Emberwood [m] Internet killed the video star
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
156 Posts
Ooc — xynien
All Welcome 
Forward dated 3 days! Because this will most likely be a high intensity conflict thread, I'm going to limit this to 2 joiners aside from Reina & Everett and rounds will last 3 days. Any and all cameos welcome!
The woods were a vaguely familiar place to the Medeiros, who had no fond memories of this valley. His eyes were reddened with sleeplessness, his limbs heavy with exhaustion as he led @Reina beyond the scent trails that denoted the outskirts of the Hushed Willows camp, yet he remembered being here once. A year ago, wasn't it? Or something like that.

He slowed to howl a greeting to @Everett and Reverie. Unaware of the pack's turmoil in his absence, Tybault assumed that he would find them together and with Reverie's children. He glanced to his companion silently, then chose a scent trail to follow. This one belonged to his sister.

Odd, he thought, that it mingled so heavily with the scent of @Dusty Rose.
Experimenting with my writing; style may vary a bit!
Pledged
hi im baby
217 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
The coywolf was at rest, or as close to rest as he got when the kids were around. He was sprawled on his back, wriggling to chase them with his gaping jaws. While he was making a snap for one, another would flank him and bite his paws or his face. He was bloodied already by their needlike teeth, but his tail still swept idly through the dirt as first one and then the other captured his attention and became his next target.

Then an odd prickle went down his spine. He sat up, putting an abrupt end to the game, to the protest of two annoying little voices. He gazed off into the wind, his nostrils flaring and his ears on the swivel.

"Uncle Tybault's home," he said, just a little shocked by the revelation. Not just that, but — "Reina's with him."

Did kids remember that far back?

>.>
Pledged
1,541 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Reverie was perched sphinxlike beside Dusty Rose, idly grooming the places where tiny spots of blood welled from little puncture wounds. Really, she tried to teach the girls better manners than that, but all that flew out the window when Dusty Rose played with them. She didn't mind so much. Except the part where it made him bleed!

Before she could utter a complaint, however, Tybault's voice cut through their lazy afternoon. Reverie stilled, glancing to her mate. His return meant two things. First and perhaps most pressing, that he'd brought Reina with him. But secondary to that was the conversation they would need to have. The conversation about Dusty Rose, about coyotes and The Gilded Sea. The one she very much did not want to have.

Go on and find Blossom, alright? She'll play with you for a little while, Reverie urged her daughters. Reluctantly the girls parted, one after another, to track down their oldest sister. The Dancing Queen took in a deep breath and stood.

This was going to be a long day.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer
the weeping prophet
105 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Reverie did not want him near her, so he stayed away. He hardly saw the children. He no longer slept in her den. When he crossed her scent line, hers was always intermingled with Dusty Rose - a reality he understood, and that unraveled him all the same. 

She still hadn't returned to talk with him, though every morning, he prayed she would. He knew it was a misunderstanding, and in a way, he understood her distance, too. But he couldn't help the hurt that slowly built up with each passing day, he reluctance to acknowledge that he had never tried anything before - with anyone - and certainly not her! That he had done all he could to prove himself trustworthy to her -

And to have her abandon him so quickly.

Did she even think of him anymore? Or did she smother any thought of seeing him with the new peace she found in Dusty Rose?

Lestan. Boone. Now him. Everett found his thoughts wandering to the first lover she'd ever brought around.

And all he could think was poor Lestan.

He almost felt he understood him, now.

Sometimes, he dreamed of the things he saw the day Foxglove, Peridot, and Carnelian had found him, but he slept more anyways. The dreams did not comfort him, but they were better than the reality he found when waking.

Today, he slept, and a howl broke his dreams.

It took Everett a moment to realize he was not in the land of fire. The sun burned bright and the birds offered their morning chatter, and Tybault's voice lingered on the air. 

Tybault.

Calling for him, and Reverie.

Everett followed after a moment's hesitation. Reverie would be there - but Tybault! Reina.

Tybault. Reina. Tybault. Reina. Soon, his paws clipped along like a beating drum.

Sometging swirled in his chest. Excitement? Anxiety? They felt so much alike. What would he find when he found them? What would they see, when they saw him? Had the herbs worn away? Had his bones filled out again? Had his eyes lost the circles from every sleepless night?

He felt exhausted and frail, but he could not see. He just tried not to worry; tried to just follow.

Hastening paws led him on. Reina! he howled, to let them know he was coming,  Tybault!

He had waited so long.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
171 Posts
Ooc — Kitt
The Valley had been a surprise to Reina. She hadn't expected to be brought here, but it all started to make sense as she recalled previous discussions about traveling. The news had initially excited her. However, her anticipation was dampened when Ruin emerged and disrupted her plans. What stung more than anything was that the pack had chosen to abandon her, proceeding with their departure without her. Unbeknownst to her, there was a different reason behind their actions, and she had been the last straw.

The fact they left her behind would have been her last straw, until she heard her name carried by the wind, followed by Tybault’s, causing her heart to quicken with each approaching footstep.

It stopped her in her tracks; her head high, ears on a swivel, eyes scanning for the one who called to them. Then, she caught sight of him — Everett. Her heart sang out to him, but it hesitated and stumbled. She instinctively took a step back as the silver-coated male drew near, her unresolved emotions fluttering just beneath the surface, an icy veneer masking a storm of abandonment and hurt feelings. She understood deep down that her resentment was misplaced; his actions were necessary for his sister and her children's well-being. She knew she shouldn't hold it against him.

Yet, she did — selfishly so. She wished he had chosen her as well.

Observing him closely, she noticed a haunted, weary look in his eyes, a far cry from his usual. What had transpired while they were gone?

“Everett.” His name left her lips as a soft plea, a mix of longing and sadness for all that had been missed. She had stepped around Tybault, her eyes never leaving the iron-clad fallen angel, as her paws carried her closer. She stopped short before him.

Mere seconds had passed as scents hit her nares and she breathed them in—Reverie and the girls, they were close. And, so was Dusty Rose? Not truly far fetched to find his scent mingled with theirs. When they had formally met, he had caught a bird for the girls to play with—he must have brought something to them, again. It was kind of him. She liked that about the coywolf.

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Player may use vulgar language and may write about sensitive/difficult topics that might offend others. Discretion is advised.
I will ALWAYS discuss plot points and address any and all concerns regarding any of my toons, threads, or even specific posts. It is NOT my intention to cause anyone discomfort; I am merely interested in creating stories and building my writing skills.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
156 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Everett found them first. His brother received a tired smile by way of greeting, but the expression soon faded as Tybault took in the gaunt, haunted look he wore. His own expression turned grim. Tybault was silent, stepping closer to brush his shoulder along Everett's briefly in silent solidarity. He didn't know what had happened. But he knew that Dusty Rose's scent was on the breeze, mingling heavily with that of his sister and her family, and already his hackles were lifting along his spine.

He allowed Reina and Everett a moment of reunion before beckoning them both onward. They didn't need to go far. Tybault stiffened the moment his eyes landed on his sister, flicking briefly to the ratfaced little shit she'd apparently chosen to warm her bed. He recalled his last words to Dusty Rose.

His jaw tightened painfully.

What the fuck is going on? His eyes found Everett as he finished. Why did his brother look like hell? Why was Dusty Rose here, where the scent of Reverie's children was strongest? And where were the girls?

Tybault eyed Dusty Rose then, as if he suspected the coywolf had eaten them. Part of him did wonder.
Pledged
hi im baby
217 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
It was only as Tybault's eyes landed on him that Dusty Rose remembered their "disagreement" — and that the man would undoubtedly be upset about what had transpired while he was gone. Still, the reaction was a little puzzling, since Dusty Rose had never actually agreed to any staying away from Reverie, and had invited Tybault change his mind — an invitation which had, he recalled, been summarily dismissed.

He was doing exactly what Tybault should have expected him to be doing, really.

His ears tremored while he listened for the other shoe to drop, the chips to fall, etc... but he stayed right where he was, remaining seated so that, if Tybault decided to attack, it would be clear it was unprovoked. His liquid blue eyes were calm and inquisitive, his shoulders relaxed.

Go on, he thought, his tail whisking across the dirt in a friendly sort of manner. Make my day, asshole.

Part of him was worried, though. Tybault looked as though he'd seen better days.
* Dusty is a little shit who is always up in people's business. Feel free to bite him and inflict minor injuries without asking permission.
Pledged
1,541 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Reverie did not share Dusty Rose's concerns about provocation, or how any of it might seem.

Of course, it was good to see Reina, good to see her alive and relatively healthy, and her heart ached to see Tybault in such a sorry state. He looked thinner, haggard. So much like Everett... Everett, who seemed to have followed the pair.

But all of that fell to the wayside when Tybault, after weeks apart and so much worrying, greeted her by saying what the fuck is going on? Not even a hello! Reverie took a step forward, already bristling a little herself in response to her brother's clear agitation. She glanced only once to Dusty Rose, eyes softening for a brief moment as she looked at him. He seemed so unbothered by it all. She loved that about him.

But then her eyes found Tybault again. A - a lot has happened, Tybault. I don't know if Everett told you... Her gaze shifted briefly to her older brother, darkening with grief and shame. We can talk about it later, okay? You're home - both of you. Reverie looked over to Reina, too, as she said it. You should both get some rest.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer
the weeping prophet
105 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
It was so strange, how in this moment, he felt more comfort from Tybault than he ever had before. Nothing had changed, and everything had, and when Tybault brushed against him, Everett buried his nose in his brother's neck for a long moment. Inhaled -- then pulled away with a sigh and a look he knew he would have to explain.

He turned to Reina instead. 

Reina, he stopped short before her too, the air alight between them. But a flurry of everything hit him all at one - grief, remorse, regret, guilt. His tongue felt heavy again, and parched; words faltered behind parted lips. I'm sorry, was all that came out. The only words he seemed to know how to say anymore, and they fell from his mouth just as heavy as they had with Reverie.

Misunderstanding after misunderstanding. He should have looked for Reina - what kind of a man was he? He should have believed Reverie would be fine - look at his fear she'd replaced his help already.

They reached them as if in cue.

Everett swung around to face his sister and her newest fling.

His eyes met Tybault's, but Reverie was speaking before he could edge a word in.

A lot only happened because Reverie wouldn't listen. They could have been through things now if she'd only believed him, and trusted him for who he'd always proven himself to be since leaving the Gilded Sea!

He sighed. So, so tired. And so, so tempted to say things he know he shouldn't. 

Stop.

Breathe.

He shook his head.

It can wait until you're rested, he said as he turned to his brother and Reina again, everyone's okay. It's nothing that can't wait.

It had been a misunderstanding, after all. Something he and Reverie should talk through first.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
171 Posts
Ooc — Kitt
His apology, though minimalistic at best, held more than what was actually said; it melted her just ever so slightly, his I’m sorry like an ember. Though small, it still gave off warmth. The ice around her heart began melting, forming into a single tear that slid down her cheek, but he would have to do more than that to truly shatter them completely.

And, truthfully, Reina, herself, did not know what that meant. She was truly tired. Emotionally, mentally, physically exhausted from everything.

Yet, Tybault’s outburst had caught her attention. She followed Everett’s turn, eyeing the two as they approached. It can wait. You need rest. Everyone is okay.

What the hell happened?

And, why was Dusty Rose’s and Reverie’s scents combining, the scent much stronger now and tied together, unlike before when smelled them on the wind, separately. It could only have meant one thing—only one thing could join scents in such a way. No, Reverie…you didn’t. How could you?

The damn broke. Her ice walls shattered, but water did not flow, no. No, it was liquid fire. “No, I don’t want to rest. What did happen here, Reverie? Hmm? Let’s recap, shall we? We’ll start at the beginning. you kissed me and then left me. I stepped into the Marsh to escape you, the Hushed Willows, just for a little while, and, while doing so, I got kidnapped. Fun fact: the man who took me was the same man that killed my family. How fun is that? Tybault found me and killed the man. When he found me I was addle-brained on poppy—but I’m fine now, thank you for asking. Oh, wait, silly me, you didn’t—but I cleaned up and spent days healing your brother enough to travel. Now, we’re here.” Her breathing was fast and hard. She was seething, eyes as dark as stormy skies. It did not escape her that the admission would be a shock, possibly more so to Everett, in her case; she would have to deal with that later.

Her heart had been, and still remains, broken—Reverie needed to answer for it.

“Your turn. What. Happened. Here. And, why do you,” nodding to both Reverie and Dusty Rose, “both smell as if you’ve soaked in each other’s bath water?”
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
156 Posts
Ooc — xynien

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Wolf racism, violence, language
Reverie tried to brush him off; Everett tried to placate them all. But Tybault was getting pretty fucking sick of his sister and her games. She'd sent him on a suicide mission, a journey across countless miles to retrieve a woman who had hated him, to kill a man for that purpose — now he came home to Everett looking worn and beaten, and Reverie cuddled up to the shadiest motherfucker in the pack, looking perfectly content to him. Her happiness sat prettily on its high shelf, bought at the expense of everyone around her. As usual. Reina’s outburst was only more proof of that.

His debt was paid twice over in blood, he thought. There was no longer any reason to subscribe to her bullshit.

Yeah, Rev, what the fuck? Tybault’s voice rose, eyes fixing on the grey rat as he interrupted Reina’s final words. Couldn't she see what was going on here? We spend weeks out there on our own, trying not to fucking die, and you're here playing happy family with him? You think you can trust him? I know bastards like him. He’s a fuckin’ rat. Here for a good time, gone when it's not so good. That one’ll probably rob you blind on his way out, too.

Somewhere during his tirade, his gaze had shifted to Reverie.

You know what? Fuck this, He took another step forward, this time moving with purpose toward Dusty Rose. Whatever Tybault’s intentions were, no one would ever know. Maybe not even him. Before anything else could happen, even a second thought crossing his frenzied mind, Reverie darted into his path with teeth closing around his muzzle.

It was only natural to react. He didn't really mean to hurt her, only to hold her there for a moment. She should have expected it. Should have stayed still rather than wrenching away. It was just like Reverie to turn a simple thing into a spectacle.

That was what he would tell himself later.
Pledged
1,541 Posts
Ooc — xynien
All at once the floodgates opened. On the heels of Reina's outpouring of anger and hurt came Tybault's questioning, his outrage. There was no time even to say anything. He stepped forward and she reacted, thoughtlessly, snarling as she snapped for his muzzle much the way she'd snapped at Everett. Reverie would tolerate their venom, their anger for her, but she wouldn't let Tybault anywhere near Dusty Rose.

What she did not expect was for her brother, normally so tolerant of her even in these tense moments, to snap. He caught her throat and she flinched away reflexively, feeling warm pressure for a moment. Then it was gone. Her throat felt wet.

Oh, She said softly, abruptly going still as blood began to pour down her chest. ... ow. That's no good, Reverie thought dizzily — and then there were no more thoughts.
Pledged
hi im baby
217 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
These things had never made sense to him. The vitriol was astounding, considering their main complaint seemed to be, I was miserable and suffering; why weren't you suffering miserably too? He didn't know of anyone he loved who he wouldn't rather see happy in his absence, even if he was doing poorly himself.

But he supposed the hurt came from romantic betrayal more than anything else; they both wanted Reverie to themselves. That made sense to the coywolf, who still could not muster any real sympathy. He affected it because he knew it was what he was meant to feel, but every ounce of it was fabricated.

He was thinking, I wonder when they kissed.

He was thinking, Oh, Reverie — you really can't keep it in your pants.

He was thinking, Finally, bring it on! as Tybault finally snapped and launched himself in the coywolf's direction. And he'd be lying if he said he didn't expect Reverie to butt in, but it still came as an unpleasant (albeit highly flattering) surprise when teeth meant for him tore into her instead. And if it'd been any other place, any other angle, he might've sat back and let them duke it out.

But it was Reverie's throat. And before he could even react, there was blood.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Dusty Rose berated them both, rushing forward to to help, to get between them, to hold his One in her dying moments — he didn't know. So he tried to do all three for a heartbeat, his eyes wild with terror for her, and for himself if she were to perish.

He wasn't ready.
* Dusty is a little shit who is always up in people's business. Feel free to bite him and inflict minor injuries without asking permission.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer
the weeping prophet
105 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
And just like that, the fire consumed them.

Reina broke first; Everett broke second. Wordless, he turned to her, and the world seemed to slow, to stop.

You kissed me you kissed me you kissed me

Reverie? Reina?

What? but his voice was drowned by the inferno, not just of Reina, but of Tybault now - yet his mind stayed on Reina, and his gaze held her fast. Shadowed. Hurt. Breaking from - from - breaking from the fever that had held him since that man had taken her.

He had broken for her. He would have killed for her. He would have sought her, too - found her, if Reverie hadn't stopped -

Reverie.

If Reverie hadn't stopped him. Reverie who'd kissed her. Reverie - who'd surely known why he'd needed to go. Reverie, who implied the pack would splinter without him. Reverie, who'd knocked him aside as soon as she had someone to knock her up. Reverie, who would not listen. Reverie - Reverie -

Reverie, whose blood seeped from her throat -

dripped down -

stained the ground.

Reverie - 

REVERIE!

The world swirled back into some kind of motion - sped up and brilliant, in every terrible way. Fire lit the trees, danced at the edge of his vision. Not now - not NOW!

Hold her there! he shouted at someone - he didn't know! Dusty Rose? Tybault? Whose own mouth dripped with Reverie's blood. Who'd struck her like Everett had struck her - stop the bleeding! I'm getting help!

His eyes graced Reina - deep, broken, unreadable - thought maybe she would follow - didn't wait to find out. Fire danced around her face - around hers, around Reverie's - and Rose stood behind her, half eaten by flames. shaking her head.

Everett turned back and he raced for Swiftcurrent Creek.
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer*
171 Posts
Ooc — Kitt
Implosion at its finest lol lort this thread is a gem <3 last Rei post

She had not meant for things to unravel. Her shattered heart was bleeding and someone needed to answer for it. However, not like this…

Tybault had snapped, his aggression aimed for Dusty Rose, and Reverie intercepted him in his path, taking the brunt that was meant for the coywolf. Now, Reverie was bleeding out, lying wounded in pool of blood; a true fallen angel knocking on Heaven’s gate, or, was she closer to knocking on the gates of Hell? Either way, Reina was not ready for a world without Reverie in it, despite her hateful feelings for the woman.

Shimmering blues held Everett’s gaze before he hurried away, to seek help for his sister, his eyes giving away the brokenness Reina’s Revelation had caused. It was not like that, please, believe me, she begged silently, to understand that it had not been her intent. He had no words for her, and she had none for him, none for the others to hear, anyway. It was not the time. She let him depart on his own.

The Hushed Willows healer rushed to Reverie’s side, murmuring comfort and words only meant for her—whether they were heard or not, she did not know. There were words she had always wanted to tell her, but hadn’t been able to with all that had gone on for the past few months. All she knew, however, was that her skills were going to be put to the test here and she needed to focus, yet the closeness of their proximity threatened to distract her. 

Dusty Rose was still close by, she did not have to turn to find him, his scent was heavy, and she quickly remembered that Reverie belonged to him now. The golden angel had never belonged to her and she needed to let that go. Reverie needed Dusty Rose, as much as Reina did not want to admit it. As kindly as she could muster, she asked for his help. Her paws had laid along the wound, attempting to bring the tattered skin together and pressure to the area to slow the bleeding, but she couldn’t stay like this, Reverie needed more than her paws to heal the wound. 

All anger and vitriol that she felt had died the moment Reverie’s blood spilled, her voice somber, but strong as her eyes found the coywolf. “Dusty Rose, I need to stabilize her, but I need more. Everett has gone, Tybault is currently too out of commission for directions, and you are left. I know you do not want to leave her like this, trust me, I would feel the same. Despite my outburst, I do not want this, I never wanted this to happen. Truthfully, there is a part of me that will always love the Angel that saved me, but I know that she is yours, now, and she will be safe with me, I promise you—I owe her that much. Please.”

She looked between him and Reverie, her gaze lingering on the angel before she spoke again. This time, it was instructions for Dusty Rose: gather marigold and cob webs. One to prevent infection, one to stop the bleeding. She would do the applying herself. It would keep her for now until Everett returned.

Once all was said and done, she would not stay.

Mature Content Warning

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Player may use vulgar language and may write about sensitive/difficult topics that might offend others. Discretion is advised.
I will ALWAYS discuss plot points and address any and all concerns regarding any of my toons, threads, or even specific posts. It is NOT my intention to cause anyone discomfort; I am merely interested in creating stories and building my writing skills.
Pledged
hi im baby
217 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Dusty Rose barely heard Reina over the rising panic in his mind, but he managed to do as he was told and gathered the required ingredients. He tried not to think Rev Soup as he did so, but the mind was a powerful thing. He was a wreck by the time he got back, snot-nosed and red-eyed when he crouched nearby to murmur sweet nothings into his wife's deaf ears.

These things happen.

Why do they always happen to me?

Last Dusty post unless he is needed again?