Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Towhee felt a lot of mixed emotions as she approached the tablinum. She came to a halt just outside and heaved a sigh. She should try to leave her feelings at the door and focus on the task at hand: consulting @Aquene about her body’s sympathetic lactation. She supposed the medicus could formally confirm her pregnancy, though there wasn’t a doubt left in Towhee’s mind.

Aquene? she called, wondering how the younger woman’s own pregnancy was coming along. She supposed she was about to find out, assuming the Equestrian was here.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
There was much for the medicus to accomplish. She did her best to take it easy and rest often, if only for her husband’s sake, but she needed to prepare for the fact that they would be leaving. She needed to speak with @Ruenna and @Germanicus once the Matrona had recovered about what things would look like moving forward. The Equestrian had almost missed Towhee’s call, lost in her own head as she sorted through delivery herbs to ensure that she would still have enough. If not, she was going to have to go out. Perhaps she should speak to Germanicus about ensuring Qiao or even Mahler were in Mereo for her own birthing. She loathed the thought of coaching herself through it and she could not shift the puppies herself if something were to happen.

“Towhee? Come in.” She offered warmly as she made her way towards the edges of the tablinum. Everything had become tender and her sides had begun to swell. She’d started to feel them quicken inside of her, which had freaked her out quite a bit at first though she’d found herself slowly becoming more comfortable with it. “What can I help you with?” She asked with a hint of concern. Was something amiss?
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The healer looked a little preoccupied, though warmly welcomed Towhee into the tablinum. Thanks, the former Praefectus offered as she stepped inside, eyeing Aquene closely. She probably spent just as much time around Rue and the pups, why weren’t her nipples crying?

Taking a seat, she motioned at her underside, where her teats slowly wept lactic fluid. This isn’t a big deal or anything, I don’t think… but I figured I should ask you about it. I’m wondering if there’s a way to stop it without affecting my milk production later. If not, I’ll just grin and bear it.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She motioned to her underside and Aquene examined, discovering the leaking nipples. She spoke and Aquene hummed. She knew of possible remedies, none of which she had ever used for sympathetic lactation. “I can give you peppermint. In small doses it will temporarily impact your supply but it will not affect it later on.” She assured the woman with a soft smile before fetching a singular leaf.

She was relieved that she had never had this issue before, even being around Rue and the pups as much as she was with her constant vigilance to ensure they all remained healthy. “Apart from that, how are you feeling?” She asked as her head tilted to the side. She noticed the difference in her form, the subtle changes associated with early pregnancy. “You’re pregnant once more.” There was even a hint of excitement, seeing her go through a pregnancy when she still had so many questions about how Towhee’s lady nuts might affect the process.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She huffed lightly when Aquene recommended peppermint. It was one of the more inoffensive remedies, so she would take it. Maxim would probably appreciate the fresher breath. They didn’t exchange kisses but more often that not, she woke up to find herself mouth-breathing in his face.

Towhee accepted the leaf by scooping it onto her tongue, where she let her saliva start breaking it down. She savored the burst of flavor, keeping her attention on Aquene to catch her words. As much as part of her wanted to leave now that she’d gotten what she needed, she lingered despite herself.

No, you, she quipped in reply to the healer’s declaration. I’m feeling fine, a bit bitchier than usual. Mood swings and stuff. And I feel like a bottomless pit, I can never get enough to eat… But was that what the medicus wanted to know? I don’t think I’ve ever really had symptoms before. Like morning sickness? We don’t know her. I told you I once went through a whole ass pregnancy without realizing it, right? Towhee laughed.

Anyway, how about you? she asked, raising a brow and nodding toward Aquene’s growing baby bump. Guess you were right, huh? Towhee teased. Where are you at with it all? she wondered, finally swallowing the crumpled, minty leaf still hanging out in her mouth.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She watched as the woman took her medication eagerly and there was a soft hum before she snorted at her quip in return. It was quite the Towhee response. “I know the feeling. Kallik brings me extra food every day and I still easily devour it.” She teased lightly, because she certainly had become something of a black hole herself.

She chuckled softly and raised a brow as Towhee mentioned that she was right. “Was there every any doubt? You wound me, Towhee.” There was a jest on her tongue, a light tease before she shrugged. “I am… excited… nervous too.” She admitted with a soft sigh as she took her seat. “My mother… she passed during childbirth delivering my younger siblings, and then the Matrona with her bleeding and the strain it placed on her… the idea of labor makes me apprehensive. She offered with a hint of sadness and anxiety in her tone that would be lost on the deaf woman’s ears if not for the microexpressions that came with it.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee’s eyes fixed on Aquene’s lips as she shared her complicated feelings about her own condition. Any new mother might be nervous just because, though the healer shared a compelling reason—several, actually—why the thought of labor and delivery made her anxious.

I won’t sugarcoat it: shit definitely happens. Sometimes literally. But our bodies are built for this, so there’s that. My mother actually died giving birth too, to my litter mates and me. Meanwhile, I’ve had two relatively unremarkable deliveries. So, just because it happened to your mom doesn’t mean it’ll happen to you. Knowing what you know, you’ll probably be prepared for every eventuality and it’ll be textbook, Towhee finished with a reassuring pat to the medic’s shoulder.

The contact suddenly reminded her of her mixed feelings about this rendezvous. It wasn’t exactly the elephant in the room, but neither one of them had made any mention of Aquene’s upcoming departure. Towhee didn’t really want to talk about it and she’d actually been avoiding the medicus. She understood why some wolves needed to go—and that Aquene and Kallik would be great assets to a new outpost—but that didn’t mean it wasn’t a big, fat bummer.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She had allowed herself to stir in it quietly and with her husband for long enough. They came to the surface in the form of telling a woman she trusted unquestionably, and who had much experience in this regard unlike herself. Shit definitely happens. It did not do much to soothe her anxieties, she would admit… but she reminded her of a few things: their bodies were certainly built for it. Even with the Matrona, who had injuries that had worked against her in the process.

“I’ve only ever seen the process kill… or almost kill.” She admitted again with a frown as the woman gave her a reassuring pat that didn’t quite hit like she might have been planning on. It was hard not to dwell. She did not know what else to speak about either, unsure if the former Praefectus was aware of the fact that she was leaving. She would have liked to think if the woman knew, she might speak to her about it. She had some time yet still; they would not leave until the children were born and could safely travel the distance to the Vale, but Kallik’s ventures to help Arsenio scout the lands weighed heavy on her and she was certain soon others would notice his and the Roman’s frequent absences, and start asking questions. “So… Maxim? I must admit, I was surprised to hear you had taken a husband after our conversations on your relationship history.”
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There wasn’t much Towhee could say to that riposte. Her lips turned down at the corners. If Aquene was still in Mereo when Towhee’s time came, she would do her damnedest to give the medicus an easy delivery… and, of course, hopefully she would get one of her own.

The healer changed the subject and Towhee was just glad she wasn’t bringing up the outpost. I’m only using him for his sperm, she quipped, then more seriously said, It’s not that kind of a relationship; it’s a business partnership, not a romantic one. It works for us. I think he’ll be a good dad. If he isn’t, I get rid of him, she deadpanned expressionlessly.

Snorting a moment later, she went on, He’s been great, though. We’re going to have my brother’s help too. I’ve always believed in that ‘it takes a village’ approach. Have you met him yet? Phox?

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
The subject change came with another quip, causing the healer to raise her eyebrow. She supposed Germanicus would approve of such a partnership, since he seemed so wholly against emotions as a whole. “If he isn’t, I’ll help you get rid of him.” Her raging daddy issues had made her quite sensitive to such topics, and if he dared lift a paw against Towhee or any of her children, Aquene would no doubt be helping lead the charge against him. “I am glad you found something that works for you.” She added again with a soft smile on her features.

Then she was bringing up Phox and she chuckled for a moment before nodding. “Yes, I have met him… went to get myself a drink the other night and found him sleeping outside yours and Maxim’s den.” She explained, a softness in her eyes. “I am glad you have your family here to help.” She wished her own family had not been as douchey as they were, so that she might have that same support system. “It definitely does take a village, and he’s quite diligent and dedicated to the task of looking after you, though we both agreed that if anyone could simply take care of themselves, it was you.”
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
If anyone might know how to murder someone and get rid of the body, it was probably the medicus. Towhee snorted at the thought, then tapped her tail and bobbed her snout in appreciation of Aquene’s acknowledgement.

I could, Towhee agreed, but I prefer not to, if I don’t have to. Speaking of which, how often should I take the peppermint? One leaf a day keeps the nip drips away, or…?

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She was glad the woman herself seemed to agree. She’d seen the woman take a nice chunk out of her ex. The question quickly shifted her back to the medical, the safe… “The nip drips? Is that what we’re calling it now?” She asked with a snort of amusement though it was definitely a fitting term.

“Yes, one leaf a day for the next few days should do the trick. If you continue to have nip drips then come back and see me. There is something more I might be able to do.” It was just a little riskier on her post-birth production and she would not consider it until peppermint had surely failed.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Is that not the technical term…? Towhee joked, shrugging. She wasn’t a medical doctor, though she abruptly wondered if there was a clinical term for this phenomenon. If anyone knew it, Aquene would.

The medicus confirmed the daily dosage and Towhee nodded her understanding. Okey dokey, doc. I’m gonna head back to the sparring arena now, if that’s cool. To observe, she clarified, just in case Aquene was about to give her the stink eye.

She was perfectly capable of fighting while pregnant, especially this early, but Towhee knew that wasn’t necessarily the overarching impression in Mereo. She didn’t feel any particular need to argue against it much. If everyone wanted to treat her like a fragile flower, then she would at least take the most of the pampering and rest.

Although, she thought aloud, imagine what cool weapons milk cannons might make in the pit.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
The joke brought a soft chuckle once more, though Aquene did not offer any kind of official statement as to what it was called. She assumed the experienced mother knew. She mentioned sparring and at first there was concern, but then she was quickly clarifying and Aquene nodded. “Have fun, watching wolves climb all over each other.” She teased lightly.

It wasn’t until her next comment that Aquene was laughing harder. Much harder. “Imagine the look on the Imperator’s face if you suggested milk cannons as a source of defense.” She teased back, half musing to herself in the process as well.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Def, the Redhawk threw over her shoulder as she began to turn, tossing Aquene one last smirk and twitch of her tail as she faced forward, breath fresh and nipples ready to fire.

(She unfortunately missed the healer’s quip about the Imperator, though Towhee had the very same thought as she doubled back to the arena. Maybe she would have to float bioweapons past him the next time she saw Germanicus.)