Ocean's Breath Plateau ivruk
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
Maybe @Marina if you want? Open!

Raiyuk spent the morning doing a patrol around his father's lodge; the afternoon was full of other work, mostly the gathering of bark sheets and other things for the lodge itself, as his father had requested. After a few hours of this the boy took a break.
He went and found water, and sat near the front of the lodge while he rested. There was still so much to be done and it would take many days; already the winter sun was drifting to the horizon for an early night, and Raiyuk gave a sigh, realizing that he wasted an hour as he sat here.
As he got to his feet his stomach rumbled loud enough to be heard in every direction. He had forgotten to eat, all day!
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Gazing at the ocean views afforded by her new residence, Towhee couldn’t help but think about Simeon, Malakai, Dinah and Ava Amara. She pondered everyone’s behavior during Caracal’s funeral. Surely they hadn’t stayed there after that. She should find out for herself, though every time she thought about setting foot on the island, her stomach clenched. She wasn’t ready to face those memories. And what if she found Heda there, after all? By now, Towhee wanted to strangle the woman.

Besides, she had no intention of leaving the plateau for the foreseeable future. It was time to hunker down with her brother for a little bit. But she did want to make sure her loved ones know where to find her, so Towhee climbed to her feet and began to meander the plateau. She wanted to meet her pack mates and find out whether any of them was a messenger by trade.

The first wolf she came across was young, perhaps the same age as her youngest children and grandchildren. Perhaps it was that thought which jogged her memory, because there was nothing particularly familiar about him as Towhee approached. But the closer she came, the more she got the distinct impression she knew this boy somehow. Perhaps she’d seen him around one of the villages?

Hiya, Towhee greeted him, his name hitting her like a lightning strike, Raiyuk?
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Someone was approaching the lodge. It was a dark figure that he did not recognize, and so he stood tall and watched them until they were closer — determining whether or not they were a threat, or somehow the stranger who had attacked Marina; but this was a woman, and so he relaxed.
A woman who knew his name? His brow went from knit with concern to raised, utterly disarmed.
I am Raiyuk, yes? Who was this woman? How did he know his name?
He did not realize that this was someone he had met before, as a cub. His memories of those days had faded as he matured, moved from village to village, and was made to focus on more adult tasks; so he had effectively forgotten who this was.
Why was this woman here? Did you have need of something?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her eyes flicked to the dwelling beyond him briefly before returning to the young man’s face. He looked a little stunned, which likely meant Towhee had remembered correctly. He confirmed his identity and she gave herself a mental high-five for her recall.

You probably don’t remember this but we met when you were ye tall, she told him, hovering a paw about two inches off the ground, in Moonspear. You were playmates with my granddaughters, Orca and Seal. Towhee grinned at him, then shook her head and added, No, I mean… I’m just getting the lay of the land and trying to meet the villagers. My brother, Phox, and I are staying here for the winter.

She almost mentioned her search for a messenger, yet Towhee shut her trap and let the boy get a word in edgewise. She tried to remember what little she knew about him. His parents had complicated names, though she couldn’t remember them exactly. She did remember that one of them was one of the two wolves she’d run across during their manhunt a few days ago.

Chakra, maybe? Something like that, Towhee thought to herself.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
They had met before? Even with the woman's explanation Raiyuk could not recall ever being that small. However when she mentioned Orca and Seal, Raiyuk's uncertainty fled immediately. He seemed to melt at the mention of Seal specifically, and go warm in the face, and he was too distracted by the warm feelings to hear the rest.

Yes, I know Seal. We went to the desert together, he said this fondly, and then caught himself and added, and with Heph! For a -- a diplomatic mission. He remembered how they'd danced at the party, as awkward a memory as that was.

Do you have a lodge? He asked of the woman. This one here is my father's, for his wives. I am building on to it so there is more space through the winter. I could help you with one of your own, if it is something you two need? Raiyuk chose not to question why a brother and sister might bed together for a season, given that he had no siblings of his own, and his only experience around adults involved marriages of varying types; if the idea of a brother and sister together disturbed him, he gave no indication.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His comment about Seal piqued her interest on several levels. It sounded as though the two youngsters were still in touch, which pleased her. Towhee remembered comforting Seal when this young man and her older brother had departed Moonspear around the same time. That was the day she’d taught the girls about Sneak Up Granny.

And now she was running diplomatic missions to the desert! Towhee would love to hear more about that, though Raiyuk swiftly changed the subject. He asked her about a lodge and she took a moment to marvel at how every single village seemed to have their own word for a den. She snorted lightly through her nose at the subtle reminder of other cultural differences.

Thank you for the offer, Raiyuk, but I think I’ll be alright without one, Towhee said, not mentioning that she didn’t want to go through the trouble of establishing a hearth she only meant to leave in a few months’ time. Phox might take you up on that, though, unless he shacked up with Heph wherever she resided.

But just because she didn’t need his help didn’t mean Towhee couldn’t offer hers in turn. She was no spring chicken but she wanted to do her part, earn her keep as long as she stayed here in Moontide. Expanding a dude’s den to accommodate his extra wives was as good a task as any, she supposed.

Can I help you with yours, though? she asked, motioning to his homestead. You asked me if I needed anything. I need to be put to work. Towhee paused, then asked conversationally, How many wives does your dad have?

Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
When she refused to entertain the offer for a lodge, Raiyuk accepted without hesitation that he was not needed; but she went on to suggest she could help with that of his father's, and he felt a sudden possessiveness to the work that made him want to say no, immediately. Chakliux had given him a long list of chores to keep him busy while he was away—and yes, he was permitted to ask Matteo for help, perhaps others—but the boy wanted to prove himself as a man to everyone, and there was a certain level of bravado that said to him, do not ask a woman for help.

Towhee wanted to be put to work though. Raiyuk gave her another once-over with his eyes, then looked to the lodge and some of the supplies he had already gathered. There was much still to do; but he wanted to do it himself. When Towhee went on to ask about his father's wives, Raiyuk focused his thoughts and answered, There are three; no, wait— he counted! Tullik is first-wife, and Marina is second. Two now. He had thought of his mother by mistake, but she was not among them now.

They are inside, tending the hearth and resting. If you want to work—they could use a fresh meal? Or new skins to tend. He was specific in this, keeping the lodge-work for himself.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Raiyuk gave her an assessing look. Towhee wondered what he saw. She was an old lady, sure, but still strong, capable. Perhaps she didn’t look it, though, since the youngster redirected her toward fetching a meal versus helping him extend the lodge.

This bothered Towhee, though she didn’t want to show it. She shot a speculative glance at the den, surprised to hear its residents were in residence at the moment. She should introduce herself. But if they needed food, then she didn’t want to show up empty-handed.

I’ll have to tap Phox to help because I’m a shit hunter, Towhee remarked lightly to the boy, pausing before adding, You’re sure you don’t need a hand with excavation or anything? Last call before I head off for food delivery…

Moontide
Adolescent
193 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The way the woman spoke was unlike anything Raiyuk had heard before. She cussed so casually, like a man and not, which made his ears burn. She said something about tapping a fox and that didn't make any sense to him; he presumed it was a turn of phrase he'd not heard before, and let it slide.

When she asked about helping again, he shook his head. I should get back to work. They will benefit from some food though, thank you. And with that he turned away, wanting only to focus on the lodge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He dismissed her. Towhee watched as Raiyuk turned his attention back to his lodgings. Her jaw tightened. Surely he didn’t mean anything by it—and she wasn’t going to hold it against a child—but this little exchange had really dispirited her.

She left to search for Phox. Not only would she see if he wouldn’t mind helping her hunt, she would probably send him back in her stead. Towhee knew she would be more useful elsewhere, perhaps along the borders.