Dragoncrest Cliffs starcadian
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
All Welcome 
It was nice, having a traveling companion again. It didn’t matter that he didn’t know @Phox particularly well. He jabbered at his uncle the whole way, covering as much ground conversationally as they did with their paws. Quite often, Caracal found himself circling back to Towhee and, particularly, the younger siblings she currently carried.

But it was his older sister and her babies that brought them here to the rugged coastline. Caracal couldn’t see the surf from here but he could hear it pounding rhythmically in the near distance. He looked around, recollecting the last time he’d been here with a very different father figure, then sought his uncle’s eye.

Wanna do the honors, Uncle Ph? he asked brightly.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Germanicus had given him a way to visit Meerkat (and her children?!), and Phox was more than thrilled to do so. Caracal had tagged along, talking his hear off, but Phox didn't complain even once. He would take that to the silence that he'd known all those months searching for Niamh. It was good to be around so much family again, whether or not they were particularly close.

I do wanna, he said, then raised his snout to the sky and called for @Meerkat. Phox couldn't say he remembered the last time he saw her, but he knew it would be good to see her again. It felt like it had been lifetimes!
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Much as she loved her babies, Meerkat sometimes needed to leave the den to toilet, stretch her legs or just breathe fresh air for a few moments. On such occasions, she left the tiny trio tucked up against their father with a promise not to stray far or be gone long, as if such things were even possible.

But when a familiar voice rose up from near the borders during one such brief excursion, the new mother couldn’t resist. @Njord, Meerkat said a little breathlessly, popping her head back into the burrow, that’s my dad calling. They exchanged a look of understanding before she withdrew and began loping toward the inland stretch of borders.

She found not only Phox but Caracal there too. Dad! Caracal! Meerkat greeted, moving forward to brush her snout against each of theirs. Her eyes danced. It’s so good to see you! What brings you here? She had her own good news to share, of course, but her eyes flicked between their faces, wondering what news they brought with them today.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
The yearling smiled broadly as Phox sent up the howl. He gazed at his uncle, knowing he was just as excited for Towhee’s litter. Phox would actually get to help raise them, lucky guy! Caracal was a bit bummed that he’d miss out on that experience, though he definitely wasn’t about to bail on the pack whose name he couldn’t pronounce, specifically @Lane and his apprenticeship.

His older sister’s prompt appearance scattered his thoughts. Hey! he hollered happily, tail swinging and thumping Phox’s hip on every other switch. We came to see you, duh! Caracal replied. We heard you’re livin’ the apple pie life, huh? His eyes brushed over her midsection, remembering how Towhee’s was a little tubbier than usual. Meerkat looked fairly trim to him, though…

He glanced over at Phox, aware that his uncle probably wanted to do the honors but unable to resist facing Meerkat again and gushing, Mom’s gonna have more babies soon! And she has a new m—uh, partner thingy! She wanted us to tell you that and ask when you’re gonna make her some grandbabies.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Caracal was quick to greet and spill the beans about Towhee. That was all fine by Phox, who'd done his fair share of news-sharing during his lifetime. He was sure he'd have more chances in the future, anyhow.

I think Caracal covered just about everything. How's life here on the coast? You liking it okay? Phox's brief experience with coast life was... well, less pleasant than it ever should have been. He was much happier on dry land, far away from those memories.
player preferences
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She braced herself, just in case there was bad news to come. But as soon as Caracal blurted the news about their mother, she relaxed and let out a relieved huff of laughter. Meerkat’s eyes brightened, lips curving into a grin. Who was Towhee’s new partner, she wondered? She was a little surprised that she’d chosen one, after all that had happened with Reyes, but mostly she was just happy for her mom.

Her eyes took on a conspiratorial twinkle when Caracal mentioned Towhee’s wish for grandchildren. Before saying anything on the matter, her gaze shifted to her dad, face softening as he asked her about life here on the coast. Meerkat felt an intense compulsion to hug him and did just that. It was so good to see him in such a positive context. She held him tightly for a moment before releasing him and stepping back.

Life is wonderful here, she said a bit breathily. I’m married now. Njord is everything I ever could’ve asked for in a mate. And… Meerkat paused for effect, chest practically bursting with the news. You guys can tell mom it’s already done. I gave birth to two boys and a girl just a couple weeks ago: Stingray, Swordfish and Vixen. Her eyes lingered warmly on Phox’s face in particular as she spoke her daughter’s name.

Of course, she wanted to ask more about their own lives. Were they both living with Towhee in Mereo nowadays? But Meerkat remained mum, her entire face shining as she awaited their reactions to her happiest of news.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Evidently, that was a mission already accomplished. Well, holy butts! Caracal exclaimed, tail practically spinning, it wagged so fast and hard. Mom’s gonna pee herself when I tell her, he added with a boyish laugh. Congrats! Can we meet them? he pressed, not really thinking about how it might not be kosher to cross the borders, much less peek in on some newborns still fresh out of the oven.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox's mouth turned into an O when Meerkat mentioned marriage. That was a funny way of phrasing it. He realized that he hadn't heard anybody call it that since Camilla had been in his life (maysherestinpeace). There was a pause then, followed by not entirely unsurprising news, given her recent courtship. Phox felt a pang of sadness that he hadn't even met the guy who had given Meerkat children of her own. At least he had known Bronco, even if they hadn't seen each other in ages now.

The last pup's name wasn't lost on him, of course. Those are lovely names, he said. And, let's be real, he was happy to see their family tradition carried on to the next generation. He had to believe Vixen would look either like her great aunt Wildfire or perhaps she even looked like him!

He gave Caracal a sharp look when he asked to meet them, though obviously Phox had the same thought.

We don't want to intrude, but if everyone here is okay with it...
player preferences
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
As much as she would love to show off her children to her family, Meerkat hesitated, worrying at her lip. She wasn’t entirely sure how the leadership might feel about bringing outsiders into the territory. Furthermore, she ought to consult with Njord before bringing around visitors from outside the pack. She shouldn’t just appear at the den with two guests in tow.

She could see the excitement in her father’s and brother’s faces, which made it hard to say the words, though Meerkat knew it was for the best. I would love for you to meet them, she began, the incoming “but…” rather obvious by the look on her face. I would have to ask Njord and my leaders about it first, which unfortunately couldn’t simply happen on the spot, even though they’d come all this way.

They’re so little right now, there’s not much to them, Meerkat went on after a deep breath, but if you’re able to visit again in another month or two, they’ll be much more interactive. And they might actually stand a chance of remembering the rendezvous, which would be nice. I know it’s quite a ways, so we could always wait until all the pups—mom’s new ones included—are old enough to travel and arrange a play date in the middle somewhere, she suggested, trying to offset the collective disappointment.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Phox’s use of the word “intrude” made his ears twitch. Would they really be intruders? They were family! With that said, he supposed he understood when Meerkat explained why visiting the babies wasn’t possible today. He felt greatly disappointed, though his sister made valid points. He certainly couldn’t and wouldn’t hold it against her.

Hey, that’s okay! he piped up immediately. I bet they’re cute as shit but, yeah, I heard they’re basically just turds with faces for like the first month or two. Caracal laughed at his own punniness, winking before glancing at his uncle’s face and saying, I’m sure mom would love a play date, right? I’m totally gonna crash it, he warned with another laugh.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Wrapping for us.

If either of them were disappointed, they didn’t show it. Meerkat smiled, grateful and relieved, her eyes resting on Caracal’s face as he enthused about arranging a playdate with their mother and her newest batch.

It’s not crashing if you’re invited, Meerkat teased. Let’s make some plans then. But first, I wanna hear all about what you guys have been up to lately. Are you both living in Mereo?

Phox did, but Caracal was now living with a pack out west. He quickly launched into that whole story, with Phox chiming in every now and then to share anecdotes about the soldierly life. It sounded like everything was pretty good with them, which was a blessing Meerkat did not for an instant take for granted.