Pledged
Dragonspine
872 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Joining 
Several hours later, Masquerade and @Riley arrived at the foot of the rise. They moved in silent tandem, largely because he was carrying two dead rabbits in his mouth. The Caru glanced at his injured paw, wondering how much worse it might feel after their endeavors, not to mention the long trek here.

As they peered at him, they heard their own voice in their head saying, “The rise could always use additional Fengtoth. Hunters and warriors.” Which one would suit him best, they wondered? But that wasn’t why the words replayed in their mind. While tag-teaming the hunt with him, Masquerade had had a small epiphany.

They gave him a look as if to ask, Are you ready? But Masque did not wait for affirmation before pointing their ruddy muzzle toward the setting sun and requesting the presence of @Avicus, @Lilia or @Augur on the east side of the rise.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
lol and I thought this was gonna be another PSYCH! tag XD

Never far from the borders, Lilia moved at an extended trot once summoned by Masque. It was very seldom that the Caru requested anything of her directly, as they'd taken very different paths in life that converged now and again in caring for the pack's young. By and large, she'd found the combined efforts of all who'd stepped in to care for the young in Avicus' absence to be incredibly successful, and now that she had returned, the children could move on in life without having to surrender to the non-linear pangs of grief. 

She assumed that Masque had met someone along the borders, perhaps waiting for someone to pass by. Her clear sky gaze found Masque in a position alongside the stranger, however, in a manner that expressed some level of familiarity. She eyed up the man, his stocky build and the reptilian glow of his wide-set eyes. She noticed the rabbits with a deft flick of her gaze, barely acknowledging them. The children could catch rabbits at this age. This appeared to be more of a means of appeasement, preferred to showing up empty-handed, but not exactly a flex. 

She eyed him, bristling but calm, before she turned a much milder gaze to Masque. "Thomeone you know?" She asked, knowing that Masque would be both succinct in delivering an introduction.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He hears the call of his older sibling. The aspiring fighter decides to go investigate the commotion.

There, he spies Masque, joined by a strangely familiar dark figure. A man—he recalls he and his mother had encountered him some time before. Lilia meets them and he can faintly pick up on the ensuing conversation. 

Silent, he observes the scene from afar for now.
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
430 Posts
Ooc —
As they made for the Rise, Riley realized he had seen these foothills before. The footpaths were different, but the Rise slouched from a greying countryside like a hunched predator. He eyed the hills in dread.

He consciously tried to favor his sore limb as they drew closer. He understood the concept here: here sits a capable male, a possible asset to your pack -- except he was damaged goods, and what pack took in stragglers?

There was little warmth in the woman that greeted him. She assessed him in a manner clinical and almost familiar -- she was joined by another face, this one as watchful as the last time Riley had seen him. Stupidly, he continued holding the rabbits, glancing to Masquerade as if to implore her to take the lead.
Pledged
Dragonspine
872 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The Caru remained silent and still when Lilia approached, eyeing Riley critically for a few beats before questioning Masquerade. They glanced at him, reflecting on their brief acquaintance, before training their eyes forward. Masque focused on a spot just to the left of Lilia’s shoulder.

Not particularly well, they said truthfully, prepared to elaborate when Mulherin slunk onto the scene.

Their head raised a fraction as they gazed at him. Masque smiled, their long tail giving a couple welcoming twitches, before once more focusing on the task at hand.

This is Riley Redpath. Despite an injured paw, we managed to catch these rabbits. We coordinated cohesively, so I think he’d make a good Bjern or Ulfr. But that’s up to the leadership, they acknowledged.

They considered saying what else was on their mind, though Masquerade stowed it for later. This rendezvous wasn’t about them, it was about Riley. They dipped their head and sidestepped, moving nearer to Mulherin to observe Lilia’s and Riley’s interaction.

Please feel free to skip me. :)
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
the scent of any unfamiliar male had augur's attention.

winter would be upon them. a hungry time. but thereafter, the young females of the rise would come into their own, and his teeth would be unleashed.

it was on stiff legs he attended the meeting. a tail wave for the son of red woman, a rumble for thorn caller, an attentive blink toward wolverine, who had already begun the assessment.

the man was well-honed, with dark shades which reminded the man of blacktail. but his eyes were a simmering brightness, pieces of fire in the night of his face.

sun stone then, he would be. he was a male in his prime, not a boy leaving yearlinghood behind him, and augur tipped a wondering look at thorn caller.

but for now he shook out his nape, indicating peace so long as the stranger kept it.
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Mulherin had the effect of putting a spoon of honey into a cup of tea for both of the Rise wolves. Lilia realized her own features had softened when she'd glanced over to welcome him, and looked to Masque to see that the effect was not something she experienced alone. She felt proud, then, and hoped Riley realized what he was witnessing; they were a pack who cared for and nurtured their own. They started young, reaching toward towering expectations with the resilience of a creeping vine. 

Augur approached, assessed the male without trepidation and seemed unphased with what he saw. Lilia looked to the stranger's forepaws, wondering which one was hurt, and how it had happened. With assistance, it seemed he could hunt rabbits- and that would have been a reasonable accomplishment, but the Berserkr knew how adept Masque was in the hunt. 

She pulled a faint smile. "Anyone could pull off a catch if they had your help, Mathque," The Caru was a skilled hunter, which had not escaped Lilia's notice. Still, Masque was not the sort of wolf to vouch for someone if she didn't have faith in them. She turned her gaze, not a bit lighter, to the man. She gave him a gentle nod; he'd be welcome amongst them, and she anticipated good things from him. It was good to have another adult in the pack, after all. It had been some time since they'd had someone fresh. He would be Blod until he proved himself, the same as anyone else.

"Got anythin' to thay for yuhthelf?" She asked then with a light laugh, partially wanting to at least give him a break from holding both rabbits in his mouth, wondering if she might glean some of what Masque saw in him from how he spoke when given the opportunity.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He listens closely, exchanging glances with his packmates—his family.

This was the first time he’d encountered a stranger willing to join their ranks. A quiet apprehension simmered within. It would take some time for him to warm up.

Finally, he chooses to join the Caru’s side and strides forth, butting his crown into their shoulder as he does so; an affectionate greeting.

His exterior betrays no emotion as he once again eyes the dark man and waits for him to speak.
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
430 Posts
Ooc —
Grateful for Masque’s lead, Riley remained silent. His paw hurt, but he pressed the annoyance aside.

He was studied by several eyes. A new male strode to join them, commanding and stiff legged — but the loose shake of his ruff spoke of his ease with Riley’s presence. Riley averted his gaze from each of them, focused now on the rabbit between his teeth.

The seeming leader appraised Masque’s hunting skills; Riley was too slow to analyze if there was a barb in there intended for him. He’d noticed, however, that the yearling seemed to soften the edges of this crowd — more obvious then, was the sudden realization this was not a coalition of strangers, but a family.

When prompted to speak, Riley shook his head. Mno, He answered, having little to say for himself — but belatedly, remembering his manners, he spoke Thank you.::

The rabbit was pushed towards them, his eyes lowered to the stubble of stones at his feet.
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
he was submissive enough and carried himself well.

augur snorted to dispel any lingering tension, lowering his muzzle to offer his own scent to the younger male.

a show of growling and low rumbles sounded then, augur touching each of the others in turn and aligning himself with wolverine. she had accepted sun stone. he would also.

if there was nothing else, the huntlead would stretch, yawn, and head off at a lope into the territory, indicating he did not feel the need to dominate the newest male of the rise.
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Lilia licked her chops, relaxing her features and when Riley expressed a fairly casual personality, she moved forward with a low whuff to greet him, and to accept his scent as well as to lend hers so that he would be included in their group's collective scent. He seemed humble enough, and in spite of his injury, she figured he'd likely heal up fine and be another useful hunter. Masque wouldn't likely have vouched for him if there was a chance he'd be lazy. 

Augur turned away to leave the group and Lilia cast a warm glance to Masque, a wink to Mulherin and a nod to Riley, before she trotted after Augur, a light and playful bounce in her stride. A low grumble expressed her desire to hunt, and burn off a little energy with the Ulfhedinn.

last for me!
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
Both their leaders accept without issue.

A part of him is crestfallen, he’d expected more of a reaction.

The pair leave amiably, but he chooses to stay put. He wordlessly idles beside the Caru, focusing on Riley still. 

Whatever Masque does next, he will shadow.
Pledged
Dragonspine
872 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The leaders accepted Riley without much fanfare. Masquerade looked up from where they were nipping at the tips of Mulherin’s whiskers to watch them depart, Augur first followed by Lilia.

Masque glanced between the new recruit and their younger brother. They were quietly proud of having brought someone so promising into the ranks. And with the two leaders gone, they were the authority figure in this small group again.

I guess we should cache these then, Masque said, staring at the two rabbits left behind despite Riley’s offering. You grab one, they said to him, then shifted their gaze to Mul, and you take the other. I’ll lead the way. We can show Riley the rest of the stockpiles after we drop them off.

Itinerary decided, Masque’s long tail twitched upward as they strode forward into the rise, the two men and their rabbits hopefully in tow.