources were limited, they would be the ones to suffer, to die, and their family would still be what it was.

Hydra nodded. Think on that much. It does not need to be an immediate decision. I think it has its merit, because Hydra was nothing if not sadistic in her ways of bringing others down when they wronged her. They would be lesser for all their life; that was the point. Hydra turned toward her father as her mother acknowledged him, and here she stepped to move to the center of them. Hydra was an equal balance of both, and Hydra exhaled a heavy breath as she regarded them.

That trust will take time to rebuild. But you, who I hope would become Queen Mother, or something of that effect, would be beside me. And father understands he has done wrong by us, she hummed. Her father would sit alongside their brother, or perhaps he did not wish to lead at all—she was not so sure—she continued on, And seeks now to rectify it. He will not make the same mistake again, if not by his own voilition, then by their final violent intervention. I understand forgiveness will not come swiftly. But for my children, I do wish for us to try to fix what has come between us, she looked to the two of them. I have supported you both for all of my life—I would do anything for you, for my brothers and sisters, Speedy's not among them, Will you try to do this for me? With me? Hydra's gaze moved from one wolf to the other. Who knew what the future would hold? While she was more on her mothers side than any other, what Hydra wanted most of all was to see if things could be fixed at all. It would be a step by step process, but perhaps her mother could be mollified by the idea of putting her teeth to Speedy as consequence, as she was Omega. Nothing would ever really placate Hydra, just as nothing would her mother, but the idea of a miserable lifetime for Speedy's lot was enough to keep the full extent of her wrath at bay.

For now.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Hydra went on to say a lot of things. One thing she said struck a chord, and Charon rectified; You cannot deny that they are family by my blood, even if their place will be lower. He stated this matter-of-factly, as if it was a small detail that she had erred on that he then corrected.

He still figured that they'd get over this eventually and would realise they needed Speedy, too, as loyal family friend. It'd all blow over, and the newest branch of their pack seemed like a good way to let Speedy catch a breather until it did.

'Just as much as I do not need you beside me, as someone I know I cannot trust.' What nonsense, in Charon's mind. He could not trust them, but that did not mean that he would give up on their mutual cause. That did not mean he stopped loving them. The entire plan revolved around the fact that they were together, that it was their family. Both of theirs. Would she really throw out the window over half a life time of success for something this petty?

With a sigh Charon said: I have already told you I yet love you and refuse to throw over half a lifetime of our work and life away. I understand you are angry, and do what you must to get over that, and then we must and will move forward. Charon looked coolly at Amekaze, figuring that his words would once more fall upon deaf ears. It was as if she did not want to understand. You may not think you need me any longer, but in order to make our legacy blossom, there needs to be an our. If our strength in family is what makes us strong and what will make Hydra reign supreme, it won't do to bicker among ourselves, as it will make us and our statement to the world appear weak and meaningless. The division in our family ends now. He decided that with all the confidence of someone who was still on top. Honestly, Amekaze needed to forgive him, or their future was meaningless. What use was it to say 'our family is the most important' and then ditch one of said family for making one mistake? That would only make them the laughing stock of all those lesser beings they said they were above. That would make everything he had worked for meaningless, and he would not let Amekaze throw away his life's work.

He then glanced at Hydra again and nodded. I know you will do us proud. And hopefully all this bickering could finally end now.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
In listening to Hydra, she found some matters that nearly sounded acceptable, and a less harsh beast may simply agree to end it there, that it was good enough and the balance was struck once again. That Speedy's lapse in judgement not be overlooked, that they would be bastards of no worth, and that the wilderness would be theirs one day. This much, she could subscribe herself to at least roughly, so came no objections to this one (all solid evidence on why it was safe to elevate Hydra, too, for her willingness to still respect her mother--unlike Ame's mate). There were a few revisions in her picture-perfect, true, but this was not against her grain so outright.

Charon's addenum to the situation did rub her the wrong way, however, so she would give one cold correction of her own: In truth, their place should not be here, unless it is dead in my teeth, she said, although she felt like she was repeating herself in sentiment with this. His blood did not equal hers when she had no say whatsoever. When neither of you bothered to answer to me before letting it happen, away from this mountain no less under the moronic guise of protection, that much was determined for them. Another very fair reminder that she was fully prepared to hold the careless actions of the two against anything of the union. She was being clear here, and for a vague and oftentimes suspicious sort, this was serious.

Hydra wanted them together in support of her, and true, that trust would take time to rebuild. Ideally, that was what she wanted to see happen as well--that none of this had ever come between them in the first place, but the more he spoke, the more she felt the certainty driving deep to her core that maybe her patience for him had finally expired. His words were empty, all built up only for him despite him stressing ours. It wasn't ours, to her, though, and he refused to see it as such while he would not accept otherwise from her. This sounded more and more like a way for him to have everything he wanted, while she was slighted and supposed to be appeased by him saying he loved her when his actions said everything but.

You telling me you love me suddenly means little when you have lied, disrespected me countless times, and caused such awful chaos in my family, and now want me to accept your bastards with the first opportunity you could get your greedy paws on, she offered, very little inflection her voice despite the cut to the words. Ice cold. So no, some liar's bastards are not what will make Hydra's reign strong, she glanced once to their daughter between them, wishing only for an instant that they could fix this for her sake--for all of their upcoming futures, for the beauty they had created between them and were meant to protect upon their towering verdant spire, together, uninterrupted, and as it had been--meant to pass on down the ages, divine and eternal.

But her heart was broken and he was what had done it. Him, the only one in this whole vast expanse of the world and the stars that she had found worthwhile once, and he just refused to stop making it worse even now that the damage was said and done. She had loved him. She had, and with the absolute assault on all of her patience and understanding that he had been in these weeks, she couldn't idle while he staunchly went against her like this. Not her, not Hydra, and not upon what was theirs. It could only cut so deep, even her.

Do what you must to get over that, then? she asked, brushing past Hydra featherlight and plenty close enough to touch; a wordless apology that she must be here, now. Ame slipped closer to Charon, angling for his sighted side so he may see her absolutely. What I want is to see you pay for it, was her only warning before she turned her teeth for him with her quick, deadly fury, aiming herself at his neck or face to force him down if she could get any contact made.