Lion Head Mesa (ap) passim
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
something had changed in the last moments between himself and @Ruenna.

when they had come to the austere doorway of the small and single room, the eagle paused. "one moment."

he went into the room to rouse @Crowfeather, and when the shadow had straightened and readied, returned to the redfern.

"lady ruenna has come to see you," germanicus intoned gently, moving toward the narrow wall.

the room bore the sharp scent of herbs. skins had been spread upon a small plinth of stone and these held more drying leaves. crowfeather lay upon the mean bed.

the imperator felt many things rise in his chest.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Germanicus disappeared briefly into the chamber, taking with him the tension that had mounted as they discussed-- or perhaps debated?-- their future in the hallway. Ruenna sighed, attempting to collect herself before she was presented to the ailing auxiliary. 

When summoned by Germanicus, Ruenna slipped into the chamber. The sharp tinge of medicinal herbs met her senses.

"Hello, Crowfeather," she greeted the young man gently. "How are you feeling?" Should he allow it, she would approach his bedside so she could better speak with him. 

"Are you hungry?" she asked, looking around for any sign that he had recently been provided food. "We could arrange to have some delicacies from the party brought down." The young apprentice's bandages appeared to have been recently tended, and so it stood to reason that his appetite would have also been considered, but Ruenna offered anyway.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The dark figure had listened to the bustle of the wedding party from the chamber where he healed. His tall ears would swivel to meet the steps of partygoers as they passed, the laugh of a stranger in the distance, or the sound of the Fellahin.

When Germanicus’ steps were caught outside the entrance, the shadow turned his head toward it and waited. The silver eagle stepped into the room to inform him that Ruenna from Redhawk Caldera was there to see him. Crowfeather had not anticipated such a visitor. He pushed his torso from the ground and looked down to see his scarred legs. It was not likely he could make himself appear nicer for her, but he did what he could.

When the woman entered, Crowfeather smiled gently to her and bowed his head toward the ground.

Hello, lady Ruenna… it is very nice to see you, he said to her, still whistling through the spaces where his teeth had been.

The woman was kind. She approached carefully; her words were gentle. The yearling waved his tail to her and motioned for her to enter, to make herself comfortable in the small space. Ruenna was a guest, after all.

I do not have much of an appetite today. Could you tell me how the party is?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
wait nvm smfh

both ruenna and germanicus were controlled sorts, he felt.

the eagle was silent. he would go for whatever was needed.

he did not have the redfern's bedside manner. and so the soldier was still and protective, keeping his gaze watchful of the doorway and who might enter.

"it is very entertaining. pharaoh is in his element."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna settled near the bedside as Crowfeather bid her, although she did still have a rather "hovering" bearing about her, as if she was ready to jump up to assist Crowfeather at any moment. 

"The party? Oh.." A look of wonder crossed the Redfern's features. "..It's like something from a fantasy." 

Ruenna's starry-eyed description contrasted enough with Germanicus's more restrained evaluation that Ruenna was tickled. Perhaps Germanicus was not so easily impressed, since he lived here all the time. Rue supposed that anyone could get used to almost anything, with enough time and exposure. 

"There are fruits being offered with a strange bitter-sweet taste, and an equally strange affect on attitude and disposition." Ruenna had not yet tried enough to feel the effects herself, but she had seen enough of he party understand, at least partly, the way the fruits seemed to influence those who consumed them. 

"Are these fruits available here year-round, or are they just brought out for special occasions?" Ruenna asked the question that was very likely on the mind of every guest, in one form or another. Is it like this all the time in Akashingo?

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Ruenna entered and drew closer to him. Germanicus stood stalwartly by the doorway, only half listening to their conversation in the sleeping quarters. Crowfeather watched him for several seconds, wishing that he would settle and join them, hoping that he might catch a glimpse of the man’s face.

The lady of Redhawk Caldera said that the party was from fantasy. The seer turned his honey eyes to her and listened as she spoke of fruits with bitter-sweet tastes and surprising effects on those who would take them. Crowfeather had heard of and seen the fruits that she spoke of. Most of the Fellahin smelled of them as they passed through the caverns. He could tell when the Pharaoh would pass, simply from the fermented fragrance that drifted from his being.

I believe the Pharaoh makes sure of it, he said, uncertain.

How long will you stay, lady Ruenna? Crowfeather then sought to ask of her. He wanted to know if he could expect more company while she was there. The dark wolf had enjoyed her presence when they had met before. She was a face that was both familiar and comforting. The shadow knew that Germanicus would move from the canyon in the mountains to Akashingo. It was not often that Crowfeather was able to find company.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus nodded toward ruenna's assessment of the fruit. "it was gathered all summer and ket in a store-room until fermentation began." he had discovered this the first night among the hallways. but he did not comment upon this. he wanted to avoid all mention or thought of maggie.

the shadow inquired after the redfern's stay. germanicus found himself wondering the same. perhaps there would be time for him to apologize before she departed.

to have them both in this room with what had been said felt heavy to the eagle.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
How long would she stay? 

"Hmm.. as long as the Pharaoh wills it, I suppose..." Ruenna voiced, unsure of the answer herself. "At least until morning," she allowed, a little more decisively. The Pharaoh's will seemed to be all that anyone lived by (or died by) here in Akashingo, and Ruenna had a feeling that he was a man that was not to be crossed. 

"I'll make sure to say good-bye before I leave," she promised Crowfeather. "While I'm here, is there anything I mustn't leave without experiencing? What is your favorite sight here in Akashingo, Crowfeather?" No one would know better than a local where Ruenna ought to spend her limited time within these borders.

Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Ruenna was kind in her responses, telling the dark young wolf that she would remain there for as long as the Pharaoh thought it suitable. She added that she would stay until morning, at the very least. Crowfeather nodded his head understandably, grateful to have the company while the rest of Akashingo reveled in merrymaking.

As he rested his head upon his paws, Ruenna asked him what sights there were to see while she visited. The shadow drew his gaze to her, and anxiousness filled his belly. He would have liked to tell her, if he could recall much of the mesa. Crowfeather’s mind was a series of broken memories that did not fit together well enough to make sense of them. When she inquired about the best portions of the Pharaoh’s kingdom, he did not know what to say.

I- I don’t… Crowfeather began nervously. I don’t remember much- much before I was brought here.

This did not feel adequate to offer her, not when she had been so good to him.

Sometimes at night, I can see the stars through the opening, as he said this, he gestured with his nose toward a wide hole in the cavern that looked up. I think they’d be nice if you saw them from outside.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
in spite of himself, germanicus too glanced toward the ceiling of the room. "the stars are indeed beautiful at the top of the mesa." no visitor was alone. maggie's mummified body lay wrapped and covered in trinkets nearby. it seemed that would be a burial ground.

he did not know why he was thinking of it now.

gemanicus lapsed into quiet. he glanced toward ruenna once, and then crowfeather. the man's gaze as usual was veiled. and he kept the turmoil of his thoughts hidden.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"Don't stress yourself," Ruenna advised sympathetically, noting the anxiety in Crowfeather's voice. "I have been where you are. The memories will return on their own, in time." And if they didn't, at least he was safe and cared for, and he knew he had a loving guardian in Germanicus with whom he would make new memories. Good ones. 

After the words came out of her mouth, Ruenna realized that it might be small comfort to Crowfeather, hearing that Ruenna had once similarly been a patient receiving long-term care. It was quite obvious by Ruenna's limping gait that she had never recovered entirely, and that pain reverberated in every step she took. 

Both Crowfeather and Germanicus spoke of the stars, and Ruenna was reminded of Phox, who had loved to gaze at the nighttime sky. He had even channeled this passion into their culture in Asterism Grove, naming each of the ranks for different celestial phenomenon. 

There had been a window of time this year in which Ruenna thought that Phox would be the one with whom she would pursue a union. The Redfern's eyes searched for Germanicus's features, hidden in the shadows by the doorway. 

How quickly circumstances changed. 

"I will make sure to view the stars from atop the mesa, after the festivities die down." Perhaps she would even spend the night beneath the stars. Soon the weather would be too cold to permit such a luxury, so she ought to take advantage of these comparatively milder nights. "..And I will tell you all about it when I return." She smiled at Crowfeather, hoping this promise might bring him some peace as he rested.

Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I would like that very much, the shadow breathed in response to Ruenna’s kindness.

Did the lady of the caldera know how much Crowfeather missed the glittering display? She could not have. The happiness faded to gross jealousy when he thought of the woman at the top of the mesa with Germanicus. The heat that filled his belly was white and hot. It consumed him so swiftly that it frightened him, exhausted him. The inky yearling did not want to imagine the silver eagle sharing such a precious moment with anyone, not even the lady of the caldera.

Crowfeather felt foolish for his feelings. The image of a spoiled child and still he could not force the feeling from his stomach, from washing through his body and filling him with seething frustration. Even Ruenna’s kindness was a mockery, to him. She would venture to the sea of stars and would gaze upon them with the stoic soldier at her side.

And Crowfeather would be left in the dim light of the cavern.

I think I’m tired…

His voice was pained. The shadow turned his gaze away from Ruenna and Germanicus.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus stood and sent his glance toward ruenna when crowfeather spoke. "of course." the shadow had been through an ordeal. it was regretful that he could not remain here. but the eagle was not sure he was wanted.

he would wait until lady ruenna had said her goodbyes. and then he would accompany her where she wished, back to the wedding party or upward to wait for the arrival of the stars.

he was not sure he was prepared for either.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
A change came over Crowfeather, and quite suddenly the happiness vanished from his expression as he withdrew inside himself. A thin wrinkle of concern etched over Ruenna's brow. She wondered if her promise to return had sounded like a farewell to Crowfeather, and if he had been disappointed at the prospect of Ruenna and Germanicus leaving him. Ruenna would have reassured him that they would stay at his side as long as he liked, but he then spoke up to profess his weariness. 

"Okay," Ruenna murmured, warmth and empathy evident in her voice. "Rest." She bent to lap her tongue once across his shoulder, the only part in reach since he had turned away from her. "We'll return soon." She hated to think that Crowfeather would be lonesome tucked away back here, but he seemed to have tired of his present company. 

Ruenna shuffled away, rejoining Germanicus in the doorway. After one last concerned look cast over her shoulder, she would leave at the side of Germanicus to rejoin the party.