Heron Lake Plateau I'm working on my backwards walk, walking with no shoes or socks.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,984 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Nearly three weeks after her accident, Towhee was adapting to her new reality. Her leg showed no signs of revival, though at least it wasn't slowing her down quite as much; she had mastered a three-legged gait and could even hit a steady trot with minimal stumbling. She had resumed patrolling, usually with @Niamh for backup. The dead weight made her more tired than usual and she rested frequently. She was too afraid to attempt swimming yet, so Towhee hadn't been to The Roost since prior to the ill-fated trip. She tended to bed down near the den where @Quixote, @Raven and their pups lived, close enough to keep watch but far enough not to infringe on the family.

She was there now, inspecting her dead paw. The callous had flattened but thickened. She supposed it was a permanent fixture now. It was ugly, yet what did it matter? Towhee tore her eyes away and sat up straighter, feeling her back crack even if she couldn't hear the little pops. She rolled her shoulders a few times and, on the last rotation, heaved herself to her feet. The Beta immediately shifted to bear most of her rear weight on her right leg—which was growing more muscular to compensate, even as her left leg showed signs of shriveling—while bracing her forelegs a little wider than before. She now did most of this without thinking.

As she padded toward the Alpha pair's den, Towhee was in good spirits. She had overcome yet another adversity, practically without breaking a (metaphorical) sweat. But as she paused outside its mouth, she found herself saying, "Guys, I was thinking. Hear me out." She paused, expression growing thoughtful. "I think it might be time for me to step down and let someone more—I don't know—able-bodied take my place. I actually have someone in mind." Towhee paused again, this time partially for effect. "What about @Colt? He and Niamh would make a handsome Beta pair. Order would be restored too: Redhawk Alphas, Blackthorn Betas. Well, sorta." Cue another pause. "Plus, he's gotten on my case historically about my disabilities and I can only imagine what he thinks now. Let's make him put his money where his mouth is or whatever." A final pause. "Hey, are you guys even in there?"
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messages In This Thread
I'm working on my backwards walk, walking with no shoes or socks. - by Towhee - September 13, 2018, 10:46 AM