Sun Mote Copse Brave as a noun
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Even though Towhee could see both sides of the issue, she felt her jaw clench when Niamh signed dismissively at Phox. Next thing she knew, Niamh was speaking and signing rapidly, most of her dialogue aimed at Phox. She felt her fur prickling as her friend reamed out her brother. Towhee knew it was hypocritical to think, with her own history of melodramatic rows, but she didn't know why they couldn't remain civil. They were all adults.

"It is—" she began to say, preparing to agree that everyone covering for Nellie was sort of strange and Towhee definitely understood Niamh's ire there. But then Niamh implied everyone was a fucking lunatic, right before telling Phox, point blank, that she couldn't forgive him unless he apologized for not breaking his promise. The mercenary's mouth clapped shut, teeth grinding again.

Towhee twitched when Phox abruptly departed at that point. She wanted to go after him, though she remained rooted to the spot. He probably needed space, although she would catch up to him soon enough. In the meantime, she peered pensively into the woods where he had gone before slowly swinging her orange gaze back to Niamh.

It seemed like it would be easiest if Phox just said a few measly words, produced the apology Niamh wanted, but... "If he gave you what you wanted, it would be a lie anyway. It would be disingenuous. I'm sure he is sorry for causing you any extra grief and for all this..." Towhee gestured vaguely. "But he kept a promise. It was a hard and shitty and weird promise but he kept it because that's the kind of guy he is. And it was important to your daughter, for whatever reason." Her lips pursed. Surely that meant something. "I totally understand why you're angry too. But I don't think holding it against him will help with that, any more than I really believe an apology would've magically made everything better. It's done and there's nothing else anyone can do about it, except decide where to go from here."

She paused for a long moment, then grimaced and admitted, "I can't say I think you two have a romantic future after this, though we all live together, so I think you should consider trying to forgive him, for your sake as much as his and everyone else's. Holding a grudge will only make you and everyone else miserable. And what's the point of that?" Towhee exhaled, then continued, "And there's one more thing. I really didn't want to get in the middle of this but look where I'm standing. I don't want to be forced to choose a side, so please don't make me. Phox is my brother and my baby daddy," and though she didn't say it, the inference was clear. "I don't want to ever have to make that choice. It's so unnecessary. Right?"

Towhee couldn't help but think of their fight of yore. It had been much, much uglier, making this look like a little lovers' spat. It had taken a lot of time but she had finally forgiven Niamh. Although she didn't say it out loud, she thought it: if they could come back from that, then surely Phox and Niamh could come back from this, in time.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messages In This Thread
Brave as a noun - by Phox - January 23, 2020, 05:15 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by RIP Niamh - January 23, 2020, 08:30 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by Phox - January 23, 2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by RIP Niamh - January 23, 2020, 10:41 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by Phox - January 23, 2020, 10:55 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by RIP Niamh - January 23, 2020, 11:17 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by Phox - January 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by RIP Niamh - January 23, 2020, 11:41 PM
RE: Brave as a noun - by Phox - January 24, 2020, 08:31 AM
RE: Brave as a noun - by Towhee - January 24, 2020, 10:36 AM
RE: Brave as a noun - by RIP Niamh - January 24, 2020, 04:35 PM