1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
Random Event 
maybe unofficial pack hunt?

donovan. nyra. easthollow.
merrick whirled in a furor.
some great cloven-hooved ruminant had come up and trampled upon their borders, a slack-jawed huge thing with bloodstained palmate antlers and a pair of beady eyes affixed to merrick.
he bared his teeth in a grin, moving out of its way even as he circled back through curiosity alone.
a stamp, a bellow, and toward him the maddened thing was hurtling, merrick's single eye widened more and more as he sought to leap aside.
Rivenwood
Den Father
seraphs sob at vermin fangs
617 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The commotion stirred in him an attentiveness; the kind of clarity of focus one gets when the docile homestead is upended by unhappy parents, or the like. In this case it was Merrick versus some unfathomable beast the likes of which Glaucos had never seen before.

At its heel came Merrick, grinning wide, clearly enjoying himself. The boy did not know what to do. He tread a step closer only to fall back by half, wanting to investigate this thing and the dance they shared - but also afraid, wondering if he should be there at all.

A nervous whine pealed from his clenched jaw and Glaucos looked around for others - as surely he was not alone in witnessing this creature, and someone of stronger mettle could aid the man (dare he think, step-father - his eye gave a little twitch).
38 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Drawn forward by the bellowing of the beast, Astyanax came bounding towards the borders, eager to see the cause of such a thunderous noise. He skidded to a stop as he first caught sight of his brother, and then the giant creature who had engaged their leader with a fearsome charge.

The boy quickly made to move to Glaucos' side as he stood by, staring anxiously. He was not so apprehensive. If anything, Astyanax was galvanised by the action, and he danced on his paws eagerly, letting out soft barks and yelps, before adrenalin got the better of him and he frantically raced into the fray.
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick danced in a tight weave before the charge of the animal. fleet-foot kept him from its gore, though it curved its antlers wickedly close on the second attempt. but the bearprince was laughing, a breathy, surprised sound that trickled from between teeth as he whirled and glittered away.
neither were yet wearied; merrick alone was no match for a beast of this size, and it needed to expend little energy for its tight jabs forward. perhaps it had stumbled into the valley by mistake, and was resolved to fight its way out.
one two three; and then he was,
tripping over one of revui's stonebaked sons, not quite collapsing but distracted enough to take his single eye off the game and onto the boy. "what the f —" and then the coywolf spoke no more, for again the brute lowered its head and charged them both.
perhaps more roughly than he needed, or perhaps it was simply the only thing to occur within his head, merrick thrust his scarred muzzle downward and made to punt astyanax far and away, hopefully hard enough to clear the boy from beneath the stamping hooves.
Rivenwood
Den Father
617 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
His brother was beside him, a comfort—too brief, though. Off he went, rocketing towards the beast as if he were the stone flung from David's sling.

Merrick danced out of reach of this Goliath; Glaucos watched as his feet tangled against the body of Astyanax and in seeing the perilous collision, the child shouted: Waai-!!!

As fearful as he was of what he witnessed, he could not stand idle while his brother was kicked aside. He bolted closer, only to flatten against the sod when Merrick reached down to pluck the stoneboy and throw him.

Glaucos' eyes went wide; he felt his teeth chattering, and yelped on behalf of his brother, mortified, paralyzed by his fear.
38 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Off he raced, sparing no thoughts of self preservation nor plans as to what he was going to do once he got close enough to the beast. The impulsive decision had been made as soon as he had spied the colossal creature, though as he suddenly became entangled between Merrick's legs and heard the thundering hooves upon the earth once more, Astyanax realised the error of his ways.

He didn't have a chance to even look towards the charging beast, as suddenly a force lifted his hind end off the ground and he was roughly shoved to the wayside, flying forwards with about as much grace as a boulder rolling down a cliffside.

Somewhere he heard his brother call out, though the chaotic noise of the world was suddenly replaced with a loud ringing sound as the bottom of his jaw slammed against the ground. He came to a rolling stop a few paces away from where Glaucos cowered, frozen in fear. Head aching from the impact, Astyanax lay limp as his world continue to spin for a few moments longer.
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
the great fucking animal swerved aside, pounding off into the brush. merrick stared with angry helplessness after it, vibrating; a single step followed and then he collected himself, whirling back upon the pair of pebbles that had impeded his hunt.
teeth aching momentarily to end one of them in warning, merrick reined himself sharply, a battle-horse in the churned dust of a warfield. ensuring himself that the tossed boy still breathed, he glared between the pair. "never do that again. you could have died."
Rivenwood
Den Father
617 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Off went the beastly thing of the earth, in to the shadows with a crash of tumult; then all Karst could do was stare after Astyanax where he lay. When he could feel his jellied legs become solid again he tumbled towards him, throwing himself upon his brother to check for life. He administered licks all over every inch he could touch, sniffed at his nose, held his own breath to listen for a heartbeat—anything, anything and everything, to make sure his brother had not left him.