Redhawk Caldera we all sell our souls (sooner than later).
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
Having spent some time to cool down and think, Reyes now pined for home. He wanted to see his children and could think of no reason that would be denied to him; he needed to explain himself as best he knew how, which likely wouldn't amount to much, and to let them know he was alive and well. With heavy thoughts in his mind the young man departed his new home and moved south across the valley.

The heat was a bit much. He found it easier to take frequent breaks wherever he could find cover, which for a while wasn't very prolific, as he moved across the meadow. When the Bramblepoint came in to view he cut through a deer path towards it and lingered in the still-warm shadows until some time had passed. During the wait Reyes thought about what he could say; he didn't come up with much beyond I'm sorry and I can be better which he had already tried on Towhee.

Finally, he made it to the edge of the caldera. Reyes did not cross that line even though he deeply, deeply wanted to. He cast his head back and called out, knowing @Towhee would not hear him but maybe @Caracal, @Tierra, and @Sphyra would; let them lead the way, he thought. Then he sat there, waiting as patiently as he could.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,928 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"What are you doing here?"

Meerkat stood where she'd ground to a halt, about five yards behind Reyes. She had come to the caldera to check in with her mother and tell her about everything: Phox, Niamh, the kids. She imagined Towhee was pretty worried about her, she'd been gone so long, but surely the news would make her forget about that.

Nonetheless, she'd planned to stop at the borders and howl before entering, just to play it safe. She hadn't expected to find her mother's estranged mate here, doing the very same thing.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Barely a moment after he'd finished calling for his family, someone else arrived. They came from outside the borders; at first Reyes thought it was Niamh, not aware of her current state of being dead on account of his life choices. He was vaguely happy to see his aunt until the wolf drew closer, and he realized it was Meerkat.

What are you doing here? As if that needed to be asked.

I'm here to see my family, Reyes states flatly, sounding much more level-headed than the last time they'd talked. He still felt deeply derisive of himself, but he had made a promise to Towhee that he'd always be there, even if she couldn't see the value in that right now.

I need to talk to Towhee. So that she'd know, without a doubt, that Reyes would always be nearby. Maybe they could hash out a visitation schedule — or better yet, maybe he could come home. Enough time had passed that they could both look on the situation objectively and with cooler heads, or so Reyes believed.
The Phoenix General
180 Posts
Ooc — Cheeto

"Can I help you two with somethin'?"

The Tundrian barked out from a distance, just as he was catching up to see which strangers had just arrived at the Caldera's borders. Though it soon turned out that these strangers weren't much of strangers afterall....or were they?

Both of the scents that drafted from the outside were vaguely farmiliar, but not farmiliar enough for Ignis to slap a face and a name next to them right away. One of them -- a young girl with light and dirty blonde fur stood in the near distance, and he could've sworn he'd recognized her from passing. Not just from the Caldera -- but from a distant memory as well. Even still, they were virtually unrecognizable for the present.

Another was a red man that stood some distance infront of the young woman, and they were red -- red as hell. It was the perfect word to describe what visually stook out the most about him, but again, it was the scent that veered off of them he was most concerned about. No memory had stuck completely to it yet, but it did manage to make his fur bristle just a bit -- so suddenly that Āzon didn't even realize it at first. Was his gut trying to make him remember something important?

The brute said nothing else as he stood there, only waited for some names, an introduction -- something. Anything that would explain this weird feeling he was having....

The Pheonix General
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
DADDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY

Tierra didn't tell Towhee about the call since, the moment she heard it, she just immediately took off for the direction. But anyone within a 3 mile radius likely would easily hear her ear-splitting shriek.

DADDYYYDADDYYYDADDYYYYYYY

Little legs churning in a spring and tail whipping like a windmill, the girl torpedoed towards Reyes with complete disregard for anyone else there. If someone tried to stop her they'd have to a) catch her and b) put up with the monstrous shrieking that would likely result from waylaying her.
-Signing.- | Speaking. | -Signing & speaking.-
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,928 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She'd warned him to stay away, far away. But why would Reyes listen to her? She remained stiff and wary, her lips parting at his reply though she didn't speak. If he wanted to play with fire, then that was on his head, Meerkat supposed. She didn't doubt her mother could handle the situation; she didn't need the yearling's help.

Maybe she was wrong about that, though. Not long after an insanely large stranger came forward to receive them, one of the twins came barreling into view. Their mother could tell the twins apart with relative ease, though Meerkat had never been able to do so easily. It was particularly difficult when she was moving so quickly.

She didn't even think about it, really, Meerkat hastily moved closer to Reyes. She didn't quite intercept the girl but she bumped into him in her effort to closely monitor the situation. If he'd attacked Caracal, he might pose a threat to Sphyra (or was it Tierra? She still couldn't quite tell).

Whether he had any business here was up to the Sovereign, though Meerkat considered it her duty to look out for and guard her younger siblings, even if she wasn't particularly cut out for the role. She watched both Reyes and Tierra (yeah, pretty sure it was her) like a hawk from less than a foot away, intermittently shooting anxious glances at the stranger and beyond him. Someone should go get Towhee.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Meerkat had a sour look on her face. Maybe Reyes only imagined it. She didn't seem pleased at all to see him there, but what did he care? She wasn't his family; Towhee was, and those kids he'd left behind in the caldera certainly were. He opened his mouth to say something else when a stranger approached from the other side.

They were burly, pale, and clearly uncertain of both visitors. Reyes didn't recognize them, but he wouldn't have. He had never been very close to anyone in the pack outside of the family he'd built; the way the stranger levied the same question to them both was telling, as well. Meerkat must have taken her sweet time in returning home, so their little encounter in the woods hadn't been relayed to anyone yet.

Reyes opened his mouth again to speak and froze, because his daughter's triumphant shouting was growing louder and louder, to the point that she emerged as a flash of red beyond the white guardian. Reyes was so glad to see her —!

That was when Meerkat moved closer to him. She served to partially block his view of his daughter and stood there are Tierra came in for a hug, preventing her from making that last bit of distance.

The hell are you doing? Reyes shot at Meerkat. He began to bristle, knowing how haphazard he would look if the wrong person came striding over at the wrong time. He side-stepped around Meerkat and looked down to where Tierra waited, smiling at her.

Daddy's home, sweetheart. Over the top of Tierra's head he glared at Meerkat a moment, and with the same frustration edging his tone, spoke to the guardian: I'm Towhee's mate, and the father of her kids. I'm here to talk to her. To make amends. Or, more than likely, just for a visit — but Reyes wouldn't dash his daughter's hopes like that.
The Phoenix General
180 Posts
Ooc — Cheeto

The blonde woman said nothing, only offering an unknown tension between her and the red head infront of her. Suddenly, a high pitched screech  calling out 'daddy' caught his attention behind him, and Ignis turned to follow the sight of a similarly colored, smaller shape; Tierra, he thought. His brows furrowed in confusion at the exchange for a moment, but after lifting his gaze to look at the man again -- the answer was confirmed.

I'm Towhee's mate, and the father of her kids. I'm here to talk to her.........Towhee's mate?

And their kids father.

Speaking of which, Āzon never did see the man who sired Towhee's children -- not that he'd ever asked her in spare time. The Guardian would've naturally got suspicious of such a claim from someone he'd never met, but seeing how one of the twins ran up to them -- kids don't do that to any ol' stranger.

He took a moment to sigh and calm himself, then softened a bit.

"I see....sorry, 'fraid I ain't met you yet, so I was a little on edge at first..." the Pheonix said with a soft chuckle, switching his gaze from Tierra and the man who she'd ran towards -- they lookes so much like each other. He stepped a few inches back to give some man some space, then turned his head back to the Caldera. 

"I'll try gettin' Towhee for you in that case....oh, by the way--" Āzon paused before making the call to inquire the man further. He was curious about them, seeing as they'd never met before. It was only natural that he'd ask: "What you say yer name was again?"

The Pheonix General
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Everything was okay again. She knew he hadn't left because of her, and that he'd missed her and that he would be back. The pup's tail waggled along with her butt as she danced in front of him, then reared back to try and bump noses with him excitedly. She barely noticed Azon or Meerkat yet... all of her attention was for Reyes.

C'mon, lesplay!! She chirrupped brightly, bouncing back and forth. The entire tone of the situation was lost on her. Her bounces took her a few bounds into the territory and the excitement practically misted off of her. She glanced back, grinning, ready to scream and run when he joined into the game. Obviously he would... he was here to see her.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,928 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Much as his question rubbed her the wrong way, Meerkat didn't bother replying. She knew it was rhetorical and anyone could see she was just trying to keep a close eye on her sister. Tierra might not understand that her father was a threat but the yearling certainly did. She didn't make any attempt to physically bar them from each other, she simply wanted to stick close to monitor the situation.

Her jaw tightened when Reyes declared he was Towhee's mate. Surely that wasn't true anymore, though she wasn't actually sure. But she sincerely doubted he was welcome in Towhee's life or anywhere near the caldera, for that matter. All the same, Meerkat remained mum, refusing to speak for her mother. Towhee would be much better at handling all this anyway.

The unfamiliar male apologized to Reyes, earning an inscrutable look from the yearling even as she kept her eyes fixed on father and daughter. He said he would go fetch Towhee and she glanced up at him, lips parted to say something, when he directed a loaded question at Reyes.

Now seemed like a good time to break her silence and take some action. "Reyes. His name is Reyes," she answered for him. "And I'm Meerkat, Towhee's daughter. And, actually, if it's okay with you, I'd like to go get her. Could you keep an eye on things here?" Reluctantly, she peeled away from Reyes and Tierra to move closer to the white wolf, adding in a hissper (mostly for her little sister's sake), "I'm pretty sure she threw him out. He attacked Caracal. Please don't take your eyes off him."

She paused there, wondering if he knew about any of this. Meerkat didn't know the guy and was a little hesitant to leave a stranger in charge of looking out for Tierra. But if anyone could truly offer her protection, it was this pale giant.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Reyes wanted to ream out Meerkat for the way she tried to block the way between father and daughter, but with Tierra there he had to rethink that notion. The girl was oblivious to the tension among the adults and Reyes preferred to keep her out of it as much as possible. 

She pulled his attention across the border with a cheerful demand for playtime. Reyes wanted to go to her, and wished he could. He looked to the guard after being asked for his name but before he could say anything, Meerkat opened her big mouth and introduced the both of them — before taking it upon herself to find Towhee and striding across the border as if she belonged more rightly than he did.

Choosing to focus on his daughter rather than the drama unfolding before him, Reyes ducked his head so he could look at Tierra on her own level, and then took up the pose of a wolf trying to play: forelegs wide, torso down, except, he didn't cross that line. I would love to play! But I have to ask mom first. He explained, and sank his haunches against the mossy floor. 

Can you wait with me until mom gets here? Reyes went on to ask, but gave a glance up to the guard while Meerkat roamed freely behind him, feeling all the more out of place after that exchange.
The Phoenix General
180 Posts
Ooc — Cheeto

Āzon awaited an answer from the red man, idly flicking his ears at the small pup's enthusiastic pleads to play with his father -- but the woman behind him drew closer to intercept their conversation instead. Naturally, he was confused by this, and looked down towards the yearling to hear what she had to say -- until the situation he'd been blinded by until now became clear. "Reyes." Was the man's name, and soon enough the Tundrian's smile slowly faded. He looked to him again to see if he'd deny this being his name, and he didn't.

This was Reyes. 

It was clear now. That's why his scent was farmiliar upon his arrival; the same scent which waned from the den area when he'd first went to Towhee asking what had happened that day. Meerkat didn't need to explain herself to him even when she whispered something. The Phoenix already knew.

So he circled a bit, after a moment of silence, and turned so he'd be facing her. 
"Actually....maybe you wouldn't mind takin' your lil' sister with you? So you can both relay the news that your father's returned, I mean....."

He said calmly, though the bristling of fur and unreadable expression didn't match his tone. He didn't hide his intentions to Meerkat, as he was more or less hoping she'd get the memo -- if Meerkat took Tierra with her and left the two men alone, Āzon was going to attack him.

Except he didn't want Tierra here to see it, with the knowledge of Reyes being their father now apparent to Ignis. So he looked towards the woman silently, half pleading, seeing if she'd actually abide by his request, or if he'd have to calm himself down.

The Pheonix General
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He didn't follow and she stopped, confused. Her nose scrunched. Mom isn't here so it's fine. she answered matter-of-factly, youthful ignorance meaning she saw none of the complexity in this. She'd never needed permission to play with dad before; in fact, she'd needed permission to play without them. Nothing about any of this made sense, and even her childish senses were beginning to realize something was going on here. Something she didn't like.

She puffed up when Azon suggested she go with Meerkat and shouted an adamant NO at him, running for Reyes instead. Imma stay. Her legs were stiff as she peered at him churlishly from beside her dad, and she pressed in as close as the situation and placement would allow her.

She didn't like any of this one bit. Too much was happening that she didn't understand and daddy seemed unhappy. Mommy was unhappy too, and though it wasn't as clear, that had affected her too.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,928 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Even as she awaited acknowledgement from the white guardian, two different sides of Meerkat continued wrestling one another. She definitely wanted to stay here and personally keep an eye on her sister, though an even bigger part of her desperately wanted to bring Towhee's attention to this situation. Plus, there were other things she was bursting to tell her mom. She would need to place her trust in this stranger, by simple merit of his wearing a Redhawks title.

It shouldn't have surprised her when he countered her with a suggestion, though it did. Meerkat's eyes darted nervously to where Reyes and Tierra played, wondering if the girl would cooperate. Of course, the child overheard and ran to Reyes, which answered that question. The yearling swallowed, concerned for her sister's safety but hoping her father wouldn't dare harm her with Āzon here.

"Okay. It's okay," she said loudly, "I'll be right back and mom will sort it out." She shot Reyes a quick look, then forced a smile for Tierra. She couldn't blame the child for not comprehending the danger. She still doubted Reyes would touch a hair on her head, though she hated to bet on her kid sister's safety. But trying to force the situation could be even riskier with tensions running so high, so Meerkat knew she had to prioritize fetching Towhee.

She caught the giant's eye with a thoughtful frown and a nod. Sucking in a shaky breath and giving the pup one last glance, Meerkat then broke into a run, determined to locate Towhee as quickly as possible.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He didn't like the look on the guard's face. There was an edge to the serious expression that lay there; Reyes could remember a few instances where men looked at him that way and he instinctively knew he did not like it. Moreover, the stranger tried to get Tierra to leave with Meerkat — that alone was a red flag. Reyes rose up to his proper height and stared down the pale guardian. Meanwhile, his daughter hurried towards him, refusing to leave.

The red wolf began to bristle. Tierra, Reyes called out, not looking at his daughter any longer (almost afraid to move his eyes from the wolf standing before him). Go find mom, okay? I promise we can play after. The tone of Reyes' voice was so thoroughly paternal that there would be no room left for compromise.

Reyes did not want to fight. He could not shake the burning of the stranger's eyes upon himself, or the clear warning signs coming off of Azon as the guard prowled closer, circling towards where Reyes waited. There had to be a damn good reason why this guy was posturing like this — especially now, when all that he wanted was to see his family and talk things out.

Meerkat slipped away with one final look back at him, and it was odd; Reyes couldn't read the look on her face. He couldn't tell if she was nervous about his being there (which she seemed from the beginning) or if there was something deeper at play, but there wasn't time to find out. She was gone in the next instant, off to hunt down Towhee — leaving Reyes to watch over his daughter Tierra with a rising tension from the guard.
The Phoenix General
180 Posts
Ooc — Cheeto
Can be skipped if need be! <3

He was hoping for Meerkat to leave with Tierra, and that the young girl would comply and dissappear before Āzon saw red -- before he strode over to where Reyes was and proceeded to pop new holes into his cerise ass like he did to Caracal. However, the young girl was not having any of it -- she wasn't planning on leaving her father's side, and the little flame dashed away towards her paternal lookalike quicker than anyone could protest. With one look over his shoulder towards Meerkat, he too would return the nod reluctantly with creased eyebrows, and turned back towards the small family with a deep breath out. Jaw tightened to hide the teeth that pressed hard against the inside of his lips. 'Calm down,' the Phoenix told himself.

Calm down.

"Yer such a daddy's girl, Tierra. How could I say no to ya?" He teased towards the pup with a returned smile as he began stepping closer towards them, halting several feet away. He could not look at Reyes, as he was afraid his suppressed anger would boil over as soon as they locked eyes with each other. His insides screamed like flames bursting out a furnace to let instinct take over, but Ignis needed to restraint that feeling in front of Tierra. She was just a child happy to see her father again.

So he'd stand close and watch them instead -- planned to follow them if they moved too. Because if Tierra was attacked like her brother, then "restraint" can go fuck itself.

The Pheonix General
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
They were all trying to make her go, but she wouldn't. She didn't like the way they looked at her daddy, like he was in trouble or not supposed to be there. How dare they treat her daddy like this!?

NO! She shrieked it, then flinched, realizing that she'd unleashed that on her dad. She frowned and felt threatening tears, but at least managed not to let those out yet. She was frustrated that even he was trying to get her to go. Did he not want to actually play with her?

The large white Wolf tried to be friendly, but Tierra glared at him somewhat woefully. She stayed where she was, though she had taken a step back when Reyes first suggested she go with Meerkat. She wasn't coming any closer to the other man, though, because she was suddenly worried he'd try to push her away the way mom had. This wasn't fair. Why were they all treating daddy like this?

I don't wanna go. I wanna wait with you. She said, somewhat plaintively, the plea evident. I don't want mom. Why won't they leave? She shot another look at Azon, fur starting to spike. They were the reason daddy wouldn't play, why he left and wouldn't come back. He was her daddy, not them, and they should leave instead.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
I think its ok to skip Meerkat now, since they left the scene — but slap me if I'm wrong.

Tierra erupted after that; but Reyes was glad to see it. He was pleased that someone wanted him around after all, and knew that Towhee hadn't managed to turn their children against him as swiftly as his dubious thoughts led him to believe. It was difficult for Reyes to focus on his daughter rather than the looming threat of the guard, but he tried his best, reaching out to nudge at her with his nose.

It's alright, you don't have to go. You can stay with me. Even though that turned Tierra in to a meat-shield; so far the guard had not attacked him despite showing all the signs of wanting to, and that meant Tierra was preventing harm from befalling Reyes. The man could see that; he knew it was wrong to use his daughter in this way, but he had to. He wouldn't leave without talking to Towhee, and Tierra wasn't about to leave her dad.

Hey, Tierra... How is your sister? And your brother? He ventured to ask after the other children, hoping it would give the girl something to focus on. Reyes kept his ears trained on the movements of the white walker beyond them, his body tense against the grass. You know, when I grabbed Caracal, that was an accident, right? And after an accident like that, what do we do? A pause, wondering if the guard is listening too. His eyes were on Tierra, wondering if she would have the answer — the obvious being, apologize.
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It took her a few minutes to relax from her prepared tantrum. She'd been ready to start screaming the instant someone tried to make her go, but luckily daddy said she could stay. She traipsed closer and sat down in front of him, content to bask in his attention.

Cackle's a baby, Tierra said. An Speer's annoying. Like that was what he wanted to hear. She won' leave me alone. I found a really cool spot though, wanna see!?

She completely blazed past the more serious teachable moment and instead again, eagerly, urged him in to see the cool place she found.