Lion Head Mesa Dangerous objects
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
All Welcome 
For whoever from Ursus who feels like greeting Slate. @Merrick is tagging along. Feel free to tag whoever you think might want to join this thread.

Merrick talked very little on their walk deeper into the territory. Which was fine with Slate as she was carrying plants, wrapped in a dried leaf and couldn't talk. The older woman followed Merrick by not walking completely behind him but somewhat next to him, but keeping her distance out of courtesy. She felt uneasy and wondered if this was all a trick, if this all was a way to lead her into her untimely death, it wouldn't surprise her if that was his intention. Any maniac who believed in bear gods were truly mad after all.

She had decided to follow him regardless, decided to look past the whole spiritual aspect, it wasn't for her, but he and the rest of Ursus were free to believe whatever they wanted. When Merrick stopped, she stopped. She waited for a few moments to see whatever or not he was going to continue, but when she felt certain they had "arrived" at whatever destination he had set out for them she put her make-shift pouch on the ground. She opened it carefully and then she smiled.

Everything was there, intact. The more dangerous and exquisite items were there as well. She sat down in front of her pouch and waited for Merrick to speak or call someone, or whatever they were doing here. Slate looked at her dangerous items within her pouch and chuckled lightly. She touched each object with a fine delicacy that was rare for her. She was an odd one herself, so what if they believed in bears? She believed in life and death of the plants. "I brought something."

She was smiling. She pointed at red berries within the pouch. "Daphne berries. These are poisonous. Upon contact with skin they will cause itching, sometimes inflammation. And sometimes temporary blindness." She looked at Merrick her smile widening. Oh she might never have been to war, but she knew of weapons alright. Did Merrick think the same way as she did?
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
the bear man had not left them in the night. satsu had seen him prowling the mesa from time to time between her duties, such as now, though this time he was not alone.
with a motion she dismissed tamar back to the catacombs, content with being alone as she investigated, and made way across her own land to where the two wolves conversed.
satsu heard the stranger speak of those berries. they did not look much different from those that pharaoh kept for his indulgences; but the effects sounded far different.
she wondered what it was these wolves of ursus had planned - and as she rounded the corner, approached merrick and his companion with a cool confidence.
our preparations are nearly complete, speaking directly to the widower, choosing to ignore the other for the time being, as they seemed subservient.
my servant tells me that your people have arrived, made camp. do they need anything? i will send someone with supplies.
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"you might send that crow child to us. she's a teacher." merrick indicated slate, but his misshapen glare was for the woman who had interrupted their travel into botany.
the bear remained incensed by how the snowpelt pharaoh had spoken to him. that this queen kept company with him was reason enough for merrick to disdain her in his heart.
poison. 
recaptured once more, the bearwolf slowly lowered his head until his single eye could see all details of the berries. "crowfeather tells me that you are making plans. for the war." he lifted his head to fix satsu with a stabbing look.
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
Someone else arrived, she had been prepared for that. She watched as this blue-eyed female came forward and stopped her lessons in botany. Merrick mostly seemed annoyed with her explanation and so she chose to stop talking. She didn't want to talk to deaf ears or disinterested ones. She carefully wrapped her items up again and said nothing. Was this all some big mistake? Was she in over her head with this war that was brewing? She had never seen war, she had seen some things as a loner, but never enough to call it war.

She had kept to herself for so long she had forgotten the feeling of talking with others and she held her tongue. She knew when she was appreciated, and now was not it. She may have seemed occupied with wrapping her things back up, but she paid attention to what was being said. From what she gathered with the talk of "your people" and "our" they were not of the same pack. This blue-eyes female must be from Akashingo, that Merrick at spoken of.

Slate knew that now was not her time to speak. She did not like being ignored as if she wasn't present at all, but the female did ignore her completely. She flicked her ear lightly to see if anyone else was listening, or coming closer, but it didn't seem to be the case for the moment. Preparations were being made, whatever they consisted of. Slate felt left out, but spoke not out of turn. She knew how much that could get her in trouble from the past. Instead she listened.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
the one-eyed man spoke of crowfeather.
perhaps in sending him among the ursus wolves he could be further utilized, made to feel valuable. satsu would give it some thought. it would also bring akashingo closer to the nanban and his people which could be a positive shift, as well. unless the wolves of ursus were truly more like the saints; satsu was conflicted in the moment, though her expression did not change.
yes, i hope to be of use somehow. i cannot expect the people of akashingo to fight for this land, or for their masters, without somehow proving myself to them.
this was perhaps the wrong sentiment to share, but satsu did not know. she had not yet been crowned queen. her knowledge of how to act came chiefly from pharaoh at this point; she was a watered-down version of his gregariousness.
glancing to the dark woman beside merrick now, she saw the bundle of plants which had been arranged together, alighting upon the berries, and noticing the subtle stains to the woman's coat, likely from her harvesting.
a teacher? what is your name, miss kyōshi?
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
skippable!

merrick only grunted in answer, a low, slithering sound. she had not come to tell them they were to march immediately upon the saints. this woman had only words. 
merrick had earned his place at the helm of ursus through blood and through terror. she had neither.
the bearwolf approved of how she treated slate, however. his one eye remained haunted with mistrust, but he was silent now. merrick also wished to learn, and turned a glittering grin onto slate.
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
"yes, i hope to be of use somehow. i cannot expect the people of akashingo to fight for this land, or for their masters, without somehow proving myself to them."

Slate's eyes turned to the beautiful woman. It didn't take long for Slate to realize that this was likely one of the leaders of Akashingo. She had had the feeling earlier, but now it was confirmed. Slate had never been a leader or claimed to even come close to being one, so whatever or not this was a smart choice or wording wasn't within her knowledge. She kept quiet as she had nothing to add for the situation.

"a teacher? what is your name, miss kyōshi?" Miss what? Slate looked at the female with a blank expression. She didn't know what she was just called, good or bad? She decided to ignore it. "Slate." For a silent moment Slate didn't say anything, then like an after thought she added: "Ma'am" Talking to people sure was hard. She looked down at her things in a shy moment, she didn't know what this woman wanted of her. It made her uncomfortable to not know the situation more clearly.

Merrick was quiet and she took a quick glance at him. He was grinning at her. Slate's tail fell a little and her shoulder hunched lightly. She was not comfortable around these people, but less so of Merrick. She had chosen to follow him and she kept wondering what that would entitle.

"What is your name?" Cheeky? Perhaps. But she did not like giving out her own name without one in return. Slate and Merrick's relation was based on mistrust at the very moment. The female didn't have to be the same. Maybe they could become - trusted?
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
it was refreshing to have another wolf among their number, even temporarily, and equally pleasant that it was a woman. satsu regarded the gray-hewn stranger a moment while digesting the simple but appropriate name they carried.
watashi ushiyo-desu, her answer would only further confuse the untraveled girl but it was for merrick's benefit, and satsu's own, as she studied them both.
i am the queen ascendant of akashingo, you may call me satsu if you wish.
though it was usually more appropriate to give her first name to those close to her, not just run of the mill recruits or members of rival factions, satsu did not covet her name in the traditional sense of her people.
i am sure our visiting healer would love a chance to speak with you. his name is crowfeather; he is as the name implies, sharp and dark. that was invitation enough to the girl. she could find crowfeather at her own convenience and they could exchange lessons.
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
"watashi ushiyo-desu," Slate decided to ignore the words. It was probably best to not look like a completely moron and ask what it all meant. It seemed like some sort of greeting.

"i am the queen ascendant of akashingo, you may call me satsu if you wish." Oh? Slate's expression didn't change for the moment, but she did wonder. A queen with a lovely name, and also a very charming personality. The blue-eyed queen seemed to have it all. Either she was a fool or a very lovable queen. Maybe both? One did not rule out the other. Slate instinctively liked her though, more than she did most people. Maybe because she seemed like a naïve fool, in need of protection, maybe because she spoke like a true queen without being far above her and Merrick.

"Satsu." She tasted the name, tried it on her own tongue and finally she relaxed a little. She stood straight instead of hunching over or seem shy. Though it wasn't the case it could be perceived as such. She wasn't a big wolf, rather slender and a bit on the thin side for now, but she stood as tall as she actually was to show some confidence.

"i am sure our visiting healer would love a chance to speak with you. his name is crowfeather; he is as the name implies, sharp and dark." She nodded. She would like to speak to another healer, it was always good to get information of new territories and their plants. He could prove useful to her and her learning. It was never too late to learn.

"I will be happy to speak to him. And if you ever need anything, call for me." This was probably the nicest she had ever been to anyone, and she blinked slightly, not sure why she was being so nice. For a change it felt. Easy.. How peculiar.
Ghost
550 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Advisor
Mediator
their conversation came to a natural conclusion.

satsu felt no need to linger; but she dislike the dismissal feeling that the end gave, and so she did not leave immediately.

her eyes went to merrick again.

ramesses calls for you, and the roman. perhaps tonight you can come to his chambers and speak with him. i know that words are nothing next to your desire and right for this war, but it is his request.

at the very least it would put the generals in one place; whether merrick welcomed this or not, satsu turned soon enough and strode back the way she had come, tamar receiving her at the gap leading in to the mesa, to the palace.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick looked at satsu. the morass of scars shifted. he knew her words to be a summons, no matter how polite. the long name she had given. queen ascendant. he knew that he was the chosen of the bears and through he and the blackbird, this lineage belonged to their children.
she was gone before he said a word. not that he had meant to say anything. "this place is pretentious," he muttered to slate. 
the older woman had warmed to the queen. merrick wondered only what the gilded blood of her servant might taste like; how it might froth upon his tongue.
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
Gonna call this done!

"this place is pretentious," Slate flicked her ear toward Merrick and said nothing. Satsu had left with a few words to Merrick and Slate wanted to say something, wanted to tell him off somehow. Tell him how wrong he was. But she dared not speak against him. She feared him not just because he looked scarred, but because of the way he looked at her from time to time. She couldn't put her finger on it, but it felt wrong.

"I better get settled with the others" She collected her things again and stood ready to leave. She followed Merrick toward the camp of Ursus, where she would place her items at an empty spot and settle herself with her things.