Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
Private 
"@Druid."
the night was black in dawnleaf. the puppies slept. moon shone upon her face, spilling a carpet of silverglow into the den.
where had her new lease on things come from? she could not say, but credited god in one more thought before she glanced at her sister. "are you feeling better?" not just physically, but all through. heda knew druid was healing, but it was important that she ask too.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
I’m not sure it matters but I’m assuming this takes place before Goldfinch’s escape. Correct me if I’m wrong! :)

Druid stretched out to her full length, her weight shifted slightly to her left. The den wall pressed against her back, the puppies’ faces to her belly. She yawned expansively as she settled, prepared to lower her head to her outstretched forelegs when Heda whispered her name.

Her eyes found those familiar pale features in the moonlit gloom of the den. Their eyes connected. Druid smiled tiredly, nodding at the soft inquiry. She wouldn’t say she was doing great, especially not with a fractured leg and missing teeth. But by some stroke of fortune, she was feeling better.

Yes, she said quietly before returning, How are you?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
i wasn't sure so it can plop anywhere in the timeline!

"i'm well, i think." heda offered her sister a soft look. "i'm sorry things have been so rocky to start rivenwood," she offered to druid with an empathetic sigh. "at least we never broke."
perhaps individually, but never from one another.
heda studied the moon; "do you think everyone will stay this time?"
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
It’s not your fault, Druid reminded, smiling at the next few words. We never broke, she agreed.

Heda posed a question to the moon. Druid’s head cocked. She hoped they would, as she was growing rather fond of the ragtag wolves that had almost misfortunately wound up in Rivenwood. But she felt there was more to the question.

And we never will, she finished their earlier thought. Even if they don’t, we’ll find a way, Heda.

At one point or another, Druid had realized she would never leave this place, not for anything or anyone. She wondered if she would renege, should Heda leave. But why would she?

Before we know it, these guys will be grown and contributing, she continued after a few beats of silence, a thought which had reassured her before. She shared another in the next breath: Nothing worthwhile ever happens quickly or easily.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
when had druid learned to speak to that place inside her? had she always? heda gave her sister a long and level look, and in it something smoothed, relaxed. 
it curdled a moment longer when druid pointed out her second thing; heda stuttered in her goodwill, still grappling with the resentment which had took hold of her for a small but choking time.
druid didn't deserve it.
"do you want to use our old rendezvous when they're ready?" she asked softly, watching the moon fall across the marks that glaukos had left on her sister's face. ones she'd invited, according to him.
maybe she should just be grateful they were apart now.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Druid wondered at the look Heda gave her, which went on so long her lips began to move in question of it. But then she glanced away and the moment passed. Not all thoughts needed to be spoken, she knew.

If that’s what you’d like to do, I don’t mind. We could pick a new one, though. I’m fine either way, Druid said truthfully. Nearly anywhere we’d choose will be near water, which is probably a little perilous. But I do plan to teach them how to swim. And fish, of course.

She remembered having a similar conversation with Glaukos. Her gaze fell to the four children nestled alongside her. Druid still felt a small measure of guilt over ousting him and parting him from them, though she wondered if he even cared. There was no judgment in that thought, though it made her frown.

Bending, she put her nose to the top of the nearest child’s (@Averie’s) head and drew in her scent. It didn’t evoke anything in particular, aside from a sense of duty she knew was borne of instinct. And bless that, because these poor dears were stuck with two parents who possibly didn’t love them, though at least one of them cared.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
watching druid with averie comforted heda a little. her sister had calmed and truly returned to motherhood. perhaps the dawning of the new and desired reality had helped to strengthen the other den mother in her role, though heda would be surprised if druid sought this out again.
"i can help too. they'll be good at both," she reassured, reaching out toward her sibling for a moment of connection.
they could build. rebuild. 
heda was starting to realize she did not know what she wanted any longer. each day was its own universe. "maybe we could choose one further back in the territory, like brookblind or something. or the giant. you know, that tree should really have its own name by now."
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Druid always welcomed Heda’s touch. When they drew apart, her sister voiced more thoughts into the glimmering darkness. Her ears pricked, attentive.

We could call it Sequoia, she murmured, even if it isn’t. I don’t know, plant identification has never been my strong point.

She huffed a laugh, keeping it quiet now that all those little ears were open. It trailed off into a contemplative hum for a moment.

I do like the idea of establishing a new rendezvous site there. We could call it Sequoia’s Site? Or, I don’t know. Sequoia’s… Spot? she suggested through another muffled laugh.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,196 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
"sequoia's site sounds nice," heda murmured. she wasn't really attached to the old rendezvous, hardly remembering it, and yet the place was still hard to give up. she told herself that if she wanted their six kids to have good memories of rivenwood, better memories than their mothers, they would have to make their own.
"sequoia's site, the huge tree." heda chuckled. "it'll be the coolest spot in the bypass."
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
607 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Fisher
Ecologist
Indeed, Druid whispered, chortling as well. There’ll be plenty of fishing opportunities there, seeing as it practically has its own moat. She lapsed into thoughtful silence for a beat before adding, Of course, we’ll wait until yours are old enough before we make the move.

She couldn’t imagine separating the youngsters; it would be like dividing up siblings at this point. Sometimes, Druid even thought Kikimora belonged more with Heda and the boys than her own brood. They would do this like they did everything else: together, or not at all.