Ouroboros Spine i am not standing still, i am lying in wait
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,228 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
when the pain of moondoe reached out, kukutux felt it. all day she had watched her daughter, noting any pinchedness to her expressions, any stiffness to her gait. the way that vairë lowered herself to the ground brought a knowing hum from her mother as well.

her emerald eyes did not insist upon watching moondoe through it all. she knew her daughter was in the repose and busied herself with pelts, though she could not concentrate upon them.

@Aiolos, kukutux knew, would be nearby. she went to the ulaq of @Shikoba and whispered that the young woman's time had come. with a glance to her mate, moonmother rose at the cry which held in the plum-purpled spread of early night and gathered a skin of herbs she had prepared.

for a moment, the duck trembled; her paw smoothed the silken finish, for she remembered, remembered the sea-girl.

send down your love to vairë, came the whisper to the dancing lights as she motioned for @Nasamiituuq to follow and hurried down the years'-worn path to the repose. if valiant stood close, she would give her law-son an encouraging grin.

the birthing songs followed. kukutux thought the growing daughter of moondoe quietly lay out the herbs as she chanted. "breathe, paniqa," said mother into the laboring ears. "sedna hears that you cry out."

water, sips of it offered from moss, and bites of elk's liver mixed with the piercing taste of elm.

against the earth vairë bore down, and a girl-child blotted with sunshine was born, shouting lustily in the immediate moments after her birth. her grandmother chuckled aloud, offering moondoe more water now. "you see? she answers!"

the pains went on; she chanted moondoe's anguish into herself and passed it out to the night. a second child came through the efforts of vairë, a thistledown daughter with alabaster tones. two girls! kukutux was pleased, and her joy came again in the form of renewed chants. nasamiituuq then was asked offered to her mother the elk, the elm, the water this time.

the thirdborn was destined also to be a daughter, a robust squalling babe with a striking curve of gold around her spine.

when vairë had been settled in her sleeping-skins, the trio of girls nestled beside her, kukutux nodded and fell into a contemplative silence.

for lightfoot: "ukluqiia. bear-caller girl."

for lariat: "qilaqnaq. she looks beyond the sky."

for lilyflower: "katuuniqi. thunder-drum voice."

she sat close as vairë called for valiant, glowing with her pride and great energy as the children made their small sounds.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Messages In This Thread
i am not standing still, i am lying in wait - by Vairë - April 12, 2024, 06:34 PM
RE: i am not standing still, i am lying in wait - by Kukutux - April 13, 2024, 07:58 PM