Hideaway Strath stained coffee mugs
46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Joining 

She was somewhere new. Again. But this time she had came to the realization that if she did not find somewhere to stay she might wind up being eaten or simply wither away. She was not much to look at now, rough and thinning out. No sign of her mother anywhere she had passed through.

After her last encounter with someone who claimed to be a pack wolf, she was hesitant to approach these borders. Even if that inkling of survival instinct told her she must. Anxiously she shifted her weight around as she debated a few things.

Why couldn't she just disappear like her mother had? Why had she set out to do the right thing only for it to turn out so wrong?

She shook her head and a sound close to guh escaped her. She couldn't give up hope so soon. She had to keep going. Or at least keep living. Hesitantly she tipped her head back to let out a small call.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee's orange eyes tracked the small wolf's movements as it neared the pass. Her nostrils flared, catching its scent on the breeze: female, young. As she came closer, the vigilant Kilonova saw that she was quite skinny, though otherwise in decent shape. Her eyes narrowed.

Right as the pup was throwing back her head to howl, Towhee made her presence known. -"Who are you? What are you doing here?"- she demanded brusquely, unable to help herself from thinking of Rowan. Was this another "lost" Blackfeather spawn?
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Her call was cut short, as if just thinking about it had summoned the sharp woman. The stranger was signing but to Dorea their movement was odd but she made no comment. This was not her place to do so and instead of snapping back she simply bit her tongue to collect herself. Although her mother may be gone, her lessons certainly were not.

Dorea. She stated clear although it lacked her usual proud tone. My mother is gone. I want to join here. That's how it was done, right? Stating her intentions and hoping that it worked out.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Dorea," the child's lips told her, right before she explained that her mother was gone and that she wanted to join Asterism Grove. For several beats, Towhee just stared, her expression hard. Her right eye started to twitch a little at the corner.

-"Who is your mother and where did she go? Where did you come from?"- the Kilonova wanted to know, ignoring the pup's bid to join. She wasn't feeling particularly charitable lately, especially toward strange youths. She tended to be more lenient toward the young, certainly, but she was nothing if not pragmatic and would not simply take on some random mouth to feed.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Part of her had hoped they wouldn't have to discuss her mother, metaphorically digging her nails deeper into the wound of abandonment. She had foolishly figured this would be all about her. Unbeknownst to her most adults would raise questions about a rogue child!

Chusi. I don't know. She admitted with a sharp frown cutting into her face. She just left. The frown was now accompanied by furrowing brows. She was not going to throw a tantrum or cry but her displeasure with everything was rather obvious. Elysium. She had been born elsewhere but the peaceful pack was where she had most recently been who she affiliated with.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Neither name meant anything to Towhee. She noted Dorea's frown, meeting it with one of her own. Why the hell had this kid come knocking on their door?

-"Where is Elysium? Why didn't someone else from the pack take you in when your mother left? What about your dad?"- Even as she interrogated Dorea, it occurred to her that these questions might be difficult. Her expression softened, though only a little, as she added, -"Help me understand why you've shown up here and why you think you'll find refuge among a bunch of complete strangers."-

46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Far. Mountains and willow trees. She roughly described as she racked her brain for a real name of the place it might be. Of course, nothing came to her. Then came questions that were a bit heavier for her to try and tackle.

"What about your dad?"

Who was he? Where was he? It opened more questions than it did answers. Questions that she should have grappled with a mother rather than a stranger. I don't think I have one. It felt stupid to say but it was all she could give and still be truthful. I can't go back and...I can't be alone. She was loathe to admit it but even she knew she would meet a harsh end if she kept up her wild roaming. All I have is strangers. She realized now that perhaps the that sucks she had received from the rude woman was more fitting than ever.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Dorea said she didn't have a father, which of course was biologically impossible, though Towhee knew what it meant. What she didn't understand was why this pup would leave her home. Parents aside, surely there were others at this Elysium who could take care of her. She wasn't at all satisfied with the kid's answers.

-"What do you mean, you can't go back? Why? You're right, you can't be alone at your age. But your pack, this Elysium, should be looking after you. Why aren't you with them?"- Towhee pressed, eyes boring into the child, full of speculation.

46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
I hardly even know anyone. I wasn't even born there. I don't know the way back. She explained as she slumped down onto her rear as though all the mental heaviness began to physically manifest. I wanted to find my mom but she's just gone. It's like...it's like — There was a hitch in her breathing as she stared at the ground for a few moments. Eyes watered but she feverishly blinked to clear her vision. It's like she was never there. She finally finished as her gaze looked back up at the woman.

Dorea had never felt smaller, emotionally mainly but physically as well. This woman was right and the Fearghal child couldn't yell at her or tell her she was wrong. What was she doing here? Why had she thought any of this was a good idea?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Dorea's answer perplexed Towhee. How could she not know her own pack mates? This whole scenario smelled bad, though she couldn't help but think, At least she's not a Blackfeather. Or was she?

-"Where were you born?"- she asked right before Dorea suddenly slumped as if beneath the weight of some invisible burden. Towhee could see her lips moving but since the pup was now staring at the ground, she couldn't make out the words.

-"Dorea, look at me when you speak. I'm deaf,"- Towhee said patiently. -"I didn't catch what you just said about where you were born,"- she added, unaware that Dorea had said something else altogether.

46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Some creek. But that didn't feel like it mattered now. She had not grown to know the place or to truly call it home. Confined to the den until her mother up and moved them. It wasn't where she belonged and it made no sense to try to go back there.

Oh. The woman was deaf. Perhaps that explained a few things but regardless of that thinking, Dorea made sure to look directly at her now. I, uh, said that...it's like she was never there. Never anywhere. Not here. Just...gone. She awkwardly elaborated feeling discomfort and embarrassment creep over her features. She had started off confident in her skills but it seemed the woman had peeled it back to expose her anxious core. For she could not even begin to describe how utterly useless and hopeless she felt.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Some creek," Dorea supplied unhelpfully. Towhee bit back a sigh, glad at least that the child had obliged her by looking up when she spoke. She studied Dorea thoughtfully, weighing her options.

She supposed they could take in Dorea; a third pup wouldn't be much harder to feed and care for than two. And Towhee wasn't sure she could turn away a child in good conscience, even if the whole situation was very odd to her. Why were there so many pups wandering around by themselves lately?

-"Okay,"- she said after some deliberation, -"here's what's going to happen. I'll give you food and shelter, if you promise to listen, obey and work hard. I don't care that you're young, I still expect you to contribute. And if your mother comes looking for you, you'll go with her."- Towhee wasn't thrilled but it was better than leaving a lost little girl to die, she supposed.

Idly, she wondered what'd happen if @Phox overruled her decision or if Dorea proved to be a bad fit with the pack. Would Towhee be able to punt her from the ranks? She looked at the child coolly, nodding decisively to herself. Her own family came first. She wouldn't like it but if they ended up having to turn her away, at least Towhee would know that she'd tried.

46 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Then things shifted and it seemed that maybe there was some kind of light at the end of all of this. I promise. I can do that. Her head gave a few nods in agreement after her words. She fell silent for a few beats before she remembered all of her manners. Thank you. This stranger very well could have shooed her off or even been more hostile. Luckily (in a weird way, she considered it lucky) she had only been subjected to heavy questions that she had done her best to answer.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She debated mentioning the consequences if Dorea didn't do as she was told, then decided against it. Now that Towhee's suspicions had settled a little, she could see how worn out she seemed. Some of those maternal instincts were kicking in after all. She didn't need to harangue the girl any further, or downright frighten her, either.

-"Come on, I'll take you to the rendezvous site to meet my brother, Phox, and my kids, @Figment and @Fennec,"- Towhee said, then motioned for Dorea to come walk beside her. -"I'll find you something to eat on the way."- She lapsed into silence then, striding purposefully toward the grove's hub.

Last post from me. Welcome to AG! :)