Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Somehow, Meerkat found herself holding the highest rank in the pack excepting its injured Alpha. With @Wintersbane out of commission, she imagined it fell to her to sort out next steps. She had never felt less prepared for or qualified for anything in her life. She did not want to be a leader, though she could be a delegate and find someone more suitable for the job...

She would never forget Bronco's attitude following the fall of Moonspear and Firefly Glen, how he had gathered together the survivors and guided them. She tried to channel that energy as she went pacing through the territory, trying to keep in mind that this was a great opportunity to flex her life coaching skills. But who could she cheerlead into leadership?

One wolf came to mind immediately, though Meerkat knew she was biased. Would that pack even accept @Issorartuyok if he took the helm? Wasn't he currently occupying the lowest rank in the pack, with much to prove? She trusted his merits, though she might be alone in that. Besides, wasn't there someone else who'd been around longer who might be worthier of consideration?

She should call a pack meeting, she knew. But first, she sought out the man she had in mind. Meerkat needed to talk to someone about all of this. Besides, there was something else she needed to discuss with Issorartuyok: it looked like their road trip might have to be postponed indefinitely.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The news that Wintersbane had been grievously injured had not yet reached the ears of the fierce northerner. He had spent his days dutifully tending to the borders of the glacier and working diligently to increase their prey caches for the cold months. Already, autumn had shifted into a chilly state. Each day filled the skies with heavy clouds and frigid winds carried promise of winter upon its breath.

On that day, Issorartuyok had filled his time with hunting. He had created a large meat storage site where he had deposited several bodies of prey, filling the stores as high as he could. If he was to be preparing to travel with the young scout, he knew that he would need to leave the village with plenty of food and stocks to keep them strong. Two wolves venturing from the claimed land meant that they would not be as powerful. Issorartuyok wished to keep the village in perfect order, even in their absence.

Ahead, a familiar shape fell into sight. The northerner drew his broad skull upward and chuffed out a greeting to the scout, hoping that he might slow her pace. Meerkat looked to be deep in her thoughts. As Issorartuyok approached, trotting swiftly, he wondered what might have been troubling the younger woman.

Glacier scout, you move on swift paws, the large male boomed in greeting.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
The unusually severe look on her face softened the moment she spotted him. Issorartuyok called out a greeting and she hastened her step, the meaning of his words lost in her distraction even as she savored the relief she felt merely being in his company. She halted perhaps a yard from him, attention fixed on his familiar, strong features.

"The glacier needs someone to step up as leader now that Wintersbane's incapacitated," Meerkat said without preamble, unaware that this was news to her swarthy friend. "I'm the highest ranking wolf in the pack besides him and I can't—I don't—" Abruptly, she grew flustered.

After stopping to take a couple deep breaths, Meerkat's eyes rested beseechingly on his face. "I know you're more experienced. I want to guide the pack in this but I honestly need some guidance myself," the yearling freely admitted. "What should I do? Call a pack meeting? Ask for volunteers? Or...?"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The thoughts that weighed on her mind did not rest there for long. As the speckled woman approached him, she let her words flow freely. The northerner reared his head back, surprised at her forward nature, at the way she seemed to have forgotten their agreement – Issorartuyok wondered if she was testing his resolve, making sure that he would not dishonor the promise that he had given her.

I am… confused, the large male finally stated with a thoughtful frown.

Meerkat, I gave you my word that you would not need to worry about me overthrowing your village leader. I made an agreement with the Bane of Winter, himself, that I would serve this place until I could make a wife and a family.

Issorartuyok felt that if he reminded her of their agreements, she might feel more at ease. It was clear that the future of the glacier village was at risk. Winter was approaching and they would need to spend the months leading up to it in preparation. Without a leader, their people were more at risk. Without a leader, they were left to fend for themselves.

The village needs someone to lead it, with winter approaching. If you do not wish to take the role for yourself, that is fine, but someone must be appointed.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He met her concern with confusion, which made Meerkat blurt, "What?" She was depending on him to ground her and help her navigate next steps. Instead, he met her with bewilderment, which made her feel a little panicky.

But he quickly gathered himself and his next few words were a bit more reassuring. He mentioned appointing someone, which tracked with her scattered thoughts so far. Meerkat nodded jerkily.

There was one thing she knew for certain. "I'm not cut out for leadership." The thought of Meerkat as an Alpha was absurd. Surely he and the others would agree. "But I can help appoint someone. I mean, I think? I was thinking of calling a meeting to ask if anyone's—"

She cut off abruptly, eyes shrewdly boring into Issorartuyok's as she read between the lines. "Are you saying I should skip that step and just pick someone?" Meerkat demanded quietly. "But I don't know who's interested or qualified..." Except for you...
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The uncertainty that she expressed was troubling, but Issorartuyok did not allow for it to persuade his own emotions. It was important that there were those with level heads.

Meerkat had been a member of the glacier village for a good deal longer than he had. She had worked with the children there, had built her own reputation up so that her peers trusted and admired her work, and she had been dutiful to the leadership until that point. It did not show poorly on her abilities that she would be uncertain. It was a challenging scenario to find oneself in, even the northerner could recognize that. Nevertheless, they needed someone to guide their group forward.

Perhaps, yes, the large male nodded his head slowly. Let us discuss the benefits of your options, hmm?

Issorartuyok frowned again, his mind sorting through the troubles that had been set before him.

What trouble could arise from accepting volunteers? Are there any among us that you would not trust to lead the village? Do you not think that they would trust your word, if you should appoint a temporary leader without hearing their voices?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He proposed they weigh her options and she nodded jerkily again, letting out a shaky breath. Meerkat rolled her shoulders and wriggled her forelimbs, trying to ease some of the tension she was holding there. Be like Bronco, she silently reminded herself, not without a twinge of heartache. At least it served to ground her.

He threw three questions her way and she took a moment to process before answering the last one first. "The thing is, they've all been around longer than I have. It doesn't feel right to make this call without consulting them, you know? I don't even know how I ended up as the pack's Gamma, if I'm honest." But that was neither here nor there right now.

"I don't feel confident in my ability to simply appoint someone," she said a bit more decisively. Maybe it wasn't the answer he wanted but it was the truth. "We could take volunteers and put it to a vote?" Meerkat thought aloud, eyes probing his face to see if that idea had any merits.

She realized she hadn't really answered his other two inquiries. Well, perhaps the idea of making a democratic process covered the one. As for the other... "I trust everyone who lives here, but that doesn't mean they're fit to lead, or want to lead. We need to find someone who's both of those things, ideally, don't we?"
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It served a much better purpose, breaking down the options and covering the questions that rose with them. It seemed to allow Meerkat a moment to think through each potential. In this there was a resounding faith in the wolves of the village, and a glimpse at the lacking belief she had within herself. This was a subject that he did not feel was easy to brush over. Issorartuyok had never been capable of comments made in a throwaway manner, not without inserting a literal response.

You are in the position you are because you have earned it, that is clear.

The northerner’s mouth lifted in the remnants of a smile.

I believe you know what must be done. Call the village and speak to them the way you do so well – with honesty. Ask if there are those who would like to step forward, then perhaps listen to what the others will say.

It seemed h it was the best chance for the glacier to meet and connect, for every voice to be heard. Without their leader, it would leave their people in distress. If the scout could pull them together as one and be sure that their voices were not ignored, Issorartuyok hoped that there would be no difficulties. He did not like to see the young woman so distressed.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She didn't argue. Meerkat knew she had merits, though she didn't really understand why she should be ranked above those with a lot more longevity and loyalty than herself. Now wasn't the time to get into it, though.

Issorartuyok concurred with her proposal. Well, there was no time like the present. Meerkat gave him a nod and a shaky smile, then sucked in a huge breath and promptly swung her head skyward to summon the rest of the Duskfire Glacier pack.

604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
I tried to keep things vague, but I'm tagging @Wintersbane just to take a look and make sure I'm describing his condition correctly. Veteran will be attending too, I'm just not posting him yet. Anyone who wants, feel free to pp Vet as arriving alongside your character (maybe Wayfarer or Sikuliak?).

At first, when Lane heard Meerkat's summons she experienced a frantic moment in which she was certain that it was another emergency. If she had learned anything from her time in Firefly Glen, it was that disasters tended to happen one on top of the other. Life never seemed to care whether there had been sufficient time to recover from the first catastrophe before it conjured up another one. 

But no.. it was merely a pack summons. Lane drifted toward the call like a zombie, exhausted by the enormous effort of keeping Wintersbane alive. Even with all of the healers taking shifts, they were just managing to stay ahead of his cascade of symptoms. 

When she arrived, she nodded wearily to Meerkat and Tatkret. Her coat was hopelessly disheveled and she reeked of the burn balm she'd been producing in mass quantities, but doubtless they would forgive her for her bedraggled appearance.
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Weariness had a relentless grip on Tzila as of late. First the struggles with controlling the violent tendencies of her daughter, and now Wintersbane's fragile condition. Ever since that terrible day, she was anywhere but close to the borders, as if having put her role aside. Instead, she stayed by her husbands side, day and night.

The only time when she begrudgingly pried herself away was to hunt, attend to personal business or spend some time with her sons. It was touch and go each day. She never knew if she would awake to find him alive with each new morning. Her patience with Makatza during this time was dangerously thin. The slightest wrong move on her daughters part would render a snapping of teeth or a hard, disciplinary muzzle grab. Tzila was once again, teetering on the edge between light and dark.

She heard Meerkat's howl, summoning the Glacier wolves together. She lifted her head up from where it had been draped over the slouched shoulders over her unmoving husband. For hours on end, she had lain like this with him. Curled around his form protectively, hopeful that on some level, her presence would be felt and soothed. She almost laid her head back down, but forced herself to rise. This was important, and she respected Meerkat. Reminding herself that she was not alone during these trials, she set out. Waiting for her were Meerkat, Issorartuyok and Lane. Seeing them affirmed that she had allies here. Friends, with whom she could rely and depend on. She slipped up to Lane, completely ignoring her less than presentable appearance and horrendous smell, and nuzzled into her shoulder, as if to share her grief.
38 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
It was all set in stone from here on out. Her mother was not usable anymore. Her mother had a short temper with her all the damn time, even when Makatza tried to visit her father, see how he was doing it felt like her mother was constantly watching her, on edge or expecting her to misbehave. Like she ever would misbehave! Her mother curled up in there, she stopped grooming, she stopped protecting the borders, she became helpless, weak. Not fit to lead the rest of the pack. She saw it with every passing day and for every day that passed where her father left no sign to become better, the more her own strength grew.

When Meerkat called for the entire pack she was keen on not going. But as she heard the call was for everyone, she figured now was as good as time as any. She headed for the pack meeting, she watched her mother nuzzle into Lane's shoulder, she watched as everyone came and while Makatza had lots of things to say, lots of anger and issues she wanted to direct at everyone, she stayed quiet. By herself.

She decided to stay behind anyone who came, she let it be known she was there, but for a change Makatza was silence as the grave, she said and did nothing, didn't look at anyone but Meerkat, wondering what this woman wanted now. Though she had an idea what this was about she didn't find herself liking it, but for now she had to see what was going to happen, she had to bide her time.
Don't fear The Darkness
238 Posts
Ooc — Liv
please ping me to edit if needed! <3

Eldritch had her paws full, that was for certain. 
She checked on Rye's son as often as she could, and checked on @Wintersbane even more often than that. She assumed she was not the only doctor doing so, either. 

Today a call from Meerkat rang out, and hesitantly, she followed @Tzila to the meeting with one last glance to Wintersbane. 

It's seemed others were gathering there too, and Eldritch found a place within the bodies to listen to what was needed to be said. 
She could guess, but as almost always, the Seer was silent, watchful.
Eldritch is fluent in Daedric (Valryian) thanks to Aerenys having taught her the language behind the scenes
206 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Ensio had been reclusive as of late, but that didn't mean the events that transpired in the Glacier were lost to him. Riddled with conflicting emotions at the downfall of his father, he almost felt misplaced. He tried to comfort his mother where he could. The rest of his time he spent with his half siblings, or lurking in the background, silently watching.

To say his mood was stormy was an understatement. Unlike his mother, he kept his emotions carefully hidden, for now. Upon hearing Meerkat call the pack together, he was swift to rise and go to meet the gathering. Slipping in, he brushed by his mom fondly, but said nothing. Makatza he ignored, despite the urge to send her an icy glare. He placed himself towards the front of the group and sat down. Stone faced and serious, as if understanding the gravity of the situation at hand.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Not everyone's posted but I want to keep this moving! (The others are of course welcome to pop in anytime.) Posting is open and I'll begin another round in no more than one week.

Several members arrived soon after her summons, giving Meerkat a little confidence boost. It quailed a little when she saw Makatza. She wondered if the young girl would bring trouble today as she always seemed to do. The yearling stowed that possibly uncharitable thought as two others filed in after her. Soon, there was a small group surrounding Meerkat and Issorartuyok. Keyword: "small."

Where's Rye and Imaq? She wasn't so concerned with the rest of the pups, though she did wish everyone was here. Meerkat almost opened her mouth to inquire, then clapped it shut. Maybe they were just keeping an eye on the kids? Or maybe even Wintersbane? That didn't explain the radio silence, though as the moments stretched on and they didn't appear, she decided she needed to proceed before their collective nerves frayed.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming so quickly. I'll keep this brief and to the point. We need a leader now that Wintersbane's..." Meerkat didn't know the right word in that moment, though her brown eyes sought his mate and frowned sympathetically. "We need someone who's both interested in and qualified for the role," she continued after barely taking a breath. And I know I'm neither. "If you think that description fits you, speak up and hopefully we can make a decision as a group."

She glanced over at Issorartuyok, her gaze asking, How'd I do? There was part of her that wanted to nominate him, though she held her tongue. If he wanted to volunteer, that was up to him. What Meerkat could do was vouch for him. Maybe he wasn't occupying a high rank, though she was, so she could lift him up with her words. But for now, she fell silent, waiting to see how this unfolded.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Wolves gathered to listen to Meerkat.

The young scout stepped forward and addressed them carefully. Issorartuyok listened to her with a small nod of his head. As he looked out across the village, he realized that he did not know very many of them, that he was still new to their people. As the glacier’s scout cut right to the point, requesting that those who were interested in leadership speak up so that they could discuss it and arrive to a decision, the northerner listened closely.

The earthy brown of his eyes traveled toward the others, waiting to see if there would be any who might step before him. When they did not, at least not right away, the northerner lifted his head and smiled gently toward Meerkat.

I will submit myself for leadership. I am new to this village, but it is my duty to protect it and my desire to lead. I have been honest about this since the start.

Issorartuyok looked to the wolves who had gathered and bowed his head so that they might consider him. His figure was proud, but he did what he could to seem open to their word or speculation.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane seemed to come to herself a bit as Tzila nuzzled into her shoulder, and she placed a few comforting licks on her friend's crown. Veteran appeared and cuddled against her on her other side. It left Lane feeling a little claustrophobic, but she uncharacteristically endured, knowing that Tzila needed the support and Veteran needed to feel safe at her side, given Makatza's close proximity. 

Meerkat spoke briefly, requesting that would-be leaders speak up. This was the way of things, Lane remembered from Firefly Glen's downfall. Those who were less affected by tragedy were ultimately responsible for moving the pack forward. Lane's exhausted mind began drifting down a rabbit hole, wondering what had ever happened to Bronco, Antares, Keyni, and the others...

Tatkret spoke, nominating himself, and Lane's attention snapped sharply back to the present. She looked around, noting how Tatkret seemed a bit removed from everyone. It contrasted with her own position, smack in the middle of the group, with a former alpha leaned against her right side and a Duskfire child snuggled into her left. 

Tatkret was clearly a natural leader, but he might need help earning the pack's support. 

Lane shifted to her feet, moving slowly so as not to abruptly displace those leaned against her. She drifted to Tatkret's side, and then she turned to the pack to address them. 

"Tatkret has my support. The North has supplied several strong leaders to the Teekon Wilds, and I'm confident that he is one of them."  She paused, drawing in a breath. "And if you'll have me, I'd like to lead beside him, just temporarily-- until Wintersbane is well enough to assume his rightful place." As a founding member and a Duskfire mother, Lane's presence in leadership would represent the interests of both the youngest and the oldest members. Duskfire Glacier would be able to move forward with strong, capable leadership, but Lane would also make sure it retained important aspects of tradition and culture. 

Of course, Lane's motivations for leadership were also self-serving. Had this opportunity not spontaneously arisen, she likely would have left the ranks of Duskfire entirely, convinced that was her only way to protect her children from Makatza. But fate now offered her a new path.
38 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
Nothing about this meeting pleased her. Nothing about it made her feel good. She had left rather suddenly when they had been presented with pumpkins and had only shown herself around her father's sick bed. She was slowly realizing there was nothing she could do. The adults seemed keen on deciding everything by themselves, nominating some stranger. What a joke.

What a joke. She began giggling. Then right out laught as Lane supported this claim from the usurper. Makatza began walking forward then she snarled at the male known as Takret. "Usurper! You dare and try and take the position of power because my father is sick?" She felt enraged, but worst of all she felt betrayed by everyone else. No one seemed to stop this, no one seemed to think this was a power move from him, to just step in at a grieve moment and take power. She looked at her mother.

"If anyone should have this position it should be someone fit for the position, someone born to this role." She looked around at the adults, angry that none of them at thought better of this situation. Then she huffed and shook her head. They were useless these adults. To think that none of them would have given this chance to a royal child to prove that they were worthy. Sure they were young, but if someone could stand beside them and lead, they could learn, hone their skills.

"I Nominate Ensio. With someone strong to stand beside him and guide him."

She had already decided. Back with the pumpkin incident. Her faith was sealed. Ensio had to take over. No one would chose a monster princess, no one would pick Makatza and she realized that. Though she knew deep down they were all wrong and had misjudged her. But there was nothing left for her here. Not with her father too sick to even recognize her.

She looked at the stranger and then her eyes became dangerous. "And I don't mean you." She looked at the adults again then shrugged. "Lane could support Ensio." With all of that said she then closed her eyes. Her faith was indeed sealed for good here. She then began to take her leave, she didn't stop for anything or anyone, instead she took quick strides off from the scene. When she was a good distance away she took a glance back at her brother. "Good luck." And with those last words she began to run. She had no intention of looking back again, no reason to. Her mother hated her, only her father seemed to tolerate her, and he was possibly never going to be himself again.

She ran until she reached the borders and then she stopped. She wanted to look back but decided not to. She instead ran. She left the glacier behind and everything that ever happened there. She had no intention of returning.

With that Makatza leaves Duskfire Glacier.
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Meerkat didn't waste any time in getting straight to the point. Something Tzila appreciated. Someone amongst them needed to fill in the Leadership role while Wintersbane was down for the count. She sighed and waited while the others spoke up. Said their piece. Her silver eyes landed on Tatkret, considering him. Then Lane spoke up, offering herself to support him at his side.

She cleared her throat. "Under normal circumstances, I would not hesitate to offer myself." She let her eyes settle between those gathered. Most pointedly on her son and daughter. "I have been in numerous packs over the years and I know from experience what qualities are required in a fit leader." Her ears flitted back. "That is not me. Not while I fret and worry over my husband and children."

"Tatkret. Lane. You both have my full support. I will stand by you until Wintersbane has recovered and he is fit to lead again. If that day ever comes. I trust you both to continue to uphold the Glacier's best interests as he did." Makatza had another outburst. Her final one. But before she could run off, she snapped towards her. "No, Makatza. Your brother is too young. Strength alone does not dictate leadership. Nor is it born by blood." She watched her run off then, away from the Glacier. Tzila made no move to stop her. Call it cruel or tough love, but it might be what her daughter needed. Huffing, she turned back to Tatkret, Lane and Meerkat. "If I may have a word with you three, once our business here is concluded?"
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her stomach fluttered when Issorartuyok submitted his bid. Meerkat tensed, wondering what the others would say in response. Lane was the first to speak, immediately offering her support. Although this was what the yearling wanted to hear, she felt an almost queasy feeling when Lane called him Tatkret. Tzila raised her voice in unity with the decision, which was the ideal outcome of this whole scenario, yet Meerkat felt as if her insides were curdling as she realized that Issorartuyok and Lane would become the Alpha pair.

Makatza's outburst startled her, though it wasn't particularly surprising, was it? Meerkat's lips parted when the girl ranted before fleeing the scene. She blinked. Had it been any other pup, she might've felt the urge to go after her. But the yearling remained rooted to the spot, gaze shifting over to the girl's mother to gauge her reaction. She decided to take Tzila's lead and ignore the dramatics entirely.

Fighting the ache in her belly, Meerkat nodded to no one in particular. "Well, we all seem to be on the same page. I'm glad," she said a little stiffly. She suddenly hoped Wintersbane would recover quickly and reprise his role, which was a decidedly selfish thought. Her skin felt warm and she wanted to be done here.

But Tzila wanted to confer with them. She glanced at Eldritch and Ensio, wondering whether they'd spoken and she'd missed it in her distraction. What did they think of how this had played out? How did Ensio feel about his sister's erratic nomination? And why did Tzila want to speak with her rather than the new leadership? Now that they'd elected the two of them, Meerkat's job here was done.

"Actually, I'm going to go check on her," the coach replied, glancing in the direction Makatza had gone before her eyes lowered. She had no intention of doing that but it was a handy if somewhat unlikely excuse. After all, who in their right mind would go looking for a raging Makatza? "Don't feel like you have to wait on me," Meerkat added, not quite looking at anyone in particular before quickly taking her leave.