Moonspear and where do we feature? just listen to teacher
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Hydra sought @Arcturus now, solely. If there was any foul play, she would sniff it out and snuff the desire to continue on such a path. She was on no warpath today, but she was on the path to find the truth. This had nothing to do with any other but for herself and her brother; Hydra had always ever sought to do right by them both, to guide them, to strengthen them. Arcturus was cunning—and articulate—his doubt in her the other day made sense, though she had not thought too much of it before.

Now, though? It was the forefront of her mind.

Hydra paused in her journey only to catch a rabbit in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was always hungry lately, and this was not enough to sate her. With a huff, Hydra paused in her step, conflicted between dealing with this potential betrayal or hunting for more... Well, why not both? A distracted mind often was the easiest to catch off-guard, was it not? At least she would arrive with better tidings than all of the tumultuous things they had been dealing with as of late, but perhaps she was wrong and they would not need to broach the subject at all any further than addressing its nonexistence, if that was so.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus did some vague things following his tantrum to his parents, which his writer will not go into detail over, given current events. in any case it could be assumed he was not in a good mood when hydra came upon him; he scarcely lifted his gaze to meet his sister, so sullen and abject was he. 

he knew, at the very least, that hydra wanted for something; she was not a woman that wasted her means, and did not do things idly. a lifetime of growing up alongside her had taught arcturus that hydra was a woman who placed her pawns carefully; whether or not he was but another piece in her long game of chess, he had yet to decide. sparing her a flick of his ears, arcturus did not meet her gaze as he spoke. what do you want? the boy morosely asked, feeling raw still from his exclusion from leadership.
when you come down to take me home
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra gazed down at her brother, so morose and forlorn and feeling sorry for himself. It was a pitiful sight, and Hydra did not like it. She could not recall having seen him this way... but then, she was often keen to forget the things she did not like. Hydra did not do well with things such as this; one could not be good with everything, after all... though it was not as though she did not try to be.

And for now, she began with that, making a poor attempt at being comforting by speaking plainly. Arcturus, I would like to see you lead alongside your brother. Revui had been given tasks, and if it is something you desire, tell me. She looked to him, her blue eyes not leaving his form. Things have been changing, and it has not felt for the better with the exception of Revui, she admitted, though perhaps you feel overlooked. I see you, and I have always seen you, she lowered her head to better look at him, and I want to trust you, too, if you are to someday stand where I stand. Hydra's gaze was more watchful now. Is there anything you are keeping from me? She asked next. She wanted to ensure he did not, and never would, either; he would come to be her second, she hoped, and so it was she who needed to trust him as he could trust her.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus did not note he was being critically observed; the boy was wrapped in his own convoluted thoughts, still burnt by the fact he had not ascended alongside revui. 

wrongfully, as with most things arcturus assumed, he assumed hydra was approaching him to speak about him — about his loss in revui’s gain. an assumption inadvertently supplemented by hydra’s mention she noticed him; which felt good to the dark Ostrega, who had always felt like a fly on the wall for most of his life. he did not yet realize the error of his ways in not asking charon for beta himself; like most young creatures filled with youthful naivety, arcturus assumed if you simply worked hard for something you’d be given it, under rightful means of being the most competent or proven. he had yet to learn that many climbed the ladder simply by asking or demanding it, not by their own merits or accomplishments— and sometimes, those that climbed said ladder were undeserving or frankly a poor fit for their new role (not that revui was — arcturus believed him a good fit, better than any other alternative save, of course, himself). 

arcturus’ dreadful assumption that the topic was still about him would likely come back to bite him — and hydra too. he had nothing to say on the matter that had not already been said. no. i have said all i wish to say. i do not wish to wait. his features darkened into a scowl, soured by the unfairness of it all.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra heard his bullish response, and withdrew. He did not understand her, and she noted this. Your inability to hear me as you think only of yourself is an obstacle you face, Arcturus. It is not befitting of someone who wishes to lead now, she expressed, ears pressing forward. Arcturus did deserve it, just as Revui did, but it seemed he would need to learn more still. Leadership is selfless. There are benefits to it, but you must not see only yourself. You must see past, present, and future. Are you understanding me? Or was he still within his own head, unable to look beyond? Could he be pulled from his pity party, where he was (and would be) the only attendee? How long would such a party last?
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
hydra had sympathetic counsel - up until you think only of yourself edged from her words, denouncing the dark sister’s opinion of arcturus’ stormy mood. his gaze lifted then, imbued not with hurt but outrage — how could she possibly accuse arcturus of being selfish?

of all the siblings alive, only he had never left the mountain to pursue his own selfish whims. of all the siblings he had acted selflessly, stifling his own wants and needs for the benefit of his family. when yami disappeared, it had been arcturus to scout endlessly with his father. when revui disappeared, it had been arcturus who ranged long and ceaseless through fell and forest, calling until his voice had gone hoarse. and when hydra had called for her family to shed blood at her bidding, it had been arcturus that came, ready to kill unquestioningly on her behalf. and then, when his parents fought arcturus had struggled to remain neutral, to hold together the tension of the family that slipped through his grasp like water.. selfish? his head spun.

how many times had he served the mountain before himself? how many days had he lived? some three hundred count; and of those days, he had never strayed from his family, nor gone against the wish of any. everything he did was in the benefit of his family. when his father or mother ordered him to go or stand down, he did so without compunction. when hydra or lyra commanded him, he fulfilled their wishes. he was the family’s little marionette, trotted out like some family’s hackney pony on display to do the bidding of any ostregan at any point they wished to use him.

well, no longer.

his eyes flashed at such an unfounded accusation. charon was right — hydra could not see reason. no, arcturus growled, finding his jaw set and head held proudly. i have been selfless; it is you, and father, and mother, that have your own selfish interests at heart. he knew to speak against her, his idol, his sister, his confidant, came at a terrible cost — but arcturus could not be backed into a corner any longer, and like a feral beast caged, felt desperation start to sink in.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra processed his words mutely as his mood shifted. It was a shift above his pitiful state moments ago, though his words tempered her oncoming happiness about that. Her features shifted from sympathetic (if they could be called that) to utterly disappointed. She had no doubt, now, that their father had spoken to him and soured his mind to make him speak so. She could, and would, acknowledge her part–but first? She would regard him. 

Her face shifted to impassive, all traces of emotion wiped clean off. Here and now, I speak of here, and now–had I thought you selfish for a lifetime, do you think I ever would consider you deserving? You are selfless, and I thought you smarter, she spoke, voice, too, void of feeling.  She was bewildered. But his words had cost him her trust, in her own belief of where they came from.

Her ears leaned forward ever-so-slightly, as she rolled her shoulders as a jaguar might before setting upon its prey. But she did not regard her brother as prey here. She saw him now for what he was in this moment, and that alone.

For her own part, she had never changed. Not really. 

She learned forward, voice soft yet eerily calm. There was a firmness in it befitting of her convictions: I am selfish. When it comes to you, our brothers and sisters, I always have been. Should any have ever harmed you, I would be selfish in wanting to kill the bastard who did so myself. And if I found them, I would be selfish in acting on that whim. If I sense a threat to those that I love most, even their honor, I am selfish: I act first. I have never not acted in the interest of our family in this. And I have never acted differently. The day that father offended you, who spoke on your behalf? When he returned, who also defended you? Only one has shifted in this path, and I will speak with him about it, Hydra’s own head lifted as she stared at her brother, and I sense that you know it yourself, that you feel so free now in speaking against mother, too. Who else but their father could plant the seed of doubt? Water it? 

Hydra sought to remove the weeds that choked her brother. But perhaps this plant was long dead. Perhaps it was best left alone. She would find out, would she not? She would not choke the plant of its life herself. She only sought to water it, and cast it in sunlight. Protect it from fingers that would prematurely pluck it.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
arcturus soon found he was little match for his sister -- in many ways, he had always believed himself inferior, but in this moment it became quite clear. in a single speech, his dark sister managed to clear his choking convictions, and cow him into stilted silence.

he glanced at the ground, thus chagrined by her (justifiable) words. he had little to say, for he knew she was right -- and he knew too, that if he spoke up against her, he would be quickly brought to heel. a lump rose in his throat and he swallowed it dryly, giving nothing but demure nod as he quelled under the might of his sister.
send my soul away
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He remembered his place, and was silenced; the shift of his gaze and the way he shrank both mollified her. Though the disappointment lingered, Hydra felt she had made her point clearly enough; he was still her brother, and she still adored him. He recognized he had been wrong, and this was what she held fast to. She reclined backward and chuffed toward him. Nothing cleared an entagled mind quite like biting things and running it out, and she was hungry. Will you hunt with me? She inquired with a tilt of her head, feeling that doing so would soothe both of their restless thoughts.
Ghost
send my soul away
1,066 Posts
Ooc —
Master Guardian
Tracker
it should have felt like deja vu, being put in his place and then just as quickly invited to a hunt. the boy followed meekly as he did with charon, a silent nod his only answer. 

by now hydra would like as not be used to his lack of verbosity; he had many days yet where his omission would be discovered, and he pushed it far out of his mind as he followed after his older sister at a steady trot.
send my soul away