Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
All Welcome 
Her heart was light, quickening at the familiar sights. She had been away some time now, the voices of old guiding her on her quest away from the places she had known. Sixsix—her companion through thick and thin—circled above her. He had been invaluable these past months, helping to guide her to each destination. And it was he who led her here, to the sea where her dear village sister lay her head. Last they had spoken, Meerkat had spoken of an ugi, and Sialuk was keen to hear more.

From here, she could see the spear's tip barely peeking over the sides of the range that sat in front of it. She yearned to push forward, but she needed to rest for today. Assuming @Meerkat still lived here, she thought it her best bet. And so she called for her village sister, her voice older now and more settled than it had been when she had left the wilds.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Despite her cycle, her son remained her—their—priority. They coupled only when he slept, their trysts often brief and passionate. Meerkat let her husband and the others attend to @Swordfish (and @Quennell, of course) while she remained in the background, trying not to distract everyone with her scent.

Today, she left to gather some fresh bedding for the roja den. She’d collected a nice assortment of soft grasses and even some feathers to line the boys’ sickbed when she heard the call from the borders. It took a second for her to place the voice, though when she did, Meerkat’s heart leaped.

She promptly called for @Njord to accompany her to the borders so she could visit with her longtime friend. If he was too busy looking after their son, he would let her know and she could at least have a conversation with Sialuk from here in the meadow.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
942 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
If the voice had been male, Njord would have chased it off! He acted as Meerkat’s shadow – only reprieved when caring for Swordfish and Quennell.

However, the boys appeared to be on the upswing. When a howl called for Meerkat, it was an easy decision to walk beside her. He groomed her nape – part habit, part possessiveness – before they continued on to meet her visitor by the meadow.

His demeanor was like a freshly sharpened blade. Poised to cut. Unyielding. He had acted this way in season past, but not to this degree. Times had changed a once softer man. More than ever, the seafarer meant to keep his loved ones safe by any means.

A white woman waited for them. Njord red tail curled reflexively over his back. He felt many things, but looked to Meerkat to take her lead.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Meerkat's scent was unmistakable as she drew near, and the sight of the male at her side led Sialuk to believe this was the ugi her village sister had spoken of. He was a handsome thing, and Sialuk felt joy for her friend.

Meerkat! she greeted, her tail bobbing quickly from side-to-side. It is good to see your face! She let her eyes linger on the other wolf a moment longer. Is this the ugi you spoke of on our last meeting? she asked, a grin pulling at the corner of her mouth.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her mate soon appeared. Meerkat waved her tail, then stopped and gave him a slightly sheepish look. This was not the time to fan her scent everywhere and distract themselves. Gently, she nudged his cheek, then turned and trotted toward the sound of her friend’s call.

Sialuk! she shouted the same instant Sialuk said her own name. Laughing, Meerkat could only say, Same! She glanced over at Njord and added, Yes, this is my ugi, Njord. Njord, this is Sialuk, my former pack mate and dear friend.

Distance and time hadn’t changed that, she felt. Hoping the fact that she was in the middle of estrus wasn’t too awkward among women, she reached forward to brush her muzzle against Sialuk’s, before stepping back and taking a seat. Maybe that would help dissipate the scent some.

How are you? What have you been up to since we last spoke? Meerkat asked, already guessing, though she waited for Sialuk to confirm.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
942 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
The two women gushed like long-lost friends! It was something special to watch – especially the way Meerkat’s expressive features beamed with happiness.

Njord took a seat beside his wife as the two cohorts exchanged pleasantries.

Sialuk.
“It’s m’pleasure, Sialuk,” Njord replied genially with a smile. He was about to inject and ask exactly what the heck an ugi was, but Meerkat carried on into conversation.

Smiling, Njord simply basked in the back seat and admired the many ways Meerkat could show fondness to another person.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
idk if the misnaming was intentional or not, but lol

It truly felt as if time had not passed since they had last seen one another. Sialuk knew the same would be true when she reunited with anaa. Meerkat was family, just the same. Njord was a powerful name. Sialuk smiled softly when he repeated her name.

The raindrop returned her attention to Meerkat. The world treats me well. I have been gone from these lands many months, traveling and learning of herbs and spirits from many hunters and their wives. And you? she asked, eager to here all that had happened in the time between.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She fully expected Sialuk to mention an official reclamation of Moonspear. Instead, her friend spoke of leaving the area for many months. Meerkat didn’t hide a look of surprise, though she listened astutely as Sialuk shared the reason for her travels. By the time she finished, Meerkat’s face had gone back to a warm smile.

That sounds wonderful, Sialuk. Are you staying now that you’re back? Where could she find her friend, if she wanted to return the favor and pay a visit? As for us, she continued, smiling over at Njord, we were married near the start of spring, then we welcomed a litter about a month after that. They’re nearly grown, now! They’re named Stingray, Swordfish and Vixen.

There was a tightness to her eyes when she said the latter’s two names. She would tell Sialuk about Fish’s misfortune and mention her daughter’s departure at some later point in the conversation. For now, she would rather stick to the good news they each had to share.

Tell us all about these travels of yours. Are you a full-fledged healer now? Meerkat wondered, mulling this mention of herbs. Remember that time you bit me, then promptly began gathering up leaves to fix me up? she couldn’t help but muse.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
942 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
It was nice to see Meerkat so animated. To watch her gush about their family with pride. Njord’s expression softens as he observed with interest. Though his wife had told him many stories of her upbringing, meeting Sialuk was like witnessing a slice of her past life from a time capsule.

“Meerkat is a wonderful mother,” Njord appended fondly as Meerkat wrapped up their life synopsis.

His good ear cupped with attention when the baton was passed back to Sialuk, genuinely interested to learn more about the vagrant healer’s life.

Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Aya, she said. I will visit with Moonglow first, then return to Moonspear. Its spirit still calls to me. The mountain would always find a way to bring her home, she knew.

Ah, this is a blessing for you both! she beamed when Meerkat spoke of children. In the year past, she would have felt differently, but now she only held warmth in her heart for Meerkat and her ugi. They will be strong children with those names. The raindrop sensed there was more to say of them, but she did not pressure Meerkat to reveal more than she wished.

Meerkat is a wonderful mother. This does not bring surprise to me. Meerkat is a good sister, a good mother, and I am sure a good wife to you.

I did this thing?! she said laughing, the memory having slipped as it was in her youth. I am healer now, learning much of herbs and injuries during my travels. Much that I wish to share with others who give care.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk confirmed the plan she’d spoken of last time, which made Meerkat’s eyes shine. She had thought it might happen sooner, though it sounded as if Sialuk had taken the time to plan and prepare herself properly before returning to claim her birthplace. It all felt so right and part of Meerkat wished she could be there to support her in this endeavor.

She supposed she could, from afar. Meerkat smiled as her husband commended her, reaching over to put her smaller paw over his larger one and squeeze it as she leaned into him. She turned that same smile on Sialuk when she agreed with him, though all this talk of medicine reminded her about their son’s current state.

Our children are strong, she spoke in turn. Our daughter took after me and left us to travel a while back. Our sons are still here. Fish was actually injured recently but he’s strong, Meerkat repeated, and we have every reason to believe he’ll make a full recovery.

She squeezed her husband’s paw again, resting her head on his shoulder briefly, then sat up and let go of him. Even these small shifts of her body filled the air with her powerful scent. Meerkat let out a breath, then decided to address the elephant in the room.

We’re also planning to grow our family soon, she said, ducking her head a moment but laughing, about two moons from now.

Life had dealt them a pretty serious blow recently and the act of coupling with her mate whilst their son lay suffering in his sickbed made Meerkat feel some kind of way. But she could not resist her hormonal impulses, nor squander the pack’s blessing, not after Njord had toiled so hard to mend bridges these past few months.

It was always darkest before the dawn and Meerkat swore she could feel the sun peeking over the horizon, gilding their future.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
942 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Suddenly, Njord had an epiphany.

Moonglow. Sialuk. He knew these names! The seafarer had once traveled to the spine in search of answers. Matters of the heart. Kukutux had traded a song for an enchanted pink stone… and he had met Meerkat shortly after. Sialuk was Kukutux’s daughter… a wolf who peered into the future. And now, she was a wisened healer and traveler. Njord’s respect for the woman was already high, but it grew again exponentially. He would have to tell this serendipitous tale to Meerkat someday soon…

For now, he enjoyed the kind words passed between them all. He smiled. Yes, he was blessed to have such a wonderful wife – a true partner in all things.

The women laughed together over memories. Njord pined to know more!

And then the conversation turned to their children. Meerkat spoke of them with such pride! And soon, their family would grow. More bairns would be on the way… The man hummed with affection. “We’re lucky tae be so blessed,” he reflected. Despite all of life’s obstacles, they had a lot to be thankful for.

Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
More children! Sialuk delighted in hearing the news, and she bounced back and forth upon her feet. Ittuki! the raindrop beamed, so happy to hear that Meerkat would once again welcome babes into the world. Though Sialuk did not know her children from the past year, she could not contain her excitement. To hear of her village sister once more bringing life to this earth was a blessing.

Before they come, you make visit to Moonspear? Sialuk asked. With their older child hurt, she was not sure if it would be possible, but she wanted to ask. It would be good to have her village sister (and Njord, of course) to lay their eyes upon the spear.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk’s question gave Meerkat pause. Of course she wanted to promise her friend she would. But two things made her hesitate: she wasn’t entirely sure she could handle seeing Moonspear, even after all this time. But much more importantly, she wasn’t sure she could be apart from Swordfish.

With Fish so unwell, I’m not sure, she replied slowly but honestly, expression apologetic, but I promise you I’ll try my best to make it work. Even if it’s later on, I will come see you there. Meerkat paused, then thought aloud, It’ll be healing, I think, to see you where you belong, restoring your legacy.

She wanted to hear more about Sialuk’s plans and wouldn’t mind some more specific stories about her travels. Mostly, she just wanted to spend some time in her presence. But she fidgeted inwardly. Though she knew Swordfish was being looked after very well by the others, her whisky eyes found her husband’s face.

We ought to get back to Fish, she said for both their benefits, one of us, at least.

Did Njord mind going for now, so she could take a few more moments to catch up with her dear friend? She hated to dismiss him, though she hated more the thought of Swordfish waking up to find both his parents nowhere to be found.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
942 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Sialuk expressed such joy!

Njord observed the measured response of his wife.

He wished to know more about Moonspear and the history of Meerkat and Sialuk. Many of the tales she had shared were wrought with sadness. It sounded as if Sialuk intended to restore the land to its former glory. He would ask Meerkat at another time, perhaps.

The seafather took the hint. “I will see tae our boy,” he assured Meerkat. With a kiss on her cheek and a bow of the head to Sialuk, he turned and headed towards the Roja den to tend to @Swordfish.

Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Of course, you must care for your children first. This was what made her village sister a good mother to her babes. And the unspoken words between Njord and Meerkat were a delight to see as well. Their bond was strong, Sialuk knew from only minutes of seeing them with one another. It was so good to see her friend this way.

He is good ugi, Sialuk said when Njord had left them. Many men wished to be mine during my travels, but I knew the spear would call, and so... Now she was back, and Sialuk meant to reclaim her birthplace.

Tell more of your children, yes? And more of Njord!
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Would it be okay to fade this to black with them having a nice, long chat?

Njord immediately picked up on the implication and dismissed himself. She leaned into his kiss, then rubbed her muzzle along his as he moved away. Meerkat’s gaze followed him for a few seconds before it returned to her friend with a smile.

Yes, he is, Meerkat replied, knowing she would eventually tell Sialuk about the summer’s hardships.

Right now, though, her brows rose inquisitively at the mention of many proposals and she rejoined, Sure, I’ll tell you everything about our lives together, while getting comfy beside Sialuk, but only after you tell me every last detail about these suitors. I’m not kidding, I want to hear everything you’ve been up to since last we spoke.