an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
Private 
set whenever!

germanicus scrubbed the smell of maggie's bedchamber and the wafting slime of the pharaoh's breath from his fur. his movements were grim in the tepid water flowing sluggishly beneath the mesa. 

when he had finished, the man shook out his silver pelt and began his search for @Crowfeather

it had been ten days and he did not know what he might say.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The silver eagle's scent had filled the air, lingering like something he could have conjured with wishes. When Crowfeather had captured the smell of the man, he had almost laughed. When the fragrance hadn't faded, the dark wolf had slipped into delirium. 

Weary and haggard on his paws, Crowfeather searched, hunting with the glow of his dull yellow gaze until he landed on the soldier's face. Relief washed through him like a wave of salty water. 

Germanicus, the shadow breathed shakily.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
suddenly crowfeather was before him. germanicus was visibly nonplussed for a moment before he recovered himself.

the younger wolf was strained. exhausted. he carried the biting fragrance of herbs the eagle did not recognize.

"the saints intend to move against akashingo again. they will kill pharaoh and all who follow him."

he did not name satsu.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
When Germanicus spoke, it was to deliver his report.

Crowfeather did not know what he had expected or why his mind had constructed a million different ways their reunion could have played. It was not like he could be disappointed. After all, it was the shadow who had built their relationship into more than it was. Germanicus was not to be held accountable for that.

Wh- what does this mean? For us…

The word us cracked in the back of his throat. Crowfeather wondered if Germanicus still had no regrets. The dark wolf wondered if their time apart had granted the silver eagle a new sense of resolve.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus drew a breath.

"i do not know, crowfeather."

it was a hard admission. the eagle's jaw was taut. he turned away, observing some detail of the inner caves or another.

"i think perhaps i am compelled to remain here, for the sake of the caldera and brecheliant."

the watchful eyes were filled now with some wordless emotion.

"what do you wish to do?"
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The shadow shuffled uneasily at Germanicus’ admission. His dark paws moved as though he did not know what to do with them, they were strange on his figure, they did not belong there.

Thankfully, the older man continued to say that he felt compelled to remain in Akashingo for the sake of Brecheliant and the Redhawk Caldera wolves. Something in Crowfeather spiked – fear, jealousy, anxiety – and he peered at Germanicus with owlish eyes.

What did Crowfeather wish to do?

I do not wish to separate again. The words were final, firm bordering quavering. This was not the answer that Germanicus would have wanted. B-but I am- I am not good with these matters, Germanicus. My home is so different from these lands, from these wolves… the shadow fixed his sights on his front paws.

I will stay with you. Wherever it is you will go.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it was not the desired answer. and yet it was a pledge that had never wavered.

the imperator would grant crowfeather the respect of not questioning his choice. "very well. you will be beside me for whatever might happen here."

germanicus allowed himself to look finally at crowfeather, with a gaze that held a moment and did not deviate.

"our goal is to consolidate power through alliances in the days to come."the eagle eased into the smooth tone he used for detailing an exercise or intention.

and yet he was not in the least unaware of the shadow's nearness, or how the renewed loyalty had thrummed a moment in his veins.

"we must built akashingo's defenses. the war must come to us. we do not invite it."
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The older man did not question his statement. Crowfeather grew bold underneath the gaze of the watchful eagle’s eye, burning with restlessness despite his tired frame.

Was that it? Had they found a way to return to the way they had been before-

Crowfeather thought of Maggie and his stomach lurched. The jealousy he had once felt for her had been swept away by the pool of blood at her skull, the senseless babbling she had offered him while he tended to her wounds, the way he had thought of letting her die. That did not matter, he couldn’t allow it. Germanicus had returned to the mesa and the dark wolf knew he must be grateful for that.

How can I help, Germanicus? To build the defenses. I have told Pharaoh- I told him if you decided to stay to help, that I- I could heal or at least try my best to heal any of his wolves who might be injured. The dark wolf blinked hurriedly and fixed his gaze on the older man. Are we really meant to wait for them to attack us? His stomach tossed with fear.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
they were speaking now. germanicus felt as if something between them had changed.

he moved toward the shadow under guise of quieting their voices.

crowfeather had spoken to pharaoh. the eagle felt again that he should not have left the shadow alone here. no courts were without their intrigue, and that egyptian throve upon it.

"we do not know their number. we do not know where they might reside. the land here is flat. a sentry can see for miles. we are all of us safer at the mesa than trying to discover where the saints keep their nest."

and yet he did not wish to be here. he wished to be traveling toward the broken stone and what might lay in the caverns beneath. and he meant to do these things with crowfeather.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I do not like it, the shadow admitted.

Sitting on the mesa in wait for their enemy felt like something foolish, but Crowfeather did not know better. He had never experienced the art of warfare. It was Germanicus who would know their best course of action, the best plan for their defenses and then possible attack. They were against odds, the seer felt. He worried that they might not step away from the warzone without suffering greatly.

And yet… the closeness that had been brought by the older man was shocking to Crowfeather’s system. He could feel his heart hammer in his throat. Warmth spilled through his belly and lapped at his legs.

Do we have enough warriors here? To defend if they attack… or watch for them to appear? The shadow’s eyes were wide, fixed on the eagle’s face.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus regarded crowfeather for a moment. he had not thought the other a tactician. normally the eagle would not have taken to criticism of his plan without proper and detailed merit. 

but the shadow was not so common to him. he was silent a moment more, and then held crowfeather's eyes for one longer. "what plan of action would you make?" 

his voice was hushed. germanicus allowed himself the gratitude and guilt in waves, that he should be allowed close once more.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The dark wolf had not anticipated that Germanicus would heed his words. So, when the silver eagle regarded him, Crowfeather gawked. Had he struck his handsome head in the time he had been away? Was the older man confused? It was not really the place of a runaway yearling to state what they should do to prepare for war, he realized quickly enough.

Nevertheless, Crowfeather did not wish to disappoint his companion.

Akashingo needs warriors. The borders should be touched each hour, fresh scents, different scents, so that if the Saints sneak near to it, they will think our numbers are large and our guards are diligent. Crowfeather felt himself burning with uncertainty, with the weight of sharing such things with Germanicus, who knew war and the art of preparation.

We need warriors, or- or- or a trick, something like poison in the meat of a gift. A spy who can relay their plans to us. His voice faded to nothing as he realized just how childish these last two suggestions sounded.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus lifted his chin in a hushed agreement. "you will make a list of who might be in this number." with this, they might begin to organize these patrols. "and we will need a spy." he did not know who this could be, only that he would not allow it to be crowfeather.

it was something he might choose to do himself. but he did not say this for now.

"i would like to spar with you one evening. it may become necessary." the eagle meant this, but the conception of sharing such a space with the shadow once more comforted him.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Germanicus agreed. Crowfeather looked at him, unblinking, as the soldier remarked that the seer would need to create a list of wolves who would suit their needs – warriors – and that they would need a spy. At once, the inky creature was shaken by impulse to volunteer himself. He thought it would look admirable to the silver eagle. It was not a good enough reason to sacrifice his life, however, so his tongue was held fast.

The man went on to say that he wished for them to spar.

Crowfeather shuffled his paws quietly before he nodded his head.

Yes, Germanicus. Anything you wish, his breath quaked.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
a singular and clear want rose in germanicus, the longing for a single thing.

he did not speak it. he did not act upon it. "i must go and speak to pharaoh now." he would carry word of their planning to the insolent ruler, if only so that ramesses could not say he did not know.

afterward, germanicus wished to call on the shadow again, but again, he said nothing.
Loner
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Germanicus was to speak with Pharaoh, and he turned to leave.

‘… tell him he is wanted.’

Germanicus!

Crowfeather caught himself, horrified at what he nearly had asked the man to do. It was not the time to woo him, to lure him into a bed of pleasure that he wasn’t even certain he could perform. He felt foolish, standing there while the soldier needed to visit Pharaoh.

The seer shrunk slightly before he called after the eagle, I am glad you are back.

Crowfeather turned then to mull over their newfound plan and to consider wolves who would make acceptable warriors. All the while, he could not pull the gleam of yellow eyes from his mind. It warmed his belly like fat on the spit.