Noctisardor Bypass I'll keep a light on in my soul
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
All Welcome 
Backdated a little, maybe? Liquid time is going to have to be very liquid-y.

Lane had to follow @Tuuluuwaq's lead to Rivenwood, because as friendly as she was with Mahler, she had never ventured all the way out to the Bypass to see his home. It was regrettable that her first visit had to come by way of such misfortune. 

Grim as the situation was, it was difficult for Lane to remain serious. When Atautsikut had emptied out of the Glacier, she thought she might feel sad, but instead she was filled with a springy lightness that had yet to dissipate. For roughly two weeks, her wolves would be on the road, fractured into small travelling groups that would take care of themselves. For two weeks, there would be no decisions to make, no children to manage, and no wolves to depend on her. She and Tuuluuwaq could finally court in peace.

For the billionth time, Tuuluuwaq looked over and caught Lane staring at him, and she flicked her gaze away quickly, suppressing a guilty smile. Maybe it was over-indulgent of her, to allow herself to travel alone with Tuuluuwaq instead of managing a larger group of travelers, but she couldn't help but feel like they had earned this. 

They reached the remnants of a border, and Lane halted. She fixed Tuuluuwaq with an uncertain look. Were the Rivenwood wolves so incapacitated that they couldn't manage to refresh their border? ..That wasn't good.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Druid and @Witch stuck close together as they walked around the bypass’s perimeter, marking every so often and shooting vigilant glances into the surrounding wilderness. She supposed they should eventually split up to cover more ground, yet by silent agreement, neither sister was quite ready for that yet.

When they came across a pair of wolves on the north side, Druid threw a gentle elbow at Witch and pointed, only to realize, I know them. That’s Lane, the Alpha of Duskfire Glacier… She blinked uncertainly. Wait here, she commanded Witch.

Lane, Druid greeted when she approached, dipping her head to the woman who’d saved her life. What brings you here?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu also found it difficult to be too serious as they traveled to Rivenwood. Of course, he felt awful for Mahler and his wolves, but he was finally alone with Lane, and it was hard to think about anything but that. 

He caught her looking at him often, even though she would quickly look away anytime she was caught. The Tatkret would only smile or lightly chuckle in response. She could stare at him for as long as she wanted; he never minded being the center of her focus. 

When they arrived at Rivenwood, Tuulu could tell immediately that something was off. The scents on the borders were old; that had not been the case the last time he was here—even healing from an attack, the pack had maintained the borders. 

He met her uncertain look with concern on his own face. He worried something bad had happened since his visit here. 

He felt some relief when he saw Druid approaching; she seemed unharmed. Her question was asked to Lane, though, so he refrained from saying anything and chose to keep a silent guard at her side.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
They were met soon by a pair that appeared to be the border patrol. Lane wagged her tail as the familiar girl approached. Druid looked better; she was glad to see her former patient on the mend. 

"Hey, Druid. We were just dropping in to say goodbye, actually. Duskfire Glacier is now unclaimed land. Our wolves are traveling west, to the hinterlands. We will call ourselves Atautsikut, once we land." Lane glanced to Tuuluuwaq, seeking confirmation that she had pronounced the new name correctly. Although her affection for her Northerner deepened with every passing day, the northern language still alluded her.

"Honestly, I felt really bad that I couldn't come help out myself, when Duskfire Glacier was here last." Of course, a lot of that had to do with the dying girl who had been discovered on Duskfire's doorstep. In the moment, Lane had been forced to choose between Druid, who definitely needed her help, and the rest of Rivenwood, who may or may not have been in need.

"I heard Mahler was hurt. I wanted to see if he was up to talking, or if there was anything I could do to help while I was still on this side of the Sunspires." Lane doubted that the alliance could be viably maintained with two mountain chains separating Duskfire Glacier and Rivenwood, so she considered the offer to be a parting gesture.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Lane explained that she had come to bid them farewell. Druid offered a small smile and a wave of her tail, though neither lasted long. Her mother and Laurel would likely want her to mention their need for help, though Druid refused to involve these wolves further. They were moving onto greener pastures, and good for them.

You need to leave, Druid said, aware that she might come across as rude. She owed Lane a great debt and she wanted to repay them by urging them away from the danger zone. Speaking lowly and quickly, she explained, Mahler and Wylla abandoned us. If my mother or Laurel knew you were here, they would drag you into a war with Ursus, the pack that raided us. I don’t want that.

She paused, meeting Lane’s eyes and begging her to understand the situation. Thank you for everything you guys have done. It’s up to us now. We have a plan. Druid took a breath and concluded, Go, now. Goodbye. And good luck.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
He smiled and nodded at Lane when she silently asked if she pronounced Atautsikut properly. He knew she still struggled some with the northern tongue, but he never got tired of hearing her speak his language. 

He hated hearing that Lane felt guilty about not going to Rivenwood herself; it was beyond her control, and she couldn't be everywhere all the time. 

After Lane explained why they were there and offered help before they left, Druid answered in a way that had the Tatkret lifting his eyebrows in surprise. She was telling them to leave?

Then she went on to explain that Mahler and his mate had abandoned the pack. Tuulu found the news disconcerting. He didn't understand how a leader could desert his pack at a time like this. 

Druid wanted them to leave before the remaining women realized they were here. She said they would ask for help in whatever they were planning against Ursus. Tuulu was very conflicted. How many of you are left? he asked, ignoring her words meant to rush them away.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Abandoned by Mahler? A war with Ursus? Lane did not like any of what she was hearing. Druid's warning made her nervous, and she shifted her weight back, subconsciously shrinking away. She might have done exactly and Druid instructed and beat it, if Tuuluuwaq hadn't been here to ground her. 

He asked a good question, and Lane waited to hear the answer. If there weren't even enough wolves left to properly maintain a border, how could they possibly have enough to go to war? Even the best plan in the world couldn't turn the tides in their favor, could it?
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
601 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Rather than heed her blunt warning, Lane’s man broke his silence. Only then did she acknowledge him with a glance, though her face remained expressionless. She did not reply.

Please, Druid said, once more looking into Lane’s eyes, leave. She then tore her own away and left, trotting to rejoin Witch and urging her sister deeper into Rivenwood. She glanced back, but only once, briefly, before vanishing into the bypass.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
The girl was stubborn, stupidly so. She was likely condemning whatever was left of their pack to death. But he would not help where it wasn't wanted. It would mean risking his life as well as the other wolves of Atautsikut. Nothing about this situation was easy. 

The girl left after another plea to Lane for her to leave. Tuulu was stunned. He turned to Lane then. I think we should go. He didn't want to put Lane in anymore danger, and there was no changing the girls mind clearly.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Before Lane could even respond to the news, Druid turned and left. 

"Druid, I'm..." 

"Druid, I'm sorry that happened. Please know there is a place for you in Atautsikut. You do not have to go to war." Lane would not get to say the rest of it, because Druid had already padded away. She watched helplessly after the girl, torn between competing desires to race after her and flee in the opposite direction. 

She turned to Tuuluuwaq. He thought they should go, and Lane could only nod, unable to speak for the lump in her throat. This was not the sweet, wistful farewell she had expected. This was tragic. 

As they walked away from the border, Lane finally found her voice. "I know Mahler, and I don't think we have the whole story. This doesn't sit right with me. I wish we knew where he's gone, so we could get to the bottom of this." She shook her head. Maybe they should just stay out of everything and count themselves lucky that Druid had been the one to find them and warn them away. Atautsikut had enough troubles as it was.
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel was out for a shamble around because sitting still wasn't her cup of tea in these dire circumstances, even though her shoulder limited her ability to move much. When she heard hushed voices in the distance, she couldn't help but check it out. Her pace was slow as her wounded shoulder stopped her from moving too fast.

Wait! Hopeful ears parked forward as she happened upon two wolves just walking away from their borders. Druid's scent was still heavy on the borders; they must've just met with her. Not new recruits, it smelled like, but wolves of an established pack. Laurel's eyes lit up with hope as she approached and asked them, if they'd head her request to wait, Are you here to help us get the children back? Unaware of the content of the conversation with Druid.

if you don't wanna continue this then let me know and i can edit it to include them walking away or her being too late or something <3
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu was eager to put space between them and Rivenwood, and he walked protectively at Lane's side as they turned from the borders. She said Mahler didn't seem like the type to leave. He seemed pretty defeated when I was here last, the Tatkret offered. But it does seem a little off. It had been clear that Mahler cared for his wolves, so to just leave them during a time like this felt weird. 

They hadn't got very far away before he heard a voice asking them to wait. Tuulu stopped and turned to see a woman of grey and white. She asked if they had come to help them get their kidnapped children back. 

He walked closer to the woman and offered a nod in greeting. I am Tuuluuwaq and this is Lane. He nodded in her direction. We are from Duskfire Glacier. Lane is one of the leaders. We actually came to let Rivenwood know that we are leaving the glacier. Lane and I are the last of the pack left here; the rest left before us. Our new home is on the other side of the second mountain range to the west.

As for the children, he didn't know the answer to that. The girl that was here before warned us to leave and not get involved.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Tuuluuwaq agreed with Lane that something was off. "It's just weird and shady," Lane continued, "..that Mahler and Wylla would up and leave, and then Druid would warn us away like that. I definitely think there's a missing piece--" 

The newcomer's voice cut in, and the pair halted. The woman asked about the children, and Lane wilted a bit. That was a hard question, and she didn't immediately know what to say. On one paw, Duskfire Glacier and Rivenwood were allied... but on the other paw, neither Duskfire Glacier nor Rivenwood existed anymore. The friendship shared by Wintersbane and Mahler was no more. Did Atautsikut really owe it to these strangers to risk their necks for them? 

Tuuluuwaq stepped in, thankfully. He provided a long explanation of their identities, which Lane hoped was a ploy to derail the woman's train of thought. He leaned hard on the "we're leaving, we're so far away" stuff, which Lane appreciated. It would make it easier to equivocate if the woman asked them directly for their help. 

Then Tuuluuwaq took it a smidge too far, revealing Druid's warning to them. Lane's heart leapt into her throat. She was very smitten with Tuuluuwaq, but God bless him, sometimes he could be such a Tatkret. In her experience, the Tatkrets were honest and straightforward to a fault, sometimes missing the subtleties of certain situations. 

Lane didn't want Tuuluuwaq's honesty to make trouble for Druid, who was only trying to help them. Lane stepped forward, clearing her throat abruptly end Tuuluuwaq's turn speaking. 

"The girl was just a wandering loner," Lane lied quickly, trying to cover for Druid. "We asked about Rivenwood-- what happened, where you had gone-- but she didn't know anything. She took off and advised us to do the same." Lane shrugged, hoping that was enough for the woman to dismiss the mention of "the girl." 

"I'm a medic, and while we were in the neighborhood I wanted to see if Mahler needed any help with patching you all up. But when we didn't catch his scent-- or any scent-- back at the bypass, we were confused..." Lane trailed off, looking to the woman questioningly. How would she explain Mahler's absence?
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The man spoke first, and it irked Laurel that he would be the one to introduce them, but she kept a pleasant smile on her face. He introduced them as Lane and Tuuluuwaq, and Laurel nodded. I'm Laurel, she returned with a nod. It was a strange story, all in all. Tuuluuwaq said that the girl that had spoken to them told them she didn't know anything and told them to stay away. Laurel was certain that she had smelled Druid's scent thick on the borders near here. She must've been nearby. It seemed unlikely some stranger that was now nowhere to be seen had been the one to talk to these wolves. Laurel could not help but feel suspicious in her gut, but she didn't say anything about it; instead, merely smiled politely while they finished speaking.

Then she said, We were attacked, raided, and some of our children have been taken by Ursus, the pack living to the south. That's why I asked... I thought that you might've spoken to one of our few remaining members. I must've been mistaken, my apologies. She smiled pleasantly, even though she didn't trust the situation — there was no use being suspicious of these strangers, now. She had nothing now, so the worst outcome wasn't any worse than where she was now.

They had asked about Mahler. Laurel didn't like talking about him, but she told them, Mahler is gone. Laurel felt a cold twist in her heart as she said it, and her expression fell to a sorrowful one that was genuine. She didn't realise how it sounded a though he had perished when she said it. In a way, perhaps he had, in her heart. We are few now, that's why we need our allies to get the children back. They're in danger every day. I heard that Duskfire was moving. Ursus isn't large. I understand it's a lot to ask, and you don't have to answer right away, but now that you're still here... If you have any warriors at all that could help us, we actually stand a chance to save them. With a pang, she thought to Wintersbane. He was no longer Duskfire's leader now. Was he still around at all? Laurel knew that Sequoia had said she didn't intend to ask any men for help, but while her life had made her despise most men, Laurel also knew that they had their uses. Is Wintersbane still with you? He's... Laurel hesitated visibly before she finally admitted, They're his children. Maybe if he was with them still, they could at least tell him. Laurel remembered Wintersbane as a strong wolf. Perhaps he could have his uses in the war against Ursus if he heard his children were in danger.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Laurel told them of the raid, of which they already knew. But he didn't interrupt her. Clearly she didn't remember when his group had been here helping them before. She had likely been too traumatized, and he could definitely understand that.

But duskfire had suffered a lot of hardship lately; they deserved a break—Lane deserved a break. Not to mention they were moving very far away, and helping would require them to send wolves to live here for the duration of this conflict. He was reminded of how upset Lane had been the last time they were separated. That had been difficult for them both, and the northerner did not want to go through that again. Nor did he want Lane involved in a war with some crazy wolves who were deranged enough to steal children. 

I am not sure that is a decision we can make for the pack without speaking to everyone, he told her. It felt too selfish to tell her no outright, and that wasn't even his choice to make. 

When Laurel mentioned the former glacier alpha and asked if he was still with them, Tuulu looked to Lane. The Tatkret had never known the man and did not feel right delivering the news of his death.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
The woman revealed herself to be Laurel, which was the name of the woman whose pups had been taken. Lane's heart went out to her. 

She did not elaborate on Mahler's departure. Lane was still suspicious of the general lack of transparency around the situation. Who was Ursus? Who was Mahler? Who was Laurel, and who were her children? How were they all connected? Laurel presented it as a straight forward issue: Rivenwood were the blameless victims, and Ursus were the pupnapping, evil bad guys, who had just randomly up-and-stolen two kids with zero provocation. Mahler was the cowardly deserter. Lane didn't buy it. If there was one thing she had learned while dipping her toe into an Ambassador's role, it was that no political issue was ever as black-and-white as this. 

Tuuluuwaq spoke again, his words equivocal. Lane appreciated that. She knew he likely did not approve of her lie, but she was grateful that he rolled with it. She nodded along. "I'll speak with my co-alpha, Issorartuyok. Maybe there is some way we can offer aid, but the thing is.. Duskfire doesn't have warriors. We're a peaceful people, founded by herbalisits and medics..." 

The revelation about Wintersbane immediately halted Lane's train of thought. She'd known that he was prolific last season, but to have fathered children in three different packs..? Lane felt suddenly dirty, knowing she was one of so many conquests. She had never expected to find this strange connection to Laurel and Rivenwood, and she was dumbfounded. 

"Wintersbane, he-- you didn't know? We sang his death songs.. We thought Rivenwood was in earshot..." Lane stammered out. About halfway through speaking, she managed to recovered herself. "I'm so sorry.. Wintersbane is gone from this world." After a long moment, she spoke again. "He also fathered children in Sapphique. They live in the cliffs, on the northwestern coast. Their other parent is named Zephyr." Lane let the information hang. She chose not reveal that her own children were also half-siblings to the ones that were taken. She was still processing the information, and something within her sensed that her children's connection to Wintersbane could spell danger for them.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Lane and Tuuluuwaq said that they would have to discuss with the pack. Laurel nodded. It made sense that they couldn't pledge their help right here, right now. Of course, she said with a nod. Thank you for considering it. She knew that she had little ground to stand on asking for help. She knew that there would be many who'd blame her for the monster Merrick had become. Laurel wished she could show them the truth, show them the past — show them how Merrick had murdered her sister, who genuinely loved him and cared for him. But she knew that many did not see it that way. Wylla was the living proof of that.

Laurel didn't feel much when Lane informed her of Wintersbane's death, though she had missed the howls for his departure. Lane informed Laurel of other children that he had fathered. Laurel said, He didn't know about Indra and Abel. He said he wanted to know about them, but I never told him. Laurel thought back to the harrowing moments in which she'd known Wintersbane. She had felt so humiliated. She'd never known him as a person. Perhaps it was for the better that she was dead. Sequoia would have something to say about Laurel requesting aide from the father of her children.

Thanks, Laurel repeated, though the word came out a little broken, For considering. We can use all the help we can get. She looked at them through emotion-riddled, watery eyes as she said it and thought once more of Abel and Indra, while she waited for them to take their leave.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
As surprised and irked he was to be pulled into a lie, especially when he didn't know why he was lying, he hated the way Lane's voice sounded as she spoke of Wintersbane and his passing. He wished she never had to speak of it again, but he knew that wasn't reasonable. He also couldn't just stand there idly while she was upset. So he shifted closer so their shoulder's touched, hoping to offer her some comfort. 

Laurel didn't have much of a reaction to the news; she only revealed to them that she had never told Wintersbane of his children in Rivenwood. Tuulu would never say this out loud, but his opinion of the former leader was not so great after hearing how many litters he had fathered. The man didn't even know he had children here; how many other children did he have that he never met? It was not an honorable way to conduct himself. Children were special and meant to be had with a mate, someone who was your partner. He supposed it was a moot point now. 

Laurel thanked them, although all they had done was agree to talk to Isso. Tuulu was respectful regardless. Of course, he told her. I am sorry about Indra and Abel; I hope they can be brought home soon. He wasn't sure what else to say about it because he wasn't sure they would even get involved. Lane had a point: they were a peaceful pack and had few warriors. They had no business getting involved in a war.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
He said he wanted to know about them. 

Laurel would have know way of knowing how profoundly this statement would affect Lane. Wintersbane had made the same request of her; that he be allowed to know his children. He asked that she stay, and give him the chance to raise them. Lane had granted his request, despite own misgivings. 

Lane swallowed heavily. What if she had simply disregarded Wintersbane's request and done as she pleased, like Laurel apparently had? What if she had chosen differently, and she could have passed on all those months she had felt trapped in Duskfire Glacier, all the angst she had felt and the trouble that the pack had caused her? She could have taken her kids far away, and they could have grown up somewhere without suicide and famine, without having to lose their father. Without that hideous scar that Tzila's bitch daughter had given Veteran.

Lane turned from her. Tuuluuwaq's sentiment spoke for the both of them. She pressed her muzzle into his shoulder, as if through it she could siphon his emotional strength. 

Laurel looked like she might cry, so Lane and Tuuluuwaq would grant her some privacy. They departed quickly from the borderlands, silent until they were far out of earshot. Only then would they begin to discuss what they had learned in hushed, worried tones.