Northstar Vale hold out for june
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
Private 
technically set for tomorrow morning but wanted it up while it was in my head lol <3

the goat skin had indeed been brought from mereo. he figured if anything it may comfort @Towhee during this next stretch of recovery. even as he realized most of the place here was...softer than mereo. mosses and trees. everything seemed so lively, even in the increasingly cold air.

it was the first morning he had felt peace in the last few days.

seated at the mouth of their den. eyes examining the vale for what felt like the first time. there had been no call at dawn, no late nights that had kept him away for long.

he felt softer already, in a good way.

learing ptero from towhee. words that are signed will be portrayed -like this-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I had literally just written a post for you and it only needed some slight tweaking to work here, lol.

Slowly, Towhee stepped into the open air to join her mate, cold air filling her lungs and soothing the inflammation along her back. She missed their cozy stone dwelling in Mereo’s married housing, though this fresh air and all these colors were pretty hard to beat. She took a moment to admire the fiery red maples stretching as far as the eye could see before eventually turning her gaze to Maxim.

She reached out to gently touch his shoulder before saying, -“Hey, you. How’re you doing with everything?”-
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician

truthfully, he would have been soothed by her presence alone. content to sit in silence and share delicate touches. he had not missed the way the pain morphed her at times. nor did he blame her one bit for it.

but he caught the words and motion of her paws that followed the touch.

-and if i tell you i don't know?- he laughed, tired and soft. -i think about you and your recovery. practically every moment.-

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He didn’t know. Fair enough, she thought, studying his face and trying to get a deeper read. She was touched by his next words, though Towhee shook her head at him.

-“I’m not going to be exactly the same as before,”- she allowed, steadily holding his gaze, -“but I’m going to be okay.”

She finally broke eye contact to glance at the sweeping red forest. There was only one suitable word for it: gorgeous. Towhee had enjoyed life in Mereo, yet she had only been here a brief time and she already felt like she could breathe easier. And it wasn’t just because of all the foliage.

-“I wanted to apologize for being a dingus and walking into a fucking tree. I didn’t mean to make you worry, or rush. I totally fucked up any chance at a going away party.”- Would she even be Towhee Redhawk if she didn’t make an inappropriately time joke? -“But seriously… sorry, love,”- she finished softly.

She flushed a little when the pet name slipped out, though Towhee didn’t regret it. It was kind of crazy that she would find herself here: married to the love of her life, retiring in paradise. Of course, life was far from perfect and the circumstances were less than ideal in a lot of ways, but the thought made her snort all the same.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
oops this got long-winded with the thoughts

still he worried. meadow had quickly proved to be a skilled healer, aquene was only a call away. still. but all he could do was trust her, like he frequently did.

so he settled into silence for the brief part between words shared. he did his best to imagine her fully mended as he had taken for granted so many times before. how lively epoch would be when she could simply be towhee, freely, throughout the vale. this of course made him imagine jack, yelling and crashing through the woods. followed closely by leo.

it was not hard to imagine life in epoch, he realized.

here their family would blossom and grow in ways it could not in mereo.

he wanted to hush her apologies, to assure a going away party could still be had. even if they had already gone. but there was something there that felt more important. even if it had been fleeting. a pet name. not like hubby and wifey they nonchalantly joked about.

this had come freely and without effort or humor.

she would more than likely read the softening of emotions on his face. how this last near year suddenly felt like a lifetime. how he realized they had seen so much. together.

now they retired their proverbial swords, after only but a year. at peace (somewhat, at least) with the mark left upon mereo.

he would do it all over again and again and again. if ever given the chance.

-i love you, towhee.-

he could not tear his gaze away from her in the next passing moments.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
They are SO SOFT and I adore it.

She sobered quickly when she saw the contemplative look currently in residence on Maxim’s face. Towhee fancied she could see the cogs turning there. Patiently, she waited him out. She supposed it was possible he wouldn’t accept her apology, though she knew him too well to be nervous about that.

Right before he made his declaration, his face softened. Hers did the very same. Oh lort, he’s about to get sappy, she thought with secret glee. The first five years of her life had been starved of any semblance of romance, and now she glutted on it.

-“I know,”- she replied, reaching up to poke his cheek. -“I love you too. I’m glad you’re my husband, even if I still hate that term, and even though it’s not required anymore,”- Towhee observed with a little laugh, leaning in to snuffle in his ear before fixing the angle to smooch him right below his eye.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
yeah they instantly melt me every time and I'm not even mad ♥️

he found, now, that he was not constantly poised as a soldier affection came easier. he leaned into the sniffles and the kiss. almost bashful beneath it! even more flustered beneath her words. perhaps the warmth from his face radiated.

but he turned his muzzle to carefully place a kiss on her cheek.

-whole days can be spent like this now.- an observation that he made with a still soft look in his olive eyes. -and i won't make you call me husband once during them.- he teased, warmth in his voice that showed on his face.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He made an observation which made her blink. Towhee’s belly swooped. He was right, of course. They would still patrol, she was certain, and uphold whatever duties befell them here. But they would not spend their days soldiering from sunup to sundown. So much free time was a little hard to grasp, at the moment.

-“I like calling you that, though,”- Towhee said, affectionately toying with the tufts of fur on his crown. -“I mean, I don’t like that specific word but I like the… sentiment. I like having you by my side for everything. I like doing life together.”-

The voice that always whispered warnings in the back of her mind at moments like this stayed silent. Perhaps she’d left it behind in Mereo. Maybe it was because he’d made such a huge move with her. Maybe it was because they were actively choosing to stay together now, rather than because it was any sort of requirement. Maybe this place was like some hippie retreat, infusing her with positive thoughts.

Towhee didn’t know. She didn’t care. She leaned forward so her chin touched his shoulder, then arced her neck to Maxim’s in a loose embrace, just glad she could fully live in and enjoy the moment for once.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
-good. you're stuck with me for life.- he allowed himself this peace, this love. leaned into her for it. this moment was not gripped with having to leave for a patrol or wondering if he'd be called for a lesson.

he only thought about them.

about a life together.

-i haven't talked to tamar and arsenio about...our future. fighting chance at beta, if that's a thing here, or spring.-

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
-“Good,”- she echoed him.

She had to laugh, a little, when he immediately brought up ranks and breeding privileges. Towhee didn’t blame him for it. Their future opportunities felt almost endless here.

-“I’d say there’s plenty of time to figure it out,”- she said, wishing she could lean on him but settling back so they could converse, -“but you should talk to them about it soon, especially if it’ll put your mind at ease.”-

Towhee now smoothed a paw down his shoulder to his elbow, face thoughtful. Perhaps they should’ve addressed these matters prior to uprooting from Mereo, not that Towhee’s incident had given them the chance. Ignoring the twinge of frustration with herself, she supposed they ought to have these discussions sooner than later.

It seemed unlikely that Arsenio and Tamar would deny them these opportunities, yet especially if they would be refused breeding privileges, Towhee knew there was a good possibility they would not be able to stay here, after all. And though she supposed they could go anywhere, as long as they were together, Towhee really wanted this to work out.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
it would ease him. maybe more than he even wanted to admit! he wanted their future to be full of children still, he wanted things to strive for. just because he retired as soldier did not mean he wished to spend the next...lifetime, really, lounging about.

-it'd be good to know.- he answered a bit bashful. -did you want to talk to them together? or i can let you rest worry free, let me do the work.-

he moved to bump her chin with his nose.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
-“We can do it together if you want,”- she answered with a nod, -“but if the opportunity arises before I’m really able to be out and about, socializing, then you have my blessing to bring it up without me.”-

Towhee glanced off into the forest again. She reminded herself she planned to take it easy and give her aggravated flesh a proper chance to mend again. Surely she could stay put for a week. The trees tempted her, though. Maybe a brief walk wouldn’t do any harm.

Assuming all fours, she asked, Want to walk with me a bit? Not far, just maybe a couple dozen yards so I can stretch my legs?

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
her blessing! he smiled warmly and nodded.

only to become a bit...sweaty at the mention of a walk. he recalled how reyson had said a tree reopened things and this place was practically nothing but trees!

okay. his head nodded. well worn paths only. no...venturing off. his one condition! then he would be happy to walk with her those handful of yards.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
No venturing off, she agreed readily.

Sidling alongside him, Towhee made her way toward the nearby tree line and soon found herself dappled with sunlight and shadows. The forest smelled of a great many things. As her paws wandered, so did her mind.

I bet there’s so many fish and mushrooms around here, she broke a brief, companionable silence. I won’t be nursing anyone else’s litter again but I still plan to take all my prenatal vitamins, supposing another litter was in their future here.

Lips twitching, she tried to catch Maxim’s eye. Now that she knew he worried so much, she wanted to do everything she could to put his mind at ease. Towhee wanted him to know it wouldn’t be like the last time, that she would watch her diet and do whatever else it took to healthfully carry, deliver and raise a second batch of pups with him.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he softened again. he did not mean to, but there was something genuinely reassuring about her words. that she would watch after herself, care for herself. all in favor of a better future together.

he spared glances at her, as if they were not already a married couple.

maybe it will be easier not being praefectus either now... he did not despise mereo. only just realized how easier it would be to focus on family. you won't stress your body up until the last moment. he was not a midwife, but he imagined it must help in some way.

his mind already lived in spring and maybe it showed on the dopey smile that crossed his face.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He probably didn’t mean to imply anything, though his mention of her former rank and its impact on her fitness made Towhee think. If she aspired to leadership here, would it have a negative impact on her health? She imagined it wouldn’t be nearly as physically strenuous as the demands of Praefectus. She had been a leader and mother before, albeit at a younger age and with less battle wounds.

I definitely plan to give my body a rest, regardless of what the future holds. I’ll never be the type to sit still and lie around all day, though it’ll be nice to do things in my own time again. And whatever happens with future kids, I’m glad we’ll be able to spend a lot more time with Leo and Jack. We’ll all be able to explore our interests here, find hobbies and shit. It’s gonna be great.

They reached the point where Towhee felt like they ought to turn around and head back to the cave. She shuffled around slowly, pausing in a beam of sunshine to enjoy the warmth on her shoulders but moving back into the shade before it could start to aggravate the sensitive skin of her scars. The leaves swayed in a light breeze. She watched the shadows dance.

I’m going to start some classes, starting with signing lessons, she continued conversationally as she resumed walking. Some mercenary training too, when I’m up to it. I plan to instruct, mostly, oversee spars and offer pointers rather than being directly involved. Towhee looked to him as she spoke, wondering what Maxim made of these plans.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he wondered what leo and jack would do, seeing as the world had expanded over night for them. no longer destined to be soldiers. although that very well could be what they still wanted...

you're setting epoch up for great future success. he admired with a warm look, a bit of a charmed smile lingering on his face. i bet this could go beyond epoch even. maybe allies can attend your classes? was she interested in such a thing?

not that it really was even his place to discuss. he was no leader or officer here!

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His question made her think of all the outsiders always milling about the barracks back in Mereo. She had never really engaged with any of them beyond what the Imperator asked her to do directly. Towhee had reservations about spending her time and other resources on members of other packs, though she would try to stay open-minded.

That’s not really for me to decide. If Arsenio and Tamar want allies to attend my courses, then I’ll accommodate them, Towhee replied, then thought aloud, It won’t be any skin off my back—shit, bad joke—if one or two outsiders attend alongside members of the pack, will it?

They were back at the cave’s mouth again. Towhee peered inward for a moment, glad that it was airy and spacious, at least. She stepped inside, seeking out the goat skin Maxim had made sure to bring and slowly stretching out on it with a sigh.

Do me a favor? she asked after settling. Explore every inch of this place, then tell me what you find. I’m going to live vicariously through your reports until I can do it myself. If you find somewhere that might work as a den, let me know. I suppose we won’t need one until spring, though it’d be nice to pick one out ahead of time anyway. I’ve gotten kind of used to living under shelter, out of the elements…

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maybe fade for a report one?

his ears flicked back for but a moment. truly feeling a bit too big here. to suggest something that clearly was in control of the leaders! perhaps the embarrassed look on his face would be clearly readable to his mate. bad joke indeed. he attempted to move along, latched onto her humor. i don't even know if epoch has visitors like mereo did!

but soon enough they were back at home and he had been given a task by her. one that felt so much more his speed.

every night i'll come and tell you of a new place. he dared to lean in for an extra dose of affection, hoping to place a kiss to her cheek. and i'll make sure only the finest, most sheltered dens will be offered to you. this said with a dramatic flair and grin.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Sure!

We’ll find out soon enough, was all Towhee said regarding visitors.

Maxim swore to check in each evening with the results of his surveys. Towhee rolled her eyes at his sweet talk and his kiss, though she leaned into both with appreciation. The coming week would be challenging at best, downright difficult at worst, but Towhee was determined to be good to get better.

Get out of here, sap, she told him, slapping at his butt. Go on, scoot.