Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
All Welcome 
there was a new soldier.

@Towhee was her name. she was a former companion to the matrona. tamar stopped outside the dens nested for the auxillia, wondering if the guardian had made her bed here or chosen to sleep out of doors, like kallik.

with her she had brought the requisite armful of pine boughs and two pelts: the beginnings of a mattress for the newcomer. the girl's tail swayed as she waited.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The sun was starting to set. Towhee’s jaws parted on a yawn, yet before she began making her way toward the denning area, she decided to do a cursory patrol. She wanted a chance to better familiarize herself with the perimeters, especially because the landscape was so different here.

But eventually she did approach the cluster of small stone caves. Towhee passed what appeared to be a bunch of drying skins before pausing in front of the little domiciles. Was this a natural rock formation or had Germanicus made some of his soldiers build it as part of a punishment?

She suddenly noticed a sandy figure through the gloom, standing just outside the mouth of one of the dens. There were some branches and what looked like more skins at her feet. She reminded Towhee so strongly of her eldest two daughters, her breath caught in her throat.

Hey, I didn’t see you there, she said, padding closer. I’m Towhee Redhawk, a new Auxillary.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
the woman was striking.

"towhee redhawk. i am tamar galanis. i am housekeeper to mereo." a thrill to say her married name aloud! for now the girl kept her second calling veiled.

"i have come to welcome you. and to bring these things for your den." the young wolf offered a shy smile that lit her pale eyes before she turned to glance over the stone caves. she wondered which one towhee had claimed for herself.

and all the while tamar remained deeply curious.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee had never heard that term before, though it was pretty self-explanatory. Tamar said she was here to welcome her and furnish her den. Towhee glanced at the objects at her feet, the skins reminding her of watching Sialuk treat skins for her ulaq.

She followed Tamar’s gaze as she peered at the nearby doorways. I haven’t actually picked one yet, Towhee admitted. Is the one on the far left end available?
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar looked over. 

she padded to inspect the round entrance. it seemed that none of the others had claimed this yet. 'kallik does not use a den. only glaukos and diesel sleep in this place. so many rooms are available."

the girl smiled encouragingly at towhee, returning to grab her bundle and carry it into the empty space. she chose to unwrap the bedding against the far wall, humming lightly as she worked.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It appeared to be vacant. Towhee thought about carrying the provisions but Tamar quickly fetched the bundle and strode toward the threshold at the far end of the row. The Redhawk followed.

Tamar went inside and immediately began to arrange the items. Towhee felt slightly awkward as she hovered in the doorway. She wanted to insist on doing this herself but she didn’t want to insult Tamar.

Thank you, Tamar, Towhee said while she worked, realizing she hadn’t said it yet. When you’re finished, would you like to sit and talk?

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar felt herself redden at the idea.

was it a strange offer or did she only find it strange because she was still unused to being sought out for conversation? the girl nodded.

smoothing down the coverlets over the fragrant pine branches, which she had pulled and trimmed to ensure no sharp edges, the young mereoan retreated to the denmouth and sat there placidly, tail wrapped around her forepaws and features entreating towhee to speak first.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Tamar took care to smooth out her handiwork before retreating toward the doorway. Towhee moved inside to inspect the bedding, tail waving as she sniffed at the fragrant branches.

Turning, she nodded and repeated, Thanks for doing that. Makes it feel cozy. Smells good too.

Taking a seat a few feet from the other she-wolf and positioning herself to lipread despite the gathering dusk, Towhee said, Will you tell me about yourself? How’d you come to be Mereo’s housekeeper?

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
"i served the queen in akashingo."

tamar's voice was soft and careful. "i kept her rooms and her appointments. it was not a difficulty to offer the same here." the difference was that lady ruenna did not see her as a servant.

"that is where i met arsenio. he is my husband. it is — new," tamar admitted, face warming once more. "i told the matrona that i would like to keep the history of mereo."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her brows raised. Immediately she wanted to ask if Tamar had liked living in Akashingo. But before she could, her daughters’ lookalike revealed something even more fascinating: she was married to Arsenio.

I’m meant to assess Arsenio, the other Auxillia too, Towhee shared. I’m sure he’s not thrilled about it… and I don’t actually blame him, or the others. Who wants some annoying stranger coming along and deciding if they’re any good? She could laugh about it though, and did.

Anyway, does that mean you’re angling to be a historian by trade?

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
"yes. the imperator gave you a task."

she liked germanicus, save for the remembrance of what had been done to free her. what he had faciliated.

"the men are just now getting to know each other. you are right that they will not take warmly to you." she was silent for a moment. "they learn about one another in the ring. and when the imperator takes them on their training."

a historian. tamar nodded, pale eyes brightening. "yes. i think it might be of use one day."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
And that’s fine, Towhee rejoined. I get it. I’m some random stranger who claims to be a master. They shouldn’t take me at my word. But I’ll show them. Realizing how that sounded, she laughed. I don’t mean that like, I’ll show them! She theatrically shook a fist. I mean like, I don’t mind having to demonstrate that I have a lot of experience I’d like to pass along to them.

She nodded at Tamar’s comment about keeping Mereo’s history. I’m a historian myself, although I’m not much of one. Maybe I should even knock that off my resume and work on mastering as a tactician, Towhee pondered aloud. But it’s an important calling. And we don’t have to discuss it right now but I’d love to hear some of your anecdotes about Akashingo, if you’re willing to share sometime?

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
a gentle laugh followed towhee's jesting.

and then tamar's face gentled into something more solemn. "i do not like speaking of akashingo."

her ears pinned back in surprise at herself. "i can — tell you of the politics?" she offered instead, feeling rather offensive. tamar was not used to speaking so directly. "i was treated well there" — a flash of satsu speaking, giving her to ramesses "— but pharaoh is not a good man."

she liked towhee. "you have know the lady ruenna before?" she asked, hoping with held breath that towhee would understand.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Tamar’s admission said a lot. Oh, then we don’t— Towhee began, when the housekeeper offered to tell her of the politics. I’m sure someone else can tell me about that, so don’t worry about it, Tamar.

Tamar changed the subject and Towhee was more than happy to follow the new flow of the conversation. Yeah, we go way back. She’s always been a huge support to me, helping me lead my pack and even raise my kids. Now it’s my turn to support her. Mereo couldn’t have a better matriarch.

That made her think of whether Rue would get the chance to welcome a litter of her own soon. I’m hoping I could maybe be the aunt to her kids, like she is to mine. Hell, maybe that would scratch the itch that kept bothering her now and again about more kids of her own.

Do you and Arsenio plan to have any kiddos? Towhee wondered conversationally, curious how breeding worked in Mereo.

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar smiled.

"i welcome the thought of the matrona's children. they will be kind, the way that she is." tamar agreed wholly with towhee's exaltation of lady ruenna. she was hardworking and fair, moving each day about the canyon despite her limp and her pain.

"yes," she answered the soldier with a small grin. "i think that arsenio and i are the only others allowed to conceive under the law here."

she found it fair but she had already come to mereo with that privilege.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She felt the usual twinge, the confusing cocktail of unpleasant emotions when Towhee came face to face with the fact she required permission to bear a litter now, if the opportunity arose. But that was the thing: there was no reason to expect it would, or that she would even want to take it.

Pushing it from her mind, Towhee said, Two litters will be the mark of a prosperous pack. I don’t know you yet but I can tell you that motherhood is gonna be an adventure. I have a whole mess of kids, a grandkid too, with more on the way this spring. There was a bittersweet look in her eye.

Remind me, what’s the law? Just, she said, curious. Perhaps morbidly curious.

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
children. grandchildren.

tamar wanted to ask why towhee was not with her growing family. but perhaps that was the reason for the look in her eye. the new soldier intrigued her in a way they others did not. she had not spent much time with diesel. that towhee was a woman who fought was of particular interest to tamar.

"the imperator and the matrona have told us that children must be inside a marriage sanctioned by akashingo. conception among female soldiers means he will demote you. men receive a punishment as well. plebians are allowed to marry soldiers. it seems as though this way is preferred."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I’m not sure I follow, Towhee said. He’ll demote you even if it’s sanctioned? That didn’t make sense to her. It was usually the highest-ranked or at least most esteemed wolves who bred. Besides, why strip a parent of their rank regardless?

But Mereo was a place unlike any other she’d known. Even Moonglow had treated marriages and children much differently than the traditions Towhee had always known. She tried to keep an open mind, even as her eyes lingered on Tamar’s lips.

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar nodded. "he is traditional. i do not think he wants pregnant soldiers."

why would a woman wish to fight while carrying young. "the way he trains them is harsh. at times they are kept on rations. he teaches them many skills for survival."

a pause. "i would seek his clarity. i am not sure of the imperator's thinking. if it is sanctioned, i believe you may return to the military after a time. but if it is not —" she shrugged, curious to know if towhee meant a differing role for herself than the one she now held.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When Tamar made that point, it actually made a bit more sense to Towhee. It still kind of smacked of sexism. She would’ve liked to say she could still fight like hell while carrying pups but that was bullshit. Especially toward the end of her last pregnancy, she had felt exhausted and heavyset. And she wouldn’t have wanted to fight in that condition for other, obvious reasons.

I’ll have to ask him more about it sometime, the Redhawk agreed, but thanks for explaining it to me. I don’t think any of it’s going to be relevant to me. I never plan on having another mate. So puppies weren’t possible, so long as she lived in Mereo, unless she changed her mind. And that wasn’t going to happen…

The conversation had put her into a bit of a pensive mood. Towhee realized she was extremely tired. Thanks for staying and chatting, Tamar. And thank you again for putting this together for me. She gestured at the bedding. Think I’m feeling about ready to put it to good use.

Raventhorpe
Læknir
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Sitter
Therapist
tamar now wanted to know this story.

where was her mate now? was that why she was not with her children?

towhee was kind.

but her next words were a dismissal. tamar knew as much from her time in akashingo; she was perhaps hyper-perceptive to anything resembling such.

"sleep well, towhee." the girl unfurled herself from the doorstep and dipped her head. "i will speak with you again."

stepping away, tamar started back to her own den glancing once along her shoulder.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I will, thanks to you, and the long, hard days that defined life in Mereo already. Putting a paw to her mouth to muffle a sudden yawn, she dipped her head to Tamar. Good night.

She popped her head out the door to watch the golden figure fade into the dusk. Towhee thought she saw Tamar glance back, so she lifted a paw in a wave.

With another yawn, she withdrew indoors and flopped down onto her bed with a grunt. Towhee thought her brain might keep her awake a bit longer but she fell asleep within moments of shutting her eyes.